American Idol Season 13 (2014) - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 205 Old 03-27-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Thanks a bunch for the original, which I had never heard before. That was definitely bluegrass, we can all agree, and further agree it is much better. CK's was more blues, although I like his take too even if he hasn't the chops to pull it off completely. The percussion box he included was a tip-off, as bluegrass typically has no percussion with the banjo and/or bass laying down the rhythm line.

Our preoccupation with classifying music (me included) is a waste, I think, and often an empediment to accepting the artist's offerings. I wish I could get the urge out of my head.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 205 Old 03-27-2014, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post

Double checked, Adam, Elise Testone and Haley Reinhart all did Zeppelin. Caleb totally killed it and the band was amazing.

Killed it, but in a cover band sort of way.

The films of De Sica, of Welles, of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger made little money and endure as spiritual delights.
--David Mamet
post #93 of 205 Old 03-27-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 377
I thought it was a good night for most of them. Personally I enjoyed Caleb and C.J. the best of the night however, for me Sam was the only one who looked like a current star on the stage. I did not even think he sang spectacularly, but he looked the part which maybe important.
post #94 of 205 Old 03-27-2014, 06:51 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

I thought it was a good night for most of them. Personally I enjoyed Caleb and C.J. the best of the night however, for me Sam was the only one who looked like a current star on the stage. I did not even thing he sang spectacularly, but he looked the part which maybe important.

The song Sam chose is just such a good song. Make anyone look good.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #95 of 205 Old 03-27-2014, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Being a star has everything to do with image. Sam has better than a decent voice which puts him ahead of many a "star." He could get immediate help in the image category with a quick one hour trip to a dentist for a splash of teeth whitening. It would be a "new you." The Teenie screams would be incredible. A personality injection would be helpful as well, but that seems unlikely. He needs a lift.

post #96 of 205 Old 03-27-2014, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm a bit surprised that Caleb was down in the results assuming the saves were in order of the voting. His type singing does not light my fire, but it thought it would appeal to more of the crowd than it seems to, and even though I don't connect to it that well, he seems to be really good in that genre.

post #97 of 205 Old 03-27-2014, 10:51 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Not sad to see Majesty go. Next up is Dexter.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #98 of 205 Old 03-28-2014, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post

I'm a bit surprised that Caleb was down in the results assuming the saves were in order of the voting. His type singing does not light my fire, but it thought it would appeal to more of the crowd than it seems to, and even though I don't connect to it that well, he seems to be really good in that genre.
I don't think you can assume the safe people were announced in order of their vote totals. They didn't say one way or the other.
post #99 of 205 Old 03-28-2014, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I thought this was the best Finalist Show so far. Everyone had a good night, finally! I agree, Dexter has to be the next to go, followed by Sam. I am not sure what happened to him. To me he peaked a few weeks ago. My top 3 are Caleb, Jena and Alex.
WilliamR likes this.
post #100 of 205 Old 03-28-2014, 11:00 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

I just did a little googling on that band I posted. The original singer, not in the band anymore, Chris Stapleton, is apparently a singer song writer that has MANY hits out, by other country singers mainly, but also stuff like Adele. I did some youtubing of this guy, he is seriously amazing. His voice is stellar. This guy puts out good country music. It's too bad current state of country music is so horrible or this guy would be more famous.

Just go to youtube and type in Chris Stapleton, everything I've found is good.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #101 of 205 Old 03-28-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnetop View Post

I thought this was the best Finalist Show so far. Everyone had a good night, finally! I agree, Dexter has to be the next to go, followed by Sam. I am not sure what happened to him. To me he peaked a few weeks ago. My top 3 are Caleb, Jena and Alex.

Agreed, great show, the band should ALWAYS be there on stage.

post #102 of 205 Old 04-03-2014, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

My station (San Antonio) experienced an interruption for the latest Fort Hood shooting on AI last night just long enough to wipe out the entirety of CJ's performance, yet no mention was ever made when the show resumed almost like they did not know. I assume this was a nationwide alert. Is the show live or not? If not, then the segments tracking the "current votes" is all baloney.

How will they confront voting for one contestant not seen?

post #103 of 205 Old 04-03-2014, 06:07 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

I have Dish and there was no interruption.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #104 of 205 Old 04-03-2014, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Hmm, no surprise that the save was used, I actually thought Sam 's performance was the best in several weeks, although he is living on borrowed time.

