post #241 of 301 Old 01-02-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

That was my one and only point - live TV is not Broadway, and neither is the audience or its expectations. Can we all at least agree on that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Don't know about all of us, but I agree.

Can't imagine why everybody here shouldn't agree about this, Come to think about it though, I've been surprised before. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 301 Old 01-02-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

That was my one and only point - live TV is not Broadway, and neither is the audience or its expectations. Can we all at least agree on that?

It took us 75 posts to get to the point you just stated in one sentence?

wink.gif
post #243 of 301 Old 01-02-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Can't imagine why everybody here shouldn't agree about this, Come to think about it though, I've been surprised before. smile.gif

Count me in as one who agrees with that.
post #244 of 301 Old 01-03-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Can we all agree that a piece of wood, say a 2 by 4, would have the same acting ability whether on live tv, the Broadway stage or a recorded program? Typically the difference in live and recorded performances is the number of mistakes, not a fundamental shift in acting ability. That remains fairly constant.
post #245 of 301 Old 01-03-2014, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Can we all agree that a piece of wood, say a 2 by 4, would have the same acting ability whether on live tv, the Broadway stage or a recorded program?
Yes for a 2x4, but maybe not for a human thespian.  Playing to a seated audience at some distance in a large theater and playing to cameras that are much closer to you might require very similar talents but differing honed skills.

Add the consideration that recorded material can have multiple takes to get something as desired by the director, and that it can have breaks between scenes and can be shot out of sequence.
post #246 of 301 Old 01-04-2014, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

Yes for a 2x4, but maybe not for a human thespian.  Playing to a seated audience at some distance in a large theater and playing to cameras that are much closer to you might require very similar talents but differing honed skills.

Add the consideration that recorded material can have multiple takes to get something as desired by the director, and that it can have breaks between scenes and can be shot out of sequence.

Anyone here remember this classic scene from the film "My Favorite Year"?

(Setup: Peter O'Toole, as washed up matinee idol (and alcoholic) Alan Swann, agrees to do a TV program. In this scene, however, he is just finding out that he is to perform for a live broadcast in front of a studio audience.)

post #247 of 301 Old 01-04-2014, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 377
You guys are still missing my point. The girl can't act. She is the 2x4. Recording, rehearsing, editing isn't going to make any difference. It nice that you are compelled to make all these excuses for her, but she needs to stick to what she knows.
post #248 of 301 Old 01-04-2014, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Has anyone been brave enough to buy the DVD version to see if the audio is any different? I wonder if it's the same 384 kbps DD 5.1 from the broadcast. biggrin.gif In theory, someone could have manipulated the audio to improve the portions where the actors' voices were muffled, but I doubt NBC went to that much trouble, since they didn't even bother to release a Blu-ray version.
post #249 of 301 Old 01-05-2014, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:

You guys are still missing my point. The girl can't act. She is the 2x4. Recording, rehearsing, editing isn't going to make any difference. It nice that you are compelled to make all these excuses for her, but she needs to stick to what she knows.

Nobody's missing your point. We just don't share your apparently extreme feelings. Some of us are also not willing to ban Underwood from musical theater forever only on the basis of her first public performance, particularly one given under extreme circumstances.
gwsat, slowbiscuit and BoilerJim like this.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #250 of 301 Old 01-05-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:

I think we all agree that CU did not do a Tony Award level performance, but what others are trying to point out is this was a live television performance where there were no do overs and kind edits or the luxury of several performances to grow comfortable with the role or adjust based on feedback. To be fair, I think all the performers were all wooden or too flamboyant. Steven Moyer looked like he didn't want to be there and mumbled all his lines. The "Broadway" pros over exaggerated their delivery as if they were on the live stage projecting to the last row of the theatre. The younger kids get a pass just because they're kids.

But, overall, the show was enjoyable and hopefully the ratings performance convinced NBC to try it again in the future.
post #251 of 301 Old 01-05-2014, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

I agree. Her vocal skills were lacking as well. Sure, she can belt out a country or pop tune. A musical theater performer uses song as an extension of the spoken dialog however. There is a flow and natural feeling to it all. She lacks that and probably always will. Of course this all changes if we substanially lower our expectations...as many seem to have done.
post #252 of 301 Old 01-05-2014, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post

Quote:

I think we all agree that CU did not do a Tony Award level performance, but what others are trying to point out is this was a live television performance where there were no do overs and kind edits or the luxury of several performances to grow comfortable with the role or adjust based on feedback. To be fair, I think all the performers were all wooden or too flamboyant. Steven Moyer looked like he didn't want to be there and mumbled all his lines. The "Broadway" pros over exaggerated their delivery as if they were on the live stage projecting to the last row of the theatre. The younger kids get a pass just because they're kids.

