Forum Jump: 
 71Likes

post #2431 of 5200 Old 03-25-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I'm curious to see what Ford's answer will be, or if they will just ignore that part of the market. As mentioned, that's going to be a hard sell at that price. 70k + for a pony car? Ouch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 5200 Old 03-25-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

I find it cool that GM released that dedicated track toy, but I dunno how many people besides track rats that would buy the car. I mean no A/C would steer a lot of people that have that kind of cash away. But I do like their thinking about it!
I don't like the price or having to replace those Trofeos on a regular basis.

Quote:
Oh when I sold my Z this past weekend I saw a 2014 GTR and a all black ZL1 rolling on the fwy together. I miss my car but maybe in a few years I will get another toy.
If you weren't so far away, I would sell ya one of 2 of my toys I'm putting on the market.wink.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #2433 of 5200 Old 03-25-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I don't like the price or having to replace those Trofeos on a regular basis.
If you weren't so far away, I would sell ya one of 2 of my toys I'm putting on the market.wink.gif

It seems every manufacturer are going with Pirellis these days, Ford Mustang GT and this Z28. Granted the tires on the Z28 are way more expensive but the GT crowd will feel the pain as well going with OEM tires. If I was tracking the Z28 I would put some ToyoR888 and call it a day.

I wish it was my time to buy a toy oink! Are you selling your CTSV?

October HorrorFest Participant
post #2434 of 5200 Old 03-25-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If I was tracking the Z28 I would put some ToyoR888 and call it a day.
Hmmm, not familiar with that one.
Is it street legal?

Quote:
Are you selling your CTSV?
Not yet, unless I find a Viper on close-out.

The XLR and the Mystic Mustang Cobra are on the block.

post #2435 of 5200 Old 03-25-2014, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is it street legal?

http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/proxes-r888-DOT-competition-tires
post #2436 of 5200 Old 03-25-2014, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is it street legal?
Not yet, unless I find a Viper on close-out.

The XLR and the Mystic Mustang Cobra are on the block.

Edit saw Zeuses post! Guess they are now!

Ooo, I always liked the XLR and that color combo of the Cobra! I have seen some new Vipers for sale but I dunno if they are 'deals' as of yet. I think after the dust settles down maybe prices will come down a bit.

post #2437 of 5200 Old 03-25-2014, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:

Is it street legal?

I keep a saved search of DOT approved track tires available through Tire Rack.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/comp.jsp

I also like the Nitto NT01, although Tire Rack does not carry Nitto's. I run those on my 911 which is prepped for PCA Production Class (Autocross).

I would note that while tires with DOT approval are by definition street legal, many come with very shallow tread depth and are not all that happy in the cold or the wet. They also won't last long in street use (I am looking at YOU, Hoosier!).

Lastly, for a true dual purpose tire, the Extreme Category tires (BFG Rivals, Bridgestone RE11/RE11A, Yoko AD08/08R, Dunlop ZII, Kook RS3) are very capable track tires, and are safe for highway use. I have run the RE11 and AD08 on my Cayman, and they are great track day tires.

Brian
post #2438 of 5200 Old 03-25-2014, 04:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Edit saw Zeuses post! Guess they are now!
Unless I am mistaken, Toyos are/were being run in the TUDOR series and/or last year's ALMS (can't remember which team).

Quote:
Ooo, I always liked the XLR and that color combo of the Cobra! I have seen some new Vipers for sale but I dunno if they are 'deals' as of yet. I think after the dust settles down maybe prices will come down a bit.
PM me if interested....I'll give ya a helluva deal.wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post

I would note that while tires with DOT approval are by definition street legal, many come with very shallow tread depth and are not all that happy in the cold or the wet. They also won't last long in street use (I am looking at YOU, Hoosier!).
VERY true.

Quote:
Lastly, for a true dual purpose tire, the Extreme Category tires (BFG Rivals, Bridgestone RE11/RE11A, Yoko AD08/08R, Dunlop ZII, Kook RS3) are very capable track tires, and are safe for highway use. I have run the RE11 and AD08 on my Cayman, and they are great track day tire.
Thanx for info.

