2014 Sochi Winter Olympics on NBC - General comments thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 235 Old 02-09-2014, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

Yes the logos for the NBC cable channels are placed for 16:9. All event graphics however are placed for 4:3.

That's not really on NBC though. Even if they're not using the world feed, they usually have to conform to the OBS look, so if they're building graphics for 4:3 safe, there's not much NBC can do about it when they're using their look

This is television. It has nothing to do with people, it's to do with ratings! For fifty years, we've told them what to eat, what to drink, what to wear. So what do we do? We give 'em what they want!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 235 Old 02-09-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo 
Our local NBC affiliate has a couple of subchannels and when there was high speed strobing, the video turned into unviewable large macroblocks. Even without the two subchannels, there still would have been macroblocking issues, as there just aren't enough bits to go around.
True, but I wasn't blaming the subchannels. NBC has been a mess from the start, whether it's light/confetti strobing or simply high-speed action.

Interesting. I didn't capture the C-Band feed last night. I am tonight (I can't get the Ku-feed). The C-band mux hits around 15.5 Mbps (H.264). So, later on tonight I'll be looking out for issues with the network feed.

But, what I saw last night was definitely a result of the local affiliate.

Ku feed was very good with around 26Mbps (H.264) Did not see any artifacts on a 50" plasma.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #93 of 235 Old 02-09-2014, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Content-wise, the NBC network edited packages on Saturday day and prime-time/overnight were truly awful (to my tastes, anyway). I thought I was watching the "US Olympic trials", considering I thought there were about 88 countries over there at Sochi with at least some subset number of them competing in the events that actually made it to air on NBC... though you'd never know it. If an American was in the event, they were on the screen. Otherwise, not so much.

For example, the semi-finals of slopestyle purportedly had 12 competitors, two runs each, with only 4 to make it through. I think there were 3 Americans in the 12. Well even though the final 4 making it on to the finals had 3 non-Americans, NONE of the bottom 8 runs got shown at all, all (or most?) Americans had both their runs shown, and the favored Canadian had both runs shown. You'd think it was the American Olympic Trials with a stray Canadian allowed to compete.

The rest of day/night was all very similar, again presenting it as "the American Olympics". This made it VERY EASY to FF through almost everything in the day/primetime broadcasts on NBC. It was really horrible. Truly, it is pointless to think there is anything here which deserves to be "recorded for posterity" in any form. It's just not an "international Olympics". There are apparently very very few other competitors who made it to Sochi, but for the Americans.

Fortunately almost everything shown day/night I'd already seen LIVE in the overnight coverage on NBCSN... which thankfully was "start-to-finish" event coverage (at least for the events selected for coverage on NBCSN). What a pleasure. I haven't sampled anything online (hey, who has time to do that) for the other interesting events not covered on NBCSN but so far I'm satisfied and entertained by what's on NBCSN. Most importantly it's actual event coverage, LIVE and start-to-finish so that you see ALL OF THE COMPETITORS, not just the US.

Strangely, there was not one single mention on NBCSN of the slopestyle win by the US (i.e. their one gold medal on the first day) all day long (not on NBCSN or during the afternoon NBC broadcast) until I watched NBC Nightly News (before the event even got its primetime coverage) and it was blasted all over the place by Brian Williams... thus ruining it for me, since it had NOT received any TV coverage at all yet and wasn't even scheduled to air until later in the evening. Not even so much as that quaint "spoiler alert, if you don't want ti know then turn off the volume or turn your eyes away" approach... just BLAST IT AWAY!! In the meantime of course the American victory was all over front pages of Interweb sites, but NBC tried to hold it back until NBC Nightly News provided "the tease" for primetime.

Also horrible was the late-night NBC show mere 10-minutes that got allocated to first heat of 1-man luge coverage, which had not been covered on NBCSN so this was my first peek. Talk about lousy editing! Really? Was that the total group of competitors??

