post #271 of 301 Old 01-06-2014, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Although the claim made by some posters (well, maybe only one, not you) that Carrie Underwood not only can't act but can't sing either

Sorry, I must have missed that claim. But some people – those whose eyes have not overpowered their ears wink.gif – recognize that Underwood wasn’t born with “great pipes”.

Underwood certainly gets the most out of the instrument she has, however, and that is arguably more of an accomplishment than simply opening one’s mouth and letting the music flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Listen to her These are a Few of my Favorite Things duet with Audra McDonald and I think you will see what I mean. McDonald is one of the all time great Broadway musical theater performers and Underwood matched her note for note, phrase for phrase.

I did listen to it. And I watched it. But while Underwood looked and sounded like she was singing “at the top of her voice”, to borrow Maria’s phrase, McDonald seemed to be on cruise, notwithstanding Maria’s statement to the contrary.

McDonald didn’t really crank it up until Climb Every Mountain, and I have serious doubts that Underwood could match her note for note on that performance.

While Underwood’s voice is clearly above average for the general population, I think it's about average for a professional singer, and clearly below average for opera.

But The Sound of Music is not opera, and Underwood would have done fine if her acting had matched her singing. I give her singing in SOML an A+ for effort and an A for execution.

Quote:
We agree, though, that Underwood is a beautiful girl. smile.gif

See above, re eyes and ears. (Would you post howls of indignation if I said there are better looking women in the world? wink.gif)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 301 Old 01-06-2014, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Moving on to the acting…

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Dude, she didn't act well enough for a good community theater production

Dude, if my daughter gave a performance like Underwood’s on a high school stage, I would be calling the principal the next day, demanding to know why my tax dollars were not going for better drama teachers. wink.gif

So that’s point one. This is not about Broadway vs. off-Broadway vs. off-off-off-off-Broadway. You can’t get far enough from Broadway to make Underwood’s acting in SOML acceptable, and still be on planet Earth. rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

The problem I have is with people saying that Carrie definitively cannot act or sing good enough for what it was (a live TV show),

But that’s the whole point. It wasn’t a TV show, live or otherwise, in the conventional sense.

What it was was televised theatre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

Playing to a seated audience at some distance in a large theater and playing to cameras that are much closer to you might require very similar talents but differing honed skills.

Theatrical acting requires exaggerated gestures and facial expressions so that people in the back row can catch them without the aid of a camera close-up. Stage actors need to PROJECT when they speak; they have to be LOUD, even when they portray a whisper.

But theatrical acting looks hammy on screen, where good camera work allows much more information to be communicated in a much subtler way, which is why that style of acting hasn’t been done in movies since the silent era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post

To be fair, I think all the performers were all wooden or too flamboyant. Steven Moyer looked like he didn't want to be there and mumbled all his lines. The "Broadway" pros over exaggerated their delivery as if they were on the live stage projecting to the last row of the theatre. The younger kids get a pass just because they're kids.

Exactly! Because it was televised theatre.

SNL is live TV. The Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode Once More, with Feeling is a TV musical. Both feature screen style acting, appropriate for TV.

There’s just no reason to do theatrical style acting on TV, unless your purpose is to convey the look, tone, feel, and overall experience of live theatre into the TV viewing room. Which is why NBC built the large theatrical sets and the stage vets did theatrical acting.

And then Underwood came in like a wrecking ball and thoroughly destroyed the theatrical experience thus created.

(Moyer’s acting didn’t bother me nearly as much as Underwood’s; I cringed more when he sang. And I thought the kids did fine, again judged by theatrical standards, not screen standards.)

I do understand, though, why people who want to see this as just TV might scratch their heads that Underwood is being singled out for such hate. Because by screen standards, none of the acting was good, and Underwood’s performance doesn’t stand out nearly as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

It was, after all, just television.

Trouble is, only Underwood benefits by this reduction; the show as a whole does not.

Judged as TV, only the singing is good. But if that’s all people want, why not just give Underwood a Christmas special like Michael Bublé? Presumably the Underwood fans would tune in, so NBC could get great ratings without nearly the production costs of a theatrical production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

I don't think most people disagree that Underwood's performance as an actress was sub-par. I'm just not ready to condemn her to eternal perdition solely on the basis of this one show.

Agreed. When the performance is this bad, some of the onus has to go on the directors and producers. Surely they could see in rehearsals that Underwood’s performance would be embarrassing, but they obviously didn’t care.

I wish I could say that surprised me, but if there’s once thing today’s “reality”-strewn TV landscape proves, it’s that stopping people from being embarrassed on TV is not in any TV executive’s job description. rolleyes.gif
lonwolf615 likes this.
post #273 of 301 Old 01-06-2014, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

And a final word about the show as a whole…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

I do not understand why people keep comparing this to a Broadway show. It was not a Broadway show, and it was not trying to be a Broadway show.

