American Idol Season 13 (2014) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 205 Old 01-17-2014, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Since nobody seems to have started this thread yet, I'll give it a shot. I've watched the first two nights (four hours total) of the preliminary rounds and must admit I like what I've seen so far. Keith Urban, Jennifer Lopez, and Harry Connick, Jr. appear to work really well together. However, like some members feared in the Season 12 thread, Connick is not nearly as well known among the contestants as the other two. He also seems to be much more critical, and I have found myself not agreeing with some of the "no" votes he has cast. That said, this season is already miles ahead of last year, both from an overall talent viewpoint and although the format is basically the same, I like that they are focusing on the "real" singers and not so much on the idiots who think they can sing or just want to be on TV.

As a bit of Hoosier pride, I loved it that the first person on the show was 17-year-old high school student Marialle Sellers from Indianapolis AND that she made such a positive impression on all three judges. She was interviewed on the local Fox affiliate the day after her appearance and seems like a very remarkable young lady.

I think American Idol may get a bit of its mojo back this season. I'm in. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 205 Old 01-17-2014, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I found it watchable for the first time in several years and Connick jr. is the reason why. He's the first knowledgable, articulate, honest, no drama judge they've had since, well, ever.
BoilerJim likes this.
post #3 of 205 Old 01-17-2014, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 367
I like when American Idol leads with its best foot forward. They can always put on 20 or 30 good/great singers in any season to start off the show. It seems like they decided to do that this year. I don't really care about the judges in any season and this one hasn't changed I did say I thought Harry would make a good judge a couple of years ago when he was mentoring. I did love moment Harry cradled that kid at the end of the first episode.

I thought last season had the strongest end group of singers they had in years so for me there is a lot to live up to for this season.
post #4 of 205 Old 01-18-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 48
A question I have had for years: how many stages of audition do the contestants go through before one gets passed on to the final three judges? Obviously, the three celebrities could not audition even a considerable portion of the hundreds of thousands of wantabees.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #5 of 205 Old 01-20-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post

A question I have had for years: how many stages of audition do the contestants go through before one gets passed on to the final three judges? Obviously, the three celebrities could not audition even a considerable portion of the hundreds of thousands of wantabees.
This is the best version I have read from a student (Andrew Cerino) who made it to the celebrity auditions in 2012 in Portland.

http://archives.advocate-online.net/Archives/archives20112012/11412/LA_AmericanIdol.php

The summary: Three days of competition stretching over several months;

First day (July): Sang in groups of 4 in front of 10 producers for only 10-15 seconds.

Second day (September): 200 to 300 made it this far. First round just 10-15 seconds in front of a panel of producers. Told yes or no immediately. Second round in front of the Executive Producer with TV cameras in a setup similar to what is shown on TV.

Final day (November): The audition in front of the celebrity judges. Only 50-70 made it that far.
post #6 of 205 Old 01-24-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
So far I am enjoying this phase of the show better than in years past. They are definitely showing more of the performances of the singers who get a Golden Ticket and far fewer of the terrible singers. The judging panel has great chemistry and the addition of Harry Connick Jr. really works.
post #7 of 205 Old 01-24-2014, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
The ratings are following the downward trend for Fox singing shows. The numbers might not be disastrous, considering that the show is probably still profitable at this level, but considering the changes that were implemented (Nigel fired, two "new" judges), this has to be seen as another disappointment for Fox.

01/16/2013-6.0 (Premiere)
01/15/2014-4.7 (Premiere)

01/17/2013-5.6
01/16/2014-3.9

01/23/2013-5.5
01/22/2014-4.0

01/24/2013-5.2
01/23/2014-3.3

That comparison between 2013 and 2014 for the second Thursday numbers is especially alarming. A 37% drop, and that is against repeats on CBS. Looks like the change in regimes and judges has been a failure, assuming that the numbers for 2014 continue to follow the downward trend that was exhibited in 2013.
post #8 of 205 Old 01-24-2014, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

I think the changes they've made have really improved the show, maybe nothing they could do would reverse the downward trend in the ratings. I'd hate to think that more people would want to watch a 'train wreck' panel of judges, like they had last year, than the big improvements they've made this year.
post #9 of 205 Old 01-24-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post

This is the best version I have read from a student (Andrew Cerino) who made it to the celebrity auditions in 2012 in Portland.

http://archives.advocate-online.net/Archives/archives20112012/11412/LA_AmericanIdol.php

First day (July): Sang in groups of 4 in front of 10 producers for only 10-15 seconds.

Second day (September): 200 to 300 made it this far. First round just 10-15 seconds in front of a panel of producers. Told yes or no immediately. Second round in front of the Executive Producer with TV cameras in a setup similar to what is shown on TV.

Final day (November): The audition in front of the celebrity judges. Only 50-70 made it that far.

That process described above likely explains why we never saw the previous two years' auditions of Candice Glover for the show during which she failed to impress. I always expected to see the before and after improvement videos, but if there were only brief seconds of audition or no videos of mass auditions, then the explanation of why we saw nothing is understandable.

