Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 6326 Old 03-10-2014, 07:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 857
Porsche 918 at the Abu Dhabi track on Top Gear this week. Looks a lot like a Ferrari 360 from the front. Just sayin...

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #1983 of 6326 Old 03-10-2014, 11:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post

I think one would be foolish to write off RB. In 2012 8 diffrent drivers from 6 diffrent teams one the first 8 races. In the end Vettel was champion. The first races will be great, but Newey and friends should not be discounted.
EXACTLY.wink.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #1984 of 6326 Old 03-11-2014, 12:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thank God these cars are still around and able to tear up Spa:

post #1985 of 6326 Old 03-11-2014, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Porsche 918 at the Abu Dhabi track on Top Gear this week. Looks a lot like a Ferrari 360 from the front. Just sayin...

A good friend from the Porsche Club commented that he found the styling of the 918 to be highly derivative of several cars, Ferrari (front) and Audi R8 (side view) among those I can recall.

I have not watched the show yet, but am looking forward to it.
post #1986 of 6326 Old 03-11-2014, 06:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post

A good friend from the Porsche Club commented that he found the styling of the 918 to be highly derivative of several cars, Ferrari (front) and Audi R8 (side view) among those I can recall.

I have not watched the show yet, but am looking forward to it.
Its a beast. All Wheel Drive and All Wheel Steering. Supposed to handle better than the P1.

post #1987 of 6326 Old 03-11-2014, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Its a beast. All Wheel Drive and All Wheel Steering. Supposed to handle better than the P1.

Please don't spoil anything from that episode of TG for me, but in the previous episode, Clarkson and Hamster were going at it arguing about whether the 918 or the P1 would be faster.

I look forward to the resolution of that debate, not that a lap of the TG track by the Stig is necessarily definitive, :-)

Clarkson was having a good time at Hamster's expense over the burning GT3 debacle.
post #1988 of 6326 Old 03-11-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:

Please don't spoil anything from that episode of TG for me, but in the previous episode, Clarkson and Hamster were going at it arguing about whether the 918 or the P1 would be faster.

I look forward to the resolution of that debate, not that a lap of the TG track by the Stig is necessarily definitive, :-)

Unfortunately, you are going to be waiting for a while. They aren't doing the comparison runs until June or something. I was EXTREMELY disappointed as they had led us to believe that it would happen in this episode. Hopefully by then, the LaFerrari will be available so they can compare all three.
post #1989 of 6326 Old 03-11-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

Unfortunately, you are going to be waiting for a while. They aren't doing the comparison runs until June or something. I was EXTREMELY disappointed as they had led us to believe that it would happen in this episode. Hopefully by then, the LaFerrari will be available so they can compare all three.

That's probably good planning on their part.

Maybe they will have a genuine sunny day with a dry track. I don't think they have had a single track lap yet this season that was totally dry. Even the VW/BMW laps last week that the Stig took were on what looked like a slightly damp track.
post #1990 of 6326 Old 03-11-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Have you guys heard about the new Eau Rouge 'concept' from Infinity? 560HP GTR motor is enough to grab my attention! I just hope they build the car!

When the kids nap I will be watching last nights TG.

October HorrorFest Participant
post #1991 of 6326 Old 03-11-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 432
post #1992 of 6326 Old 03-11-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:

Somebody's not a fan of TG.http://jalopnik.com/zenvo-is-pissed-about-top-gears-ultra-harsh-review-1527932695
lol, well TG has a point. You would think any car manufacturer that sends a car to these guys and how many viewers watch the show, they would get their ish straight. Plus compound forced induction is rather complex as far as tuning goes (and for installation).

October HorrorFest Participant
post #1993 of 6326 Old 03-11-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

This is true, but it looks more like the Porsche GT than anything else to me.

I really wish Porsche would bite the bullet someday and build something that doesn't look like a warmed over 911.

Quote:

Clarkson was having a good time at Hamster's expense over the burning GT3 debacle.
That was funny.biggrin.gif

Quote:

I was EXTREMELY disappointed as they had led us to believe that it would happen in this episode.
I thought so too.frown.gif

Quote:
Hopefully by then, the LaFerrari will be available so they can compare all three.
A test for the ages.cool.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

Have you guys heard about the new Eau Rouge 'concept' from Infinity? 560HP GTR motor is enough to grab my attention! I just hope they build the car!
Infiniti did say a year or 2 back they wanted to build SV special editions of some cars and take advantage of their connection to RB.