It was trying to be musical theatre. And it was based on the Broadway play, not the movie of the same name. So I think that explains the comparisons.

And probably the best evidence of what an epic fail this was, as far as bringing musical theatre to the mass audience of TV, is that so many people seem not even to have recognized it for what it was.

(Or at least pretend they didn’t, in defense of an otherwise indefensible casting decision.)

smile.gif
post #274 of 301 Old 01-07-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Good lord, it was NOT an epic fail. What a tremendous overreach that statement is.

I think I'm done with this thread, opinions have been posted on both sides and that's all they are - opinions. Nothing new is being added here now.
post #275 of 301 Old 01-07-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblo View Post

And a final word about the show as a whole…

Do you promise? smile.gif
BoilerJim likes this.
post #276 of 301 Old 01-07-2014, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow biscuit View Post

Good lord, it was NOT an epic fail.
No, it was a raging success for those with very low expectations. More crap thrown at the wall for the average viewing public. Big Brother has been pretty successful too.
post #277 of 301 Old 01-07-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 220
rolleyes.gif
post #278 of 301 Old 01-07-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post

No, it was a raging success for those with very low expectations. More crap thrown at the wall for the average viewing public. Big Brother has been pretty successful too.

To that, I suspect NBC would remind you that losers always whine and make excuses but winners just say "Shut up and deal!" smile.gif
John dhein and BoilerJim like this.
post #279 of 301 Old 01-07-2014, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Good lord, it was NOT an epic fail. What a tremendous overreach that statement is.

Ok, fine; have it your way: it was a very ordinary fail. wink.gif

Quote:
I think I'm done with this thread, opinions have been posted on both sides

Wait… there are sides?!? What are the team names and where can we get the T-shirts?? smile.gif
post #280 of 301 Old 01-08-2014, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Our morning newspaper used to have a column called "Today's Chuckle." It disappeared a while back but has resurfaced in this thread. wink.gif
post #281 of 301 Old 01-08-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^^ yep. It's funny when people get their undies in a bundle over television.
BoilerJim likes this.
post #282 of 301 Old 01-11-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Comcast On Demand's Purchases function is carrying both HD and SD editions of "The Sound of Music Live" for $10.99.  Maybe that's a clue to the list price if it's sold on DVD or Blu-ray?
post #283 of 301 Old 01-11-2014, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 247
The list price of the DVD is $23, and it is currently available on Amazon for $15.
post #284 of 301 Old 01-11-2014, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you, Aleron Ives. Didn't know it was already out there, or if the DVD issue has been mentioned earlier in this thread, I've forgotten.  Any known price for Blu-ray?
post #285 of 301 Old 01-11-2014, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 247
There is no Blu-ray. It was never announced, so it has no MSRP.
post #286 of 301 Old 01-12-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

OK, thank you.
post #287 of 301 Old 01-19-2014, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
http://tv.yahoo.com/news/peter-pan-set-nbcs-live-sound-music-050000074.html

From "The Hollywood Reporter":
'Peter Pan' Set as NBC's Live 'Sound of Music' Follow-Up

After drawing an impressive 18.6 million to its live production of The Sound of Music, NBC has announced its follow-up: Peter Pan.

Using his platform Sunday at the Television Critics Association's winter press tour, NBC entertainment chairman Bob Greenblatt said NBC would broadcast a live performance of Peter Pan set for Dec. 4.

The news comes after Greenblatt, also a Broadway producer, announced in December that he was looking for another "well-known" title that could draw both kids and adults and could be produced live. The network will reteam with Sound of Music producers and Broadway veterans Craig Zadan and Neil Meron (who also exec produced NBC's Broadway drama Smash.)

"We've narrowed it down to about three titles," the executive told The Hollywood Reporter in December, declining to provide further details at the time. "They all have complicated rights issues and I don't know if we're going to be able to get them. In the next couple of weeks -- we want to do this quickly -- we'll zero in on something because we have to produce it. We now have less than a year. When we did Sound of Music, we literally spent 18 months on it and had a lot to learn. We also learned a lot and I think we don't have as big of a learning curve for next time."

Following repeat broadcasts of the Carrie Underwood-fronted Sound of Music, Greenblatt said in addition to advertising revenue, NBC teamed with Walmart and had other ancillary revenue streams including CDs, a DVD that the company owns and international rights to the film -- which cost an estimated $9 million to produce.

"We own it so we can repeat it every year for the next 10 years," Greenblatt said in December. "Even if it does just a small fraction of what it did, it's free to repeat it. That's all upside and if you chart it all out, in 10 years, there's millions of dollars there."

Greenblatt was optimistic that the network could produce a second live production "more efficiently" than Sound of Music, which took 18 months to get on the air.

