post #2611 of 6674 Old 03-31-2014, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

Seriously. I can't say I've seen anyone handle crap like this better though.

+1. In his after race interview, he was very positive considering the barrage of bad luck that he has had. Hopefully that luck can move to the other side of the garage! biggrin.gif

DR impressed the heck out of me yesterday. He was giving Vettel a great run, until they switched him on to different tires. Unsurprisingly, I would love nothing more than him to beat Vettel. While that probably won't happen, even if he is able to be competitive with Vettel, it should shut up some of the fan boys that think Vettel is the second coming. Typical child.....bitching up a storm in the press conference after qualy about "being held up". That's odd, I didn't see any penalties given out for him being held up......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 6674 Old 03-31-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 809
Well it seems to me that HAM really smoked ROS. I wouldn't let all the smiles fool you. I guarantee that Rosberg is pretty butthurt about that. It's been known that when Hamilton is truly comfortable with his car is when he is really fast. Of course that's true about all drivers, but more so for Lewis.

Did Williams really have to use the words "faster than you" to Massa? Jesus.

Rosberg was pretty quiet on the podium when asked about Seb's pincer maneuver on the start. wink.gif
post #2613 of 6674 Old 03-31-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did Williams really have to use the words "faster than you" to Massa? Jesus.

Yeah, that was pretty cringe worthy. Talk about salt in the wound!
post #2614 of 6674 Old 03-31-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

+1. In his after race interview, he was very positive considering the barrage of bad luck that he has had. Hopefully that luck can move to the other side of the garage! biggrin.gif

DR impressed the heck out of me yesterday. He was giving Vettel a great run, until they switched him on to different tires. Unsurprisingly, I would love nothing more than him to beat Vettel. While that probably won't happen, even if he is able to be competitive with Vettel, it should shut up some of the fan boys that think Vettel is the second coming. Typical child.....bitching up a storm in the press conference after qualy about "being held up". That's odd, I didn't see any penalties given out for him being held up......

True. Conversely, some of the anti-fan boys who cry that Vettel can't do anything in a less than stellar car may have been silenced a little too. I'm no VET fan but he did pretty well.
post #2615 of 6674 Old 03-31-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post

C'mon man! Eddie is the best, you just have to decipher his...umm ...Irish. LOL

Eddie can communicate without words. For example, I know exactly what he's thinking and we were separated by an entire ocean. He's that good.

post #2616 of 6674 Old 03-31-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

True. Conversely, some of the anti-fan boys who cry that Vettel can't do anything in a less than stellar car may have been silenced a little too. I'm no VET fan but he did pretty well.

I'm not sure about that. I think RB has just made a MASSIVE step forward with their car practically overnight. While Merc still has the advantage, I think it's pretty clear that RB is the second quickest team now. I was really hoping I wouldn't be saying that this soon in the season, actually at all this season, but it seems to be true. I mean look at qualy. He was what 0.055 seconds behind Lewis. I know the rain is a variable, but still. Unfortunately, I think RB is back. PLEASE let Merc hold them off. It's blatantly clear that my boys have nothing for either team. mad.gif

Regardless, Vettel is a great driver. Anyone that thinks otherwise is pretty much blind. I just like to see credit given to appropriate deserver.

We'll see in the next few races what everyone's pace is.
post #2617 of 6674 Old 03-31-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Team orders or lack thereof are clearly the gift that keeps on giving.

When they were illegal, and it would appear that teams or drivers were doing things to manipulate the run order, the fans rose up to a state of high dungeon demanding that the offenders be punished for damaging the sacred integrity of their beloved sport (I am thinking Shumi and Barrichelo here).

Then, when a following driver ignores team orders and attacks and overtakes his leading teammate, we get the same cry for punishment. Vettel 2013.

Now, we have a lead driver who has taken it up the butt for his previous team probably more than once, essentially say F.U., I have had enough of this crap. Again, we get cries that he is not a team player.

