'The Sound of Music' live on NBC - Page 11 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 9  10  11
HDTV Programming > 'The Sound of Music' live on NBC
rdclark's Avatar rdclark 03:44 PM 01-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

Only because the character is a prepubescent boy; transposing itself is no big deal, just as operatic parts written for castrati are now performed by intact adult men, often exactly one octave lower with no transposition needed.

So many of Peter's songs are ensemble pieces, they'd end up transposing the whole show and having to rethink the ranges for every character in it. Again, not impossible -- but it would have a profound impact on how the show sounds.

I'm not saying it should be one or the other; it will be interesting either way, and for a variety of reasons.

joblo's Avatar joblo 09:39 PM Yesterday
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I too am eagerly awaiting the next NBC musical. Maybe the star of that one will be Lady Gaga. Now that would generate real controversy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I saw Gaga host SNL a few weeks back. She was very good in a variety of live sketches, seemed to really enjoy herself, and could likely act rings around the wooden Ms. Underwood.

Judging from Gaga’s Sound of Music medley at tonight’s Oscars, she might have sung rings around Underwood, too.
rezzy's Avatar rezzy 10:48 PM Yesterday
Saw Gaga on the Oscars. Didn't know she was that good. If not for the trampy-tats, she might could've pulled this off!
MSmith83's Avatar MSmith83 06:01 AM Today
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post
Saw Gaga on the Oscars. Didn't know she was that good. If not for the trampy-tats, she might could've pulled this off!
She's extremely talented. Unfortunately, her talents have largely gone unnoticed over the years as her route to popularity has focused on zaniness.
hooked01's Avatar hooked01 08:59 AM Today
Gaga sounded great and she's a more talented singer than Carrie Underwood, but I wonder how she would have fared doing the whole play with choreography and dialog instead of just seven minutes.
gwsat's Avatar gwsat 11:42 AM Today
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post
Yeah, despite her fine voice an solid musicianship, Lady Gaga's nasty tats took me out of her performance too. I was also turned off at the very end of her performance by her failure to sing the music as it was written in order to work in a high note. Low rent!
rezzy's Avatar rezzy 12:17 PM Today
Wow, LOL!
CruelInventions's Avatar CruelInventions 01:12 PM Today
Caught an Oscars discussion on the radio last night where a voice coach and former professional male singer called in (I forgot where or with whom he said he had performed before but it seemed like it was pretty prestigious), talking about how by his count, Gaga ran out of breath 4-5 times due to improper diaphragm singing and how her timing was off near the end where she was supposed to be syncing with the background singers. Or some such. Don't remember the exact words. He said it was just what he had observed, where she could have been better, etc., whether it was due to nerves or insufficient vocal training.
rezzy's Avatar rezzy 02:45 PM Today
She definitely wasn't perfect but came closer to nailing Andrew's rendition than Underwood, IMO.
First ... 9  10  11

Up
Mobile  Desktop