AVS Forum banner

The Assets

2K views 43 replies 20 participants last post by  nlk10010 
#1 ·
Watched the first episode of The Assets last night. It is a miniseries about the infamous CIA turncoat, Aldrich Ames. Hope this miniseries improves because the first episode profoundly disappointed me. Paul Rhys was badly miscast as Aldrich Ames. Alas, his American accent was awful. That's too bad because the guy is clearly a top flight actor. He was nominated for an Olivier Award. Jodie Whittaker, as a determined CIA agent, was a lot better though. Anyway, so far, there's not much there there. If Episode 2 isn't a lot better I will be gone.

#32 ·
Rumor has it (Tivo Forum) that they will be scheduled on Sunday afternoons.
Here you go: The Assets: Unaired Episodes to Run Sunday Afternoons

from the linked story said:
Episodes five (“Check Mate”) and six (“Small Useless Truth”) will run on July 27th at 4pm and 5pm. Episodes seven (“The Straw Poll”) and eight (“Avenger”) will then air on August 3rd at 4pm and 5pm.
(And I'm not sure I care enough to look hard.)
I must admit my enthusiasm for the series is also waning. For example, I have episodes 3 & 4 on my DVR but I haven't watched more than about 2 minutes of episode 3, and I already have too many better things to watch.

#40 ·
Imagine my surprise during the 6th episode that the tape deck that was used is mine. OK, not exactly mine, but the exact same model that I have, the Sony TC-651. Mine is fully functional. I need a new capstan belt, but it is still working.

The only thing they got wrong was at the end when the tape ran out. When that happens, the tape break switch causes the deck to stop, as if you pushed the black stop button. Oh well.

#42 · (Edited)
Have not yet seen the last two episodes of the Assets that ABC has been burning off at odd times after canceling the show. I have, however. safely recorded them on my TiVo and am looking forward to watching them. Although the American accents of several of the show's largely British cast have been lacking. I have loved the story. It is not only excellent dramatically but recounts the history of the Aldrich Ames scandal at the CIA with remarkable accuracy. I just wish every series ABC airs could be even close to as good.

#43 ·
I was browsing through Netflix the other day and came upon The Assets. I liked the two episodes that had aired but had not caught up with any of the online episodes, Sure enough Netflix has the entire series and the additional show that highlighted the real people involved from Rick Ames to General Dmitri Polyakov's (Top Hat) grandaughter who eventually came to the US. She is now the best of friends with Sandy Grimes. I did enjoy the remaining episodes but could understand why it didn't draw a viewing audience, It was very methodical and detailed and the Ames scandal was probably largely unknown to most viewers and that doomed it from the start.

#44 ·
Interesting. I just finished watching this on Netflix and, while I agree that the first one or two episodes dragged, was absolutely fascinated by it. A little confusing with all the "GT"s, granted; nevertheless, wifey and I thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact, it piqued our interest in the real-life events and, in particular, Robert Hanssen, who apparently began spying even before Ames and wasn't caught until 2001. Took a look at "Breach", but didn't like it nearly as much. Going to try to "track down" Master Spy for another perspective. Interesting fact I read (if you read it on the Internet it must be true, right?) is that Hanssen had actually been the first one to "out" Polyakov but the Russians didn't believe it until Ames confirmed Polyakov was a double-agent.

In sum, very interesting and very informative, I really didn't know much about this beforehand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.