American Idol Season 13 (2014) - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 205 Old 05-15-2014, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 378
And back to the part where we talk about the singing...

I think Alex's Stay was almost the best performance of the night I still think there is a disconnect with him and the emotion of the songs he is singing. I wonder if he is one of those singers that needs to sing his own songs before everything clicks.

Disconnect is not a criticism you could ever throw at Caleb. He threw everything he had at Dazed and Confused.

Jeana once again did a great job with Creep. Her other two performances did not raise the bar to that level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 205 Old 05-15-2014, 05:44 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Harry was right, who doesn't like story of my life. This show is the first time I've ever heard a one d song, even though I have a niece who's in love with them.

Caleb slamming the mic stand was pretty cool. Perfectly in time with the band too.

I think Alex might actually go, if you vote on last nights 3 songs. His songs just weren't on par with the others. Stay was a good song, I've never heard the original so I can't compare it. Story of my life doesn't compare to the other 2 contestants repeat songs.

Honestly all 3 of these guys deserve to win, it's a matter of personal taste who you might think is better. They are 3 completely different styles.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #183 of 205 Old 05-15-2014, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Was Alex' farewell song one he wrote? I don't think anyone mentioned the name. For me, it was his best performance I can remember. Sorry to see him go and Jena stay. I am backing Caleb because he is just fun.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #184 of 205 Old 05-16-2014, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Gotta say this is the best final 2 this show has ever had (in my opinion). Can't wait for the final episode.

post #185 of 205 Old 05-16-2014, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

I post about year to year ratings, which I said in the previous post, but you conveniently ignored. This whole argument is about what I have written, and yet you like to put your spin on things without quoting my actual words. Year to year both weeks that you posted about were down from the year before. Guess what, next week will be up too, compared to this week, because more viewers tune in at the end of the season. The ratings for a season almost always follow the same trajectory week to week-high for the audition weeks, with a gradual fall in the ratings until the end when the ratings go back up. Take a look at the ratings for last night-every show was even or up compared to the week before, as more people are tuning in for the conclusion of the broadcast season. That is why you have to look at year to year ratings to figure out what is really going on. Here are relevant numbers-
April 17, 2013-3.4
April 23, 2014-2.1 (down 38% from previous year)-

May 8th, 2013-2.9
May 14th 2014-2.1 (down 28% from previous year)

I used May 8th as a comparable because the following week in 2013 was the finals week, as this year Idol is running a week later on the calendar, for whatever reason. By the way, the finals week for 2013 scored a 3.0 Wednesday and a 3.6 Thursday. Those will be the important numbers to keep in mind when next week's ratings are revealed.

This post from you is about year to year ratings?

"Idol's ratings have continued to plummet.

Wednesday, April 2 2.1 18-49 rating. Lower than Survivor's 2.3 rating. Sure, this is Idol's thirteenth season. But this is Survivor's 14th year and 28th season. Survivor's ratings have stabilized. Idol's ratings are in a freefall with no end in sight."

post #186 of 205 Old 05-16-2014, 08:57 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post

Was Alex' farewell song one he wrote? I don't think anyone mentioned the name. For me, it was his best performance I can remember. Sorry to see him go and Jena stay. I am backing Caleb because he is just fun.

Yeah that was the same original he sang in the audition and once before on the show.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #187 of 205 Old 05-16-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

This post from you is about year to year ratings?

"Idol's ratings have continued to plummet.

Wednesday, April 2 2.1 18-49 rating. Lower than Survivor's 2.3 rating. Sure, this is Idol's thirteenth season. But this is Survivor's 14th year and 28th season. Survivor's ratings have stabilized. Idol's ratings are in a freefall with no end in sight."
They are a comparison with another show, not with the previous week. I could have also listed the year to year numbers for each show, but figured the meaning behind the numbers was obvious. To further illustrate that point with year to year ratings-

Idol-March 27th, 2013-3.2
Idol-April 2nd, 2014-2.1 Falling 34% from previous year.

Survivor-March 27th, 2013-2.5
Survivor-April 2nd, 2014-2.3 Falling 08% from previous year.

So again, Survivor has managed to stabilize its numbers to the point that it might last many more seasons. Idol has not.