I like Alex to go all the way, I've liked him this whole competition but his Falling Slowly was his "moment" performance and even he hadn't followed that up. I think my favorites are Alexis, Jenna, Caleb, and Jesse and I can see either a top two with Alexis and Jenna or Jesse, at that point, it matters not.
post #105 of 205 Old 04-03-2014, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

It was a Shepard Smith, Fox News, piece, so maybe the individual stations decided whether to allow the break. I view through Directv, BTW, but the channel is the local San Antonio Fox feed. No matter how many other local stations allowed the break, it seems it did not put CK on the bottom though.

post #106 of 205 Old 04-07-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Idol's ratings have continued to plummet.

Wednesday, April 2 2.1 18-49 rating. Lower than Survivor's 2.3 rating. Sure, this is Idol's thirteenth season. But this is Survivor's 14th year and 28th season. Survivor's ratings have stabilized. Idol's ratings are in a freefall with no end in sight.
Thursday, April 3 1.7 18-49 rating, a series low and 7th place for the night, tied with The Crazy Ones, a show that is presumably already canceled. It would be even lower had Fox kept it in the earlier time slot against TBBT.

Idol already lost AT&T as a sponsor earlier this year, ending a 12 year relationship.

It is time to start talking about cancellation. The show should be renewed for the 2015 season-it still pulls in good ratings during the auditions. Even with another 25-30% drop those ratings will still be respectable. But the rest of the season falls off rapidly, and a continued drop in the ratings is unsustainable.

The ratings are currently still better than the last season of X Factor, but not by a lot. One more season of decline will put Idol in that same ratings area.

They will have to make budgetary cuts in the show as advertiser revenue continues to dwindle. They could dump the high priced judges and Seacrest (depending on the guaranteed money in his contract) and save a nice chunk of money. Not sure where else they can cut back. A lot of reality shows can survive on small ratings because they are cheap to produce (like those Gordon Ramsey shows). Idol obviously is in a different category, and it will be difficult to cut back in other areas without making the ratings decline even worse and basically killing the show.

Not having X Factor on in the fall might help, but with The Voice continuing to be on twice a year, there still will be no lack of singing show hours on in prime time. I believe the dramatic drop in the ratings has less to do with the quality of the show and more with the increased competition and people growing tired of singing shows in general. I am surprised that The Voice has held on as well as it has.
post #107 of 205 Old 04-07-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

They could dump the high priced judges and Seacrest (depending on the guaranteed money in his contract) and save a nice chunk of money.
Not much of a Seacrest fan, but IMHO on X Factor Mario Lopez showed how a bad host can help tank a show. He made the first season's host, Steve Jones, look great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

Not having X Factor on in the fall might help, but with The Voice continuing to be on twice a year, there still will be no lack of singing show hours on in prime time. I believe the dramatic drop in the ratings has less to do with the quality of the show and more with the increased competition and people growing tired of singing shows in general. I am surprised that The Voice has has held on as well as it has.
The Voice is fading too. Last weeks ratings were 3.4/1 in 18-49 and a total 12.28M, down 8 percent from the previous week. Not exactly a juggernaut. It will likely never attain anything near the lofty heights AI once did. I agree, singing competition shows are showing signs of audience fatigue.

The first crack in AI was when DWTS attained a larger total audience. Some members here reacted that 18-49 was still good so it meant nothing. Now not only is the total audience far larger (14.10M vs 8.89M), DWTS in its 18th season now beats the 13th season of AI in 18-49 with 2.3 vs 2.1. And this is with DWTS directly up against The Voice. Funny how this collapse sounds like another of Fox's upcoming reality efforts: BOOM!

AI's production values remain high, but I think it's missing that magical ingredient: What will Paula do or say next?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #108 of 205 Old 04-09-2014, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Alex changed the song in a great way which is what I was hoping Sam would do. As soon as Sam deviated slightly from the tune I was thinking I wish he had done more of that. Alex from the first note on made the song his own.

The other person is C.J. who not only changed the song, but he put in all the heart he has into the song. Give David Cook a gold star for working with C.J. on the arrangement of that song. Contrast that performance with Dexter who continues to produce generic song after generic song. I don't know where the guy went who was singing in the auditions, but he is long gone.

Caleb "I just want to go out there and make old ladies cry" Johnson probably succeeded in his goal tonight. I don't know if he can be relative in today's music scene, however I do think he is the only contestant who believes to his core that he can win American Idol. I thought it was clear in the group round when he came on stage with a mic stand, and it has continued onward.

Jessica seems like she is singing to stay out of the bottom three, and not to win the contest. She seems to be coasting through this competition.

I thought Malaya and Jena were good, but unremarkable.

I hope this week we see Dexter get the boot to prevent another boring generic performance.
post #109 of 205 Old 04-09-2014, 08:54 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

I doubt Dexter will go, because there are so many people that love generic country singers. That's why country sounds so generic right now, people keep buying that crap.

