Old 12-19-2013, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Arrrgg ..

Tag Line : 1715. The Golden Age of Piracy

I'll give credit to STARZ for "Da Vinci's Demons", "Spartacus", "Dancing on the Edge" .. and who does not like Pirates .. ??

Preview looks good .. Exec Producer : Michael Bay

http://www.starz.com/originals/blacksails

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2013, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Interesting... I'll watch. Thanks for sharing, I hadn't heard of this yet.

Obligatory pirate picture:
Old 12-19-2013, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post

Interesting... I'll watch. Thanks for sharing, I hadn't heard of this yet.

Obligatory pirate picture:

I've liked most of what STARZ has done with original programming ... "White Queen" was not that great, but I think STARZ imported that one ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 12-19-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 555
I never had STARZ until I moved from Cox OKC's service area to Tulsa. When I moved here Cox Tulsa was having a promotion, so for the time being at least I get STARZ for the same price I had been paying for the HBO, Cinemax, Showtime bundle. I will give Black Sails a chance. After all, what's not to like about a show filled with swashbuckling derring do? Arrrggh me hearties! smile.gif
Old 12-19-2013, 11:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Starz ran a pretty extensive promo/ behind the scenes piece last weekend in between episodes of Spartacus Uncut. Looks interesting.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Been on my must watch list for awile now.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Very cool. I've been seeing some media attention to this lately. I'll check in, but I admit Pirates are not my favorite subject tongue.gif
Old 12-20-2013, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Pirates done well is what I'm looking and hoping for.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

InsideTV Podcast: Toby Stephens on hunting for pirate treasure on 'Black Sails'
By Dalton Ross / Jan 17, 2014 at 11:33AM / insidetv.ew.com

No parrots. No peg legs. No eye patches. You will find none of those things in Starz’s new pirate drama Black Sails (which debuts Jan.25). What you will find, however, is a big sweeping adventure in the pursuit of treasure. And leading that pursuit is none other than Toby Stephens, who stopped by the Entertainment Weekly Radio studios (SiriusXM, channel 105) to chat all about it. And he reveals that when he was originally approached about starring on a pirate show, he had no interest. “When my agent sent me the script,” says Stephens, “I just went, ‘forget it.’” But then he finally read the darn thing and enlisted in what has the potential to be Starz’s biggest hit since the dearly departed Spartacus.

You can now hear the entire interview right here on the InsideTV Podcast. Stephens explains about life on the high seas, the pirate code of conduct, and why “they stopped at the teeth” when it came to making him and his shipmates look especially gross and grimy. Stephens also discusses his role in the James Bond universe, not only playing a villain in Die Another Day, but actually playing 007 himself as well. It’s a fun, rollicking chat that somehow manages to completely avoid the words “arrgh,” “matey,” and “scurvy” throughout. Just click the audio player icon below to listen in.

But that’s not all! We also break down all the Golden Globe television category shockers (Brooklyn Nine-Nine?) with Kristen Baldwin while weighing in on all things Jacqueline Bisset. And last, but certainly not least, Tricia Helfer stops by the studio to talk about her new ABC show Killer Women as well as her continuing friendship/partnership with fellow Battlestar Galactica alum Katee Sackhoff. The only question is: How much awesomeness can you handle? Because there is plenty of awesomeness to go around.

You can listen to the whole podcast by clicking on the audio player icon below. You can also download the entire podcast right here. Or, since we’re on iTunes, you can subscribe for free and take the podcast with you. No iTunes? No problem. To send a question to the InsideTV Podcast team, follow us on Twitter @InsideTVPodcast. And to hear more interviews and television discussion and debate, check out Entertainment Weekly Radio channel 105 on SiriusXM.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/01/17/podcast-toby-stephens-black-sails/
Old 01-25-2014, 12:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Tonight!!
Old 01-25-2014, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 122
DirecTV's Audience Network played Black Sails "I" (edited for content) yesterday Friday 1-24 at 5:30pm.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Saw it last week on "On Demand" and was disappointed with it. None of the characters seemed likable or interesting but I'll give it one more shot.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 71
From H.O.T.P. I was looking forward to it but now i'm not so sure!

BLACK SAILS
Starz!, 9:00 p.m. ET
SERIES PREMIERE: This is more warning than recommendation. This Michael Bay TV production has all the action set pieces and random violence and nudity you’ve come to expect from his movies – with characters just as thin, and actors who, for the most part, look a lot better than they act. In the case of Black Sails, this is a shame, because it’s borrowing characters from another, much better pirate story. Black Sails is a prequel to Robert Louis Stevenson’s Treasure Island, with a younger version of (Long) John Silver, played by Luke Arnold, at its center. This drama looks good, and its genre and setting certainly is different – but a swashbuckler, in this day and age, needs good writing to stay afloat, not just boats, beatings, and breasts.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I'm going into it not expecting a cerebral joy ride .. if it's even half as good as "Da Vinci's Demons" or "Spartacus", I'll probably be fine with it ..

My level of expectation may be lower than others .. tongue.gif

Uncle Willie

Old 01-25-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I'm going into it not expecting a cerebral joy ride .. if it's even half as good as "Da Vinci's Demons" or "Spartacus", I'll probably be fine with it ..

My level of expectation may be lower than others .. tongue.gif

You and me, partner! When it comes to TV dramas, especially Michael Bay productions on Starz, I will settle for loud and dumb if the show manages to hold my attention. What the hell though, although they are on Cinemax, not Starz, I like Banshee and Strike Back so how bad could Black Sails be? smile.gif By the way just learned that the star of the show, Toby Stephens, is Maggie Smith's son.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

You and me, partner! When it comes to TV dramas, especially Michael Bay productions on Starz, I will settle for loud and dumb if the show manages to hold my attention. What the hell though, although they are on Cinemax, not Starz, I like Banshee and Strike Back so how bad could Black Sails be? smile.gif By the way just learned that the star of the show, Toby Stephens, is Maggie Smith's son.

