post #61 of 77 Old 01-12-2014, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by borntocoast View Post

What Newton Minow called a "Vast Wasteland" in 1960 is PARADISE compared to what's laughingly called "Programming" in this day and age. mad.gif

Really? Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1960%E2%80%9361_United_States_network_television_schedule
Which of these programs would you watch now? And how many are still available on networks like Cozy, Antenna TV or other OTA subchannels ?

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 77 Old 01-12-2014, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by borntocoast View Post

What Newton Minow called a "Vast Wasteland" in 1960 is PARADISE compared to what's laughingly called "Programming" in this day and age. mad.gif

Really? Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1960%E2%80%9361_United_States_network_television_schedule
Which of these programs would you watch now? And how many are still available on networks like Cozy, Antenna TV or other OTA subchannels ?

Quite a few, and 1960-61 was not exactly the high point of OTA programming.

I think 1964-1965 and 1974-1975 were better, for example. But the point is that, although there were plenty of shows that were hokey and silly, at least they did not deliberately try to insult our intelligence and corrupt our manners. There was also more diversity in programming: news, documentaries, game shows, soap operas, sports, and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

I think they're bluffing, personally, and anticipate Congress getting involved if Aereo wins and they try to do it. Especially if it involves the Sunday NFL broadcasts.

CBS Corporation and FOX may not care about any of the affiliates other than their O&O stations.

Eventually CBS and FOX could tell the small market affiliates that they will not get as much programming from the network because the network prefers to sell the programming (the shows where the network itself is party to the production) directly to cable and satellite systems (or to NetFlix, Hulu Plus, or any other buyer).

post #63 of 77 Old 01-14-2014, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post

You can get far more than lifeline cable for reasonable prices. I just told you my situation, yet you choose not to bring it up. I guess people are right about you.

I'm not sure what pay tv provider you have of if you are still in the new customer period. Cox Cable in my area charges $75 a month for just channels 2-70 in standard definition. No DVR, HD, or the NFL Network. Add those and the price jumps up to $100 a month. Bundling with them just adds to the price.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
post #64 of 77 Old 01-14-2014, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post

Those channels and MeTV are about the only channels on the air that have decent programming.

post #65 of 77 Old 01-14-2014, 09:06 PM

Liked: 10
Cut the cable 6 months ago and will never, repeat never, go back to that sorry excuse called cable TV.

Instead of watching sports I now have more time to work out ... I've dropped 17 lbs in 6 months. What's the cost savings for better health? You tell me.

I find it ironic that one of the banner adds on this forum promotes stopping diabetes. They've come to the right place.
post #66 of 77 Old 01-15-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 228
The average cable bill in the U.S. is $62 per month, or $744 per year. Some pay less, some pay considerably more. The cost increases yearly like clockwork and now that net neutrality has been shot down........
post #67 of 77 Old 01-15-2014, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The average cell phone bill is 71 bucks in this country..... Cable is more important to me, so i have no personal cell phone anymore and I my landline is only 20 bucks bundled with my cable. So if people are cutting the cable because of money, you will save more if you cut your cell phone.
Nayan likes this.
post #68 of 77 Old 01-15-2014, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the OP could suspend his service for the times of year that whatever sports he likes is out of season. You can suspend your DirecTV service for up to 6 months a year. Also if the OP calls to cancel, DirecTV will more than likely give him monthly discounts to stay. I was going to cut the cord but DirecTV bribed me to stay and now I pay a combined $128 a month to CenturyLink for a landline phone with unlimited long distance, 15M internet and DirecTV's entertainment package with an HD DVR.
post #69 of 77 Old 01-15-2014, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^^ that's not bad but it's still $1,536.00 per year unless CenturyLink has locked in your rate for a couple of years. I pay $52.00 per month (including taxes) for a combined landline ( voice, not VoIP) and a sustained 20Mbps internet connection. Unlimited long distance, call forwarding, etc. We get about 45 stations OTA, the important ones we watch are HD with no issues at all and better pq overall than most pay-tv services. $8 per month for Netflix rounds out the monthly bill.
post #70 of 77 Old 01-15-2014, 12:21 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Master View Post

You can get the lifeline cable with the OTA channels for $20 a month. So you are right.

Not from my cable company. Digital only and it starts at 45 a month for 12 months. Plus fees and taxes.
post #71 of 77 Old 01-15-2014, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post

Cut the cable 6 months ago and will never, repeat never, go back to that sorry excuse called cable TV.

Instead of watching sports I now have more time to work out ... I've dropped 17 lbs in 6 months. What's the cost savings for better health? You tell me.......

Great example of someone who has values other than a buttload of TV channels. Too bad I'm not one of them. frown.gif

post #72 of 77 Old 01-15-2014, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^ no values or a buttload of tv channels wink.gif
post #73 of 77 Old 01-15-2014, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post

Instead of watching sports I now have more time to work out ... I've dropped 17 lbs in 6 months. What's the cost savings for better health? You tell me.

I find it ironic that one of the banner adds on this forum promotes stopping diabetes. They've come to the right place.

Sounds good. I need to exercise more. But since I cut the cord I turned to OTA, Home Video, internet surfing, and video games.

post #74 of 77 Old 01-16-2014, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

I pay $52.00 per month (including taxes) for a combined landline ( voice, not VoIP) and a sustained 20Mbps internet connection. Unlimited long distance, call forwarding, etc. We get about 45 stations OTA, the important ones we watch are HD with no issues at all and better pq overall than most pay-tv services. $8 per month for Netflix rounds out the monthly bill.

Is that with CenturyLink or someone else? I was getting charged $80 a month for the package you describe as paying $52 a month before I started bundling DirecTV. Maybe I need to start hassling CenturyLink.
post #75 of 77 Old 01-16-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokar View Post

Is that with CenturyLink or someone else? I was getting charged $80 a month for the package you describe as paying $52 a month before I started bundling DirecTV. Maybe I need to start hassling CenturyLink.

No. My ISP is Sonic.net, which is one of the few remaining independent ISPs around. They took over the AT&T copper line and rolled that into my monthly DSL cost (and I was able to keep all of the AT&T landline features that I had before). This is separate from out mobile account. We still pay for our kid's cell phones because we have a really nice legacy deal with AT&T for 5 phones. Sonic does have a bundle deal with DirecTV for about the same cost but there are tiers that will cost more depending on the package.
post #76 of 77 Old 01-16-2014, 10:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

^^^^ no values or a buttload of tv channels wink.gif

Hey! I got both! No values AND a buttload of channels!
I'm livin' the dream!
Nayan likes this.

post #77 of 77 Old 01-17-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^^^ biggrin.gif
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List