Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 39 Old 01-04-2014, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Watched the first episode of The Assets last night. It is a miniseries about the infamous CIA turncoat, Aldrich Ames. Hope this miniseries improves because the first episode profoundly disappointed me. Paul Rhys was badly miscast as Aldrich Ames. Alas, his American accent was awful. That's too bad because the guy is clearly a top flight actor. He was nominated for an Olivier Award. Jodie Whittaker, as a determined CIA agent, was a lot better though. Anyway, so far, there's not much there there. If Episode 2 isn't a lot better I will be gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 01-06-2014, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I actually had the opposite reaction. Maybe I went at with low expectations. I had it on my DVR and I almost deleted it without watching it, but I had caught up with everything I had on my DVR so I gave it a try and watched it over the weekend. It caught my attention and now I am looking forward to the second episode. That scene in which the Embassy/CIA agent is trying to evade the KGP while trying to drop the money in the park was really good.
post #3 of 39 Old 01-08-2014, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Much slower paced than other modern TV series. Although not nearly as good, the pacing reminded me of the BBC Le Carre mini-series.

I enjoyed it.

Jdg
post #4 of 39 Old 01-08-2014, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDG View Post

Much slower paced than other modern TV series. Although not nearly as good, the pacing reminded me of the BBC Le Carre mini-series.

I enjoyed it.

Please don't take offense, but I think the two Smiley miniseries, starring Alec Guiness, were uniquely wonderful because they took the time necessary to tell an intricate story. There's a caveat, though, I have read and reread Le Carre's Karla Trilogy and until someone suggests something better, I will continue to think that they are the best spy novels of all time. I know John Le Carre (well, not really, but you know where I'm coming from) and in my opinion at least, The Assets is not in the same world with either of the two BBC series based on the first and last Karla Novels, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and Smiley's People. I own the DVDs of both miniseries and watch both periodically.
post #5 of 39 Old 01-09-2014, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Can someone put the network on the thread title?

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #6 of 39 Old 01-10-2014, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
post #7 of 39 Old 01-10-2014, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Wow, that was quick. I started to wonder if it was going to be a knock off of The Americans.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #8 of 39 Old 01-10-2014, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The cancellation of The Assets doesn't bother me at all because its star, Paul Rhys, was so horribly miscast. No actor should have been given the role of Aldrich Ames who couldn't provide a credible American accent. Rhys, simply couldn't do that. Good riddance!
post #9 of 39 Old 01-10-2014, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

My DVR shows a new episode next week.

Anyone else notice the bare breast in the bedroom scene? Thought that was verboten on network TV.

post #10 of 39 Old 01-11-2014, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

Anyone else notice the bare breast in the bedroom scene? Thought that was verboten on network TV.

Ha ha I saw that and had to rewind and look. it was the guy not the Gal. Ha Hah Hah

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #11 of 39 Old 01-11-2014, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82

I'm guessing one reason very few seemed to have watched it was the poor description in Tribune Media. I have my Tivo setup to record all "pilots" or new series, for whatever reason The Assets pilot didn't record :((I assume it didn't have the word "pilot" in the description or whatever else Tivo uses to distinguish a pilot series). I only learned of it through this thread and when I checked my Tivo it looks like they didn't repeat the pilot like they do sometimes :mad:(strike 2). Well I watched the second episode and kind of liked it so I setup a SP, now I learn it's already been cancelled! I wonder how many other people missed it like I and if that could be part of the reason for such low numbers......?

post #12 of 39 Old 01-11-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

Ha ha I saw that and had to rewind and look. it was the guy not the Gal. Ha Hah Hah

There's a drug for man boobs, saw it advertised on TV. biggrin.gif

post #13 of 39 Old 01-11-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 56

I was enjoying it but will not grieve its cancellation. I know how things turned out from news accounts and I did like the 1998 TV movie Aldrich Ames: Traitor Within.

post #14 of 39 Old 01-11-2014, 05:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 540
If you're looking for a first-class show about the cold war spy era, try FX's 'The Americans'. Back next month. One of the 3 or 4 really great series on TV right now, IMO.
post #15 of 39 Old 01-11-2014, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

If you're looking for a first-class show about the cold war spy era, try FX's 'The Americans'. Back next month. One of the 3 or 4 really great series on TV right now, IMO.

I agree, this show (The Assets) seemed like a cheap ripoff of The Americans.

Why does everyone at the office call Ames, Rick? He introduced himself to the Russian as Aldrich Ames.

post #16 of 39 Old 01-12-2014, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Aldrich ~ Rick

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #17 of 39 Old 01-12-2014, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Yeah, same way that we often call someone who's named Ferguson 'Fergie'...