The decision to repeat the live musical performance comes as broadcast networks are looking to draw eyeballs (and awards-season cache) in an increasingly competitive landscape and DVR era.
post #288 of 301 Old 01-19-2014, 01:22 PM
Kib
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriscoCountyJr View Post

After drawing an impressive 18.6 million to its live production of The Sound of Music, NBC has announced its follow-up: Peter Pan.
Starring Rebel Wilson.

I'm flying...
post #289 of 301 Old 01-19-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 177
It will be interesting to observe the conversation about the gender of the person they choose to play Peter, whatever it turns out to be.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #290 of 301 Old 01-20-2014, 07:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It will be interesting to observe the conversation about the gender of the person they choose to play Peter, whatever it turns out to be.

I am looking forward to seeing who NBC casts in Peter Pan. I Hope they include a number of solid Broadway performers, as they did for The Sound of Music.
post #291 of 301 Old 01-20-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I know the part of Peter was written for, and has always been played by, a woman. But these are interesting times when it comes to the portrayal of gender in the media.

I would fully expect another young pop star in the Peter role, supported by someone with more Broadway cred and experience than Moyer had, as Hook. But Peter is a huge role, center-stage for much of the show (more than half of the songs are Peter-centric). The show is also, I think, somewhat less familiar song-by-song to mass audiences than SoM. So this production will truly stand or fall based on the performance of the actress cast in the lead role.

It will also be interesting to see if they modernize the staging. What was wondrous in the Fifties is pedestrian now.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #292 of 301 Old 01-20-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^^ I agree. Unfortunately, when I read about NBC doing Peter Pan in December, and that they are looking to cast it, the first person who popped into my head as Peter Pan was Justin Bieber! eek.gif Don't know why, but I'm still very disturbed at the thought frown.gif
post #293 of 301 Old 01-20-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Unfortunately, ... the first person who popped into my head as Peter Pan was Justin Bieber!
Because with his countertenor voice he could sing the part of a child?  Chris Colfer's voice is even higher, but his height would be a bigger problem than Bieber's.
post #294 of 301 Old 01-20-2014, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 39
I think they should keep their 'tradition' of choosing country music singers who are completely wrong for the part and cast Kellie Pickler as Peter Pan.rolleyes.gif
post #295 of 301 Old 01-20-2014, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Oh, come on. You know it will be Miley Cyrus....
post #296 of 301 Old 01-23-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kib 
Starring Rebel Wilson.

♪ I'm flying... ♫
Haha, good one!

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #297 of 301 Old 01-23-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Can Miley Cyrus or Kellie Pickler honestly sing "I will never grow a mustache" (a line from "I Won't Grow Up")?
post #298 of 301 Old 01-24-2014, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:

I know the part of Peter was written for, and has always been played by, a woman. But these are interesting times when it comes to the portrayal of gender in the media.

It should be pointed out, that for the purposes of plays and musicals, Peter Pan has been cast as a female for one reason and one reason only: a boy old enough to play the part professionally wouldn't last long as an boy who never grows up and need to be replaced if the show had an extended run. Using a girl solves that issue since a slightly older actor can be used, and girls tend to be smaller overall the boys, even after a growth spurt. At the distance people view a theatrical production, it's not nearly as obvious. With the closeups used in movies or TV, it becomes obvious.

Plus, being strapped into a flying rig multiple times a day tends to be more....uncomfortable for the male side of the gender pool. With movies and TV, other methods, including camera tricks and rigs that can be removed in post can be used to minimize it.

That's why, for single performances like a movie, a boy is cast. It's one and done and puberty doesn't become an issue.

As a result, there is no compelling reason for NBC not to use a boy in the role.

I realize that people are hung up on the notable and excellent performance Mary Martin gave with the character, but we need to remember one thing: The name of the character is Peter, not Patricia. He's a boy and should be played by a boy when it's practical, unless you're deliberately doing a gender change and specifically want a female, as in the case with "Elementary" on CBS where they made Watson a woman, played wonderfully by Lucy Liu.
rdclark likes this.
post #299 of 301 Old 01-24-2014, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

NetworkTV, I think your post is right on, except for one detail. Where you wrote "cast as" in the first sentence, i think it's more correct to say "written for." These are all the reasons the part was written for a woman, but now a casting director is faced with the fact that it was. The music can't simply be transposed; an actor that has the singing range the part calls for must be found. Certainly not impossible, but it complicates things. In interesting ways.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #300 of 301 Old 01-24-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The music can't simply be transposed; an actor that has the singing range the part calls for must be found.
Only because the character is a prepubescent boy; transposing itself is no big deal, just as operatic parts written for castrati are now performed by intact adult men, often exactly one octave lower with no transposition needed.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page