Quote:

Somebody's not a fan of TG.http://jalopnik.com/zenvo-is-pissed-about-top-gears-ultra-harsh-review-1527932695
Like they say, "Excuses are like a-holes...everyone has one."wink.gif

post #1994 of 6326 Old 03-11-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Gotta love this kinda stuff:

The mind games have started ahead of this weekend's season opener with Red Bull team principal Christian Horner saying Mercedes are clear-cut favourites to dominate in Melbourne.

While Red Bull have struggled during pre-season testing, their Brackley-based rivals and all the Merc-powered teams have been in top form with Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg leading the way.

Horner, a man who knows a thing or two about dominating the sport as his squad have won the double the past four seasons, believes Mercedes will be the ones to beat, and he fears they could win by two laps.

"You could well see more of it [domination]," he said. "Perhaps not from us, but from Mercedes.

"Looking at Mercedes' race simulation, it wouldn't be a surprise if they finished two laps ahead of everyone in Melbourne. They have a massive advantage. What we know about Lewis is that he is extremely talented and naturally fast. And he's in a good team, so he's probably got to be the favourite going into the season."

He added on the Daily Mail: "Nico and Lewis - those two are favourites. Last season they were an equal pairing, so one assumes early on the competition will just be between them. They will have the other Mercedes-powered teams giving them a battle so they won't be able to let up."

post #1995 of 6326 Old 03-11-2014, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I really hope they have been holding back, but unfortunately I do think we are at a disadvantage to Merc. The question will be can they close the gap quick enough before Merc runs away with it? I really hope Alonso and Kimi work together and push each other instead of self destructing. I think they are both capable of extracting a little more from the car than it would normally produce. It will be a fiasco if they do coexist and drive the cars extremely well and the car just isn't good enough. I honestly don't think Alonso will stick around for another season if that happens.

F1 2014 Season Team Preview: Ferrari - Dark horses?

Once again, it seems the team from Maranello will play catch up; nothing is written, but Alonso & Co for sure are under pressure to deliver.

March 11th, 2014 (F1plus/Graham Kelloh).- Nico Rosberg summed it up. In the middle of the third and final pre-season test before everyone headed out to Melbourne for round one he reckoned he had a good handle on where his Mercedes team was on pace relative to all others. Well, all apart from one. For him, Ferrari remained a mystery. And he wasn't the only one feeling this way.

Perhaps appropriately F1's most enigmatic team has been the enigma of 2014 pre-season testing, for the most part getting on with its business without drawing attention to itself; in Anthony Rowlinson's words performing 'a measured and consistent programme'.

Confusing the whole issue, with Ferrari there was none of the extremes on show at either end of the spectrum from Mercedes or from Renault/Red Bull - instead the consensus is that while neither team nor engine were experiencing anything like the woes of Red Bull or Renault, and indeed were running pretty reliably at least, they weren't reaching for the stars either.

One Ferrari 'insider' was quoted in the final test saying that the Italian power unit is ceding some 75bhp to the Merc, with the Scuderia struggling to understand how the German marque was extracting so much power from the fuel restrictions.

Certainly, even before this year the Ferrari engine tended to be more fuel-thirsty than the rest. Equally certainly, there has been no rising-tide-lifts-all-boats experience with the Ferrari unit as there has with all of those powered by Mercedes, and if Ferrari has ceded ground then with engine homologation clawing it back won't be easy.

While the F14 T has looked a bit of a handful out on track, particularly with a loose rear end both upon acceleration (which caught Kimi Raikkonen out in Bahrain, resulting in him ending a test day slightly early after a smash) as well as more generally aerodynamically, something that has been a Ferrari trait for a while.

But nevertheless there seems a fairly strong case for optimism.

All the way through testing only the Ferrari has been a consistent presence among the Merc-powered teams at the business end of the timing screens.

At the very least, one would imagine that if the eight Mercedes-powered cars will get into Q3 at Melbourne then it will be the two Ferraris that complete the ten.

In the third test the red cars started to show their hand, and the lap times were fairly impressive: not quite on the level on show from the Mercedes but seemingly enough to place it in the next group up with the likes of McLaren and Williams.

Edd Straw described the Scuderia as 'coming up the rails', while some optimists have Ferrari as the Merc's closest challenger.

Furthermore, the Ferrari design has just about the tightest cooling out there, which reflects well on the team's confidence in the engine's reliability and in how the whole package works together.