It sounds like you keep at least 2 sets of wheels?
One for street and one for track?

post #2439 of 5200 Old 03-25-2014, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I also like the Nitto NT01, although Tire Rack does not carry Nitto's. I run those on my 911 which is prepped for PCA Production Class (Autocross).

Lastly, for a true dual purpose tire, the Extreme Category tires (BFG Rivals, Bridgestone RE11/RE11A, Yoko AD08/08R, Dunlop ZII, Kook RS3) are very capable track tires, and are safe for highway use. I have run the RE11 and AD08 on my Cayman, and they are great track day tires.

Brian

Those are all great tires and I use to run the RS3's, how are the new Dunlops zII's?

post #2440 of 5200 Old 03-25-2014, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Brian

I ran AD08s on my MINI John Cooper Works and it was an awesome track tire, but chunked easily (I lost my front right, and the chunking was not gradual, but sudden).

I just replaced the tires on my Subaru STi with Michelin Pilot Super Sport 255/40/18. They were reasonably priced for Michelin, have a wear rating of 300 ( as opposed to 180 or worse for many high perf tires). While I have yet to track my Subie, a friend who tracks his 991 Carrera S runs Pilot Super Sports and loves them.

Clearaudio Ovation/Magnify/Concerto v2; Herron Audio VTPH-2
Naim Audio ND5XS/NAC282/HC/NAP250-2; Dynaudio S3.4e2; REL R-328
post #2441 of 5200 Old 03-25-2014, 05:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post

a friend who tracks his 991 Carrera S runs Pilot Super Sports and loves them.
A very popular tire right now.

BTW, where ya been?
Been waiting for your Sebring Report....

post #2442 of 5200 Old 03-25-2014, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

A very popular tire right now.

BTW, where ya been?
Been waiting for your Sebring Report....

I have been super busy. I am coming to the end of a 2.5 year contracting assignment. Last day is this coming Monday.

We skipped Sebring this year. I didn't want to spend a couple grand for a road trip to Sebring if NASCAR is controlling (err...efin up) things, so we are sitting this one out. We do have a hotel booked for Petit Le Mans if NASCAR can manage to keep their phantom cautions tucked away in their pants. The jury is still out on this, but it hasn't been great so far.

Clearaudio Ovation/Magnify/Concerto v2; Herron Audio VTPH-2
Naim Audio ND5XS/NAC282/HC/NAP250-2; Dynaudio S3.4e2; REL R-328
post #2443 of 5200 Old 03-25-2014, 05:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post

We skipped Sebring this year. I didn't want to spend a couple grand for a road trip to Sebring if NASCAR is controlling (err...efin up) things, so we are sitting this one out. We do have a hotel booked for Petit Le Mans if NASCAR can manage to keep their phantom cautions tucked away in their pants. The jury is still out on this, but it hasn't been great so far.
Oh, OK.

I agree "the jury is still out" on the TUDOR series....it definitely did NOT get off to a good start.rolleyes.gif

post #2444 of 5200 Old 03-25-2014, 05:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Just posted at the L.A. Times:

The high-performance Porsche that "Fast & Furious" actor Paul Walker was riding in was traveling up to 93 mph when it crashed and burst into flames, killing him and the driver, an L.A. County Sheriff's investigation found.
The rate of speed was determined using surveillance videos and electronic data retrieved from the car’s computers with the help of the carmaker. That would mean that the 2005 Porsche Carrera GT, driven by Walker's friend, Roger Rodas, was traveling about twice the 45 mph limit when it crashed Nov. 30 on a curvy road in a Santa Clarita business park.
[Updated at 2:55 p.m. PDT March 25: “Investigators determined the cause of the fatal solo-vehicle collision was unsafe speed for the roadway conditions,” said Cmdr. Mike Parker of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.]
Investigators also determined that a pair of 9-year-old tires contributed to the crash, not a mechanical failure. There was no evidence of any car system failures, such as the brakes, according to the report.
Rodas was a veteran race car driver, but the speed into a tight curve proved too much, investigators with the sheriff's department and California Highway Patrol found.
An earlier L.A. County coroner’s report had pegged the speed as being more than 100 mph, but the traffic analysis in the recent report determined it was a bit slower.
Walker and Rodas were killed almost instantly, succumbing to multiple traumatic injuries and a fire that quickly consumed the car.
Walker died of "severe blunt head, neck and chest trauma," sustaining a broken arm, wrist, jaw and ribs, according to the coroner's report. The fire burned his body beyond recognition.
Rodas suffered similar injuries and a fractured skull.
Investigators spent months examining the videos, interviewing potential witnesses and working with experts from Porsche in Germany and tire manufacturer Michelin to determine the cause of the deadly crash.
After reviewing numerous security videos from cameras around the business park, investigators found no evidence that the pair was racing against any other vehicle, according to the report. The four-lane road is part of a business park loop in Rye Canyon near a car company that was owned by Rodas and Walker.
Skid marks and video revealed that the car spun out of control and hit the sidewalk, sending it smashing into a tree and a light post with tremendous force.
Rodas' and Walker's bodies were found braced for impact in a "pugilistic" stance, the report said.
Since the 2001 debut of “The Fast and the Furious,” Walker had become the face of the Southern California car culture. While the movie became a billion-dollar movie franchise, Walker kept his street credibility by driving a Nissan Skyline GT-R, appearing at real tuner events and investing in a super-car business.
The 2005 Porsche Carrera GT has a history of being difficult to control. The sports car is capable of reaching 100 mph in less than seven seconds. But it was built without the stability management system with which most Porsche models are equipped. The data the carmaker helped to retrieve allowed investigators to determine RPMs and throttle and airbag deployment at the time of the crash.

post #2445 of 5200 Old 03-25-2014, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Malaysia broadcast schedule.
Tack likes this.
post #2446 of 5200 Old 03-25-2014, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Unless I am mistaken, Toyos are/were being run in the TUDOR series and/or last year's ALMS (can't remember which team).
PM me if interested....I'll give ya a helluva deal.wink.gif
VERY true.
Thanx for info.

It sounds like you keep at least 2 sets of wheels?
One for street and one for track?

Yup. Actually 3 sets for the Carrera....road, track, plus winter. Not much snow here but I like being able to get around if need be when it does snow.

That said, I have some buds that do national level AX and they also have a set of rains. :-)
post #2447 of 5200 Old 03-25-2014, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Those are all great tires and I use to run the RS3's, how are the new Dunlops zII's?

I have never run the Dunlops, but they are highly regarded.

I run my Cayman in PCA Showroom Stock which mandates stock size tires. The Cayman 18 inchers are oddball sizes so I have limited options in the Extreme Performance category. Right now I can run RE11 (not the A), AD08 and AD08R, or the up coming RS3 version 2. None are slouches, but if I had my pick of the litter it would be BFG Rivals.
post #2448 of 5200 Old 03-26-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

post #2449 of 5200 Old 03-26-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Where are you getting this stuff? I thought we were talking about Formula One. Are you digging up stuff from the year 1900 on or what? I know Merecedes did well when Hitler was running things but in what 7 years did Mercedes win the drivers title 6 years? If youre going to give us a history lesson then make it a proper one. Should I start counting the stuff that Enzo did with Alfa Romeo or something?

I guess I look at Formula 1 history as the entirety of gran prix racing. I do consider the 30s part of F1 history, but if you don't that is fine. Just don't discriminate against it, because it was dominated by the Germans. The amount of money that Hitler gave AU and Merc probably wouldn't pay Kimi's salary. It is doubly funny considering how much Ferrari is subsidized by Italy, Fiat and the FIA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Championship_%28auto_racing%29

If you consider F1 history starting in 1950, then Merc won in 1954 and 1955. The only two years they competed.

Quote:
As planned, the World Championship races returned to Formula One regulations for the 1954 season, now based on 2.5-litre atmospheric engines. With them, Lancia and Mercedes-Benz came to the formula, hiring the best drivers of the era: Ascari for Lancia, Fangio for Mercedes. Featuring desmodromic valves, fuel injection, magnesium and exotic alloys parts, "streamlined" bodywork and other advanced features, the brand new Mercedes began the 1954 season with Fangio taking pole position at the "Grand Prix de l'ACF" at Reims-Gueux with the first lap over 200 km/h (124 mph) in Formula One before winning the race after a duel with other Mercedes driver Karl Kling, who finished second.

The Mercedes cars swept the next two seasons with Fangio winning all but three of the races. However, at the end of the 1955 season Mercedes vanished as swiftly as they had come. They had proven the superiority of their technology, but the crash of one of their sportscars that year at Le Mans, killing 83 people, was also a significant factor. The company would not return to Formula One for forty years.[3] After Le Mans, three of the year's remaining Grands Prix were cancelled.

The Monaco Grand Prix saw a spectacular incident when Ascari and his Lancia crashed into the harbour after missing a chicane. Ascari was pulled out of the water alive and apparently well. However, there was speculation over an undetected internal injury when four days later Ascari was killed at Monza while testing a sportscar. After Ascari's death, Lancia followed Mercedes out of the category, passing their engines, cars, information and technology to Ferrari.

The '55 Monaco race was where Fangio knew something was wrong when the crowd wasn't looking at him but towards the harbor. IIRC he slowed down and narrowly missed the accident. My memory is vague on this as I remember reading about it like 20 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Formula_One

My new favorite game is Save The Titanic

post #2450 of 5200 Old 03-26-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Also, is this just basically a motor racing thread? You guys seem to talk about F1 around 10 percent of the time.

My new favorite game is Save The Titanic

post #2451 of 5200 Old 03-26-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post

Also, is this just basically a motor racing thread? You guys seem to talk about F1 around 10 percent of the time.
Predominately F1, with some Sportscar Racing and Streetracing thrown in during the slow times.

RB has lawyered-up:

Red Bull’s appeal against the exclusion of Daniel Ricciardo from the Australian GP is based on the team believing that the rules do not specify that fuel flow has to be measured by the FIA-mandated sensor.

Team boss Christian Horner says that the team’s own readings proved that Ricciardo did not exceed the 100kg/h limit, which is why the team ignored instructions from the FIA to adjust the flow.

“We are appealing on the grounds that we do not believe, we are extremely confident, that we have not broken the rules,” Horner told Sky Sports News. “And that we haven’t exceeded the 100kg/h of fuel that is permitted to be utilized by the car and the engine.

“So that was the reason for our appeal, we feel we have a strong case and it will be down to the appeal court to ultimately decide.

“We have a sensor that is drifting and isn’t reading correctly versus a fuel rail that we know is calibrated and we know that hasn’t varied throughout the weekend and has subsequently been checked and found to be not faulty and hasn’t moved or varied at all since it was installed on the car prior to the weekend.

“Our argument is very simple, that we haven’t broken the Technical Regulations. That we haven’t exceeded the fuel flow limit and that the sensor, which hopefully we will be able to demonstrate in the appeal, is erroneous.”

Horner says simply that the rules don’t actually specify that the fuel measurement has to be made by the FIA sensor, despite the years of work that have gone into developing the device and teams being fully aware of its role.

“We are bound by the Technical and Sporting Regulations. 5.1.4 of the Technical Regulations says you must not exceed 100kg/h of fuel usage. We haven’t done that. Therefore our view is we haven’t broken the regulations and Technical Directives are of non-regulatory value.”

Michael's medical care:

Former F1 doc Gary Hartstein fears taking Michael Schumacher to a "non-neurosurgical center" immediately after his skiing accident may have actually "worsened" the German's condition.

Hartstein, who held various top-level medical positions in F1 between 2005 and 2012, claims that the longer the seven-time World Drivers' Champion stays in a coma the less his chances of making a recovery are and that fans should prepare for the worst.

Schumacher has been in a medically-induced ever since he sustained serious head injuries while skiing with his son in the French Alps at the end of last year.

