2014 Formula 1 in HD - Page 201 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 236Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6001 of 6025 Old 09-10-2014, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Tack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Valencia, Ca
Posts: 3,372
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post

What a great name for a car. Obviously inspired by the great Zora Duntov of Corvette fame. Zora Wiki.
stevew24963 likes this.
Tack is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6002 of 6025 Old 09-10-2014, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
stevew24963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boca Raton,Fla.
Posts: 2,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
What a great name for a car. Obviously inspired by the great Zora Duntov of Corvette fame. Zora Wiki.
Oh yeah.
stevew24963 is offline  
post #6003 of 6025 Old 09-10-2014, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Tack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Valencia, Ca
Posts: 3,372
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
Damn, that would be cool. Way north of what I could drop on a car, but what the hell, Chevy. Here. Take my money. A comfortable retirement is way overrated. :-)

Imagine Tack in that thing? He would have to beat the Emu's off with a stick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post
Don't even think about Tack in that,he has issues.

I may need help.

Emu's vestigial wings are no problem for shoulder to shoulder comfort but the length of their neck almost mandates a Targa stye top. I'm still kind of a purist when it comes to cutting holes in cars. We'll see how it goes.

At least I'm passed my Camel phase, so it should just be easier from here on out. The sheer amount of saliva just wore me out.


Tack is offline  
post #6004 of 6025 Old 09-11-2014, 06:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,170
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 850
9/11
Remember the victims, our fallen soldiers and all of their families.

Last edited by Bond 007; 09-11-2014 at 07:12 AM.
Bond 007 is offline  
post #6005 of 6025 Old 09-11-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Tack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Valencia, Ca
Posts: 3,372
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
9/11
Remember the victims, our fallen soldiers and all of their families.

Copy that.
Tack is offline  
post #6006 of 6025 Old 09-11-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
zeus33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,314
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
What a great name for a car. Obviously inspired by the great Zora Duntov of Corvette fame. Zora Wiki.

IIRC, Zora had pushed for a mid engine Vette many years ago.

As mentioned, they have been talking about this for well over a decade. Hopefully, it will actually happen.
zeus33 is offline  
post #6007 of 6025 Old 09-11-2014, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BGLeduc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 2,439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 217
What say you, esteemed arbiters of all matters F1?

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/0.../#pd_a_8301223

Maybe as a first step, the FIA could legislate a car design that does not need a team of engineers talking in the drivers ear, all to appeal to the greenies.

I voted No, I do not approve of the ban, but I am in a very small minority. That said, it will be interesting to see if the ban in anyway changes the pecking order.
BGLeduc is offline  
post #6008 of 6025 Old 09-11-2014, 07:01 PM
Senior Member
 
catonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 54
^ ^ I'm old school, make the bastards earn their money.

I can remember reading about how in the old days at Monaco there were so many gear shift changes that the hands of some of the drivers would be bleeding by the end of the race.

Those were the days....

Last edited by catonic; 09-11-2014 at 07:10 PM.
catonic is offline  
post #6009 of 6025 Old 09-11-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,170
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Reminds me of Senna in the 1991 Grand Prix of Brazil. His gearbox went out during the race and he only had 6th gear. This was, of course, before paddle shifters. He finished and won the race. He hurt so bad by the end of the race that his team had to help him from the car and he had trouble holding the trophy over his head on the podium.
Bond 007 is offline  
post #6010 of 6025 Old 09-11-2014, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BGLeduc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 2,439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by catonic View Post
^ ^ I'm old school, make the bastards earn their money.

I can remember reading about how in the old days at Monaco there were so many gear shift changes that the hands of some of the drivers would be bleeding by the end of the race.

Those were the days....
Scroll back a page or two. I posted a link to the famous in-car of Senna Monaco.

Not a single button can be seen on the wheel, and his right hand spends a lot of time shifting.
BGLeduc is offline  
post #6011 of 6025 Old 09-11-2014, 07:55 PM
Senior Member
 
catonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 54
^ ^ Yes, and his heel/toe technique as he was going around corners....UNBELIEVABLE.
catonic is offline  
post #6012 of 6025 Old 09-11-2014, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BGLeduc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 2,439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by catonic View Post
^ ^ Yes, and his heel/toe technique as he was going around corners....UNBELIEVABLE.
Yes indeed.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8By2AEsGAhU

There should be a law that this video and the Monaco video are required to be posted yearly in all F1 discussion threads.
catonic likes this.
BGLeduc is offline  
post #6013 of 6025 Old 09-11-2014, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Tack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Valencia, Ca
Posts: 3,372
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
What say you, esteemed arbiters of all matters F1?

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/0.../#pd_a_8301223

Maybe as a first step, the FIA could legislate a car design that does not need a team of engineers talking in the drivers ear, all to appeal to the greenies.

I voted No, I do not approve of the ban, but I am in a very small minority. That said, it will be interesting to see if the ban in anyway changes the pecking order.