But, overall, the show was enjoyable and hopefully the ratings performance convinced NBC to try it again in the future.
Right...it was live...it's not like those inferior Broadway performers have to do every single performance live or anything.
post #253 of 301 Old 01-05-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

Nobody's missing your point. We just don't share your apparently extreme feelings. Some of us are also not willing to ban Underwood from musical theater forever only on the basis of her first public performance, particularly one given under extreme circumstances.

You beat me to it. I think few if any observers would disagree with the notion that Carrie Underwood's acting skills are weak at best. In fact, based on her performance under discussion here, she can't act a lick. But no observer with an ounce of objectivity would have the temerity to claim that she can't sing a lick either. Say what? smile.gif Come to think of it, Underwood's beauty and musical skills, and her resulting fame, were why she was given her starring role in The Sound of Music Live, her shaky acting skills notwithstanding.
post #254 of 301 Old 01-05-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 254
I think it's time for this discussion to die a peaceful death. Some apparently are more passionate about this performance that I would have ever thought possible. It was, after all, just television. Nobody is going to change anyone's mind and before it gets ugly, we should all just agree to disagree and move on, till next time.
post #255 of 301 Old 01-05-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

I think it's time for this discussion to die a peaceful death. Some apparently are more passionate about this performance that I would have ever thought possible. It was, after all, just television. Nobody is going to change anyone's mind and before it gets ugly, we should all just agree to disagree and move on, till next time.

+1

the way this thread is going I didn't think it was going to end until the next NBC musical :D quite an achievement that a single one nites event(well I guess unless you count the one repeat) generated 9 pages of comments, good or bad. Can't wait for the next NBC musical :)

post #256 of 301 Old 01-05-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

+1
the way this thread is going I didn't think it was going to end until the next NBC musical biggrin.gif quite an achievement that a single one nites event(well I guess unless you count the one repeat) generated 9 pages of comments, good or bad. Can't wait for the next NBC musical smile.gif

I was glad to see a musical theater thread that generated so much interest. I think you will agree that the subject usually generates yawns, not the spirited exchanges we have seen here. I've been enjoying it. That said,I too am eagerly awaiting the next NBC musical. Maybe the star of that one will be Lady Gaga. Now that would generate real controversy. smile.gif
post #257 of 301 Old 01-05-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Quote:

I was glad to see a musical theater thread that generated so much interest. I think you will agree that the subject usually generates yawns, not the spirited exchanges we have seen here. I've been enjoying it. That said,I too am eagerly awaiting the next NBC musical. Maybe the star of that one will be Lady Gaga. Now that would generate real controversy. smile.gif

I saw Gaga host SNL a few weeks back. She was very good in a variety of live sketches, seemed to really enjoy herself, and could likely act rings around the wooden Ms. Underwood.
post #258 of 301 Old 01-05-2014, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post

Her vocal skills were lacking as well. Sure, she can belt out a country or pop tune. A musical theater performer uses song as an extension of the spoken dialog however. There is a flow and natural feeling to it all. She lacks that and probably always will.
Musicals may flow, but there is nothing natural about them, as people do not randomly break into song in the middle of a conversation.

"You'll never believe what happened at school today!"
"Everybody started singing and dancing?"
"...I gave birth to a pterodactyl."
"Oh my God! Did it sing?"

rolleyes.gif
Quote:

Of course this all changes if we substanially lower our expectations...as many seem to have done.
Quote:

Right...it was live...it's not like those inferior Broadway performers have to do every single performance live or anything.

I do not understand why people keep comparing this to a Broadway show. It was not a Broadway show, and it was not trying to be a Broadway show. If you're comparing it to one, you're the one who has unrealistic expectations. I wonder what percentage of Americans has ever even seen a Broadway show to begin with. I expect most of them have neither the time nor the money to fly to New York to see a play, so it's only natural that most Americans would not know how good a Broadway show can be.

Complaining that The Sound of Music Live! wasn't Broadway quality is like complaining about how TV visual effects aren't film quality: of course they aren't, because they're not supposed to be. TV and film are different mediums with different standards and goals, so you're comparing apples to oranges.
slowbiscuit likes this.
post #259 of 301 Old 01-05-2014, 03:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I saw Gaga host SNL a few weeks back. She was very good in a variety of live sketches, seemed to really enjoy herself, and could likely act rings around the wooden Ms. Underwood.

That's interesting. I only used Lady Gaga's name in an attempt to be funny. I had no idea that she might have acting talent.
post #260 of 301 Old 01-05-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That's interesting. I only used Lady Gaga's name in an attempt to be funny. I had no idea that she might have acting talent.

Surprised me too. She struck me as a natural actor/comedienne, very comfortable in front of a camera or audience. Probably because of all the on-the-job training she's gotten from her elaborate stage shows. But I don't think she'd ever be cast as the lead in something like The Sound of Music or any other well-known musical because she's not "pretty" enough in the classic sense. Kind of unfair, but that's the way it is.
post #261 of 301 Old 01-05-2014, 07:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Surprised me too. She struck me as a natural actor/comedienne, very comfortable in front of a camera or audience. Probably because of all the on-the-job training she's gotten from her elaborate stage shows. But I don't think she'd ever be cast as the lead in something like The Sound of Music or any other well-known musical because she's not "pretty" enough in the classic sense. Kind of unfair, but that's the way it is.