Writing on his blog, Hartstein claims that the manner in which the 45-year-old Schumacher was treated shortly after his accident might actually have "worsened" his state.

"I think that serious lapses in judgment were evident during Michael's initial management - I have this from usually impeccable sources who have access to this information," Hartstein wrote on his blog, without divulging any further information relating to Schumacher's treatment.

He later clarified his comments, saying he is not criticising any one individual but rather the "system that allows head injured patients to be brought to non-neurosurgical centers, in the absence of other clear reasons to do so.

"The failure to adequately control an agitated patient prior to flight, as well as the delays in adequate control of the airway likely indicate insufficient training, insufficiently robust protocols, and perhaps insufficient experience under difficult circumstances (again, a mega-star patient with a difficult, demanding and perhaps even frankly hostile entourage).

"I am very clearly criticising a system that allows this to happen."

Meanwhile, Hartstein fears that Schumacher, who won seven World titles during his F1 career, may never recover from his injuries.

"As time goes on, it becomes less and less likely that Michael will emerge to any significant extent

post #2452 of 5200 Old 03-26-2014, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess I look at Formula 1 history as the entirety of gran prix racing. I do consider the 30s part of F1 history, but if you don't that is fine.

The F1 constructor world champion titles weren't given out until 1958 and of course, Mercedes has never won a title since then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Formula_One_World_Constructors%27_Champions

The driver world champion titles were started in 1950. Fangio won in 54 & 55 while driving for Mercedes, but unfortunately, the constructors were not given titles/awards back then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Formula_One_World_Drivers%27_Champions

It's your opinion and you are free to look at it however you like, but the record books say that Merc has never won a Formula 1 constructor world championship and they don't have any trophies to prove otherwise.

Fortunately for you, it appears as though that might change after this season!
post #2453 of 5200 Old 03-26-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Horner says simply that the rules don’t actually specify that the fuel measurement has to be made by the FIA sensor, despite the years of work that have gone into developing the device and teams being fully aware of its role.

I don't have a copy of the regs in front of me, but I find it strange that the FIA would be making such a big deal about this and DQing RB if it wasn't specifically stated in the rules. I guess we will find out soon enough.
post #2454 of 5200 Old 03-26-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:

I was thinking I should get a puppy but then I started thinking about pie. Now I think I should get some pie.

Just to keep it technical -

post #2455 of 5200 Old 03-26-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

I don't have a copy of the regs in front of me, but I find it strange that the FIA would be making such a big deal about this and DQing RB if it wasn't specifically stated in the rules. I guess we will find out soon enough.

Well there's technical regulations and then there's rules. Little grey area there. It's happened before.
post #2456 of 5200 Old 03-26-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

On point as always! biggrin.gif
post #2457 of 5200 Old 03-26-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well there's technical regulations and then there's rules. Little grey area there. It's happened before.

Ah...yes....the infamous grey area. That thing is always causing trouble!
post #2458 of 5200 Old 03-26-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

You guys can beat up the Ferrari Merc stuff all you want, but everybody knows that all the coolest drivers got their championships with Lotus.

• Jimmy Clark
  • Emo Fittipaldi
  • Mario Andretti
  • Graham Hill
  • Jackie Stewart

And now with the brain child that is Romain Grosjean, victory will once again fall to .... well, maybe next time.

BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #2459 of 5200 Old 03-26-2014, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:

I was thinking I should get a puppy but then I started thinking about pie. Now I think I should get some pie.

I'd like a pony,and some pie and a new pie chart.
post #2460 of 5200 Old 03-26-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Showdown! Z/28 vs. 911 Turbo S vs. GT-R Track Edition

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1403_chevrolet_camaro_z28_porsche_911_turbo_s_nissan_gt_r_comparison/
Very interesting read.
I just don't understand why mags track compare AWD cars with RWD.
It's pretty ridiculous IMO.

Quote:

On point as always! biggrin.gif
Yup.wink.gif

Quote:

And now with the brain child that is Romain Grosjean, victory will once again fall to .... well, maybe next time.
Quit it...you're killing me here.biggrin.gif

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page