Bull sh*t to all of it. Job #1 is supposed to be to beat your team mate. If that is so, why does Bottas need Massa to move out of the way to get by? Massa was blocking? Bull sh*t. He was defending. Doing what he was supposed to do.

Don't they teach passing in the junior formula? If you can't pass your team mate without him moving over, than you are not as fast as he is and you should STFU.

Now, the other side of the coin, my man Massa whining like a little girl when Bottas attacked early in the race? Bull sh*t to that too. Sounds like Button last year crying like a baby because Perez was smoking him. Both of those guys do nothing for themselves crying like babies over the radio. Grow a pair and race. The other guy in the car that looks like yours? He is NOT your team mate. His job is to beat you. Your job is to beat him. I am pretty sure Prost and Senna did not go out for beers after a race, and that is how it should be.

The notion of teams and team orders does nothing to enhance the sport. Shame that without teams, the F1 starting grid would have exactly 1/2 the car count.

There now…with a properly vented spleen, I feel so much better. :-)
Tack and slowbiscuit like this.
post #2618 of 6674 Old 03-31-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:

Seriously. I can't say I've seen anyone handle crap like this better though.
He is still driving for the 4 time defending Champion team....he should still be smiling.wink.gif

Quote:

Rosberg was pretty quiet on the podium when asked about Seb's pincer maneuver on the start. wink.gif
I hate it when guys do that; it's downright dangerous.
There should be a penalty for that kinda thing.

Quote:

It's blatantly clear that my boys have nothing for either team. mad.gif
They have 2 problems: no Newey and no MB powerunit.
Other than that, they're in good shape.wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post

Team orders or lack thereof are clearly the gift that keeps on giving.
There now…with a properly vented spleen, I feel so much better now. :-)
The problem is F1 is a business and the goal of a business is to make $$$.

From a pure $$$ POV, the team gains WAY more by winning the Team Championship than if one of their drivers win the DC.
IIRC, there is no pay-out to a team if a driver wins, only if the TC comes their way.
With each step up in the final standings, teams get an increasingly bigger slice of the pie from Bernie.
For example, Luca has said that as far as he is concerned, the TC is the only championship he cares about.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #2619 of 6674 Old 03-31-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

He is still driving for the 4 time defending Champion team....he should still be smiling.wink.gif

There's always the "I'm just happy to be here" effect, but I have a gut feeling there's more to the guy. We'll see.
post #2620 of 6674 Old 03-31-2014, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Anyone seen this comparison? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RuUp5MT3Uc

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
post #2621 of 6674 Old 03-31-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post

Anyone seen this comparison? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RuUp5MT3Uc
Very cool, thanx.

post #2622 of 6674 Old 03-31-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Makes short list as the next addition to my Virtual Garage:

post #2623 of 6674 Old 03-31-2014, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

From a pure $$$ POV, the team gains WAY more by winning the Team Championship than if one of their drivers win the DC.
IIRC, there is no pay-out to a team if a driver wins, only if the TC comes their way.
With each step up in the final standings, teams get an increasingly bigger slice of the pie from Bernie.
For example, Luca has said that as far as he is concerned, the TC is the only championship he cares about.

All good points and maybe that's part of the problem.

Without being personal friends with any current or former F1 drivers :-) I find it hard to believe that any F1 driver worth the name would give a toss about the constructors championship. The may say nice things to appease their bosses, but really, what driver went on to a bazillion dollar endorsement deal for being on a team that won the constructors, but their not being a WDC?

As for Luca, I am sure that for him the Constructors is the all that matters, so long as one of his drivers is also the WDC. I can't believe that any team would be truly satisfied with a constructors championship absent a corresponding drivers championship. I am sure that their fans would not consider it equivalent.

