I want to cut the cable.....but what about sports?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 77 Old 01-09-2014, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We are having a baby and I am looking at cutting costs anywhere I can.....and satellite tv ( I have Direct TV ) is one of the ways.

My only problem is sports, I know I can get local channels in HD with an antenna. But that doesn't solve the sports problem, for instance the BCS championship game was on ESPN, most rounds of the NBA playoffs are on cable. Is there a trick or any other ways to get the sports I want without cable? Is there something you guys know about that I don't?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 Old 01-09-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JtoThaMtoThaP View Post

We are having a baby and I am looking at cutting costs anywhere I can.....and satellite tv ( I have Direct TV ) is one of the ways.

My only problem is sports, I know I can get local channels in HD with an antenna. But that doesn't solve the sports problem, for instance the BCS championship game was on ESPN, most rounds of the NBA playoffs are on cable. Is there a trick or any other ways to get the sports I want without cable? Is there something you guys know about that I don't?

Depends on where you live and what sports you want to watch.

In Minnesota all local Twins, Wild and Wolves games are on pay-TV (cable/sat) except any "game of the weeks" on a national OTA channel (very few or none).
post #3 of 77 Old 01-09-2014, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102 View Post

Depends on where you live and what sports you want to watch.

In Minnesota all local Twins, Wild and Wolves games are on pay-TV (cable/sat) except any "game of the weeks" on a national OTA channel (very few or none).

I live in SLC, Utah.....Utah Jazz games are on cable/sat only and with how bad they suck there will be no national tv games for them lol.....but mainly I watch NBA and the NBA playoffs and usually they are on pay tv until the finals. I also watch NFL and college football, and like I said the BCS game was on ESPN and I would have missed one of the best championship games in history if I didn't have satellite.
post #4 of 77 Old 01-09-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 273
This is where you are forced to make a choice. Either give up some, if not most, of your sports or continue to bend over and take it from the pay-tv providers. You can opt for certain sports subscriptions online and then stream that to your tv but you still have to pay. I was going to do that for MLB until I read the fine print for the blackout restrictions and calculated that the games I could watch for my home team (which were very few when on cable only) was not worth the cost. You can probably thank major/college sports and the pay-tv providers for cozying up together and forcing the sports fans to pay for what they used to get free (OTA).
post #5 of 77 Old 01-09-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 179
I love sports and all of my teams are local, so even if I bought the streaming packages I couldn't watch them. That's a big reason why I haven't cut the cord. Otto is right though, either you give up almost all of them or keep your cable/sat.

I act my age sometimes. Sometimes ;). Crap I say
post #6 of 77 Old 01-09-2014, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
You can do what I do. If there is a Game I desire to watch and it's only available on Pay TV do what I do. Where I live (Port Orange, Florida) there is a Sports Pub that's within walking distance of my house, so I go there to watch something I can't watch for free. An 7.00 glass of Beer is CONSIDERABLY cheaper than a $139.00 a month Subscription. biggrin.gif
post #7 of 77 Old 01-09-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by borntocoast View Post

You can do what I do. If there is a Game I desire to watch and it's only available on Pay TV do what I do. Where I live (Port Orange, Florida) there is a Sports Pub that's within walking distance of my house, so I go there to watch something I can't watch for free. An 7.00 glass of Beer is CONSIDERABLY cheaper than a $139.00 a month Subscription. biggrin.gif
Yeah, that will make him really popular with the wife:

"Honey, I'm going out for a beer and to watch the game. Have fun watching the kid..." rolleyes.gif
Nayan likes this.
post #8 of 77 Old 01-09-2014, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by borntocoast View Post

I thought about that but then I factored in the drinks and the angry wife lol
post #9 of 77 Old 01-09-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Espn3 if your internet allows it...can get a good bit that way.

Peachtree City Golf Cart Rider
post #10 of 77 Old 01-09-2014, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonoughDawg View Post

Espn3 if your internet allows it...can get a good bit that way.

I have Comcast....I will look in to that.
post #11 of 77 Old 01-09-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 32
sports is the big sticking point for a lot of people. it certainly is with me. especially the golf channel. if i could pay $30 a month for the golf channel and another $30 a month for the espn channels during football season, i would do it in an instant.
post #12 of 77 Old 01-09-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

"Honey, I'm going out for a beer and to watch the game. Have fun watching the kid..." rolleyes.gif

All of our kids are gone now and I think the wife likes me out of house every now and then so the Sports Bar works just fine for me when it's a must-see game. However, if it's baseball, my wife has the car keys and is all ready to go biggrin.gif.
post #13 of 77 Old 01-09-2014, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

My mom is always wanting me to go to Buffalo Wild Wings with her. They have a lot of delicious meals for $10 each. We watched the Bama vs LSU national championship game there on four 80 inch screens.

