post #6481 of 6613 Old 11-09-2014, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post
I believe Timo was driving for Jordan at the time.

It was Toyota: • Toyota driver blames dry tyres for slow last lap

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/200...on-motorsports
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6482 of 6613 Old 11-09-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 453
My bad
post #6483 of 6613 Old 11-09-2014, 08:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
Shame we don't have regular points for the finale, and perhaps Timo Glock could come out of retirement and let Lewis pass him for 6th to hand him a 2nd WDC. :-)
Amen, brother. It makes me sick that the current driver standings make it possible for the double points gimmick to produce an entirely different result than single points would have. Jesus, I would have thought that F1 would have had better sense than to buy into cheap NASCAR claptrap. Sheesh!
stevew24963 likes this.
post #6484 of 6613 Old 11-09-2014, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Mercedes wins!!!

and it was a dull race. Diffey makes it worse, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Amen, brother. It makes me sick that the current driver standings make it possible for the double points gimmick to produce an entirely different result than single points would have. Jesus, I would have thought that F1 would have had better sense than to buy into cheap NASCAR claptrap. Sheesh!
Hey now, leave Nascar out of this. They have decided to go off the deep end with their idea of a championship. Speaking of, I hope the Ryan (I haven't won a race, a pole and only a couple of top 5 finishes) Newman wins the championship. It will be one of the lamest racing championships of all time.
Crown7 likes this.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #6485 of 6613 Old 11-10-2014, 12:24 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
But with double points, he needs to finish 2nd or win.
No, he needs to finish no worse than 1 place behind Rosberg to guarantee the championship. If a non-Mercedes driver wins, Hamilton can finish 3 places behind Rosberg and still guarantee a championship. 36 points for Rosberg in second and 20 points for Hamilton in 5th is a 16 point advantage for Rosberg, still not enough to match Hamilton's 17 point lead.
post #6486 of 6613 Old 11-10-2014, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizwig View Post
No, he needs to finish no worse than 1 place behind Rosberg to guarantee the championship. If a non-Mercedes driver wins, Hamilton can finish 3 places behind Rosberg and still guarantee a championship. 36 points for Rosberg in second and 20 points for Hamilton in 5th is a 16 point advantage for Rosberg, still not enough to match Hamilton's 17 point lead.

You got me there. I, like most of the pundits, have conveniently ignored the possibility that Merc could finish anything other than 1-2.

Of course, there is also the possibility that Scarlett Johanson will drop by to give me a lap dance.

I am not sure which is more unlikely.

Last edited by BGLeduc; 11-10-2014 at 02:54 PM.
post #6487 of 6613 Old 11-10-2014, 05:51 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 86
^ ^ I think your chances with Scarlett are better.
BGLeduc likes this.
post #6488 of 6613 Old 11-10-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catonic View Post
So you're tellin' me that there is a chance…..

Quote, courtesy of Lloyd Christmas. :-)
post #6489 of 6613 Old 11-10-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
Mercedes wins!!!

and it was a dull race. Diffey makes it worse, as well.

Hey now, leave Nascar out of this. They have decided to go off the deep end with their idea of a championship. Speaking of, I hope the Ryan (I haven't won a race, a pole and only a couple of top 5 finishes) Newman wins the championship. It will be one of the lamest racing championships of all time.
Me too. "Winless points racer Newman wins first Chase designed to place utmost importance on winning races. Meanwhile, two drivers with a combined total of ten wins eliminated from even trying"

Nice.
post #6490 of 6613 Old 11-10-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow, I guess it only takes one loss for the Hamilton conspiracy machine to grind back to life. There sure are some nutball F1 fans out there.
post #6491 of 6613 Old 11-10-2014, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 45
For those of you who went to COTA, what kind of money did you spend hotel, tickets, trackside food & drink, etc).

My brother and I have discussed going in 2015, but it's not looking so good, just for hotel prices. I am trying to get him interested in going for the WEC/TUSC weekend instead.

Clearaudio Ovation/Magnify/Concerto v2; Herron Audio VTPH-2
Naim Audio ND5XS/NAC282/HC/NAP250-2; Dynaudio S3.4e2; REL R-328
post #6492 of 6613 Old 11-10-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post
For those of you who went to COTA, what kind of money did you spend hotel, tickets, trackside food & drink, etc).

My brother and I have discussed going in 2015, but it's not looking so good, just for hotel prices. I am trying to get him interested in going for the WEC/TUSC weekend instead.

Oink documented his trip fairly extensively last year, but I don't remember if he included costs. Should be somewhere near the back of last years thread.
post #6493 of 6613 Old 11-10-2014, 02:43 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
So you're tellin' me that there is a chance…..
There is demonstrated evidence that Mercedes is beatable. We have no evidence Scarlett will show up at your house
post #6494 of 6613 Old 11-10-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizwig View Post
There is demonstrated evidence that Mercedes is beatable. We have no evidence Scarlett will show up at your house
Talk about harshing my mellow. :-)
Tack likes this.
post #6495 of 6613 Old 11-10-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Oink documented his trip fairly extensively last year, but I don't remember if he included costs. Should be somewhere near the back of last years thread.
He included some costs. I remember the hotel was something stupid expensive. $1600 for 2 nights or something.
post #6496 of 6613 Old 11-10-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catonic View Post
No way. I think you have forgotten that Ricciardo has won 3 races.
post #6497 of 6613 Old 11-10-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Congrats to Massa.
Love to see Rosberg win the WDC.
Pretty cool seeing the Ferraris battling it out even if it was for last place (or something). Wonder if Raikkonen heard in his radio "Fernando is faster than you.".
post #6498 of 6613 Old 11-10-2014, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
He included some costs. I remember the hotel was something stupid expensive. $1600 for 2 nights or something.