Its millstone of the past few years of wind tunnel correlation and having to use the Toyota tunnel in Cologne appears lifted too, with its own tunnel recalibrated, reopened and reportedly giving results that chime well with what is happening on track.

Add to it that the team turned up to the second Bahrain test with loads of upgrades may show a collective with its technical swagger back. While for those of you who like their history, on previous occasions wherein the rules have changed radically, in particular engine rules, Ferrari has tended to be right there right away.

And in a converse sense Ferrari's low profile is likely to bode well, as had a red car gone after a headline-grabbing low fuel glory run it would have set off alarm bells, that the team had felt the need to get the Italian press off its back - indeed one recalls that it was in 2012's pre-season that everyone really knew that the car then was struggling when it did precisely that.

But whatever is the case at the broadest level the Scuderia simply must deliver this year. It's got all of the budget and facilities in the world, its previous wind tunnel problems sorted and its simulation capacity much improved, star technical recruits such as James Allison and Dirk de Beer, and one of the strongest driver line ups that the sport has ever seen, both experienced and smart - exactly what you want with the new formula.

President Luca Montezemolo has already given his pronouncement, that he is 'sick of coming second', and you feel that Ferrari has to make a credible championship challenge - and unlike the one in 2012 one not so conspicuously based on the skills of one of its drivers - at the very least. There is nowhere to hide. It all should concentrate the mind beautifully.
post #1996 of 6326 Old 03-11-2014, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Gotta love this kinda stuff:

While the guys definitely like to play mind games, I don't see this as being that far fetched. I don't know about 2 laps, but 1 is definitely a possibility. Unless the fuel concerns make them back off. I have a feeling that Merc will use their power advantage to qualify at the front and then shoot off ahead at the start (ala Seb last year) and then control the pace from the front.

Again, just pure speculation on what little bit of info we have gained from preseason testing.
post #1997 of 6326 Old 03-11-2014, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Buyer confirmed for Nürburgring circuit

19:13 – The Nürburgring circuit and its assets have been sold after a Europe-wide investor process.

The German venue and its surrounding hotels and theme park have been purchased by the Capricorn Group, a Dusseldorf-based automotive supplier, in a deal in excess of 100 million Euros (83.3 million pounds).

Rival bidders included investment firm H.I.G. Capital and, early on, Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone.

The firm, which manufactures a range of engine components, already has ties to the vast Nürburgring complex. It currently employs more than 350 staff, 100 of whom are based in a dedicated test centre at the circuit itself.

Capricorn will officially take ownership of the famous race track on January 1 2015, following which it is planning to invest a further 25 million Euros (20.8 million pounds) to carry out wide-ranging development work.

It has not been confirmed if Capricorn intends to stage future editions of the German Grand Prix. Under the latest hosting agreement, the venue alternates with Hockenheim, which is the location for this year's event.
post #1998 of 6326 Old 03-11-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone heard anything else about McLaren's rear suspension? It was a big deal and then you don't see or hear anything about it. Is it legal? Any teams copy it?

What about the other teams protesting Ferrari's turbo cover being too light? I haven't heard about that either.
post #1999 of 6326 Old 03-11-2014, 04:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I really hope they have been holding back, but unfortunately I do think we are at a disadvantage to Merc. The question will be can they close the gap quick enough before Merc runs away with it?
Looks like the $64,000 question: is there enough time (or do they even need it wink.gif )?

With RB, there is no question regarding the need for time.
No matter they are bringing a "new car" to Melbourne....it isn't tested and they are behind the 8-ball (or 3).

Quote:
I really hope Alonso and Kimi work together and push each other instead of self destructing.
I really really hope so.

They're a couple of vets in their 30s who know how to get the job done and should be mature enough not to throw hissy-fits.
I wanna be hopeful it works out, with the fans being in for a treat of watching 2 of the greatest ever battling alongside other and making this a season for the Tifosi to fondly remember.

Quote:
I think they are both capable of extracting a little more from the car than it would normally produce. It will be a fiasco if they do coexist and drive the cars extremely well and the car just isn't good enough.
Agreed.
I know Domenicali is Italian, but Luca will not let emotions get in his way of bringing the championship back to Maranello.

Quote:
I honestly don't think Alonso will stick around for another season if that happens.
Agree again.
His only decent shot would be back with McLaren (although I'm not convinced he and Ron Dennis can play well together).
I can't see him at RB, at least with SV there.