Maybe the distribution of funds as you describe is feeding the situation we have today? At the end of the day as a fan, I want to see drivers fighting each for position even if they ARE wearing the same color overalls, and without lame ass messages in their ear telling them to move over. Maybe at the end of the year, if one driver is in legitimate contention for the WDC, but the other is not, then that would be the time for some magnanimous guestures of sportsmanship, but not after two races when one of the drivers in question scored ZERO points at the 1st race, through no fault of his own.
slowbiscuit likes this.
post #2624 of 6674 Old 03-31-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure if this has been posted here or not. It was on during the rain delay on TV. Very cool vid.....even though it is RB. tongue.gif

TeflonSoul likes this.
post #2625 of 6674 Old 03-31-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I find it hard to believe that any F1 driver worth the name would give a toss about the constructors championship. The may say nice things to appease their bosses, but really, what driver went on to a bazillion dollar endorsement deal for being on a team that won the constructors, but their not being a WDC?
Good point.

Quote:
As for Luca, I am sure that for him the Constructors is the all that matters, so long as one of his drivers is also the WDC. I can't believe that any team would be truly satisfied with a constructors championship absent a corresponding drivers championship.
1994 Williams won, but didn't win a WDC
1999 & 2008 Ferrari won without a WDC.

Quote:
I am sure that their fans would not consider it equivalent.
Prolly not.wink.gif

Quote:
At the end of the day as a fan, I want to see drivers fighting each for position even if they ARE wearing the same color overalls
I hear ya.

Quote:
not after two races when one of the drivers in question scored ZERO points at the 1st race, through no fault of his own.
The problem was the Williams brain trust, at that point in the race, thought they had a legitimate shot at scoring 12 pts. instead of 10 for the GP.
Massa admitted to not being able to overtake Button and Bottas has been showing higher skills this year.

post #2626 of 6674 Old 03-31-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm not sure if this has been posted here or not. It was on during the rain delay on TV. Very cool vid.....even though it is RB. tongue.gif

A great video, zeus....thanx.

The claim the new cars have the tech for more passing I am not sure I buy.
IIRC, most of the passing was based on tire compounds and wear.
In fact, like Australia, Malaysia didn't seem to have a ton of passing going on either.

post #2627 of 6674 Old 03-31-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 334
That was a cool video zeus!

October HorrorFest Participant
post #2628 of 6674 Old 03-31-2014, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All good points and maybe that's part of the problem.

Without being personal friends with any current or former F1 drivers :-) I find it hard to believe that any F1 driver worth the name would give a toss about the constructors championship. The may say nice things to appease their bosses, but really, what driver went on to a bazillion dollar endorsement deal for being on a team that won the constructors, but their not being a WDC?

As for Luca, I am sure that for him the Constructors is the all that matters, so long as one of his drivers is also the WDC. I can't believe that any team would be truly satisfied with a constructors championship absent a corresponding drivers championship. I am sure that their fans would not consider it equivalent.

Maybe the distribution of funds as you describe is feeding the situation we have today? At the end of the day as a fan, I want to see drivers fighting each for position even if they ARE wearing the same color overalls, and without lame ass messages in their ear telling them to move over. Maybe at the end of the year, if one driver is in legitimate contention for the WDC, but the other is not, then that would be the time for some magnanimous guestures of sportsmanship, but not after two races when one of the drivers in question scored ZERO points at the 1st race, through no fault of his own.

Well said. Totally agree about the end of the year too. It's way too early for that garbage now.

The fans have spoken on this subject for years. They don't like team orders. Without the fans there wouldn't even be a giant pot of gold at the end of the year for the constructors to divvy up. I realize they can't bend to every whim of the fans, but this has been a problem for a while and they can show a little respect.

BGLeduc likes this.
post #2629 of 6674 Old 03-31-2014, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

There has always been team orders in racing.
In the past, there was secret coded words and signals.
Today, in F1 at least, it can be done in the open without risk of penalty.

post #2630 of 6674 Old 03-31-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I hope to hell this isn't true:

Corinna Schumacher, the wife of seven-time Formula 1 World Champion Michael Schumacher, is reportedly building a £10 million ($16.6 million) medical suite at the couple’s home.