I am still anxiously awaiting the long delayed album from Glover, which I hope means the producers are taking more time to do right by an artist worthy of developing correctly. Even though last year was otherwise a train wreck of epic proportions, I think it produced the best singer the show ever discovered.

The contrast this year from a judges standpoint is night & day compared with last year's group, which makes the climb back for audience share hard but doable.

post #10 of 205 Old 01-24-2014, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post

A girl who sings for me got to the Hollywood round two years ago and said pretty much the same thing; there are multiple rounds of auditions in front of producers before they ever get in front of the 'judges'. Other interesting things she said: It's much more a TV show than reality competition--the producers are always trying to ramp up the drama, even trying to goad reactions (tears, anger, etc) from contestants, and those with a 'story' are much more likely to advance further. Also, much of what you see is not nearly as spontaneous as I seems. For example, it would appear that a contestant leaves the waiting area, goes right up to the judges, and then immediately comes back to where Seacrest is waiting. In reality, there can be minutes or even hours between these events. In short, there's a lot of 'staging' going on in the name of better television.
post #11 of 205 Old 01-24-2014, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 177

One thing I have noticed is to a large degree they are featuring artists over singers. Which makes sense as this season's mantra is to find the next superstar. 

post #12 of 205 Old 01-24-2014, 08:31 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 175
I have liked it much more since they aren't featuring the train wrecks at this stage. I've already picked 2 standouts.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #13 of 205 Old 01-24-2014, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

I have liked it much more since they aren't featuring the train wrecks at this stage. I've already picked 2 standouts.

No need to be shy. Who are your picks so far?

post #14 of 205 Old 01-25-2014, 09:17 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

I don't know their names. The first one I think was the first show, black kid with long hair and braces, he was tall, had a guitar and played his own song.
The other is the ugly white kid that was on the latest show he had a guitar and played a song I can't remember, something I wasn't familiar with anyway.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #15 of 205 Old 01-25-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Interesting about the steps needed to get to the judges. Gotta wonder what they tell people who really can't sing. Are they making them believe that they are good singers only to have their new hopes crushed by the judges on TV? That's sad.

post #16 of 205 Old 01-25-2014, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

Interesting about the steps needed to get to the judges. Gotta wonder what they tell people who really can't sing. Are they making them believe that they are good singers only to have their new hopes crushed by the judges on TV? That's sad.

It's a TV show and the producers will use up the talent and throw it away in any manner to further their interests alone. What we, the audience, get from it is incidental. All that being as it is, I get enough to keep me tuning in for the three or four memorable moments each season.

I ran across a new word for me which perfectly describes what we feel about those hapless performers thrown into the AI mix for comedic relief, although not as often as in the past: "Fremdschämen"-
It means feeling embarrassed for someone else. But more than that, it means feeling embarrassed for someone else because that someone else doesn’t realize he should be embarrassed.

post #17 of 205 Old 01-25-2014, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandron View Post

A girl who sings for me got to the Hollywood round two years ago and said pretty much the same thing; there are multiple rounds of auditions in front of producers before they ever get in front of the 'judges'. Other interesting things she said: It's much more a TV show than reality competition--the producers are always trying to ramp up the drama, even trying to goad reactions (tears, anger, etc) from contestants, and those with a 'story' are much more likely to advance further. Also, much of what you see is not nearly as spontaneous as I seems. For example, it would appear that a contestant leaves the waiting area, goes right up to the judges, and then immediately comes back to where Seacrest is waiting. In reality, there can be minutes or even hours between these events. In short, there's a lot of 'staging' going on in the name of better television.

I got a FaceBook message from an old high school friend Wednesday afternoon telling me to watch that nights episode. His son Tyler was going to be on ( or so he thought ) and had gotten a golden ticket at the Atlanta auditions. I watched the entire episode and his audition wasn't shown. I suppose A.I. can't show everyone who makes it through but his story is exactly what the producers would have been looking for. His father had a terrible car accident from which he shouldn't have lived but did and has been undergoing extensive rehab for the last three years. In seasons past I am sure his story would have aired but I can only assume that because Idol is trying to cut down on two hour shows due to viewer fatigue is the only reason it didn't. I've certainly seen lesser stories.

He did post a photo of himself with the golden ticket and some of the other contestants so hopefully he'll get some screen time. His name is Tyler Sloan and is presently playing small venues around town.
post #18 of 205 Old 01-30-2014, 02:04 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Last night they passed on someone they had no business passing on.

There was a girl with braces, what sounded like they were using her singing to play over all the crying people. She sounded amazing.

Then they keep that one kid that was horrible, the Ed Sheeran lookalike.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #19 of 205 Old 01-30-2014, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

It could be the editing, but there seems to be a lot of good original song performances this season. It is an interesting change from previous seasons.

With the plethora of people using guitars it points out how hard it is to sing a song with just a voice alone. You have to fill in so many things that are missing in so short of a time period.
post #20 of 205 Old 01-30-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

Last night they passed on someone they had no business passing on.

There was a girl with braces, what sounded like they were using her singing to play over all the crying people. She sounded amazing.