Anyway, thankfully the NBCSN live coverage for TV exists. If first day/night/late NBC coverage continues like it did on this first day, it really might be possible to "keep up" at least with a day at a time, since it will take very very little time to FF through NBC broadcast edited tape-delayed "Americans in Sochi" travelogue.

Interestingly, so far I prefer the daytime "live" announcers (e.g. Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski) at skating than the nighttime announcers (Scott Hamilton and I forget who, since I FF'd through it). Maybe it's because I'd already seen the TRUE EVENT, live and start-to-finish... like I was actually there in the arena with the announcers, who thankfully let me watch without too much interference.
post #94 of 235 Old 02-09-2014, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

No, they're not - you are confusing freedom to encrypt with copy-once. They are free to encrypt the locals (requiring Cablecard to decrypt) but they are not free to mark them as copy-once. Once a local channel has been authorized and decrypted it is a standard mpeg2 file that can be played on any device capable of doing so. Anything else is a violation that can be reported to the FCC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_Control_Information
Oops... you're correct. I misspoke. Thanks for setting it straight for me.
post #95 of 235 Old 02-09-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Re: I thought I was watching the "US Olympic trials"

Well, trying to be a little bit "Devil's Advocate", there is something to be said for the way NBC covers the olympics.

Consider the casual viewer who only has a few hours to watch. And usually only in prime time. How would you suggest NBC provide her that?
post #96 of 235 Old 02-09-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post

Re: I thought I was watching the "US Olympic trials"

Well, trying to be a little bit "Devil's Advocate", there is something to be said for the way NBC covers the olympics.

Consider the casual viewer who only has a few hours to watch. And usually only in prime time. How would you suggest NBC provide her that?
Show them some actual competition among the other countries of the world(it is the Olympics after all), an actual sporting event instead of an "America is Great" feel-good piece.

NBC has applied the Faux News "fair and balanced" approach to broadcasting the Olympics.
post #97 of 235 Old 02-09-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Well if they applied the msnbc approach they would be apologizing & firing people every other day. tongue.gif

post #98 of 235 Old 02-09-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Oops... you're correct. I misspoke. Thanks for setting it straight for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Show them some actual competition among the other countries of the world(it is the Olympics after all), an actual sporting event instead of an "America is Great" feel-good piece.

NBC has applied the Faux News "fair and balanced" approach to broadcasting the Olympics.

I'm somewhat with grittree here. I've watched a lot of NBCSN coverage and taken in a good amount of the online streaming coverage which, so far, has been very solid. At that point, what NBC adds is filler. If I wanted to watch all 39 competitors in the luge, I had the option to do that. And I did. But Dsperber.. you say you only got 10 minutes of luge. Did you really want more than that? Did you want to watch all 39 lugers over the course of an hour to include the 25 or so with no real shot at a medal? I get watching the spectacle of the Olympics and seeing athletes represent their countries, but there are so many sports and events out there that you have to pick and choose what you watch. If you don't like NBC's editing, there are other options that were never there before.

So yea, NBC focuses a lot on Americans. Nationalism sells though, so that's why they do that. If you're not getting the full Olympic experience from NBC, look a little harder because it's out there on NBCSN and online.

And 1 other note.. I saw the saw thing with my local news tonight talking about the women's slopestyle which I hadn't seen yet. That's nothing new. The example I remember from Olympics past is the `94 Olympics when Tommy Moe won the downhill. The very first thing CBS mentioned on their coverage that morning was Moe whose downhill run wouldn't be shown until hours later. And that was the days before the Internet where it wasn't always so automatic to find results. That an American won, I bet you that will get MORE people to watch tonight rather than fewer. It's not about the results with the Olympics. Never has been, never will be.