Schumacher has been in an artificially induced coma since his skiing accident three months ago. With experts saying it is unlikely he will ever wake up, an Intensive Care Unit is now being built at the couples’ home by Lake Geneva, Switzerland.

Every day since his accident, Schumacher’s family has performed a 150 mile round-trip to be by his side. The Daily Mail reports that pressure for bed space may soon build at the Grenble University Hospital in France, leading Schumacher’s family to make preparations to bring him home.

“Miracles happen, of course,” says a 25-year friend of the family, “and as a wealthy man he has the best care money can buy.

“But all the money in the world cannot fix what has happened to him. The family are making arrangements for a future of permanent immobility.”

post #2631 of 6674 Old 03-31-2014, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There has always been team orders in racing.

Really? wink.gif

Look at the most successful sports organization on the planet, the NFL. They are constantly evaluating, reevaluating, modifying, and changing to keep up with their fan base. Their value goes up by billions each year. Compare that with "it's always been like that" Baseball, who's market shrinks every year.

IMO every time those "team orders" are broadcast it takes some of the verve out of the sport. The average fan could care less about the Constructors Championship, they want to see the driver, the man, "il guerriero" earn the glory.
slowbiscuit likes this.
post #2632 of 6674 Old 03-31-2014, 11:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Compare that with "it's always been like that" Baseball, who's market shrinks every year.
Performance enhancing drugs and the fact if something doesn't happen every 4 seconds modern Americans get bored has pretty much doomed baseball to be a minor sport.

Quote:
IMO every time those "team orders" are broadcast it takes some of the verve out of the sport.
No argument here.

Quote:
The average fan could care less about the Constructors Championship, they want to see the driver, the man, "il guerriero" earn the glory.
Excepting the Tifosi, I would have to say that's true.wink.gif

post #2633 of 6674 Old 04-01-2014, 12:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I think it only fair to announce to everyone here I have won 17 quadjillion in the lottery, but am undecided which of these 2 cars I need to order:

http://www.drivesrt.com/2014/srt-viper/time-attack/

http://www.chevrolet.com/2015-corvette-stingray-z06-supercar.html

post #2634 of 6674 Old 04-01-2014, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:

I think it only fair to announce to everyone here I have won 17 quadjillion in the lottery, but am undecided which of these 2 cars I need to order:

http://www.drivesrt.com/2014/srt-viper/time-attack/

http://www.chevrolet.com/2015-corvette-stingray-z06-supercar.html
With that much cash,buy both and while your at it bail out Dodge and save the Viper. :-)
post #2635 of 6674 Old 04-01-2014, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

New prototype F1 steering wheel. Williams is looking at this so they will no longer have to use the radio to tell Massa to move over.

stevew24963 likes this.
post #2636 of 6674 Old 04-01-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post

With that much cash,buy both and while your at it bail out Dodge and save the Viper. :-)
Doh!
I should have thought of that.tongue.gif

Quote:

New prototype F1 steering wheel. Williams is looking at this so they will no longer have to use the radio to tell Massa to move over.
They should.biggrin.gif

post #2637 of 6674 Old 04-01-2014, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They should.biggrin.gif

Speaking of which, I wonder why they didn't just cut his power?

BTW the rearward shots from Massa's car with Bottas behind him were really great.
post #2638 of 6674 Old 04-01-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Speaking of which, I wonder why they didn't just cut his power?
If they could, they probably would have.biggrin.gif

Quote:
BTW the rearward shots from Massa's car with Bottas behind him were really great.
You're right, those were cool.