The ratings comparisons with other shows are also useful for pointing out the revenue that Idol generates. Idol obviously can no longer demand the premium rates it did in the past, and it has reached a point where budget cuts are going to continue to be made in the show if they want to maximize profits, as we have seen in the past with other shows that no longer have the viewership they once had and actors suddenly disappear because they refuse to take a cut in pay (Cuddy on House, Meloni on SVU). It could be that they already saved money when they axed Nigel and Iovine left. And Randy Jackson probably took a pay cut for his diminished role on the show. It's hard to say whether the current group of judges makes a lot less than the Mariah Carey group, though it is likely that Carey made more than Lopez.
post #188 of 205 Old 05-19-2014, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I think Alex's big mistake that might have cost him making the final was admitting he had a gf on television. It seemed like the air came out of the bubble with the audience when he said that the other week.
post #189 of 205 Old 05-21-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

The ratings comparisons with other shows are also useful for pointing out the revenue that Idol generates.
Idol obviously can no longer demand the premium rates it did in the past

Net - Show: 18-49 Rating / 18-49 Share / Viewers Live+SD

8:00PM
NBC - The Voice Recap - 1.9: / 7 / 7.41 million
FOX - American Idol: 1.7 / 6 / 6.61 million
ABC - Dancing with the Stars Recap: 1.6 / 6 / 11.43 million
CBS - Judge Judy Primetime: 0.9 / 3 / 5.66 million
CW - Supernatural (R): 0.5 / 2 / 1.20 million

9:00PM
NBC - The Voice (9-11PM): 3.3 / 10 / 11.57 million
ABC - Dancing with the Stars (9-11PM): 2.4 / 7 / 14.86 million
CW - Supernatural: 1.1 / 3 / 2.28 million
CBS - ACM Presents: An All Star Salute to the Troops (9-11PM): 0.9 / 3 / 4.45 million
FOX - I Wanna Marry Harry (P): 0.7 / 2 / 2.05 million

AI with only 6.6 million total viewers, and beat by the taped recaps on total viewers by both The Voice & DWTS. AI couldn’t even win in 18-49! The Voice and DWTS live shows head-to-head both blew away AI. This is getting close to the numbers X Factor had when it was cancelled. With the even poorer showing at 9p, I hope there are nets outside the windows at FOX. Bad night for CBS too when CW beats it in 18-49.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #190 of 205 Old 05-21-2014, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
How pathetic is that? Finale beat by two recap shows? Time to pull the plug, it's been a good run.
post #191 of 205 Old 05-21-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought Gena had a slightly better night. I thought her second song was really beautiful. I am not sure who comes out on top, but I prefer Gena overall.
post #192 of 205 Old 05-21-2014, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 56
[quote name="mylan" url="/t/1512502/american-idol-season-13-2014/120#post_24643330

Jena has just about run away with this though. That edge in her voice served her well singing Ann Wilson. I too wished she had not held back but there is no pleasing the judges, if she had of they probably would have told her she over sang it.win or lose she is going to be big. She could front a band right now, something like Hayley Williams from Paramore.[/quote]

Like I said earlier...this so far has been the best performance of the night. Jena held her own no doubt.
post #193 of 205 Old 05-22-2014, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Unbelievable, the person we were rooting for from nearly the beginning actually won. That doesn't happen to often. Good job Caleb, you deserve it, now just release songs that are better then that first one they played.

post #194 of 205 Old 05-22-2014, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post

How pathetic is that? Finale beat by two recap shows? Time to pull the plug, it's been a good run.

To late, it is already coming back.

post #195 of 205 Old 05-22-2014, 06:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 191

My take is the finale (results show) was done nicely. Overall a very fun spirit and entertaining for the most part.

| 
|
|
|
post #196 of 205 Old 05-22-2014, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

I thought Gena had a slightly better night. I thought her second song was really beautiful. I am not sure who comes out on top, but I prefer Gena overall.
Jena.
post #197 of 205 Old 05-22-2014, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

This must have been a relief for FOX - they won the night even against the Survivor finale in 18-49 and total:

FOX - American Idol (8-10PM): 2.6 / 9 / 10.53 million
CBS - Survivor (8-10PM): 2.6 / 8 / 9.58 million
ABC - The Middle (8-9PM): 2.1 / 7 / 7.85 million
NBC - Revolution (Series Finale): / 1.1 / 4 / 4.13 million

It should be interesting to see the retooling on the 2015 season.

post #198 of 205 Old 05-22-2014, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Good wrap up show. It did seem like naming the winner became kind of an after thought at the end.
post #199 of 205 Old 05-23-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post

This must have been a relief for FOX - they won the night even against the Survivor finale in 18-49 and total:

FOX - American Idol (8-10PM): 2.6 / 9 / 10.53 million
CBS - Survivor (8-10PM): 2.6 / 8 / 9.58 million
ABC - The Middle (8-9PM): 2.1 / 7 / 7.85 million
NBC - Revolution (Series Finale): / 1.1 / 4 / 4.13 million

It should be interesting to see the retooling on the 2015 season.

