2014 Sochi Winter Olympics on NBC - General comments thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 235 Old 02-01-2014, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 34
For those near the Canadian border and OTA-only, also check the CBC coverage. CBC Windsor looks like more interesting coverage and more early morning live coverage than my NBC affiliate.

Unfortunately, I have a big multipath problem when it is windy and CBC Windsor is "weather permitting" for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 235 Old 02-01-2014, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

...and then I pick the ones I want to record based on the very clear event descriptions for all of them.
Where are the "very clear event descriptions for all of them"? On Tivo's GUIDE?

The WMC GUIDE data (from Zap2it) didn't seem quite so explicit, though it might have been more complete for the near future rather than the distant future (going out 13 days).

The TitanTV schedule is also not detailed yet with specific event info for each cell. It's just generic boilerplate at this point. Wonder if NBC is making that happen?

Anyway, I'm just letting WMC record it all (I have "infinite" hard drive recording capacity) with the simple series record setup, and I'll prune it when I get to it. If I see a hockey game described, or an X-Games event I have no interest in, well I'd normally delete the recording... but who knows what will actually show up in the real world when this is actually "live". So I'd just as soon let it record everything, and then I'll do my "edit" as I watch it down eventually (over the next few months, probably).
post #33 of 235 Old 02-01-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Tivo's guide is the exact same as one of the two links posted here(not the difficult to display NBC one) and I do understand where you are coming from. Unless one wants to record whole blocks of programming(which I'll be going since everything is so vague) your kind of out of luck. I've been clearing my Tivos HDD preparing for the event so I'll have ~160hrs open, that along with nightly watching and I should be in good shape, even recording large blocks of programming. With FF search it's easy to blast past things I'm not so interested in but no way could I record what I wanted with the stock Tivo drive.

post #34 of 235 Old 02-02-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:

Yes, every showing of XXII Winter Olympics in the Tivo guide says what events are going to be in that block, same as it has been for every Olympics prior to this one. I don't really understand what the problem is here because it's very clear to me what I'm going to be recording. If you were expecting a block to be broken up and tell you exactly which event will be shown at what time you're always going to be disappointed, it's never been that detailed.
post #35 of 235 Old 02-02-2014, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm doing most of my recording on WMC, but the events on NBCSN are nicely broken up, as opposed to in the past where it was usually 1 giant block so you had to record the whole thing unless you did manual recordings. Not sure what the issue is with Tivo, but from where I'm sitting, the event descriptions are very clear, both on the guides and on NBC's website.

This is television. It has nothing to do with people, it's to do with ratings! For fifty years, we've told them what to eat, what to drink, what to wear. So what do we do? We give 'em what they want!
post #36 of 235 Old 02-02-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAgeTom View Post

NBC''s primetime program will probably be even MORE processed and "packaged" for the female and non-sports fan audience, especially with figure skating. With the earlier live airing of the competition, they're throwing a bone to the people who wanted it, which frees up the pimetime broadcast to be business as usual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post

I went and looked at the schedule they have now. Seems pretty dismal for what they are actually showing on TV and I agree with IceAgeTom that the final product will probably be packaged for women and non-sports folks.

What's so dismal about the schedule? It's a big improvement over Vancouver to actually have live coverage of more than just hockey and curling on the cable nets. Could they have shown more?.. sure, but between what's on TV and hopefully if the online coverage doesn't suck this year, I'm okay with it.

NBC's coverage is probably going to be exactly what it's always been.. the usual crowd will be watching and gushing over all the features and interviews that's always there. I'm just curious to see how NBC approaches all this that figure skating will have been shown live earlier in the day (albeit with a different crew of announcers), not to mention some other events they're re-airing. New territory for NBC, and as someone who doesn't care much for figure skating, not so sure I'm a fan of this set-up.

This is television. It has nothing to do with people, it's to do with ratings! For fifty years, we've told them what to eat, what to drink, what to wear. So what do we do? We give 'em what they want!
post #37 of 235 Old 02-02-2014, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Yes, every showing of XXII Winter Olympics in the Tivo guide says what events are going to be in that block, same as it has been for every Olympics prior to this one. I don't really understand what the problem is here
I don't have Tivo. I use WMC. Different GUIDE data details (I'm guessing) as WMC gets it from Zap2it.

It looks like as we get closer the GUIDE cells (even on TitanTV) are being populated more precisely with relevant and useful information about the events being covered. This is clearly much easier to do when the TV coverage is "live", and matches the actual schedule of events in Sochi. It's much more worthless with tape-delay edited-for-viewers-enjoyment later prime-time coverage where the events shown and their sequence may well be unpredictable, perhaps even depending on "viewer impact" (and whether or not the USA competitors emerged victorious!).
post #38 of 235 Old 02-05-2014, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Added some edits and revisions to my first post #1 up top of the thread.

One day out, and there's still PLENTY WRONG, nonfunctional or just still broken and/or difficult to use with the NBCOlympics.com site from the point of view of viewers just wanting simply presented and easy-to-read information about what's showing on what channel and when.

On another note, I saw their 1-hour "preview" last night. I'm really looking forward to increased use of their "simulcam" technology to visually present two competitors side-by-side on the same run or jump, to visually contrast all different aspects (height, speed, angle, etc.) in a way that makes perfect intuitive sense once you see it on the screen.
post #39 of 235 Old 02-05-2014, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Ever wonder which Olympics broadcasters get studio space in the International Broadcast Centre (IBC) and/or the smaller Mountain Broadcast Centre (MBC) as well as how much space they have and where the space is located in relation to broadcasters from other countries? Here are a couple of diagrams for the 2014 Olympics shared with me a few months ago.

