2014 Formula 1 in HD - Page 205 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 246Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6121 of 6130 Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zeus33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,397
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Apparently it isn't a foregone conclusion that Honda will have a great power unit. It always baffles me that HUGE manufacturers like Renault and Honda that have endless resources, people and technology at their disposal can have so many issues with a V6 turbo engine.


The report claims Honda is about three months behind schedule in the development of its first turbo V6 ‘power unit’, having encountered problems even greater than those struck by Renault as the troubled French marque prepared for 2014.

The specialist Autosprint said Honda’s development V6 currently consumes too much fuel and produces too little power.

“To try to recover,” the report explained, “Honda is investing massively and mobilising people and businesses around Japan.”



Honda delay could thwart Alonso switch – report



F1 2015 nose rules benefit Mercedes, Ferrari


Ricciardo: 'Last five races will prove if I'm faster'
zeus33 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6122 of 6130 Old Yesterday, 10:51 AM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 13,802
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
I stand by my original assessment of F1 cars not being optimal demo material for ATMOS. I value your opinion Scott and I was going to wait until I heard it for myself before I commented, but I trust kbarnes assessment, and as you can see below, he agrees. While he was thoroughly impressed with the rest of the demo material, the RB stuff did not belong.

It is surprising that even the tunnel didn't have overhead sound as that would be the ideal place for it. I based my original assessment on the fact that when I have been at races, the only "overhead" sound was commercial airliners (which shouldn't be heard) and the filming chopper (which I don't want to hear!).
I read it and own the demo disk too.

Whether or not there is content recorded up above... everything can benefit from an Atmos encoding. Everything.

The most important part you did not bold. "So, always, don’t expect Atmos to be a panacea – how good it sounds will depend on how well it was mixed, just as we know is the case with regular 5.1."



I think you would say different if they had mixed in some heavy reverb into the overhead channels for that tunnel sequence. Just sayin'


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- direct pod link


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- main website

Scott Simonian is offline  
post #6123 of 6130 Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 18,203
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 1823
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
I stand by my original assessment of F1 cars not being optimal demo material for ATMOS. I value your opinion Scott and I was going to wait until I heard it for myself before I commented, but I trust kbarnes assessment, and as you can see below, he agrees. While he was thoroughly impressed with the rest of the demo material, the RB stuff did not belong.

It is surprising that even the tunnel didn't have overhead sound as that would be the ideal place for it. I based my original assessment on the fact that when I have been at races, the only "overhead" sound was commercial airliners (which shouldn't be heard) and the filming chopper (which I don't want to hear!).
Yep - if you turn off all the other speakers and listen to the Atmos Red Bull clips - there is almost nothing at all in the overhead speakers. Not even in the tunnel. I actively seek out tunnels in my 911 Targa when the roof is open just to hear the engine noise bounced off the walls and roof of the tunnel! It would have made a perfect demo of Atmos, but it just isn't there. Can’t see why they even included the clips. FWIW I also though the same at the two Dolby demos I attended in London where they played the same clips in their large screening room.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kbarnes701 is online now  
post #6124 of 6130 Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
zeus33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,397
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
I read it and own the demo disk too.

Whether or not there is content recorded up above... everything can benefit from an Atmos encoding. Everything.

The most important part you did not bold. "So, always, don’t expect Atmos to be a panacea – how good it sounds will depend on how well it was mixed, just as we know is the case with regular 5.1."



I think you would say different if they had mixed in some heavy reverb into the overhead channels for that tunnel sequence. Just sayin'

Of course Scott. That's what got my attention with your first response was the mention of "the tunnel". Unfortunately, I haven't been to Monaco to experience it in real life, but there definitely should be some overhead reverberation from that. Apparently, the mixer didn't do a good job with the mix though.
zeus33 is offline  
post #6125 of 6130 Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
zeus33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,397
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
Yep - if you turn off all the other speakers and listen to the Atmos Red Bull clips - there is almost nothing at all in the overhead speakers. Not even in the tunnel. I actively seek out tunnels in my 911 Targa when the roof is open just to hear the engine noise bounced off the walls and roof of the tunnel! It would have made a perfect demo of Atmos, but it just isn't there. Can’t see why they even included the clips. FWIW I also though the same at the two Dolby demos I attended in London where they played the same clips in their large screening room.

I didn't know you read this thread kb. Thanks for your input. Yeah, I think all of us car guys are guilty of enjoying overpasses and tunnels and the great engine sounds that can be heard while driving through them, albeit at a higher RPM.
zeus33 is offline  
post #6126 of 6130 Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 18,203
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 1823
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Of course Scott. That's what got my attention with your first response was the mention of "the tunnel". Unfortunately, I haven't been to Monaco to experience it in real life, but there definitely should be some overhead reverberation from that. Apparently, the mixer didn't do a good job with the mix though.
When I drive through a tunnel at the fastest speed possible, changing gear just for fun and accelerating and decelerating, just to hear the engine hitting the red line in the gears, and the windows are down and the top open, I can hear AMAZING sounds echoing off the walls of the tunnel and the roof of the tunnel. And if I was making an Atmos recording of me doing this, I'd be damn sure to include some height effects - it's part of the experience of driving a high performance car through a tunnel!

BTW, FWIW I have driven through that tunnel in Monaco, and late at night when the traffic is light. And yes, the reverb off the tunnel walls and roof is sensationally good as you redline each gear
Scott Simonian likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kbarnes701 is online now  
post #6127 of 6130 Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 18,203
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 1823
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
I didn't know you read this thread kb. Thanks for your input. Yeah, I think all of us car guys are guilty of enjoying overpasses and tunnels and the great engine sounds that can be heard while driving through them, albeit at a higher RPM.
I don't follow the thread but because you quoted me, it showed up in my email notifications. Tunnel driving is one of life's little pleasures - especially in the small hours of the morning when there is no traffic and you can speed through, turn around at the other end and do it all over again. Oh yes!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kbarnes701 is online now  
post #6128 of 6130 Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Tack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Valencia, Ca
Posts: 3,439
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Getting further OT, sorry, but back in the days when superbikes had carburetors, in tunnels we would hit the kill switch, hold the bike wide open for a second or two, and then switch the ignition back on. The big backfire would scare the piss out of the people behind you. BOOM! Put that **** on Atmos.
kbarnes701 and stevew24963 like this.
Tack is offline  
post #6129 of 6130 Old Yesterday, 03:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,225
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
When I drive through a tunnel at the fastest speed possible, changing gear just for fun and accelerating and decelerating, just to hear the engine hitting the red line in the gears, and the windows are down and the top open, I can hear AMAZING sounds echoing off the walls of the tunnel and the roof of the tunnel. And if I was making an Atmos recording of me doing this, I'd be damn sure to include some height effects - it's part of the experience of driving a high performance car through a tunnel!

BTW, FWIW I have driven through that tunnel in Monaco, and late at night when the traffic is light. And yes, the reverb off the tunnel walls and roof is sensationally good as you redline each gear
I've learned a lot from you and you've been a great help in the past. Glad to hear you're an auto enthusiast as well as audio.
Bond 007 is online now  
post #6130 of 6130 Old Today, 02:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 18,203
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 1823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
I've learned a lot from you and you've been a great help in the past. Glad to hear you're an auto enthusiast as well as audio.
Thanks - yeah I have been into cars even longer than I have been into AV and audio. Big Porsche fan - I am on my 5th 911.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kbarnes701 is online now  
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off