More numbers to put the above numbers in context-
Here are this week's Idol numbers, compared to last year's finals week:

2013 Performance Show-3.0
2014 Performance Show-1.7 down 43%

2013 Results Show-3.6
2014 Results Show-2.6 down 28%

That is a HORRIFIC number for the 2014 Performance show. It is a perplexing number too, as the previous week's performance show scored a 2.1. So there was a .4 drop for that last performance show. What happened? People didn't realize it was on Tuesday instead of the normal Wednesday? Alex fans refused to watch after he was eliminated? Too much competition from the clip shows and Judge Judy?. The show was advertised-I heard a promo on the radio, and banner ads were around. The best explanation I can come up with is that the show was in the earlier hour, where higher ratings can be hard to come by during the warmer weather.

The Results show being down 28% is seen by some as an ok number, which says a lot about how this season has gone, both for Idol and Fox. But the performance show is the far more important number, as it indicates the (relatively) small number of people who actually care about the competition upon which Idol is based. Fox has already announced the elimination of the results show, but I won't be surprised if Fox adds even more audition hours, while subtracting even more hours from the regular competition. That is what I would do anyway.

The Voice also saw a sizable drop in its numbers, which isn't very surprising considering NBC insists on two seasons a year for the show. I think they are lucky to still have numbers as high as they are.
post #200 of 205 Old 05-24-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I suspect the move to Tuesday was a bigger factor for the huge viewership loss as the recap shows had nothing to do with announcing the winners. Considering Fox's poor Thursday performance, especially with the competition mostly in reruns, the move seems odd and disastrous.

post #201 of 205 Old 05-24-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I suspect the move to Tuesday was a bigger factor for the huge viewership loss as the recap shows had nothing to do with announcing the winners. Considering Fox's poor Thursday performance, especially with the competition mostly in reruns, the move seems odd and disastrous.
Beginning in 2011, Idol has been broadcast on Wednesday (Perfomance) and Thursday (Results). In all four years, the Final Performance show has moved to Tuesday, with the Season Finale on Wednesday. So this switch to Tuesday during the last week should also have negatively affected the ratings for 2011, 2012, and 2013. Thus it's really a wash and unlikely to be the reason.
See the following link for a big ratings chart that details what I am talking about-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Idol#Television_ratings
post #202 of 205 Old 05-24-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 191
Quote:

Considering Fox's poor Thursday performance, especially with the competition mostly in reruns, the move seems odd and disastrous.

It was switched to be in the Spring's Sweeps which ended 21th May.

| 
|
|
|
post #203 of 205 Old 05-26-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

It was switched to be in the Spring's Sweeps which ended 21th May.
That makes sense and explains all the reruns on Thursday. And since the previous three years were also moved a day up, it doesn't fully explain this year's dismal finale performance show's ratings. It's hard to quantify the effectiveness of the promotion year-to-year. Perhaps its just the inevitable tiring of a genre.

That wouldn't seem to bode well for ABC's upcoming summer effort Rising Star, even with its instant voting which remains a mystery across four time zones. The producer said "We've addressed it. Let me put it that way. We've come up with a solution … The West Coast will have a live vote, and so will the East Coast". From what I've read the details won't be revealed ahead of time because they're afraid competitors might steal it. Sounds like the Mountain time zone gets no love.

post #204 of 205 Old 05-29-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

May 12, 2014-Fox's Broadcast Chairman Kevin Reilly, says "we believe [Idol] will be on the air for many years to come."

May 29, 2014-Fox's Broadcast Chairman Kevin Reilly is axed.
post #205 of 205 Old 06-01-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

May 29, 2014-Fox's Broadcast Chairman Kevin Reilly is axed.
Is Ben Silverman available?

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page