Quote:

While the guys definitely like to play mind games, I don't see this as being that far fetched. I don't know about 2 laps, but 1 is definitely a possibility. Unless the fuel concerns make them back off. I have a feeling that Merc will use their power advantage to qualify at the front and then shoot off ahead at the start (ala Seb last year) and then control the pace from the front.
I think you are dead-on....unless Ferrari has been sandbagging everyone.tongue.gif

Quote:

Has anyone heard anything else about McLaren's rear suspension? It was a big deal and then you don't see or hear anything about it. Is it legal? Any teams copy it?

What about the other teams protesting Ferrari's turbo cover being too light? I haven't heard about that either.
I haven't heard an update about any of this.....

post #2000 of 6326 Old 03-11-2014, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 432
WTF,Sebring on FS1 10:00-1:00,IMSA.com1:00-10:00. I guess we won't get to see the end,streaming will be down like it was at Daytona. Hope I'm wrong. :-(
post #2001 of 6326 Old 03-11-2014, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

They're a couple of vets in their 30s who know how to get the job done and should be mature enough not to throw hissy-fits.
I wanna be hopeful it works out, with the fans being in for a treat of watching 2 of the greatest ever battling alongside other and making this a season for the Tifosi to fondly remember.
Agreed.
I know Domenicali is Italian, but Luca will not let emotions get in his way of bringing the championship back to Maranello.

I agree with you entirely. Here's to hoping that a) they have a competitive car and b) they compliment each other. It'd be awesome to have them both be battling to win the drivers championship against each other this year.

On a side note,

Anyone attending the Long Beach Grand Prix? Any Long Beach Grand Prix veterans here who recommend a corner to buy tickets for in the stands?
post #2002 of 6326 Old 03-11-2014, 06:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

WTF,Sebring on FS1 10:00-1:00,IMSA.com1:00-10:00. I guess we won't get to see the end,streaming will be down like it was at Daytona. Hope I'm wrong. :-(
DON'T SAY THAT!frown.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceRocket View Post

Here's to hoping that a) they have a competitive car and b) they compliment each other. It'd be awesome to have them both be battling to win the drivers championship against each other this year.
+1000000

post #2003 of 6326 Old 03-11-2014, 06:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Theres coverage of Sebring on 3/16 at 8:30am EST on FS1.

post #2004 of 6326 Old 03-11-2014, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I am a huge Red Bull fan, mostly because of the Engineering that they have (I know a couple that have worked for the team in Engineering), but I am most excited to see the affect on Alonso of having such a strong teammate now. I think Ferrari will be real tough and their car looks great.

I am mostly hoping that these guys will still be able to go flat out though. Really concerned with the gas and tire limits. Really wish they would let them have as many sets of tires as they want/need and have them refuel. 3 second pit stops are not really that exciting IMO.

These cars and teams are cost no object, so why do anything to limit them from running flat out?
yankeeman likes this.
post #2005 of 6326 Old 03-11-2014, 09:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btinindy View Post

I am a huge Red Bull fan, mostly because of the Engineering that they have (I know a couple that have worked for the team in Engineering), but I am most excited to see the affect on Alonso of having such a strong teammate now. I think Ferrari will be real tough and their car looks great.

I am mostly hoping that these guys will still be able to go flat out though. Really concerned with the gas and tire limits. Really wish they would let them have as many sets of tires as they want/need and have them refuel. 3 second pit stops are not really that exciting IMO.

These cars and teams are cost no object, so why do anything to limit them from running flat out?
And Best Wishes for Mark Webber this year.

post #2006 of 6326 Old 03-12-2014, 05:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

post #2007 of 6326 Old 03-12-2014, 05:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

MS is showing improvement:

Michael Schumacher's family has released a positive update about his condition, saying he has shown "small, encouraging signs".

In the latest statement released by his agent, the seven-time World Champion's family says they "remain confident that Michael will pull through and will wake up".

The German suffered severe head injuries during a skiing accident in France at the end of December, but doctors at the Grenoble Hospital started to bring him out of a medically induced coma at the end of January.

Most of the statements since then said that his condition remains unchanged and it's a process that cannot be rushed.

His family once again reminded everyone on Wednesday that it's a slow procedure, but there were plenty of positive signs as well.

"We are and remain confident that Michael will pull through and will wake up," his agent Sabine Kehn said in a written statement. There sometimes are small, encouraging signs, but we also know that this is the time to be very patient.

