Black Sails STARZ HD Master Thread - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 25Likes
post #241 of 250 Old 07-15-2015, 04:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked: 1160
I must admit that this show didn't grab me at first. I watched the first couple of eps and decided a pirate show where all the pirates did was stand around on shore, talking and plotting, wasn't really worth my time. Bagged most of the first season but didn't delete the season pass. Since they had accumulated on the Magic Machine, I was bored one day and decided to watch the last 2 or 3 of the first season. And was hooked.

The second season was some really great tee-vee. Plenty of action & derring-do, along with a compelling plotline, meticulous production values and great performances, especially from Toby Stevens who's been amazing. I'm surprised this show doesn't get more buzz. I don't hear or read much about it and it's been ignored at awards time.

Just goes to show what a prolific time it is for this medium. Golden age of television indeed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 250 Old 07-15-2015, 04:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked: 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I must admit that this show didn't grab me at first. I watched the first couple of eps and decided a pirate show where all the pirates did was stand around on shore, talking and plotting, wasn't really worth my time. Bagged most of the first season but didn't delete the season pass. Since they had accumulated on the Magic Machine, I was bored one day and decided to watch the last 2 or 3 of the first season. And was hooked.

The second season was some really great tee-vee. Plenty of action & derring-do, along with a compelling plotline, meticulous production values and great performances, especially from Toby Stevens who's been amazing. I'm surprised this show doesn't get more buzz. I don't hear or read much about it and it's been ignored at awards time.

Just goes to show what a prolific time it is for this medium. Golden age of television indeed.
My dive into it began with a self imposed no second screen rule. It's been a while since I watched a show with no phone or tablet in my hand. That standing around and plotting business in S1 was really nice. I was hoping they kept the action to a minimum out of fear it would turn into Pirates of the Caribbean. They did focus on the lesser known acts of pirates and some of the history. The crew dynamic was cool also. That's not say my eyes didn't light up when we got some boat action though.

"When crazy is standard, sane needs a name tag."
post #243 of 250 Old 07-15-2015, 12:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
The second season was some really great tee-vee. Plenty of action & derring-do, along with a compelling plotline, meticulous production values and great performances, especially from Toby Stevens who's been amazing.
I agree that Toby Stevens, who is Maggie Smith's son, has been terrific. The apple didn't fall far from the tree, did it?
post #244 of 250 Old 07-15-2015, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 55
No it didn't...while I have some trouble with the constant betrayals between the groups of pro/antagonists, it's a great show. Extraordinary, when it gets going.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #245 of 250 Old 07-15-2015, 06:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post
I have some trouble with the constant betrayals between the groups
It's like a drinking game. Everytime a betrayal occurs...drink.
acebreathe likes this.

post #246 of 250 Old 07-16-2015, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
It's like a drinking game. Everytime a betrayal occurs...drink.
I'd be killing my liver with bad rum..matey.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #247 of 250 Old 07-16-2015, 09:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked: 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post
I'd be killing my liver with bad rum..matey.

Just make sure you don't walk any planks after consuming all that demon rum. Splat! Arrrrrgh!
post #248 of 250 Old 07-22-2015, 05:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

S1 was a 10 in my book and S2 was an 11. Cannot wait for S3.

post #249 of 250 Old 07-22-2015, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Now that the British Navy is situated to wipe them out, I hope they concentrate less on intercrew betrayals and get seriously busy creating mayhem. Of course, Blackbeard being added ( a real psycho badass), should up the game some.

post #250 of 250 Unread Today, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Starz Renews Black Sails for Season 4 Ahead of Season 3
By Kaitlin Thomas | Friday, July 31, 2015 | tv.com

It's good to be on Starz. The network, famous for renewing shows before anyone even cares if they're renewed, has picked up the high seas adventure drama Black Sails for Season 4, the network announced Friday at the Television Critics Association summer press tour. The show's firs two seasons averaged 4.5 million viewers across multiple platforms.

The show, created by Jonathan E. Steinberg (Jericho) and Robert Levine (Touch), stars Toby Stephens as Captain Flint and takes place 20 years prior to the events of Robert Louis Stevenson’s classic novel Treasure Island. The 10-episode Season 3, which sees the addition of Ray Stevenson (Rome) as the iconic pirate Blackbeard, premieres in 2016.

Are you excited to know that there are still at least two more seasons worth of horny pirate shenanigans?

http://www.tv.com/shows/black-sails/...-143835518934/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page