Yeah, my brother looked into an Air B&B. It's $1050 for 4 nights. Then when his wife tried to book it, it was 500% higher for the F1 circus.

I told him trying to go is crazy expensive, but that I would join him if he can find something reasonable. He has moved the trip to his bucket list. Personally I doubt I will ever go to another F1 race. I've been to one five times, but now it's just way beyond my threshold of pain for cost.

For live racing, LeMans style is actually better. Longer races, more on-track action, and much better access to the paddock and drivers. The cars are just as cool too, IMHO. Audi R18 Hybrid, Porsche 919, etc. If I can get him to the U.S. round of WEC at COTA I think he'll love it.
stevew24963 likes this.

post #6499 of 6613 Old 11-10-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, my brother looked into an Air B&B. It's $1050 for 4 nights. Then when his wife tried to book it, it was 500% higher for the F1 circus.

I told him trying to go is crazy expensive, but that I would join him if he can find something reasonable. He has moved the trip to his bucket list. Personally I doubt I will ever go to another F1 race. I've been to one five times, but now it's just way beyond my threshold of pain for cost.

We priced it the first year they opened COTA and I couldn't believe how expensive it was. The equivalent tickets to the ones we had in Indy were 5 times the price! Just for the tickets!

It's a double edged sword, because you want them to do well so they continue to put them on and hopefully add more US races, but on the other hand, the prices will stay ridiculous because of it. It really doesn't make much sense financially anymore. If you have never been, it's one thing, but after you have been to an F1 race, it's really hard to justify that kind of money, unless you are well off enough that it just doesn't matter. Besides, the main part of the experience, was the scream of the V8 engines, without that......
RaceTripper likes this.
post #6500 of 6613 Old 11-10-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Congrats to Massa.

Love to see Rosberg win the WDC.

Pretty cool seeing the Ferraris battling it out even if it was for last place (or something). Wonder if Raikkonen heard in his radio "Fernando is faster than you.".

Agreed. Those Brazilian fans are enthusiastic! They are the same way with the MMA fighters.

I won't lose sleep over it, but I prefer Lewis to get it as I predicted in the beginning of the season. He has had way more reliability problems than Nico. With the exception of the slide this weekend, (could've happened to anyone on those tires), he hasn't made mistakes. Nico on the other had has made multiple ones.

Yes it was. That was the battle we were supposed to get all season, except it should've been for podium positions/race leads, not sixth place!
post #6501 of 6613 Old 11-10-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
We priced it the first year they opened COTA and I couldn't believe how expensive it was. The equivalent tickets to the ones we had in Indy were 5 times the price! Just for the tickets!

It's a double edged sword, because you want them to do well so they continue to put them on and hopefully add more US races, but on the other hand, the prices will stay ridiculous because of it. It really doesn't make much sense financially anymore. If you have never been, it's one thing, but after you have been to an F1 race, it's really hard to justify that kind of money, unless you are well off enough that it just doesn't matter. Besides, the main part of the experience, was the scream of the V8 engines, without that......

Hey, somebody's got to pay for Bernie's kids bar bills.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrit...r-bill-1565447
catonic likes this.
post #6502 of 6613 Old 11-10-2014, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Hey, somebody's got to pay for Bernie's kids bar bills.

Freaking ridiculous! It is absolutely insane the amount of money that these spoiled fing brats piss away!
post #6503 of 6613 Old 11-10-2014, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Bring it on! Peace out Merc. Don't let the door hit you on the way out! Oh, boo hoo. If you don't have a massive advantage on the rest of the field, you will take your toys and go home.....

Formula 1 Discusses Return to V-8s, Mercedes Says It Will Leave F1 If That Happens

Formula 1 teams and fans of all colors can agree: Those muted, altogether unsatisfying sounds from the turbocharged hybrid engines adopted this year need to go. But Mercedes isn’t agreeing with the crowd.

Mercedes-AMG Petronas chairman and F1 champ Niki Lauda told Global Motorsport Media that, “If V-8 comes back, Mercedes will be gone.” Lauda was referencing the ever-clearer possibility that F1 rules may write off the complex 1.6-liter turbo V-6 engines and electric motors that the FIA mandated for the 2014 season. F1 CEO Bernie Ecclestone said last week that “we need to change the regulations” and would “try to get rid of these (V-6) engines.”

There’s zero incentive for Mercedes-AMG Petronas to switch back, as the Silver Arrow has won all but three of the 18 races run this season, with the final race of the year happening in Abu Dhabi on November 23. Last month, the team clinched its first-ever constructor’s championship and even taunted Ferrari outside the Italian team’s Maranello headquarters. The same engine powers three other F1 teams including McLaren, Williams, and Force India, and Mercedes would very much like to see these contracts continue in order to pay off its extensive R&D bill.

The current season killed the naturally aspirated 2.4-liter V-8s that had been in place since 2006. Those engines wailed to 18,000 rpm and made 750 horsepower—or higher in brief bursts thanks to the KERS system. They were reportedly cheaper to develop, too, which is why lower-budget teams like Caterham aren’t in love with the newer engines, which can make only 600 horsepower and have two advanced electric motors that can boost horsepower to about 760 for 33 seconds on each lap.

Even Ferrari, facing gloomy results on track, voiced the possibility in June that it might leave F1 for sports-car racing because “nobody watches racing for the efficiency, come on.” Renault, the only other engine manufacturer, has voiced similar concerns and could force F1, through a majority vote with Ferrari, to relax the rulebook on engine development starting in 2016. Honda, however, decided to return to F1 for 2015 after a six-year absence because of the stricter fuel-efficient regulations, such as limiting fuel to roughly 35 gallons per car in each race. Honda will replace Mercedes as the power behind McLaren starting in March. Whatever happens, we hope F1 clears its throat and gets back to being loud and proud.
post #6504 of 6613 Old 11-10-2014, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Bring it on! Peace out Merc. Don't let the door hit you on the way out! Oh, boo hoo. If you don't have a massive advantage on the rest of the field, you will take your toys and go home.....

Last month, the team clinched its first-ever constructor’s championship and even taunted Ferrari outside the Italian team’s Maranello headquarters.

post #6505 of 6613 Old 11-11-2014, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:

Guys,
Check out Montreal. Tickets can range from $55 a day to $450 (for the 3 days together) for the expensive seats. Hotels can be found more reasonably (about $250 per night (CDN $) for Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Other nights preceding and following these days usually are in the $150 range. Been going there for several years. Also many great restaurants and several race associated events in the city during race week.
post #6506 of 6613 Old 11-11-2014, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprace View Post
Guys,
Check out Montreal. Tickets can range from $55 a day to $450 (for the 3 days together) for the expensive seats. Hotels can be found more reasonably (about $250 per night (CDN $) for Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Other nights preceding and following these days usually are in the $150 range. Been going there for several years. Also many great restaurants and several race associated events in the city during race week.
Personally, I pretty much done with attending F1 races. It's crazy expensive, and after attending many ALMS, PWC, and other sports car races I realize how little bang for the buck you get in comparison. The 12 Hours of Sebring is $90 for a four-day ticket, and that includes access to the paddock all day, every day. I went to the USGP at Indy from 2003-07 and it was not so expensive, even with seats on the front straight Stand A Penthouse.

I was willing to entertain going to COTA for my brother's sake, but the expense is just out of control. I am still hoping to interest him in the WEC event. That should be more reasonable.

I hear the CAGP is a great event.

post #6507 of 6613 Old 11-11-2014, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Personally, I pretty much done with attending F1 races. It's crazy expensive, and after attending many ALMS, PWC, and other sports car races I realize how little bang for the buck you get in comparison. The 12 Hours of Sebring is $90 for a four-day ticket, and that includes access to the paddock all day, every day. I went to the USGP at Indy from 2003-07 and it was not so expensive, even with seats on the front straight Stand A Penthouse.

I was willing to entertain going to COTA for my brother's sake, but the expense is just out of control. I am still hoping to interest him in the WEC event. That should be more reasonable.

Yes. It is my favorite. I have attended the British GP and Indy F1 in previous years, but I find that Montreal is my favorite among these. Atmosphere there is just great. The city becomes totally "car centric" for that week. Even have the opportunity to see F1 drivers walking the city streets Wednesday, prior to the race. Thursday is a pit walk day, free of charge.
post #6508 of 6613 Old 11-11-2014, 12:10 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gprace View Post
How is Austin? Haven't attended there yet. Do you attend Montreal event? Been going there for several years.
Austin is good, Just came back, though if their hotel game is stepped up that would be awesome. too many people, not enough hotel rooms. Ended up meeting Nico Rosberg at a Whole Foods out there...my second USGP at Austin, will definitely go next year. Sorry for late reply, guess i dont have notifications set. Montreal i went this year, absolutely loved it. Already planning next year. Hungary is also on my hit list, though that may take a tax refund check for that to happen.
post #6509 of 6613 Old 11-11-2014, 12:15 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

For me Montreal is the easiest to get to and the most affordable. I will soon probably get out of the 3 day pass thing and just opt for the GA Friday/Saturday and get a seat Sunday. Actually, as a matter of fact, in Austin, you could have bought a ticket on the side of the road, that had the official logo and everything for cheap. Attendance was slightly down this year. the numbers have been steadily dropping. But a great turnout nontheless.
post #6510 of 6613 Old 11-11-2014, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

I have been attending Montreal for several years. Never disappointed. Since I live near NYC it is a 6 hour drive. Already have my tickets and hotel booked for 2015.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page