"Michael has suffered severe injuries. It is very hard to comprehend for all of us that Michael, who had overcome a lot of precarious situations in the past, has been hurt so terribly in such a banal situation.

"It was clear from the start that this will be a long and hard fight for Michael. We are taking this fight on together with the team of doctors, whom we fully trust. The length of the process is not the important part for us.

"It is heart-warming to see how much sympathy his family is shown and I can say that the family is extremely grateful for it.

"However, it should not be forgotten that Michael's family is dealing with an extremely intimate and fragile situation. And I would like to remind all of us that Michael has always actively kept his family out of the public eye and consequently protected their private lives.

"We try to channel all the energies we have toward Michael and we firmly believe that this will help him. And we believe that he will also win this fight."

Rosberg shows some maturity...for now
:

Nico Rosberg insists he has no qualms about going head-to-head with his friend Lewis Hamilton for the World Championship this year.

Rosberg and Hamilton have been good friends since their karting days and there was no extra strain on their friendship when they became Mercedes team-mates last season.

However, there is talk that the two could be in for a fierce battle for the Drivers' Championships this year as Mercedes are certainly a good bet with Paddy Power for the 2014 title.

Rosberg, though, is confident they will "manage" despite their on-track battles.

"It will be tough for a friendship, yes," Rosberg is quoted as saying by Autosport. "Being a team-mate and, if you are fighting for some top results, it gets more and more difficult. But for now it has worked well.

"We were fighting for the Championship in go karts and no problem... well, problems yes - but after a week then there were no more problems.

"It is okay and I am sure we will manage to sort it out."

Many have made Hamilton their favourite to win the title, and you can bet on this more with Paddy Power Power, but some believe Rosberg can pull off a surprise.

"It is always going to be tough against him," Rosberg added. "He is very quick, but that is what I really enjoy about the sport - these challenges.

"That is what I am here for. I try to prepare as well as I can, and try to get the best out of every single area that is within my control - and then the rest will just have to wait and see."

post #2008 of 6326 Old 03-12-2014, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:

MS is showing improvement:

Michael Schumacher's family has released a positive update about his condition, saying he has shown "small, encouraging signs".

In the latest statement released by his agent, the seven-time World Champion's family says they "remain confident that Michael will pull through and will wake up".

The German suffered severe head injuries during a skiing accident in France at the end of December, but doctors at the Grenoble Hospital started to bring him out of a medically induced coma at the end of January.

Most of the statements since then said that his condition remains unchanged and it's a process that cannot be rushed.

His family once again reminded everyone on Wednesday that it's a slow procedure, but there were plenty of positive signs as well.

"We are and remain confident that Michael will pull through and will wake up," his agent Sabine Kehn said in a written statement. There sometimes are small, encouraging signs, but we also know that this is the time to be very patient.

"Michael has suffered severe injuries. It is very hard to comprehend for all of us that Michael, who had overcome a lot of precarious situations in the past, has been hurt so terribly in such a banal situation.

"It was clear from the start that this will be a long and hard fight for Michael. We are taking this fight on together with the team of doctors, whom we fully trust. The length of the process is not the important part for us.

"It is heart-warming to see how much sympathy his family is shown and I can say that the family is extremely grateful for it.

"However, it should not be forgotten that Michael's family is dealing with an extremely intimate and fragile situation. And I would like to remind all of us that Michael has always actively kept his family out of the public eye and consequently protected their private lives.

"We try to channel all the energies we have toward Michael and we firmly believe that this will help him. And we believe that he will also win this fight."

So, basically, nothing new... "We are and remain confident that Michael will pull through and will wake up" in other words we don't know anything but let's ponder the various rumors a bit.
post #2009 of 6326 Old 03-12-2014, 06:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

So, basically, nothing new... "We are and remain confident that Michael will pull through and will wake up" in other words we don't know anything but let's ponder the various rumors a bit.
FWIW, I don't think an official statement from the family would say he shows "small, encouraging signs" and "remain confident that Michael will pull through and will wake up" if he was one Death's Doorstep.
Of course, I could be wrong....wink.gif

post #2010 of 6326 Old 03-12-2014, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:

FWIW, I don't think an official statement from the family would say he shows "small, encouraging signs" and "remain confident that Michael will pull through and will wake up" if he was one Death's Doorstep.
Of course, I could be wrong....wink.gif

No no I agree smile.gif, it's just that it's really not much more than we already know...
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page