Being a football fan means I don't watch the other sports for the other 8 months of the year. I save $100 a month, $1,200 a year, and I've saved $6,000 over the last 5 years since I cut the cord. I don't think the NBA is worth spending that kind of money on. And if you pay it, your are telling them its OK to charge so much and it will convince them to raise the price up more.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
post #14 of 77 Old 01-09-2014, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post

and another $30 a month for the espn channels during football season, i would do it in an instant.

You will be soon at they rate they are jacking up the price of their channel. They need to pay for the rights to the sporting events they bought off of free OTA TV.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
post #15 of 77 Old 01-09-2014, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Master View Post

You will be soon at they rate they are jacking up the price of their channel. They need to pay for the rights to the sporting events they bought off of free OTA TV.
I think you missed my point
post #16 of 77 Old 01-09-2014, 05:31 PM

I don't understand why anyone would want to get rid of cable- ever since I've had it, it's been great having so many channels and I could never let any of them go! It's not just the sports channels either, I really love almost all of them!
post #17 of 77 Old 01-09-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^ rolleyes.gif
post #18 of 77 Old 01-09-2014, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVWatcher2 View Post

I don't understand why anyone would want to get rid of cable- ever since I've had it, it's been great having so many channels and I could never let any of them go! It's not just the sports channels either, I really love almost all of them!

Most of the channels are garbage ( to me ) and I can get almost all the shows I like with services like Netflix, Hulu + and Amazon Prime.....even if you add those 3 services it's a savings of over $100 a month.
post #19 of 77 Old 01-09-2014, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

It's cheaper for me to actually have cable. I hate bundling, but if I kill the cable my internet will cost just as much as I am paying now. No other game in town, so I pretty much get cable for free.
slowbiscuit likes this.

post #20 of 77 Old 01-09-2014, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVWatcher2 View Post

It's like anything else you pay for. It's worth it to you or not. You have the expendable income or you don't. The OP is trying to save money with a child on the way. Continuing to pay for DTV is gonna put him in much worse shape with his wife than an occasional trip to a sports bar.
Does the OP have no buddies with cable/satellite?

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
post #21 of 77 Old 01-10-2014, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post

It's cheaper for me to actually have cable. I hate bundling, but if I kill the cable my internet will cost just as much as I am paying now. No other game in town, so I pretty much get cable for free.

The cord cutters here always conveniently ignore that fact - with my bundle I'm paying less than $40/mo. for all of the cable channels, if you go by the list price for Comcast HSI here. It's not like it's a huge savings if you drop cable because of the savings in their double play package.
post #22 of 77 Old 01-10-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post

sports is the big sticking point for a lot of people. it certainly is with me. especially the golf channel. if i could pay $30 a month for the golf channel and another $30 a month for the espn channels during football season, i would do it in an instant.

Same here, live sports is the reason I'm still paying for FiOS. And they have the 10-15 channels I do watch on multiple tiers, so I end up paying around $100/mo including internet. mad.gif
post #23 of 77 Old 01-10-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

The cord cutters here always conveniently ignore that fact - with my bundle I'm paying less than $40/mo. for all of the cable channels, if you go by the list price for Comcast HSI here. It's not like it's a huge savings if you drop cable because of the savings in their double play package.

That could be service area dependent. I pay $52 per month (including taxes) for my internet service (20Mbps DSL sustained) which also includes my old AT&T landline with all the services I had before my ISP (Sonic) took over the copper. Have never had a price increase for our internet service. OTA for us is dead-on-balls perfect with no weather related issues at all (we're going on 30 years with OTA only). $8 per month for Netflix and that's it. And, pq usually beats Comcast hands down. What we can't get via OTA we either stream thru the AppleTV, the Panansonic blu-ray player, or the laptop.
AnthemAZ.HDTV likes this.
post #24 of 77 Old 01-10-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Sure, but just saying that cable prices are wildly exaggerated by a few here if you ignore bundle deals.
post #25 of 77 Old 01-10-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23

Everything it always a value proposition and what may be worth it to one is not to someone else.

For me, cut the cord a couple years ago and have never looked back.  HD OTA takes care of 80% of what we watch (list out your shows, it's probably similar) for free.  $8/mo to Netflix takes care of most cable shows.  Sure they are 6-12 months behind when they are broadcast but I'm not paying $80/mo just to see something "right now!"  We also sub $10/mo to Netflix DVD/BR for movies and the occasional show that refuses to stream (I'm looking at you TNT network).  So all in all we pay $18/mo vs. 80-100.

Sports...yea I love football and some baseball.  If there is a game I'll miss I'll hit the bar with some buddies (which I do anyway) and there are "other" ways to get sports which aren't allowed to be talked about here.