Layout of the International Broadcast Centre at the 2014 Winter Olympics
Layout of Mountain Broadcast Centre at the 2014 Winter Olympics

On another production note, Olympic Broadcasting Services (OBS) is the official host broadcaster and produces the unbiased "multilateral" world feeds of all events (which Olympics broadcasters can broadcast as is or supplement with their own "unilateral" coverage). However, for some sports, OBS relies on a production team from a broadcaster that has a particularly high amount of experience in covering the sport due to the sport's popularity in the broadcaster's country. For instance, curling coverage will utilize a production team from CBC in Canada, while short track speed skating will use a team from SBS in South Korea. Here is the full list of "multilateral" production teams by sport.

List of production teams at the 2014 Winter Olympics
Young C likes this.
post #40 of 235 Old 02-06-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Guess is starts today!

I've heard the "horror stories" about the Russian goverment preparing for Sochi. Wonder if it's all real eek.gif
post #41 of 235 Old 02-06-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Only that you would get shot if you get caught picking up wild garlic... because the Transilvania team objected!

Joke aside, in this time of age, ti's gonna be hard to be spoiler free of who won the medals and stuff, like isolate yourself until NBC airs the prime events and try to view them as live..

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #42 of 235 Old 02-06-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Only that you would get shot if you get caught picking up wild garlic... because the Transilvania team objected!

Joke aside, in this time of age, ti's gonna be hard to be spoiler free of who won the medals and stuff, like isolate yourself until NBC airs the prime events and try to view them as live..

I agree. Or the online news or forums. Olympic coverage will be everywhere.
post #43 of 235 Old 02-06-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

I agree. Or the online news or forums. Olympic coverage will be everywhere.

You guys do realize that NBC is streaming everything live, right? (except for the Opening Ceremony) I know you have to be a cable subscriber to get that, but if you do, you don't have to isolate yourself until primetime.

post #44 of 235 Old 02-06-2014, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
NBC still wont format Olympics graphics for 16:9. SD video is full screen and the NBC bug is placed for 4:3.
post #45 of 235 Old 02-06-2014, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker2001 View Post

You guys do realize that NBC is streaming everything live, right? (except for the Opening Ceremony) I know you have to be a cable subscriber to get that, but if you do, you don't have to isolate yourself until primetime.

True. Forgot about that.
post #46 of 235 Old 02-06-2014, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Google's home page defends gay rights in the Olympics. How sweet! smile.gif
post #47 of 235 Old 02-06-2014, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Cant believe the 2 man luge wasnt cancelled.

post #48 of 235 Old 02-07-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I wonder if same sex pair of figure skating will come true soon (not implying that's anything wrong with that but it would be interesting)

post #49 of 235 Old 02-07-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Friday afternoon, a man claiming to have a bomb attempted to hijack a Turkey-bound flight from the Ukraine to Sochi, where the Olympic Opening Ceremony is currently taking place. According to NBC News' Richard Engel, pilots turned off their inflight monitors and flew to Istanbul, where the plane landed safely and is now surrounded by security. The situation is on-going, according to Engel.
http://gawker.com/hijacked-plane-makes-emergency-landing-in-turkey-1518309767

wow, really?
post #50 of 235 Old 02-07-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Evidently he was identified as a Joe Solucci:

Tack likes this.

post #51 of 235 Old 02-07-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

You guys see the Olympic ring error? The last ring on the right is a daisy
post #52 of 235 Old 02-07-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Nice Opening - BBC streamed with no commercials wink.gif
post #53 of 235 Old 02-07-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 921
There are some new Winter Olympic events this year in Sochi:
http://www.cracked.com/photoplasty_789_41-new-events-that-would-get-us-to-watch-winter-olympics/

Swine are good people too.
post #54 of 235 Old 02-07-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

There are some new Winter Olympic events this year in Sochi:
http://www.cracked.com/photoplasty_789_41-new-events-that-would-get-us-to-watch-winter-olympics/
Awesome! biggrin.gif
post #55 of 235 Old 02-07-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Awesome! biggrin.gif
It's a great site for laughs.wink.gif

post #56 of 235 Old 02-07-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Doh spoilers!!! be gone!

LOL

post #57 of 235 Old 02-07-2014, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Don't know if anybody noticed this last night as I did, but I was watching the "pre-Olympics Thursday night" qualifying coverage on NBC. Haven't actually finished it yet, but I did watch about an hour or so.

Anyway it was the qualifying heats for women's slopestyle skiing which is what was on first.

Well, color me smitten. Those girls are GORGEOUS! I suppose it's no coincidence that NBC (probably in its desire to "attract a younger viewing audience" demo) did numerous close-up-and-personal bits on several of the US competitors, as well as the Australian star... all of whom are GORGEOUS! And charming, and personable, and who have great back-stories.

Way to get me to watch, I admit! I would normally FF past what I would previously have called "non-event fluff". But in this case, I don't mind at all getting "fluffed". Kind of like it, in fact.
post #58 of 235 Old 02-07-2014, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

But in this case, I don't mind at all getting "fluffed". Kind of like it, in fact.
Too much information.biggrin.gif

post #59 of 235 Old 02-07-2014, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Seems like NBC has had the Olympic games locked up forever. Maybe CBS will snag them in the future; this macroblocking has got to go, but I'll watch anyway..

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #60 of 235 Old 02-07-2014, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

You guys see the Olympic ring error? The last ring on the right is a daisy

Russia didn't see it. Their broadcaster cut to footage from the rehearsal.

Max Vrany
All opinions are my own unless otherwise specified.
I make no guarantees as to the accuracy of any information given.
GO Pack GO! On Wisconsin! Go Brewers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page