Black Sails STARZ HD Master Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 97Likes

post #271 of 401 Old 01-04-2016, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3473 Post(s)
Liked: 3427
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I'm racking my brain (what little there is left of it) trying to think of any shows where teeth are Historically accurate .. the only thing coming to mind are Walkers in WD ..
True dat. My experience with the undead is that they definitely need a better dental plan. A good cleaning now and then would work wonders. Along with some Listerine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 401 Old 01-04-2016, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Funny, I was just reading the other day that skulls from the Dark and Middle Ages, for the most part showed remarkably healthy and straight teeth. From all classes of dig sites, meaning tombs and peasant graveyards. Theories are that it was pretty much a sugar free society, also they didn't usually die at a very old age. That said, the 18th Century had a sweet tooth, at least among the noble classes...they were the ones with rotten teeth.
Keenan likes this.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #273 of 401 Old 01-04-2016, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2119 Post(s)
Liked: 2575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post
Funny, I was just reading the other day that skulls from the Dark and Middle Ages, for the most part showed remarkably healthy and straight teeth. From all classes of dig sites, meaning tombs and peasant graveyards. Theories are that it was pretty much a sugar free society, also they didn't usually die at a very old age. That said, the 18th Century had a sweet tooth, at least among the noble classes...they were the ones with rotten teeth.
This is AVS: Audio Video Suedoscience not Science.

post #274 of 401 Old 01-04-2016, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1748 Post(s)
Liked: 2034
After giving it due consideration and thought, I've decided that the "White Teeth Controversy" is not a controversy at all .. .. in most cases, men are scowling, not grinning ..

I did, however, notice this, and cannot say one way or the other whether it is either anatomically correct or correct for the period in question ..

darthrsg likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #275 of 401 Old 01-24-2016, 06:34 AM

It's back.
post #276 of 401 Old 01-24-2016, 07:10 AM

The eyeliner on Max isn't period correct. I've canceled my subscription to the Internet and Starz. They refunded the remaining bits of my life on a gift card.
post #277 of 401 Old 01-25-2016, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2290 Post(s)
Liked: 2545
Just watched the season premier. The show is as good as ever. Its ensemble cast is filled with wonderfully talented actors and beautiful young women. What's not to like? Toby Stevens, Like so many classically trained English actors, could make a reading of the classifieds compelling.

I hated that the beautiful and elegant Mrs. Barlow got killed off at the end of last season. Louise Barnes, who played the role, is as talented as she is gorgeous.

Really looking forward to the rest of the new season!
Mfusick, Keenan and innuss like this.
post #278 of 401 Old 01-25-2016, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2235 Post(s)
Liked: 2040
This show continues to be a standout example of just how good HD TV can actually look. The colors, the clear and sharp images, the scenery and props, just gorgeous.
post #279 of 401 Old 01-25-2016, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked: 634
I only just discovered this show....

Almost done with S2, watching the last 3 episodes tonite.....

I am FLOORED!

Aside from the wonderful visual aspects of the show, the soundtrack is epic! Those engineers must be having a party mixing!

The cannon blasts... well.... wow.... freaking epic.....
gwsat likes this.
post #280 of 401 Old 01-25-2016, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Glad to see the show is back. I had caught up with S2 in December so I didn't have to wait long to pick it up again. I think we've already spent more time at sea in S3 Episode 1 than we did all of S2! Here's hoping this season meets the high standards that S1 & S2 set.
post #281 of 401 Old 01-25-2016, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 899
Prior to the series going on air, I thought I read that it would involve Edward Teach. So through the last seasons I just assumed Captain Flint would eventually morph into Blackbeard. Well that idea has been dashed with this season's premier episode.
post #282 of 401 Old 01-25-2016, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I liked the way the distribution of the Urca's gold was handled offscreen. It allows the focus to be on the British Navy vs Nassau Pirates battle. S3 Ep1, looked great, glad to have this back.
post #283 of 401 Old 01-26-2016, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked: 1045
One of the best shows on television. Gorgeously filmed, well acted, nothing about this show is bad, a rarity, usually I can find something to fault on a show but this one is just spectacular.
archiguy likes this.

post #284 of 401 Old 01-26-2016, 04:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked: 530
I haven't read the thread because I'm just now in the middle of S2, so maybe this has been answered, but I don't get the concern that destroying the fort leaves the town defenseless against the Spanish, when a single Spanish warship can demolish it so easily? Why aren't they negotiating a deal not only to get the fort back, but also to equip it with a few of the longer range guns from the ship?

(I know Flint has inside info to attack from its most vulnerable angle, but it seems to me the Spanish could figure that out pretty quickly on their own)

Also very confused about who Abigail's mother might be, but I assume that will be explained?

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #285 of 401 Old 01-26-2016, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
I haven't read the thread because I'm just now in the middle of S2, so maybe this has been answered, but I don't get the concern that destroying the fort leaves the town defenseless against the Spanish, when a single Spanish warship can demolish it so easily? Why aren't they negotiating a deal not only to get the fort back, but also to equip it with a few of the longer range guns from the ship?