It took me a while (a few episodes) to really start digging "Banshee" .. but, once I got rolling with it, the ride was pretty good ..

I was on board with "Strike Back" immediately .. after all, they blow something up about every episode, and there's sex and it's a Buddy show .. what's not to like .. ?? tongue.gif

Uncle Willie

Old 01-25-2014, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

It was great, well acted and stuff. Just not my type of programming subject matter.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

It was great, well acted and stuff. Just not my type of programming subject matter.

We may be in agreement here. I like pirates as much as the next guy but I found the dialog hard to understand and the politics behind the hierarchy hard to follow. The story just didn't flow like a Spartacus or even Rome, but to be fair I didn't get Spartacus the first time either so I'll reserve judgment for now but even a decent lesbian scene didn't quite save this for me.....
Old 01-26-2014, 03:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

Great looking but I have to agree with mylan on a couple of points. The dialogue was hard to understand at times and the politics the way it was laid out hard to connect. But I think the real problem for me was that they introduced too many characters with shifting loyalties to keep track off going forward. I'll give it a couple more episodes. The late great Spartacus didn't get on a roll right away it took a few episodes before it found it's footing. Anyone looking for the Depp pirate movies will be disappointed although the actress playing the bar owner money lender seems to have been cast only because she resembles Keira Knightly. A lot less action than I've come to expect from a Michael Bay project.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 703
I was looking forward to it but... meh. Nothing really compelling enough there to make me want to devote an hour a week to it. Think I'll wait for 'Outlander' this summer, another Ron Moore sci-fi series, and give this one a pass. 'DaVinci's Demons' is back soon and I quite like that one. But I think this is an expensive misfire for Starz.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 343
^^ Sorry to read that. I have it recorded so we'll see...trailers and the 15 min preview short looked interesting.
Outlander - didn't know about that one, will watch when it's on, esp since Ron Moore.

eagerly waiting for S4 Game of Thrones.

Steve
Old 01-26-2014, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I was looking forward to it but... meh. Nothing really compelling enough there to make me want to devote an hour a week to it. Think I'll wait for 'Outlander' this summer, another Ron Moore sci-fi series, and give this one a pass. 'DaVinci's Demons' is back soon and I quite like that one. But I think this is an expensive misfire for Starz.
According to one of the reviews on Hot Off the Press thread it has been renewed for a second season. Only time will tell if it's a misfire but someone seems willing to pay the bill. Granted it's only one episode but it sure did not look cheap.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post

According to one of the reviews on Hot Off the Press thread it has been renewed for a second season. Only time will tell if it's a misfire but someone seems willing to pay the bill. Granted it's only one episode but it sure did not look cheap.

That's not unprecedented. A Starz show I quite liked - Kelsey Grammer's 'Boss' - was given an initial 2-season order as well. But slack ratings forced them to cancel it after the second season (even though ratings by themselves aren't a driver of a premium channel's programming).

I still miss 'Boss', but based on the pilot episode I don't think I'll miss 'Black Sails'. I do agree that it looks like they spent some serious doubloons on this thing. Should have spent some of it on better writers.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

That's not unprecedented. A Starz show I quite liked - Kelsey Grammer's 'Boss' - was given an initial 2-season order as well. But slack ratings forced them to cancel it after the second season (even though ratings by themselves aren't a driver of a premium channel's programming).

I still miss 'Boss', but based on the pilot episode I don't think I'll miss 'Black Sails'. I do agree that it looks like they spent some serious doubloons on this thing. Should have spent some of it on better writers.
I know a renewal if you want to call it that is not unprecedented, Spartucus announced its second season before a single episode aired. I still miss Boss as well and was pissed that they canceled it especially since I liked the second season better then the first. And more money on better writers is always a good idea. I'll give it a couple more episodes before I pull the plug.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylan View Post

I found the dialog hard to understand and the politics behind the hierarchy hard to follow.

Whew, I thought it was just me. I almost turned on CC.

I liked the show though and will continue to watch.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 48
I don't understand all this negativity about having a lot of characters, alliances, and politics. Would people prefer a show that spoon-feeds you the plot? If you want simple and stupid, watch Transformers. I find this kind of show, with its approach and broad range of characters, refreshing.

I'm fully signed up to see how the various loyalties play out. Lots of good politics and possibilities.

Good looking show, too. Love the blue water!
Old 01-27-2014, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post

I don't understand all this negativity about having a lot of characters, alliances, and politics. Would people prefer a show that spoon-feeds you the plot? If you want simple and stupid, watch Transformers. I find this kind of show, with its approach and broad range of characters, refreshing.

This was one of the exact same beefs that came up periodically early on with "Game of Thrones" .. and so, based on that, I figure it's a good thing .. tongue.gif

Uncle Willie

Old 01-27-2014, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The crew initiation by meeting 'Blackbeard' and friends would be quite an effective recruiting tool smile.gif

"Black Sails is influenced by Robert Louis Stevenson's classic adventure tale, Treasure Island, often revered as one of the great coming-of-age novels despite, you know, being about pirates. The new Starz series will work as a prequel to Stevenson's work, and add in a few well-known real-life pirates of days past just for kicks.

Before you get watchin', here's our crash course on Black Sails characters your high school English teachers should've already taught you about."

6 "Black Sails" Characters You Should Already Know About
Old 01-27-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Watched it on demand I barely made it through the first episode.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 55
All I can say is, I didn't expect Blackbeard to have that name because, of, well. that! smile.gif