This is television. It has nothing to do with people, it's to do with ratings! For fifty years, we've told them what to eat, what to drink, what to wear. So what do we do? We give 'em what they want!
post #99 of 235 Old 02-09-2014, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker2001 View Post

But Dsperber.. you say you only got 10 minutes of luge. Did you really want more than that? Did you want to watch all 39 lugers over the course of an hour to include the 25 or so with no real shot at a medal? I get watching the spectacle of the Olympics and seeing athletes represent their countries, but there are so many sports and events out there that you have to pick and choose what you watch. If you don't like NBC's editing, there are other options that were never there before.
True.

But for example I'm actually enjoying the NBCSN "Tripleplay-like" start-to-finish coverage of actual events, like I actually bought a ticket to a session and I'm sitting there for an hour or two. I'm going to see mostly losers, and a few winners Right now I'm watching the women's 3000m speedskating session. Sure, not everybody's going to win (or even place or show). But that is EXACTLY what this competition is about... to watch the competition between ALL of the competitors. I bought my ticket to this event and I'm in my seat.

Real shot at a medal? That's the definition of what deserves to get TV coverage? Not for me.

Again, my first realization that there actually were other countries competing in the Olympics was back in Barcelona, with the "Tripleplay". Before that I actually had no idea that any "session" took quite a while if you watched it start-to-finish (e.g. there are breaks in the action for re-surfacing of the ice so that later competitors are not at an unfair disadvantage as the ice condition deteriorates), and that there even was such a thing as "start to finish" in order for all competing competitors to each be given a fair opportunity to compete in the event, no matter that they might have zero chance to win. And some were better, and some were not so good. Never knew that before. I thought only the winners and Americans were at the Olympics.
post #100 of 235 Old 02-09-2014, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe NBC wants people to watch? Imagine that, a business wanting customers. Like Faux News (SIC), which gets way more viewers than it's competitors.
post #101 of 235 Old 02-09-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:

True.

But for example I'm actually enjoying the NBCSN "Tripleplay-like" start-to-finish coverage of actual events, like I actually bought a ticket to a session and I'm sitting there for an hour or two. I'm going to see mostly losers, and a few winners Right now I'm watching the women's 3000m speedskating session. Sure, not everybody's going to win (or even place or show). But that is EXACTLY what this competition is about... to watch the competition between ALL of the competitors. I bought my ticket to this event and I'm in my seat.

Real shot at a medal? That's the definition of what deserves to get TV coverage? Not for me.

Again, my first realization that there actually were other countries competing in the Olympics was back in Barcelona, with the "Tripleplay". Before that I actually had no idea that any "session" took quite a while if you watched it start-to-finish (e.g. there are breaks in the action for re-surfacing of the ice so that later competitors are not at an unfair disadvantage as the ice condition deteriorates), and that there even was such a thing as "start to finish" in order for all competing competitors to each be given a fair opportunity to compete in the event, no matter that they might have zero chance to win. And some were better, and some were not so good. Never knew that before. I thought only the winners and Americans were at the Olympics.

This is starting to bug me.. it was the Triplecast, not Triple play. And yes, it was probably both the best thing and the worst thing NBC ever did to its Olympic coverage.

Okay, so if that's what you want, you know what.. you have that option now. The thing everyone has always been saying about Olympic coverage is that they'd like to have the option to watch an event in its entirety. Well, you have that now. Either with NBCSN or with online coverage. Again, I get wanting to see all these athletes from different countries, but it's impossible to take in everything. So, NBCSN gives you all the speed skating. Or, NBC can give you a little bit of everything. If you want to see the luger from Tonga make his run, you can do that. But that's a lot of luge to watch and you're not going to know he's from Tonga unless the announcers tell you or the graphic on the screen says it.

But beyond that, NBC's coverage is just a portion of what's out there now. Where NBCSN will show an entire event, that's not what NBC is about. So there's something for every taste. If NBC's editing isn't for you, I understand that. But there's only so much they can show each day, so if it happens to focus mostly on medal winners and Americans, they're just trying to be efficient with their time for those who don't want to sit through an entire event.

post #102 of 235 Old 02-09-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post

Maybe NBC wants people to watch? Imagine that, a business wanting customers. Like Faux News (SIC), which gets way more viewers than it's competitors.

LOL, I get what you're saying, but that's neither here nor there with regard to NBC and the Olympics.

The funny thing is that NBC gets huge ratings for the Olympics. Then the response to that is "well, NBC has a monopoly, so people have no choice, they're forced to watch." Which I laugh at.

1 thing to keep in mind though.. viewers are not NBC's customers. Advertisers and sponsors are. Granted, they need viewers to justify the dollars they get, but their main goal is to take care of their bottom line, not to please their viewers.

post #103 of 235 Old 02-09-2014, 04:23 PM

Liked: 12
See, this is exactly what I had mentioned earlier. You thought NBC''s primetime show would be any different than before? Nope. biggrin.gif Again, it's going to be heavily processed and packaged as a human-interest entertainment story primarily for women and non-sports viewers.

They ARE providing live complete event coverage online and on NBCSN, so that option is available for the sports fans.

And to be honest, I probably fit in NBC's primetime target audience, as like many people I really don't care about Olympic-type sports except during...the Olympics, so I actually kind of like the primetime "package" show. smile.gif I don't need to see an entire event's competition, or even more than two minutes of some of them (like XC skiing). I also intentionally learn about the gold medal winners and intermediate results (for multi-day evnets) beforehand, so it helps me to "pre edit" what I'll watch in primetime; e.g. with last night's men's snowboard slopestyle finals, all I cared about was Sage's winning run, so I basically ignored the rest of the whole broadcast (had it on in the bqackground while I read and was on my computer...team figure skating does not interest me).
post #104 of 235 Old 02-09-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAgeTom View Post

See, this is exactly what I had mentioned earlier. You thought NBC''s primetime show would be any different than before? Nope. biggrin.gif Again, it's going to be heavily processed and packaged as a human-interest entertainment story primarily for women and non-sports viewers.

They ARE providing live complete event coverage online and on NBCSN, so that option is available for the sports fans.

And to be honest, I probably fit in NBC's primetime target audience, as like many people I really don't care about Olympic-type sports except during...the Olympics, so I actually kind of like the primetime "package" show. smile.gif I don't need to see an entire event's competition, or even more than two minutes of some of them (like XC skiing). I also intentionally learn about the gold medal winners and intermediate results (for multi-day evnets) beforehand, so it helps me to "pre edit" what I'll watch in primetime; e.g. with last night's men's snowboard slopestyle finals, all I cared about was Sage's winning run, so I basically ignored the rest of the whole broadcast (had it on in the bqackground while I read and was on my computer...team figure skating does not interest me).

And that was the problem with past Olympics. The cable nets only covered hockey and curling and maybe another event or 2. Online streaming was either limited or non-existent. A lot has changed in the past 4 years, and from my seat, it's giving me a great Olympic experience. These past 2 days have been great. I could nitpick things to death, but I feel very satisfied with everything I've been able to take in thus far.

post #105 of 235 Old 02-09-2014, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

This is starting to bug me.. it was the Triplecast, not Triple play. And yes, it was probably both the best thing and the worst thing NBC ever did to its Olympic coverage.
Oops... another typo brain malfunction. I knew that. ("Tripleplay" is that offer from your cable company for phone, TV and Internet).

You're right.

And I (along with you, apparently) were part of the few thousand VERY LUCKY subscribers to that pay-per-view offer (I went "silver" I think) which was an enormous money-loser for NBC.
post #106 of 235 Old 02-09-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Considering that NBCs coverage is all recorded events it gives them more time to plan out the filler segments during their coverage.
As other said it's nice that NBCSN is doing most commercials around the down time in the events so you are not missing much when they do go to commercials.
post #107 of 235 Old 02-09-2014, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Just in passing, I really like the tiny POV camera they have planted in the red cone on the speed skating oval which they cut to every now and then as a skater approaches at what appears to be amazingly fast speed. And they're smartly not over-using it, though I find myself wishing they'd use it more.

Reminds me of that wonderful dual-lens (180 degree opposing orientation) camera they had on the downhill ski run in some past Olympics, where it instantly changed from its "incoming" lens to its "outgoing" lens as the skier flew past at astounding speed. The instant transition from coming to going really did its job perfectly in conveying the sensation of speed.

I also like the sled-cam "rabbit" that runs along the perimeter of the oval tracking the speed of the skaters, especially around the turns, from an exterior angle.

And most enjoyable is the flying-cam they've got suspended on some cable or raised track over the arena I guess, which is like the sled cam in that it flies around with the skaters at their speed (so that the audience flies by in the background but the skaters are kind of stationary in the image frame) but from an elevated in-the-sky perspective. Terrific.

Also very enjoyable (due to live coverage and its potential for unedited excitement and more time for off-track camera coverage) is the opportunity to rather casually watch and participate in the "afterglow" of performances or the jubilation after actual medal positions are determined at the end of the event. It's actually very exciting that the last competitor shown is NOT necessarily the winner, but that the winning performances may have occurred way back earlier and we have to wait (along with the competitor) until all competitors have had their chance to compete.

I like Rebecca Lowe on NBCSN. I kind of like trying to interpret her Aussie idioms, e.g. when she talked about "an opportunity to equalize" referring to a missed chance to tie things up in a hockey game. And of course Ato Boldon is terrific.

Well, time to watch some ladies luge training now.
post #108 of 235 Old 02-09-2014, 05:27 PM

Liked: 31
Quote:

Content-wise, the NBC network edited packages on Saturday day and prime-time/overnight were truly awful (to my tastes, anyway).
Content wise I don't see much difference from the way things have been for a long time. I don't think it's all bad but it is a very USAcentric presentation and I think they spend too much time with the human interest stories. As others have noted, this is what they believe sells and that's the business they are in. Every time the Olympics arrive I find myself wishing I had a CBC affiliate available to me again as I truly have enjoyed their coverage of the Olympics in the past. That said, the multiple channel feeds and streaming with NBC Live Extra (glad I got that Apple TV for Xmas!) do go a long way toward letting one watch more of the Games.
Quote:
Interestingly, so far I prefer the daytime "live" announcers (e.g. Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski)
I was actually impressed with both of them and their commentary styles. Tara has blossomed into a lovely woman and was spot on in her commentary. For my taste Johnny is a bit flamboyant (a gold necklace?!?) but perhaps we were overdue for another Liberace and again, his commentary was pithy and spot on.

“A great thunderstorm of sound gushed from the walls. Music bombarded him at such an immense volume that his bones were almost shaken from their tendons; he felt his jaw vibrate, his eyes wobble in his head.” ― Fahrenheit 451
post #109 of 235 Old 02-09-2014, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

It's been this way for quite some time. Agree, it's Jingoistic, so if you really want to see the event, the internets
are there for you. BBC to some extent - RT even better but it's Real Time, so check your watch wink.gif

A zillion channels on Justin TV/Sports - good luck, the quality is all over the place.

On this board, NBC is good enough for most who have a casual interest, and that's fine.
post #110 of 235 Old 02-09-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:

Again, you do realize everything is being streamed, right? I know you have to be an authenticated cable subscriber, but if you're looking for an alternative to NBC, it's out there

post #111 of 235 Old 02-09-2014, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Let's get real.

The "N" in NBC stands for "National" - it's the National Broadcasting Company.

It's an American network covering an interantional event, and righfully so, NBC
is featuring the "home team."

There's nothing wrong with that. Surely, other networks from other countries
are featuring their home-grown atheletes.

I'm more concerned by the terrible looking pictures that I'm receiving OTA from
the network's flagship station here in New York City.

Soft, almost SD! UGH!
post #112 of 235 Old 02-09-2014, 10:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellKrell View Post

I'm more concerned by the terrible looking pictures that I'm receiving OTA from the network's flagship station here in New York City.

This is probably an issue anywhere in the country where the affiliate has one, or more, sub-channels. Even if there aren't any sub-channels, 17 Mbps is barely enough of a bitrate for 1080i video. Knock it down to 13.1 Mbps, as it is here why I live, and the picture goes to hell-in-a-handbasket a lot.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #113 of 235 Old 02-10-2014, 12:41 AM

Quote:

What channel did you record with WMC?

Normal OTA/ATSC broadcasts free over-the-air local NBC networks using your roof antenna are marked "copy freely" and have ZERO restrictions at all. They show up in the "Recorded TV" list of WMC with no special designation in the lower-left corner when you look at INFO for that program.

However cable companies are now free to do what they want, in terms of marking ANY content they carry (including the local networks they carry, along with basic cable channels, premium channels, channels from any tier or optional package, etc.) as "copy-once" including encrypting them for further protection (as this requires a STB/DVR or cablecard-enabled device/tuner to decrypt). Previously they could not do that to local networks which were "copy-freely" in their original OTA/ATSC form going to roof antennas, but the FCC has changed this position (GRRRRR!!!) and now the cable companies are free to copy-protect whatever they want.

This type of "copy-once" content will show up with the designation of "copy protected" in the lower-left corner when you view the INFO through WMC.

Such copy-protected content cannot be delivered from your WMC HTPC to any "remote TV" and viewed there. It can only be viewed on your HTPC through a display device and cable which is HDCP-compliant, and thus "digitally secure" (so that it cannot be pirated in its digitally perfect uncompressed non-encrypted "in the clear" form which is how it gets carried in this last leg to the display device).

However such copy-protected content CAN be delivered from your WMC HTPC to a "Windows Media Center extender", such as XBox, Linksys DMA2100, HP MediaCenter Connect, Ceton Echo, etc., which are connected to the HTPC as part of your home LAN (i.e. using Ethernet connections). Then the extender connects to your remote TV via HDMI cable for the "final mile". This is the ONLY way copy-protected content can be delivered from the HTPC to a remote HDTV. That's the "law" of DRM which is conformant with MS's contract with Cablelabs that allows WMC to record and deliver copy-protected content.

So, if your cable company is delivering NBC Olympics coverage on the NBC channel (e.g. 404 here on TWC/LA) and marking it as "copy protected" as is their optional right thanks to the FCC, you will only be able to view it on (a) your HTPC monitor which is HDCP-compliant, or (b) a remote HDTV via a WMC extender. And if the program is NOT marked "copy protected" then you can watch it on any TV or display device that can be reached from your HTPC.

Note that WMC can also handle OTA/ATSC tuner cards (e.g. Hauppage HVR-2250) which use roof antenna coax input along with cablecard-enabled tuners (e.g. Ceton InfiniTV). If you have an OTA/ATSC tuner in your WMC setup and record your NBC network coverage using that tuner card rather than your cable company tuner card then all of your recordings will be guaranteed to be COPY-FREELY. Off-air broadcasts are always unrestricted and have no copy-protected flags set in their digital metadata. You WILL be able to watch them on remote TV's connected to WMC without the need of having a "WMC extender" for the delivery.

Thanks DSperber:

I don't have cable; just OTA.  "What channel did you record with WMC?", my local OTA channel for NBC is 8.  8.1 to be more precise.

INFO in "Recorded TV"?  I looked everywhere, including <right click> the <setting>?  I couldn't find "INFO".  Nor did I see "copy protected", or "copy-once".

All my other non-Olympics programs (like Tonight with Jay Leno, Perry Mason, etc.) recorded TV show up on my Sony TV, via the Sony Media Play-N200, under "Recorded TV".  The N200 would scan all my PC's harddrives, internal as well as external (over wifi).  Yes, it does take a minute or 2; but fairly efficient.