Bobby 

post #18 of 39 Old 01-12-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 540
I still want somebody to tell me how they get "Dick" from "Richard". confused.gif
post #19 of 39 Old 01-12-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Tricky Dick aka Richard Nixon. biggrin.gif

post #20 of 39 Old 01-12-2014, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

I still want somebody to tell me how they get "Dick" from "Richard". confused.gif

Same way we get "Bill" or even "Liam" from William". :(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_%28name%29

See for Richard, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #21 of 39 Old 01-12-2014, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yeah, despite my detestation of Paul Rhys' performance as Aldrich Ames in Episode 1 of The Assets, I thought he was much better in Episode 2 and I liked the storytelling better. In fact, I thought the bait and switch scene in which we were supposed to think that Ames had dissolved a cyanide capsule in the Soviet defector's herbal tea but it turned out that Ames didn't do it when he excused himself from the interrogation room to dispose of the capsule was quite good. Better yet, there are only 6 episodes to go. smile.gif I also continue to like Jodie Whittaker as a young CIA agent. Her American accent is outstanding. My main complaint about the show is that its cast is mostly British actors playing Americans. Despite how accomplished their acting, most of their accents are a half a bubble out of plumb, if you get what I mean.
post #22 of 39 Old 01-12-2014, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Quote:

Yeah, despite my detestation of Paul Rhys' performance as Aldrich Ames in Episode 1 of The Assets, I thought he was much better in Episode 2 and I liked the storytelling better. In fact, I thought the bait and switch scene in which we were supposed to think that Ames had dissolved a cyanide capsule in the Soviet defector's herbal tea but it turned out that Ames didn't do it when he excused himself from the interrogation room to dispose of the capsule was quite good. Better yet, there are only 6 episodes to go. smile.gif I also continue to like Jodie Whittaker as a young CIA agent. Her American accent is outstanding. My main complaint about the show is that its cast is mostly British actors playing Americans. Despite how accomplished their acting, most of their accents are a half a bubble out of plumb, if you get what I mean.

"Better yet, there are only 6 episodes to go."

Only six to go?!? Haven't you read the posts above yours? It's done.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/01/10/the-assets-canceled-by-abc-after-2-episodes/228440/?utm_campaign=WP%20%3E%20Twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #23 of 39 Old 01-13-2014, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Is this the first mini series that was ever cancelled before completing its run? I have to imagine the whole thing was already shot. I was going to just delete the two episodes since I hadn't watched them when I heard it was cancelled but decided to watch it this weekend and I really enjoyed it. I hope ABC decides to make the rest of the episodes available somewhere.
post #24 of 39 Old 01-13-2014, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I watched the first episode and didn't care that much for it so passed on the second. ABC will likely show the remaining ones this summer.
post #25 of 39 Old 01-13-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

I watched the first episode and didn't care that much for it so passed on the second. ABC will likely show the remaining ones this summer.

Then I suppose I should keep my Season Pass active, was going to delete it since I see no more episodes in the next two weeks but if there is a chance it will air in the summer I'll keep it for now.

post #26 of 39 Old 01-18-2014, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
From ABC Prez:
“The Assets” is also a concept that Lee is proud of creatively, even though it pulled dismal ratings during its debut earlier this month.

Lee assured the room of journos that ABC will find a spot for viewers to watch the remaining episodes of “The Assets,” whether it be on network in the coming months, or on ABC’s digital platforms.
post #27 of 39 Old 06-19-2014, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
ABC will run the final six episodes starting this Saturday, June 21, at 9 ET.
If you want to re-watch the first two they are available online.
http://abc.go.com/shows/the-assets
Mark12547 likes this.
post #28 of 39 Old 06-19-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

No thanks.
post #29 of 39 Old 06-19-2014, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by gwsat 

Quote:Originally Posted by archiguy 

Yeah, despite my detestation of Paul Rhys' performance as Aldrich Ames in Episode 1 of The Assets, I thought he was much better in Episode 2 and I liked the storytelling better. In fact, I thought the bait and switch scene in which we were supposed to think that Ames had dissolved a cyanide capsule in the Soviet defector's herbal tea but it turned out that Ames didn't do it when he excused himself from the interrogation room to dispose of the capsule was quite good. Better yet, there are only 6 episodes to go. I also continue to like Jodie Whittaker as a young CIA agent. Her American accent is outstanding. My main complaint about the show is that its cast is mostly British actors playing Americans. Despite how accomplished their acting, most of their accents are a half a bubble out of plumb, if you get what I mean.

"Better yet, there are only 6 episodes to go."

Only six to go?!? Haven't you read the posts above yours? It's done.
As I said, there are only 6 episodes to go and the show is not so "done," is it? Sometimes patience pays.

As noted in earlier posts, I was less than crazy about the two episodes that were shown before the show got pulled. Despite my misgivings, now that it's back I plan to stick with the show.
post #30 of 39 Old 07-02-2014, 02:31 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Unhappy The Assets cancelled AGAIN

The Assets: ABC Cancels Spy Drama — Again

So, unless ABC releases all the episodes or make them available for streaming, we will have seen only 4 of the 8 episodes.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page