I had thought of that too. Although Lady Gaga apparently is a much better actress than Carrie Underwood she falls short in other ways. Still, little Carrie's beauty, wonderful voice, and musicality make me, and a lot of others I think, forgive her almost painful lack of acting talent.
post #262 of 301 Old 01-06-2014, 06:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I had thought of that too. Although Lady Gaga apparently is a much better actress than Carrie Underwood she falls short in other ways. Still, little Carrie's beauty, wonderful voice, and musicality make me, and a lot of others I think, forgive her almost painful lack of acting talent.

And I think that's ultimately the point, not to belabor it further. She was so bad that she destroyed the mood for me. That happens when I'm wincing instead of smiling. Stephen Moyer as well. What plays well when you're a brooding vampire is overplayed when you're supposed to be an Austrian aristocrat. Like Carrie, that he was a passable singer is beside the point.

My final word on this subject: Great idea NBC! Just please, please, rethink your casting choices next time. Something like this, promoted properly, will pull in boffo ratings all by itself. You don't need to resort to stunt casting. As the Bard said (sorta'): let the play be the thing.
post #263 of 301 Old 01-06-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

I do not understand why people keep comparing this to a Broadway show. It was not a Broadway show, and it was not trying to be a Broadway show. If you're comparing it to one, you're the one who has unrealistic expectations. I wonder what percentage of Americans has ever even seen a Broadway show to begin with. I expect most of them have neither the time nor the money to fly to New York to see a play, so it's only natural that most Americans would not know how good a Broadway show can be.

Complaining that The Sound of Music Live! wasn't Broadway quality is like complaining about how TV visual effects aren't film quality: of course they aren't, because they're not supposed to be. TV and film are different mediums with different standards and goals, so you're comparing apples to oranges.

Exactly the point that everyone seems to disagree on, unfortunately - there's a segment here that thinks it should have been Broadway live (and is bitterly disappointed that it wasn't, apparently) and another that recognizes it for what it is, a valiant effort to bring a live musical to a TV audience.

The problem I have is with people saying that Carrie definitively cannot act or sing good enough for what it was (a live TV show), and on that I disagree. She did fine based on the expectations I had for the show going in, but as I said before I've never seen a show on Broadway. I didn't think she was wooden at all, but what do I know.
post #264 of 301 Old 01-06-2014, 07:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The problem I have is with people saying that Carrie definitively cannot act or sing good enough for what it was (a live TV show), and on that I strongly disagree.

Dude, she didn't act well enough for a good community theater production of TSOM, much less a national audience on a major broadcast network. Nothing against her singing, but the part requires more of an actor. If you can't see that, then we'll just have to disagree. Strongly. wink.gif

Apologies. That's my final word on the subject. tongue.gif
post #265 of 301 Old 01-06-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Your opinion, same as is it mine. Nothing more or less.
post #266 of 301 Old 01-06-2014, 07:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Your opinion, same as is it mine. Nothing more or less.

Agreed.
post #267 of 301 Old 01-06-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 189
I don't think most people disagree that Underwood's performance as an actress was sub-par. I'm just not ready to condemn her to eternal perdition solely on the basis of this one show. I'd like to see her try it again after doing live theater nightly for a few months; then we'd know whether the shortfall was really talent or just inexperience.

Is Robert de Niro a great actor? Did you see him on SNL a couple of weeks ago?

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #268 of 301 Old 01-06-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Exactly.
post #269 of 301 Old 01-06-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

And I think that's ultimately the point, not to belabor it further. She was so bad that she destroyed the mood for me. That happens when I'm wincing instead of smiling. Stephen Moyer as well. What plays well when you're a brooding vampire is overplayed when you're supposed to be an Austrian aristocrat. Like Carrie, that he was a passable singer is beside the point.

My final word on this subject: Great idea NBC! Just please, please, rethink your casting choices next time. Something like this, promoted properly, will pull in boffo ratings all by itself. You don't need to resort to stunt casting. As the Bard said (sorta'): let the play be the thing.

Although the claim made by some posters (well, maybe only one, not you) that Carrie Underwood not only can't act but can't sing either, is toweringly preposterous, the fact remains that Carrie can't act. Like you, my daughter stopped watching the show about 20 minutes in because Underwood's wooden performance made her start to obsess over how bad Carrie's acting was instead of getting into the flow of the show. Although I ended up enjoying the show anyway, that doesn't mean those of you who cringed over its star's cringe worthy acting were wrong.
post #270 of 301 Old 01-06-2014, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:

... Like you, my daughter stopped watching the show about 20 minutes in because Underwood's wooden performance ...

(emphasis added)

I noticed that in the beginning, but about 25 or 30 minutes into it she seemed a bit more natural, or at least I stopped noticing it.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page