Thanks for bringing up Media Center Extender possibilities.  I just located a used one from Craigslist.  Very affordable.

post #114 of 235 Old 02-10-2014, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCasualty View Post

Content wise I don't see much difference from the way things have been for a long time. I don't think it's all bad but it is a very USAcentric presentation and I think they spend too much time with the human interest stories. As others have noted, this is what they believe sells and that's the business they are in. Every time the Olympics arrive I find myself wishing I had a CBC affiliate available to me again as I truly have enjoyed their coverage of the Olympics in the past. That said, the multiple channel feeds and streaming with NBC Live Extra (glad I got that Apple TV for Xmas!) do go a long way toward letting one watch more of the Games.
I was actually impressed with both of them and their commentary styles. Tara has blossomed into a lovely woman and was spot on in her commentary. For my taste Johnny is a bit flamboyant (a gold necklace?!?) but perhaps we were overdue for another Liberace and again, his commentary was pithy and spot on.

I was a little confused by the Team skating competition. The announcers didn't help. I never saw or heard an explanation of the scoring and the results all seemed up in the air still which made it more compelling viewing during the morning broadcast on NBC Sports. But, when I saw parts of it again during primetime they indicated that the medals were already determined during the women's individual skate. I definitely liked the morning announcers although they did talk too much.
post #115 of 235 Old 02-10-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 64
So far the games have been boring, NBC is making them so, they only want to do interviews, lots of commercials and very little actual content, it's like 50-30-20 ratio right now..

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #116 of 235 Old 02-10-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

So far the games have been boring, NBC is making them so, they only want to do interviews, lots of commercials and very little actual content, it's like 50-30-20 ratio right now..

That's only if you watch NBC. NBCSN has been great, as has the streaming coverage. Makes me wonder how they screwed that up so badly for London and how much improved it is this time.

post #117 of 235 Old 02-10-2014, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

That's only if you watch NBC. NBCSN has been great, as has the streaming coverage. Makes me wonder how they screwed that up so badly for London and how much improved it is this time.
I think that's entirely due to the LIVE "start-to-finish" coverage approach they've finally gone with on NBCSN. With the time zone issue (11 hours for us here in LA) there's really no giant commercial loss using the otherwise essentially available overnight and morning hours for this LIVE coverage.

No need to edit to favor US competitors with on-air time. It's just a 2-hour session event, and we're all there start-to-finish. You get to see competitors (especially speed skaters) in both pre-race and post-race states, which is just like you were there. It's a much more comfortably paced and enjoyable presentation that way, say when you get to see all 13 pair skates in their entire complete form in the 3000m womens event. You now realize that it's truly an INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION, with competitors from LOTS of countries... some of whom will clearly not win, but the fun is in watching them all compete.

Having watched the LIVE coverage on NBCSN, I'm amazed how jumbled and choppy the far more limited afternoon/primetime NBC broadcast edited versions is to meet time constraints, not to mention how much actual competition that actually took place got lopped off and never shown at night where it seems like a "highlight reel" clearly intended to appeal to American non-enthusiast viewers (e.g. with Mary Carillo features rolled in). There's really no comparison from a viewer enjoyment perspective (at least for THIS viewer) given that complete start-to-finish HD coverage is available (at least for the events shown on NBCSN, which so far satisfy me).

I will have to sample the streaming coverage just to see. But so far I'm seeing what I want on NBCSN.
post #118 of 235 Old 02-10-2014, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

From what I understand you need cable for NBCSN? sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

I agree, I've only been watching really ski jumping and snowbording but how NBC is doing it is making me just not want to watch.
post #119 of 235 Old 02-10-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruB4 View Post

From what I understand you need cable for NBCSN? sucks

NBCSN is a cable channel. So yes, you need cable to get NBCSN.

post #120 of 235 Old 02-10-2014, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

NBC added a link to the live feed of NBCSN's coverage for the web version of Live Extra.
http://stream.nbcolympics.com/generic/13733/
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page