I liked what Sam did. I think someone needs to slip him a couple whiskey shots before stage and he'll loosen right up.

Alex again shines more than anyone else. I am a huge Police fan, but that's probably my least favorite tune because it's so over played. He nearly made it a new song. I hope the voters see what I see. It's unfortunate we get him through AI, because if this guy was discovered by some record company, he could probably be working for them now as a song writer. If he wins, he's going to have these horrible song writers working for AI trying to pump in those failed radio hits. Caleb also out-shined the others.

Sam and Alex are the perfect pairing too, I doubt they will do it again, but they should. If Sam stays.

I liked CJ's song and the arrangement, I just didn't think it fit his voice well. Too stagnant for me.

Jessica should wear more long dresses, or take a year long horse riding sabbatical to fix those knock knees.
I don't think she's singing to stay out of the bottom, she just doesn't have the confidence that she can win, or that she can beat a few of the others. I think she has this self defeating "world is against me" POV.

They were saying Jena felt too rehearsed in her stage movement. I feel that about all of them, every week, except Caleb.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #110 of 205 Old 04-10-2014, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Caleb, Alex and Jena are my favorites. Each one has their own quality. Caleb is the "old school" rocker that is a great performer; Alex the singer-songwriter with a unique sound and Jena, the young "pop rocker" with good range.

Dexter and Sam are still on my bottom 2. With Dexter with my vote to go this week....
post #111 of 205 Old 04-10-2014, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Caleb, Jena, and Alex are my favorites as well with Alex being the frontrunner, I.M.O.. I wish Alex hadn't done Every Breath You Take, I was hoping for something like Soft Cell's Tainted Love with an Alex spin or something akin to what Adam Lambert did with Mad World.
post #112 of 205 Old 04-10-2014, 11:01 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Adam didn't create that arrangement of the song.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #113 of 205 Old 04-10-2014, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

Adam didn't create that arrangement of the song.

Gary Jules

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Jules
post #114 of 205 Old 04-12-2014, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I was not happy with the voting results. mad.gif
post #115 of 205 Old 04-16-2014, 09:47 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

I didn't actually see the last vote results show but I know the results. I'm fine with it.

After tonight's show, my top 3 are Alex, Jena and Caleb. Sam would be there if he could improve faster, but I don't think he's going to stay much longer. CJ would be a close 4th.

Alex and Jena are probably the most talented.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #116 of 205 Old 04-17-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I was all set to say that C.J. and Jessie had the best night, but Jenna stole the show at the end. I would still say C.J. had the second best showing of the night, and I think it had a lot to do with Harry said. It is not enough to sing well you have to pick songs that everyone can sing along with you.

Everyone else was predictable, and did not really do much to advance their cases.
post #117 of 205 Old 04-17-2014, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

I still like Alex but Jena had her "moment" performance last night and of the remaining six, she is the most relevant, current talent. They can turn her into a superstar, I told my wife she is every bit as talented as Lady Gaga...minus the weird biggrin.gif

At this stage I hate that anyone has to go home but my pick for tonight would be Dexter.
post #118 of 205 Old 04-17-2014, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Had Dexter sung his goodbye song when it counted, he might still be a contestant. Jenna has splash, but her voice always sounds like she has a cold to me. I'll pass on her. I think Sam has the best voice of the remaining, but his seemingly laconic demeanor probably puts him early on the upcoming chopping block. With a little make-over and a teeth whitening, he could be made into a teenie girl-killer. His look-alike, Ricky Nelson, made it for years on very similar looks and demeanor without an once of singing (or acting) talent. People liked him anyway.

post #119 of 205 Old 04-24-2014, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I just don't get Alex. His style does not appeal to me in the least, but the judges seem to love him. On the flip side, Jessica is one of my favorites and no matter how well she sings, they always seem to find fault with something.

I do hope the top three are Caleb, Jena, and Jessica. I would be happy if any of them win. The other three (to me) lag far behind.
post #120 of 205 Old 04-24-2014, 09:37 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

I haven't watched this week yet. I'm going to guess you're an over 35 individual.

Anyway, I do agree with all the complaints they give to Jess. She seems very awkward on stage. She's used to doing tiny bar gigs, so of course this isn't something she's used to. She's trying change, but Alex on the other hand is sticking to his coffee house style. Plus, he's much more musically creative. There's very few performances of Alex that I have not enjoyed.

Creatively, Jena and Alex are at the top. Performance goes to Caleb.

I can't see Jena not being in the top 3. She's young, talented, makes some pretty good musical choices. Alex, is my favorite of course, but I can see how it may not be everyone's taste. Same with Caleb and Jess.

I don't know how someone would go about getting a job as a songwriter, but Alex should be doing that.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page