My first instinct is to vote yes. Realistically the cars would need to be changed first. The "system" is designed with paddock help in mind. Can't just pull the lifeline like that. It's not like the drivers asked for the "system". Make the cars simpler then change the rule. Typical FIA half-baked knee-jerk crap.
Tack is offline  
post #6014 of 6025 Old 09-11-2014, 10:54 PM
Senior Member
 
catonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Reminds me of Senna in the 1991 Grand Prix of Brazil. His gearbox went out during the race and he only had 6th gear. This was, of course, before paddle shifters. He finished and won the race. He hurt so bad by the end of the race that his team had to help him from the car and he had trouble holding the trophy over his head on the podium.
I remember seeing footage of the end of that race, probably from the Senna movie on blu-ray. He stopped the car on the track very soon after crossing the finish line, IIRC, and his crew ran out to get him out of the cockpit. He certainly looked as though he had no hope of getting out of the car under his own steam.
catonic is offline  
post #6015 of 6025 Old 09-12-2014, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BGLeduc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 2,439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
My first instinct is to vote yes. Realistically the cars would need to be changed first. The "system" is designed with paddock help in mind. Can't just pull the lifeline like that. It's not like the drivers asked for the "system". Make the cars simpler then change the rule. Typical FIA half-baked knee-jerk crap.

Well stated, sir.
BGLeduc is offline  
post #6016 of 6025 Old 09-12-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zeus33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,314
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
My first instinct is to vote yes. Realistically the cars would need to be changed first. The "system" is designed with paddock help in mind. Can't just pull the lifeline like that. It's not like the drivers asked for the "system". Make the cars simpler then change the rule. Typical FIA half-baked knee-jerk crap.

While I think (as mentioned) that the drivers should actually drive the cars and not be told how to drive the car to maximize it's performance, this is yet another band aid that won't make the racing more exciting and bring viewership back to the sport.

These changes will make the sport more exciting and create some good racing:

Unfreeze the damn engine development.
Let the engines twist to 20k.
Get rid of the stupid fuel flow limits.
Allow in season testing.

You know the old adage, "you have to pay to play". It holds very true in F1. It costs money to be exciting. Get over it and let them race!
zeus33 is offline  
post #6017 of 6025 Old 09-12-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ericglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Just below the US in South Florida
Posts: 6,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I don't see a problem with communication. If the cars are to easy to drive, then this isn't really going to change that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

You know the old adage, "you have to pay to play". It holds very true in F1. It costs money to be exciting. Get over it and let them race!
And what will you be left with. There are only three engine manufacturers now. Next year there will be four. If they went balls out, then I could see Renault and maybe Merc throwing in the towel.

The answer could be the old idea of having two series. Formula None with the only rules being for safety and Formula Spec with a high end spec car for the drivers.

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
Ericglo is offline  
post #6018 of 6025 Old 09-12-2014, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
lobosrul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I really don't see the big deal here. So Merc is telling one of their drivers in which corner the other is faster or slower. Big whoop. Cant all the other teams do the same? I can get behind actually coaching a driver during the race being banned though. But, how far do you take that? Can you tell your driver he's using a bit too much fuel per lap and will run out before the race is over??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
The answer could be the old idea of having two series. Formula None with the only rules being for safety and Formula Spec with a high end spec car for the drivers.
I'd actually really like to see that. Perhaps have 10 races a year of "Formula None" on the newer super safe tracks, and 10 races a year of "Formula Spec" on the classic circuits. It'd be fun to see what the likes of Adrian Newey could come up with, with very little in the way of restrictions. It would also be fun to see who the best driver really is.
lobosrul is offline  
post #6019 of 6025 Old 09-12-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BGLeduc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 2,439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
I'd actually really like to see that. Perhaps have 10 races a year of "Formula None" on the newer super safe tracks, and 10 races a year of "Formula Spec" on the classic circuits. It'd be fun to see what the likes of Adrian Newey could come up with, with very little in the way of restrictions.
I think Adrian would like to know that too. That is why he is easing out of F1 in favor of Americas Cup sail boats and other pursuits.
BGLeduc is offline  
post #6020 of 6025 Old 09-13-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Tack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Valencia, Ca
Posts: 3,372
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Well, Formula E has officially made it's sketchy debut.

Nicholas Prost is making Rosberg look like a saint.


yankeeman likes this.
Tack is offline  
post #6021 of 6025 Old 09-13-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,170
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Well, Formula E has officially made it's sketchy debut.

Nicholas Prost is making Rosberg look like a saint.
I'd like to see Bruno Senna do well.
Bond 007 is offline  
post #6022 of 6025 Old 09-13-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Tack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Valencia, Ca
Posts: 3,372
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
I'd like to see Bruno Senna do well.

Bruno actually did "wall" instead of well thanks to Sato.
Tack is offline  
post #6023 of 6025 Old 09-13-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
stevew24963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boca Raton,Fla.
Posts: 2,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Well, Formula E has officially made it's sketchy debut.

Nicholas Prost is making Rosberg look like a saint.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8Bzmu1ZIVs
Wow! Electrified mayhem
stevew24963 is offline  
post #6024 of 6025 Old 09-13-2014, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Tack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Valencia, Ca
Posts: 3,372
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post
Wow! Electrified mayhem

That, maybe.

The rest was low voltage noise.

The whole race is on yootoob if anyone is properly caffeinated.

Tack is offline  
post #6025 of 6025 Old 09-13-2014, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ericglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Just below the US in South Florida
Posts: 6,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 40
One of the big demos at Cedia was Atmos. One of the demo clips was of the making of various pieces of a Red Bull along with Vettel driving the car.

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
Ericglo is offline  
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off