(I know Flint has inside info to attack from its most vulnerable angle, but it seems to me the Spanish could figure that out pretty quickly on their own)

Also very confused about who Abigail's mother might be, but I assume that will be explained?
That fort can set up a no ship zone real fast driving troops to go in on foot. I expect just as you mentioned bigger guns are being added. Not to mention falling back to it and getting ready for siege style stuff. It's an asset for sure.
post #286 of 401 Old 01-26-2016, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:

Great point. They never really address this directly, but you're right: if one ship can do so much damage, how on earth could it be useful against an armada? I guess that's one hole in their story we never noticed.
post #287 of 401 Old 01-26-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post
Great point. They never really address this directly, but you're right: if one ship can do so much damage, how on earth could it be useful against an armada? I guess that's one hole in their story we never noticed.
IIRC wasn't everyone away doing the Urca thing?
post #288 of 401 Old 01-26-2016, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
IIRC wasn't everyone away doing the Urca thing?
No, but the issue isn't whether the fort had enough defenders - it was just Vane's crew anyway. Flint wanted to drive Vane out of it with as little damage as possible. The Spanish fleet would have leveled it completely before landing...

Actually I also didn't understand why Flint wouldn't just get the gold first and then worry about the fort - though I suppose the crew might be a little harder to keep on mission with their pockets full of gold...

I'm not really complaining, just thought I might have missed something - I love everything about the show - Silver's ploy to keep the gold for himself while "solving" Flint's dilemma was a brilliant twist...

CC

post #289 of 401 Old 01-26-2016, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Is there only one fort on Nassau?
If you really want to invade the island, why not just try it from the opposite side. Just position your fleet (or single ship) there and if you can't get close enough, let your soldiers paddle to the island on small boats. You can even let them swim, it is the carribean, water should be warm enough.

BTW, regarding the news they know back from europe and england, how long did it took those ships to sail across the ocean? I guess news traveled quite long back then.
post #290 of 401 Old 01-26-2016, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosFo View Post
Is there only one fort on Nassau?
If you really want to invade the island, why not just try it from the opposite side. Just position your fleet (or single ship) there and if you can't get close enough, let your soldiers paddle to the island on small boats. You can even let them swim, it is the carribean, water should be warm enough.

BTW, regarding the news they know back from europe and england, how long did it took those ships to sail across the ocean? I guess news traveled quite long back then.
FWIW I think the Caribbean is farther south - Nassau is roughly east of Miami.

The fort protects the town from the sea, but if adequately defended would also make a land attack much more costly. Ideally it would also help defend friendly ships in the harbor, which I would think would be the primary target for the Spanish - they have a legitimate beef with the pirates but taking the island itself would reignite the war with England...

CC

post #291 of 401 Old 01-26-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:

Vance took over the fort and it was severely under manned and poor maintenance as the previous "owner" did nothing while he was there. Flint was hesitant to even approach but knew how to get the upper hand. The fort needed repairs then and even more so now, it also needed to be manned properly. A handful of people cannot properly utilize its defenses and that is all Vance had at the time (others were doing other things for him).

post #292 of 401 Old 01-26-2016, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquepattern View Post
Aside from the wonderful visual aspects of the show, the soundtrack is epic! Those engineers must be having a party mixing!

The cannon blasts... well.... wow.... freaking epic.....

Not just the cannon shots; when they're on deck and the ship is underway, the ropes and timbers creaking, wind & waves.
They really make the most of DD sound.
darthrsg and uniquepattern like this.
post #293 of 401 Old 01-27-2016, 06:23 AM

Condensed season one and season two history. Pretty good for those of us who have been waiting for season three and need a refresher.

post #294 of 401 Old 01-27-2016, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Finished S2......

Jacks line at the end to max had to be the best!

"Want to see something shiny?"

This show is wicked.....

Last edited by uniquepattern; 01-27-2016 at 07:36 AM.
post #295 of 401 Old 01-27-2016, 07:23 AM

Maybe old news but I just started the HBO John Adams and would suggest it to fellow fans of that and similar periods, understanding Adams was born after and all. Still nice costumes and settings with audio to match.

Also of note are the movie versions of Treasure Island if you need some more pirate stuff in your life. Robert Newton delivers a superb Silver, in the 1950 Disney film, that is dead on with the book and it's cool to see his origins in Black Sails. Heston and Christian Bale in the 1990 version are quite good as well.
post #296 of 401 Old 01-31-2016, 07:26 PM

Aye mates, the audio in the latest is so good. I could listen to the storm sequences forever.
post #297 of 401 Old 02-01-2016, 03:20 AM

That entire storm sequence was amazing to watch so well done.

My only gripe is the old, here is one little piece of the ship, he must be dead. So many shows do that, but oh well, over all a great start to this season.

post #298 of 401 Old 02-01-2016, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
That entire storm sequence was amazing to watch so well done.

My only gripe is the old, here is one little piece of the ship, he must be dead. So many shows do that, but oh well, over all a great start to this season.
It's the flag! A pirate captain wouldn't let his flag go under any circumstance other than sinking. That said Captain Flint isn't your ordinary pirate captain...

Bobby 

post #299 of 401 Old 02-01-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
It's the flag! A pirate captain wouldn't let his flag go under any circumstance other than sinking. That said Captain Flint isn't your ordinary pirate captain...
I think a huge hurricane with water spouts is enough of a circumstance to let the flag go, not much else he could do about it anyway, doubt he would go swimming for it.

post #300 of 401 Old 02-01-2016, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 899
Zach McGowan who plays Captain Charles Vane is really getting some good work. I first noticed him in Shameless, then Black Sails, and now this seasons The 100. Good for him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page