Then they keep that one kid that was horrible, the Ed Sheeran lookalike.

Agreed, the girl-with-braces was arresting prompting my wife to speculate that she was passed over because of the braces, which are not so appealing. She should take her talents to The Voice perhaps where appearances do not count as much. I wonder if there is a provision in the AI standard contract which prevents a cross-over to another competing show?

post #21 of 205 Old 01-30-2014, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post

Agreed, the girl-with-braces was arresting prompting my wife to speculate that she was passed over because of the braces, which are not so appealing. She should take her talents to The Voice perhaps where appearances do not count as much. I wonder if there is a provision in the AI standard contract which prevents a cross-over to another competing show?

I thought the girl was passed over because she didn't sound very confident when she sang. The girl they showed not long after her seemed to be a polished version of what she was.
post #22 of 205 Old 01-30-2014, 03:36 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

I thought the girl was passed over because she didn't sound very confident when she sang. The girl they showed not long after her seemed to be a polished version of what she was.

I think you might be confusing an answer given to another contestant. Because I do remember that answer given to more than one tryout, but not the girl I'm referring to.

They showed just a few seconds of her singing, but they played about a minute's length of the audio without the matching video. They spent no time on why they passed on her.

The fickleness of their decisions baffles me sometimes. I truly hope it wasn't simply because she had braces.

But I could be wrong on the reason. They have done some really weird editing, this season, and mashing up of contestants that makes it hard to follow sometimes.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #23 of 205 Old 01-30-2014, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

No, they did not give the reason for the girl with the braces. I gave the reason I would have rejected her and I assumed the judges felt the something similar. Then show a seventeen year old who had a lot more polish and sang something in the same wheelhouse as the girl in the braces.
post #24 of 205 Old 02-02-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Adding Harry Conick Jr. was a stroke of brilliance. He is the perfect judge, incredibly funny, and usually dead on in his comments.

post #25 of 205 Old 02-02-2014, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I agree that Conick jr . is an excellent addition... he cracks me up

One of the singers I really enjoyed listening to this season was 'Majesty Rose'

the song she sang was perfect to me...
post #26 of 205 Old 02-02-2014, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Another season with no baritone singers in sight (sigh). You'd think after auditioning a couple hundred thousand singers, they could muster up at least one instead of a continuous stream of whimpy tenors. The one they came up with years ago, Scotty McCreary, won going away even though he was just O.K., and they had to bend their standards to keep him in after he forgot lyrics. They can't be that rare, there are beaucoup of them in country music.

Of course there is always a chance that there are good singers passed on the Hollywood that they did not show.

post #27 of 205 Old 02-05-2014, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I think I have watched almost every episode of American Idol and I have to say I have become somewhat jaded but I have to say that, at this point in the competition, there are some real contenders here. We saw Carrie Underwood audition and there are some singers here at this point that are every bit as good as her at this stage.
With that said I cannot stand group night, it creates unneeded drama, I mean, the point is to find the next American Idol and they put these people together? For what reason?
Oh and the guy who was singing " If I was a boy" is seriously trying to come out, it's almost as if everyone else knows, except him.....
post #28 of 205 Old 02-06-2014, 01:50 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Well he's either extremely open minded or he's a post op tranny. Like chaz bono. Words of the song and his reason all point to it. Plus I thought he looked weird from the beginning.

Group night is the worst part of the show. It puts people in these forced situations that are probably edited to oblivion for extra drama.

I dislike country music so much, but there is one guy I keep seeing that is just so good. I don't remember his name but he's a big dude thst had a hat on for his buddies kennel or dog training business bang bang flop flop. His audition song was really good, sang a version of some crappy, typical country (confirmed by them playing a quick snippet of the original after he finished) sounding song.

Sam Wolfe I am predicting will get very far.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #29 of 205 Old 02-06-2014, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylan View Post

I think I have watched almost every episode of American Idol and I have to say I have become somewhat jaded but I have to say that, at this point in the competition, there are some real contenders here. We saw Carrie Underwood audition and there are some singers here at this point that are every bit as good as her at this stage.
With that said I cannot stand group night, it creates unneeded drama, I mean, the point is to find the next American Idol and they put these people together? For what reason?
Oh and the guy who was singing " If I was a boy" is seriously trying to come out, it's almost as if everyone else knows, except him.....

I agree that there is some good talent up there this year. Much better than the last 2-3 years in my opinion.

And you are right, that guy did come out::
http://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/idol-contestant-comes-tv-via-carefully-chosen-beyonc%C3%A9-060935795.html?vp=1
post #30 of 205 Old 02-06-2014, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I always love Hollywood week. There is something cruel about get on the bus to go home or to Hollywood, but it is really just a spin of having to sing a solo on the first day while others got a day off. There were half a dozen standout singers so far. What I like about the group round is it represent what the show is and what the music industry is really about. Different people bringing their own individual talents together to try to find something they can be proud of while standing out from the crowd.

The stand out people for me are Savion, Majesty, I think her name is Melissa Lake, Melanie, and I think his name is Dexter (the to the roots country guy).
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page