Scott
post #26 of 77 Old 01-10-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^ agreed. I think the point is that for a lot of people, bundled deals are ok but if your service goes down for any length of time, you may lose more than just your tv. Besides, pay-tv providers are notorious for raising rates, poor support, inconsistent pq, scrambling channels, etc. Some regions may be better than others but I think it's safe to say that more and more people are becoming increasingly dissatisfied with pay-tv and are looking for viable alternatives, mostly because of cost. And the response from the pay-tv industry is to make exclusive deals with networks, streaming providers, etc. by offering them deep pocket deals that are hard to turn down which essentially attempts to make OTA seem less-than-desireable. If you want to pay to have all your eggs in one basket and basically be at the mercy of Comcast or whoever, that's fine. It works for you, but a lot of people are waking up and saying enough is enough.
post #27 of 77 Old 01-10-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

As far as bundling goes, only you can decide if it's right for you or not. For me, it works very well price-wise as I have a higher tier of internet (I need the bandwidth) and pay hardly anything for my channels. If I could get the same internet speed with no caps as I have now for cheaper without cable I would have cut the cord long ago. For some, cord-cutting works and for others it doesn't. For the OP, I would suggest a trial run (OTA and streaming) before pulling the plug to see if it's something they can live with.

post #28 of 77 Old 01-10-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post

As far as bundling goes, only you can decide if it's right for you or not. For me, it works very well price-wise as I have a higher tier of internet (I need the bandwidth) and pay hardly anything for my channels. If I could get the same internet speed with no caps as I have now for cheaper without cable I would have cut the cord long ago. For some, cord-cutting works and for others it doesn't. For the OP, I would suggest a trial run (OTA and streaming) before pulling the plug to see if it's something they can live with.

Certainly in your case and many others there is no reason at all to cut the cord.  If you can get the channels for free or what would be the cost of Netflix, then why cut the cord when you aren't going to save any money?  If I could get cable channels on top of my Internet for just $10 a month or even $20 I would.  But my cable provider options don't bundle like that so Internet is the same cost with or without TV channels.  Thus I save a ton to cut the cord.  But I'd keep the cord if it were cheap like it is for you and some others.

Scott
post #29 of 77 Old 01-10-2014, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 441
I know this could only take place in a universe far, far away, but it would be great if you could have a satellite/cable system similar to Netflix, Amazon, etc., etc., where you would have all of the available channels (create your favorite list as well) at your disposal, then select the channel/channels you want, the duration, and only pay for that. Go away on vacation and you wouldn't incur any expense. Like I said: far, far away. biggrin.gif

Like others, my main reason for having satellite is to have access to all of the sporting events I like. The old standbys like Discovery, Nat Geo, TLC, and a few others, have fallen into a cesspool and can’t get out. I have 23 channels in my regular favorite list (not counting OTA) and there are only 10 that I have any real interest in, and too often many of those have nothing of interest to me. I have 9 channels in my sports favorite list. My D* bill is reduced because I switched to them last year, so my 19 channels of interest currently cost me $2.95 per channel, every month. For me to have access to 200+ channels and only have 19 of interest is not a good deal. Fortunately for me, it’s a deal I can afford to make. Life without access to satellite sports would leave a great void. Can’t do it. No way.
post #30 of 77 Old 01-10-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

I know this could only take place in a universe far, far away, but it would be great if you could have a satellite/cable system similar to Netflix, Amazon, etc., etc., where you would have all of the available channels (create your favorite list as well) at your disposal, then select the channel/channels you want, the duration, and only pay for that. Go away on vacation and you wouldn't incur any expense. Like I said: far, far away. biggrin.gif

Like others, my main reason for having satellite is to have access to all of the sporting events I like. The old standbys like Discovery, Nat Geo, TLC, and a few others, have fallen into a cesspool and can’t get out. I have 23 channels in my regular favorite list (not counting OTA) and there are only 10 that I have any real interest in, and too often many of those have nothing of interest to me. I have 9 channels in my sports favorite list. My D* bill is reduced because I switched to them last year, so my 19 channels of interest currently cost me $2.95 per channel, every month. For me to have access to 200+ channels and only have 19 of interest is not a good deal. Fortunately for me, it’s a deal I can afford to make. Life without access to satellite sports would leave a great void. Can’t do it. No way.
I totally agree. I'm not a sports "nut" who will watch anything, but there are some games/conferences/events I would absolutely hate to do without and many of them are on cable. So, for me at least, I'd go into withdrawal without the ESPN family, BTN (Big Ten Network), etc.

I don't go to sports bars (too crowded, noisy, and I don't drink anyway... not that there is anything wrong with that), and I don't smoke, gamble, or play golf. My only real "vice" is entertainment of all kinds, not just TV and certainly not just sports on TV, but my wife and I also occasionally enjoy attending movies, concerts, and plays.

So, until the day comes that I can economically "pick and choose" my TV favorites in the manner that you described, I'll continue to pay a premium for my top-tier bundled TV, Internet, and phone.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page