BTW, here is James Allen's breakdown of the strategy employed during the race:

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/04/alonso-versus-hulkenberg-and-other-tales-from-malaysian-gp/

post #2639 of 6674 Old 04-01-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

ALONSO DEMOTED TO GAS STATION ATTENDANT AFTER RIFT AT MARANELLO

Due to unforeseen circumstances, two-time Formula 1 champion Fernando Alonso will be pumping gas at Maranello rather than racing at Bahrain this weekend.
Many of the drivers have expressed their displeasure with the new turbo-era of Formula 1. However, instead of talking about it, Fernando Alonso has taken action about it, and says he refuses to step into the F1 paddock again “until the sound problem is fixed”

Alonso planned on competing in the 2014 Ferrari Challenge for the rest of the season, but unfortunately finds himself out of a ride after Giancarlo Fissichella signed a contract securing the final spot in the field yesterday. The only job left at Maranello was gas station attendant.

“It’s not too bad, actually,” confesses the Spaniard. “It’s nice to still be doing an outdoors job … especially at this time of year.

“Hopefully I will have secured a ride with another team before the weather turns cold again.”

When asked if he knew that Alain Prost had started off as a gas station attendant at April Fuels, Alonso admitted that he was unaware of the fact.

“I did know that Nigel Mansell used to pump gas,” added Alonso. “And Nelson Piquet and Jim Clark. Perhaps this will make me a more successful driver.

“It is nice to get to see so many different sports cars during a day. We get a few Lambos and Maseratis come our way too … we have a special pump for them that hasn’t been cleaned out in a few years so it’s nice to know that I’m still doing Ferrari a service.”

Ferrari have yet to confirm a second driver for the team at next weekend’s Bahrain GP, but Alonso says that the team do not seem too unfazed by his departure.

“There are so many great race car drivers out there now that they shouldn’t have much trouble. Although [Stefano] Domenicali said that if we can’t find someone by Thursday, he might step in the seat.

“I don’t plan on getting back in an F1 car until the sound problem is fixed. Whether that be one week, two, or never, I don’t care. The good news is we’ve got Bernie [Ecclestone] on our side … so hopefully it will be sooner, rather than later. This job doesn’t pay as well.”

post #2640 of 6674 Old 04-01-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:

ALONSO DEMOTED TO GAS STATION ATTENDANT AFTER RIFT AT MARANELLO

Due to unforeseen circumstances, two-time Formula 1 champion Fernando Alonso will be pumping gas at Maranello rather than racing at Bahrain this weekend.
Many of the drivers have expressed their displeasure with the new turbo-era of Formula 1. However, instead of talking about it, Fernando Alonso has taken action about it, and says he refuses to step into the F1 paddock again “until the sound problem is fixed”

Alonso planned on competing in the 2014 Ferrari Challenge for the rest of the season, but unfortunately finds himself out of a ride after Giancarlo Fissichella signed a contract securing the final spot in the field yesterday. The only job left at Maranello was gas station attendant.

“It’s not too bad, actually,” confesses the Spaniard. “It’s nice to still be doing an outdoors job … especially at this time of year.

“Hopefully I will have secured a ride with another team before the weather turns cold again.”

When asked if he knew that Alain Prost had started off as a gas station attendant at April Fuels, Alonso admitted that he was unaware of the fact.

“I did know that Nigel Mansell used to pump gas,” added Alonso. “And Nelson Piquet and Jim Clark. Perhaps this will make me a more successful driver.

“It is nice to get to see so many different sports cars during a day. We get a few Lambos and Maseratis come our way too … we have a special pump for them that hasn’t been cleaned out in a few years so it’s nice to know that I’m still doing Ferrari a service.”

Ferrari have yet to confirm a second driver for the team at next weekend’s Bahrain GP, but Alonso says that the team do not seem too unfazed by his departure.

“There are so many great race car drivers out there now that they shouldn’t have much trouble. Although [Stefano] Domenicali said that if we can’t find someone by Thursday, he might step in the seat.

“I don’t plan on getting back in an F1 car until the sound problem is fixed. Whether that be one week, two, or never, I don’t care. The good news is we’ve got Bernie [Ecclestone] on our side … so hopefully it will be sooner, rather than later. This job doesn’t pay as well.”

Confirmed. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
April Fools eek.gif
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page