2014 Sochi Winter Olympics on NBC - General comments thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-07-2014, 05:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

You guys see the Olympic ring error? The last ring on the right is a daisy
Oops.....someone is going to be spending a few years in the Gulag.biggrin.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2014, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Oops.....someone is going to be spending a few years in the Gulag.biggrin.gif

Hah - Small item though. The video floor was impressive.

So many great ways to watch this year online. NBC can choke on it!
Old 02-07-2014, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hope Costas goes blind in his left eye.rolleyes.gif

Again way too much politics...turned off.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawilljr View Post

I wish NBC still had the MLB contract. Costas was a very good announcer for the Game of the Week broadcasts.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawilljr View Post

I don't want the politics either, but it would be very irresponsible of NBC to ignore it. They have to acknowledge it. Then hopefully once competition starts in full tomorrow, that can be their sole focus.

This is television. It has nothing to do with people, it's to do with ratings! For fifty years, we've told them what to eat, what to drink, what to wear. So what do we do? We give 'em what they want!
Old 02-07-2014, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker2001 View Post

I don't want the politics either, but it would be very irresponsible of NBC to ignore it. They have to acknowledge it. Then hopefully once competition starts in full tomorrow, that can be their sole focus.

Responding to the highlighted part, I totally agree.

Keep politics away from sports.

BTW, about Costas left eye, that of course was tongue in cheek.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 872
I'm enjoying watching the opening ceremony. It's very impressive.

I'd probably buy it on bluray if it is released. It's neat engaging demo track material.

The Russian National Anthem they are singing now sounds like something out of Red October. Very cool with the male chorus.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Old 02-07-2014, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Crap did not know they had a thread here for this.. the fireworks are very impressive including the projection setup.

I just hate tape delay.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

Seems like NBC has had the Olympic games locked up forever. Maybe CBS will snag them in the future; this macroblocking has got to go, but I'll watch anyway..

It got really bad when the lights started strobing which I think was during the ballet dance part.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I'd probably buy it on bluray if it is released. It's neat engaging demo track material.
Probably not going to happen. NBC is too protective of its copyrights.

To my knowledge they never have released any "hard copy" post-Olympics discs for people, ever. Not even the Beijing Opening Ceremonies which were clearly THE MOST SPECTACULAR event one could imagine, and surely lots of people would pay for a recording.

Just gotta make your own edited personal version for posterity, I'm afraid.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

Seems like NBC has had the Olympic games locked up forever. Maybe CBS will snag them in the future; this macroblocking has got to go, but I'll watch anyway..

Going to CBS isn't going to help.

Our ATSC digital standard just can't handle 1080i video, even if it is the only video stream being sent out by the local broadcaster. Obviously it is better than when the local station shoves one, or more, subchannels into the mux, robbing needed bits for the HD video.

You want the best possible NBC video, you'll need a C-band, or Ku-band, BUD to view the network feed, which is at 25 Mbps H.264.

CBS is currently MPEG-2 4:2:2 (I forget the bitrate as I never tune it in), with plans to go H.264 in the near future.

Our local NBC affiliate has a couple of subchannels and when there was high speed strobing, the video turned into unviewable large macroblocks. Even without the two subchannels, there still would have been macroblocking issues, as there just aren't enough bits to go around.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

Old 02-07-2014, 10:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Quote:

The copyright holder is the IOC, not NBC, or any other world broadcaster.

I wonder how much NBC would have to pay the IOC in order to do a U.S.A. release.

Besides, the broadcaster that would probably provide the best HD release is the BBC.

"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

Old 02-07-2014, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo 
Our local NBC affiliate has a couple of subchannels and when there was high speed strobing, the video turned into unviewable large macroblocks. Even without the two subchannels, there still would have been macroblocking issues, as there just aren't enough bits to go around.
True, but I wasn't blaming the subchannels. NBC has been a mess from the start, whether it's light/confetti strobing or simply high-speed action.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
Old 02-08-2014, 01:06 AM

the round part in the NBC IBC (Adler) map is the cafeteria

so the room slightly exaggerated for them downtown

up here in the mountains IMHO we are having a better time of it.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know how CBC's showing of the opening last night was? Do they talk over it like Bob and that other loud mouth women?
Old 02-08-2014, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpaint View Post

the round part in the NBC IBC (Adler) map is the cafeteria

so the room slightly exaggerated for them downtown

up here in the mountains IMHO we are having a better time of it.

Thanks for checking in all the way from Sochi.

On another note, I've noticed that instead of their IBC space some countries have their main studio located in a glass cube built within the Coastal Cluster. From here, their studios get huge windows overlooking the flame and coastal venues. The ARD/ZDF (Germany) program guide even mentioned that this is the first time their studio has not been located "in the catacombs of the IBC." Based on what I've seen so far, I think Canada and Switzerland might also be broadcasting from a cube too.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

Quote:

Quote:

The copyright holder is the IOC, not NBC, or any other world broadcaster.

I wonder how much NBC would have to pay the IOC in order to do a U.S.A. release.

Besides, the broadcaster that would probably provide the best HD release is the BBC.

My local library has a few and if the Beijing opening was on BD I'd love to see it. I watched it live but on BD I bet it wouldn't have had any of the macroblocking on the OTA broadcast.

https://catalog.hclib.org/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=139U8943U57Y5.226397&profile=elibrary&source=~!horizon&view=items&uri=full=3100026~!4446885~!1&ri=1&aspect=subtab23&menu=search&ipp=20&spp=20&staffonly=&term=olympic&index=.TW&uindex=&aspect=subtab23&menu=search&ri=1&limitbox_1=LT01+=+fmt_ldr06_video+and+DV01+=+fmt_desc04_dvd+not+ZO01+=+fmt_960_dlv#focus

https://catalog.hclib.org/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=139U8943U57Y5.226397&profile=elibrary&source=~!horizon&view=items&uri=full=3100026~!3236131~!3&ri=10&aspect=subtab23&menu=search&ipp=20&spp=20&staffonly=&term=Beijing+Opening&index=.TW&uindex=&aspect=subtab23&menu=search&ri=10#focus

Old 02-08-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
There's a Blu ray from the London 2012 games btw.

If a movie or concert video or a TV show isn't on blu ray it darn well should be.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:32 PM

I used Win 7 WMC to record the Opening Ceremony (about 21 gig and 4:04 hours).  I can re-play it in my PC.

But when I go to my Sony TV, equipped with a Sony Media Player, the Opening Ceremony clip is absent from the "Recorded TV" folder and list, whereas all my other recorded shows are available, and can be played.

Anybody has any idea how I can play the Opening Ceremony on the TV?  Did NBC embed some codes to hide the show from the wi-fi stream?

Old 02-08-2014, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ Kayaker View Post

I used Win 7 WMC to record the Opening Ceremony (about 21 gig and 4:04 hours).  I can re-play it in my PC.

But when I go to my Sony TV, equipped with a Sony Media Player, the Opening Ceremony clip is absent from the "Recorded TV" folder and list, whereas all my other recorded shows are available, and can be played.

Anybody has any idea how I can play the Opening Ceremony on the TV?  Did NBC embed some codes to hide the show from the wi-fi stream?
What channel did you record with WMC?

Normal OTA/ATSC broadcasts free over-the-air local NBC networks using your roof antenna are marked "copy freely" and have ZERO restrictions at all. They show up in the "Recorded TV" list of WMC with no special designation in the lower-left corner when you look at INFO for that program.

However cable companies are now free to do what they want, in terms of marking ANY content they carry (including the local networks they carry, along with basic cable channels, premium channels, channels from any tier or optional package, etc.) as "copy-once" including encrypting them for further protection (as this requires a STB/DVR or cablecard-enabled device/tuner to decrypt). Previously they could not do that to local networks which were "copy-freely" in their original OTA/ATSC form going to roof antennas, but the FCC has changed this position (GRRRRR!!!) and now the cable companies are free to copy-protect whatever they want.

This type of "copy-once" content will show up with the designation of "copy protected" in the lower-left corner when you view the INFO through WMC.

Such copy-protected content cannot be delivered from your WMC HTPC to any "remote TV" and viewed there. It can only be viewed on your HTPC through a display device and cable which is HDCP-compliant, and thus "digitally secure" (so that it cannot be pirated in its digitally perfect uncompressed non-encrypted "in the clear" form which is how it gets carried in this last leg to the display device).

However such copy-protected content CAN be delivered from your WMC HTPC to a "Windows Media Center extender", such as XBox, Linksys DMA2100, HP MediaCenter Connect, Ceton Echo, etc., which are connected to the HTPC as part of your home LAN (i.e. using Ethernet connections). Then the extender connects to your remote TV via HDMI cable for the "final mile". This is the ONLY way copy-protected content can be delivered from the HTPC to a remote HDTV. That's the "law" of DRM which is conformant with MS's contract with Cablelabs that allows WMC to record and deliver copy-protected content.

So, if your cable company is delivering NBC Olympics coverage on the NBC channel (e.g. 404 here on TWC/LA) and marking it as "copy protected" as is their optional right thanks to the FCC, you will only be able to view it on (a) your HTPC monitor which is HDCP-compliant, or (b) a remote HDTV via a WMC extender. And if the program is NOT marked "copy protected" then you can watch it on any TV or display device that can be reached from your HTPC.

Note that WMC can also handle OTA/ATSC tuner cards (e.g. Hauppage HVR-2250) which use roof antenna coax input along with cablecard-enabled tuners (e.g. Ceton InfiniTV). If you have an OTA/ATSC tuner in your WMC setup and record your NBC network coverage using that tuner card rather than your cable company tuner card then all of your recordings will be guaranteed to be COPY-FREELY. Off-air broadcasts are always unrestricted and have no copy-protected flags set in their digital metadata. You WILL be able to watch them on remote TV's connected to WMC without the need of having a "WMC extender" for the delivery.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Regarding first overnight coverage of actual competition...

Of course I'm not anywhere near up-to-date. Haven't even watched the Opening Ceremonies yet.

But I did watch the Thursday night qualifying coverage on NBC, and am now watching the NBCSN coverage from overnight (early Saturday AM)... WHICH IS LIVE. Start-to-finish of the 5000M speed skating, which is something that never gets proper coverage on NBC since each of the 13 pairs takes so long to complete.

I had wondered how NBCSN would handle LIVE coverage, and I remark that I AM THRILLED!! This is much like the commercial-free "Tripleplay" from Barcelona (with NBC only inserting commercials during natural breaks in the action, not during the start-to-finish complete LIVE races).

They also did this with the previous cross-country coverage. And I suspect they will do the same thing with ALL the events covered overnight... figure skating, skiing, whatever.

So, it is clear not that I WILL be watching ALL of the LIVE coverage recordings from overnight, as well as the tape-delayed day and prime time NBC broadcasts. This is the ONLY way to really "be at the games" and enjoy the true competition... LIVE, and complete start-to-finish for the entire session. This is today's version of the "Tripleplay"... i.e. give the viewer what they want to see (which is LIVE and EVERYTHING), and throw in commercials when you have the opportunity, but don't interrupt the actual competition.

And during the "ice is being resurfaced" opportunity, they put in some replays of Thursday night's team figure skating preliminary action, which I had not seen. PERFECT!

So far so good.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:04 PM

DSperber, you scared me there! I've been recording all the coverage on my HTPC (I have an Xbox 360 to use as an extender). The cable coverage, as expected, is flagged as copy-once, but the NBC coverage (I have Time Warner) is copy free. I got an e-mail from Time Warner recently saying they were going to start encrpyting everything, but thankfully that hasn't happened here yet. I'll blow a gasket if it happens during the Olympics!

This is television. It has nothing to do with people, it's to do with ratings! For fifty years, we've told them what to eat, what to drink, what to wear. So what do we do? We give 'em what they want!
Old 02-08-2014, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker2001 View Post

DSperber, you scared me there! I've been recording all the coverage on my HTPC (I have an Xbox 360 to use as an extender). The cable coverage, as expected, is flagged as copy-once, but the NBC coverage (I have Time Warner) is copy free. I got an e-mail from Time Warner recently saying they were going to start encrpyting everything, but thankfully that hasn't happened here yet. I'll blow a gasket if it happens during the Olympics!
But you have an extender in your setup... so copy-freely or copy-once doesn't matter to you, even if TWC starts to copy-protect NBC broadcast content that they carry. It's only that you would then MUST go through the extender to deliver copy-protected content to a remote TV whereas previously you might have been able to deliver that content to a remote TV directly if you had some WiFi mechanism. Of course a long HDMI cable direct to the HTPC video card would also work (within practical limits of HDMI cable length).
Old 02-08-2014, 07:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo 
True, but I wasn't blaming the subchannels. NBC has been a mess from the start, whether it's light/confetti strobing or simply high-speed action.

Interesting. I didn't capture the C-Band feed last night. I am tonight (I can't get the Ku-feed). The C-band mux hits around 15.5 Mbps (H.264). So, later on tonight I'll be looking out for issues with the network feed.

But, what I saw last night was definitely a result of the local affiliate.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

Old 02-09-2014, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Checking the live coverage online,
Speed skating: Women's 3000m was using the international English feed with a British commentator not NBC's announcers.
The women's hockey game coverage is from MSNBC.
http://www.nbcolympics.com/olympics-live-extra-schedule

I just find it funny that NBC is still formatting graphics for the outdated 4:3.

Does anyone know if the international english feeds have the option of selecting a feed with 16:9 or 4:3 placement for graphics?
Old 02-09-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:

However cable companies are now free to do what they want, in terms of marking ANY content they carry (including the local networks they carry, along with basic cable channels, premium channels, channels from any tier or optional package, etc.) as "copy-once" including encrypting them for further protection (as this requires a STB/DVR or cablecard-enabled device/tuner to decrypt). Previously they could not do that to local networks which were "copy-freely" in their original OTA/ATSC form going to roof antennas, but the FCC has changed this position (GRRRRR!!!) and now the cable companies are free to copy-protect whatever they want.

No, they're not - you are confusing freedom to encrypt with copy-once. They are free to encrypt the locals (requiring Cablecard to decrypt) but they are not free to mark them as copy-once. Once a local channel has been authorized and decrypted it is a standard mpeg2 file that can be played on any device capable of doing so. Anything else is a violation that can be reported to the FCC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_Control_Information
Old 02-09-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Figure skating: Team event (men's FP, ladies' FP, ice FP) is live on NBCSN however the Live Extra event feed is the national english feed with two Australians commentating.

On the iOS app there is access to NBCSN's live coverage. There is no NBCSN bug on the top right.
Unless I'm missing it NBC Sports is not providing a link to the NBCSN live feed on the web version of Live Extra.
http://www.nbcolympics.com/olympics-live-extra-schedule

Nice to have DD 5.1 on NBCSN if I'm correct they still can't do DD 5.1 for USA based sporting events.

ETA: I just noticed NBC is doing their version of the NFL Red Zone called Gold Zone.
Go inside "The Gold Zone" with Andrew Siciliano and Ryan Burr and let us point you to the best Day 2 action LIVE from the 2014 Sochi Olympics at any given moment.
They are using the NBC Sports feed for the Figure skating: Team event.
http://stream.nbcolympics.com/gold-zone/gold/13544/
Old 02-09-2014, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I think those online commentators are freelancers or something. The international feeds from OBS don't have any commentary in any language, just natural audio.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

I just find it funny that NBC is still formatting graphics for the outdated 4:3.

Does anyone know if the international english feeds have the option of selecting a feed with 16:9 or 4:3 placement for graphics?

All I know is that the LIVE | NBCSN logo on NBC Sports Network is in the top right hand corner of the 16:9 safe zone.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes the logos for the NBC cable channels are placed for 16:9. All event graphics however are placed for 4:3.