Black Sails STARZ HD Master Thread - Page 8 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #211 of 230 Old 03-23-2015, 08:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 670
I agree that Black Sails has found its pace and is a terrific show these days. Really looking forward to the season finale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 230 Old 03-23-2015, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 340
While I really have grown tired of Vance and all he is doing, it was cool to see him wanting to get Flynt out of there.

post #213 of 230 Old 03-29-2015, 05:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 905
Well now. That's how you do a season finale on a pirate show. With death raining down from a massive warship anchored in the bay! Flint escapes, thanks to Charles Vane, of all people. John Silver on his way to becoming a permanent pirate with peg-leg. The crew likes him; they really, really like him!

Jack & Anne reconciling - with that big pile of Urca gold. Max sitting pretty. Peter Ashe getting his just desserts. Eleanor on her way to London for trial. (Guess they're going to have to bust her out too.) And was that a glimpse of Blackbeard in the teaser for next season? It was either that or James Harden is moonlighting as a pirate. Which would be cool.

This show really upped its game this season. Looking forward to next.
Gandu likes this.

Last edited by archiguy; 03-29-2015 at 08:02 AM.
post #214 of 230 Old 03-29-2015, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Great show, great finale.. but why do we have to wait till next year for the new season to begin?..

post #215 of 230 Old 03-29-2015, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Well now. That's how you do a season finale on a pirate show. With death raining down from a massive warship anchored in the bay! Flint escapes, thanks to Charles Vane, of all people. John Silver on his way to becoming a permanent pirate with peg-leg. The crew likes him; they really, really like him!

Jack & Anne reconciling - with that big pile of Urca gold. Max sitting pretty. Peter Ashe getting his just desserts. Eleanor on her way to London for trial. (Guess they're going to have to bust her out too.) And was that a glimpse of Blackbeard in the teaser for next season? It was either that or James Harden is moonlighting as a pirate. Which would be cool.

This show really upped its game this season. Looking forward to next.
The possible Blackbeard was Ray Stevenson, a role he should excel at.
post #216 of 230 Old 03-29-2015, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 12
WOWsers heck of a season ender,come on 2016.I know Vane and Flynn will never be "friends" but even not knowing the whole story about Flynn and what went on you could see his respect for him went WAY up and especially when Billy was told to turn Vane's crew loose.

Next season is sure shaping up to be even better than this years.

Now bring on Strike Back !!!!

Jerry
post #217 of 230 Old 03-29-2015, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 670
I agree that Black Sails was terrific this year and the season finale was wonderful. Was glad to see the sleazy, murderous Lord Ashe and he lethal henchman, who shot Miranda, get their just deserts.

Thanks to the horde of gold Rackham brought back to Nassau the Republic of Pirates seems to be well and truly established. Really looking forward to Season 3!
post #218 of 230 Old 03-29-2015, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Agree 100%. I know it very cost prohibitive but I wish these series could have more episodes (although they did go from 8 to 10). January 2016 seems a long time from now.
post #219 of 230 Old 03-30-2015, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post
Great show, great finale.. but why do we have to wait till next year for the new season to begin?..
Agreed.....Next year is too long...they should do a summer return..
post #220 of 230 Old 03-30-2015, 07:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajmarie View Post
Well, they're filming the next season now, so a summer return might actually be possible. But Starz has their own schedule to make, and they've probably slotted the next season of this show in 2016.

But 'Outlander' returns this week and I quite enjoy that one too. Then 'DaVinci's Demons' returns later this year so Starz will keep earning my subscription dollars for, probably, years to come if they keep this level of quality originals up.

Those bastards!
rajmarie likes this.
post #221 of 230 Old 03-30-2015, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajmarie View Post
It would be nice, but I do like most of the other shows STARZ has in this time slot. So that helps.

It seems short seasons on pay channels are the cost of doing business nowadays. If that means better stories, and higher production values, I'm all for it.
acebreathe and rajmarie like this.
post #222 of 230 Old 03-30-2015, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Fantastic season finale. Toby Stephens plays inner burning rage as well as anyone on TV these days. Whatever thoughts Flint had about he and Vane just getting out of there alive completely went south when Miranda was being pelted with produce by the locals. He blowed them up real good.
post #223 of 230 Old 03-30-2015, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 340
I thought the first half was slow, but that battle in the city was freaking amazing. Very impressive, and their bombardment at the end, wow!

post #224 of 230 Old 03-30-2015, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Kudos to Luke Arnold and his portrayal of John Silver soon to be Long John. He had me believing that the spies lied to him about the gold being gone. Good finale. Wonder if we will see Eleanor next season. Glad someone got the gold. Took all season.
post #225 of 230 Old 03-31-2015, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I too really like this show. Tobey Stephens has eyes like his mother, Maggie Smith...maybe not as washed out, but very compelling. All the actors are top notch. The constant betrayals of trust get a tad tiresome, for me anyway, but the production values, acting and storytelling are magnetic to my eyes. I also really like Callico Jack as a character and the actor whom I've never looked up, nails it every week. From what I've read every Pirate Captain named except for Flynt (Flint?) are historical or from literature (Silver) characters. It's not going to end well for them, but the fun of watching them meet their just desserts will be entertaining.
acebreathe likes this.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #226 of 230 Old 03-31-2015, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 1458
I think this is my favorite show on TV these days. The last episode was fantastic.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #227 of 230 Old 04-01-2015, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
Fantastic season finale. Toby Stephens plays inner burning rage as well as anyone on TV these days. Whatever thoughts Flint had about he and Vane just getting out of there alive completely went south when Miranda was being pelted with produce by the locals. He blowed them up real good.
Reminds me of a line from Boardwalk Empire where Nucky is told he can't be "half a gangster".
Well, Flint sure went "full" pirate in the season finale.
post #228 of 230 Old 04-01-2015, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just started watching this last week after stumbling across the S2 finale during a channel surfing session. After finishing the S2 finale yesterday I quickly jumped into this thread and was surprised (shocked actually) with the, somewhat negative, reaction to the early third of S1. I was hooked from S1E1 all the way through the S2 finale. As I though about it though I could see how waiting a week for what seems like copious exposition could get old. I wonder if binge watching is changing not only the way we watch but what we get out of what we watch. That being said... January 2016? Really?

post #229 of 230 Old 04-03-2015, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
I think this is my favorite show on TV these days. The last episode was fantastic.
yes indeed. Seeing Flint take his revenge on Charleston & the gov was awesome. And the ending....what more could people want?

This has been a great series, with some of the best acting & drama on TV. I said so from the beginning of season 1 It isn't Game of Thrones but it's up there.

I like the part in this episode where the show pays homage to famous literature WRT to John Silver....now we know I won't spoil it for those who haven't watched.

Jan 2016 is a long wait.

Steve

Last edited by ss9001; 04-03-2015 at 06:27 PM.
post #230 of 230 Old Today, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 928
Finally finished off a binge watch of the entire season .. like a fine book, I had a hard time stopping over the 2 days .. Season One gave us a near perfect intro .. Season Two drilled down hard and cemented the show, IMO, as a bona fide contender .. I don't think Pirate Action Drama can get any better .. when you're rooting for the Bad Guys, you know the crew is doing their job and doing it well ..

And at 120", the PQ was just stunning .. the attention to detail, the depth of color .. and the audio was pretty darn good as well ..

So, so many really great shows these days, so little time ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming