2014 Sochi Winter Olympics on NBC - General comments thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 235 Old 02-12-2014, 10:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Need help tracking down John Williams commercial release

I've been trying to track down the version of John Williams' Olympic Fanfare and Theme since the 1992 Barcelona Olympics. Yes, for almost 22 years.

You can hear pieces of the theme during NBC's current primetime presentation. That got me thinking again about trying to track this particular version down.

Back in 1992 I recorded the NBC coverage on Umatic tape, not VHS. The stereo audio was put onto the tape using dbx noise reduction. Obviously the FM TV audio reduced the frequency response. It goes out to 14 kHz. I edited the tape, keeping the closing credits, which used the theme during the montage/credits.

According to the John Williams' web site, there have been three studio recordings. Not one of them matches the version that NBC has used since Barcelona.

I'm under the impression that a special studio recording was done for NBC, which has never been released commercially. I'm hoping that isn't the case and that someone here knows the deal regarding this recording.

If you think you can help, PM me and I'll respond with the link in which to download the video. It is not on my server. I had to upload it to a different server, as it is 95 MB in size (H.264/AC3 mkv SD).

Hopefully someone can help me track this down.

Thanks in advance.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 235 Old 02-12-2014, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

The NBCSN feed is encrypted (not a surprise).
On the other hand, if you do get NBCSN as part of your service on your cable system, you'd be treated to start-to-finish event coverage that depending on the actual event time in Sochi, is almost guaranteed to be LIVE here in the US for the "glamour events". Even if not live but tape delayed for scheduling conflict reasons, at least all event coverage is start-to-finish and could not be more exciting (e.g. quarter-finals, semi-finals, and finals of both the men's and women's cross-country sprint event on Tuesday... just terrific).

For example, all 20 pairs figure skating short program were shown in the five groups (including inter-group ice preparation delays) exactly as if you had a ticket and were there in a seat for the complete several hour session. What a difference in enjoyment level between this start-to-finish coverage for an entire session or event, and the abbreviated edited replay version that got shown that night on NBC afternoon or primetime.

Even if NBCSN hadn't already been present on my TWC/LA cable service, I would have been glad to pay a la carte for it for these two weeks (think Triplecast?). I find it much more enjoyable to watch this on my large HDTV with surround sound than to look at a live-stream video window on my computer monitor with ads and promos all around it.

Absolutely no complaints.
Nayan likes this.
post #153 of 235 Old 02-13-2014, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

On the other hand, if you do get NBCSN as part of your service on your cable system, you'd be treated to start-to-finish event coverage that depending on the actual event time in Sochi, is almost guaranteed to be LIVE here in the US for the "glamour events". Even if not live but tape delayed for scheduling conflict reasons, at least all event coverage is start-to-finish and could not be more exciting (e.g. quarter-finals, semi-finals, and finals of both the men's and women's cross-country sprint event on Tuesday... just terrific).

For example, all 20 pairs figure skating short program were shown in the five groups (including inter-group ice preparation delays) exactly as if you had a ticket and were there in a seat for the complete several hour session. What a difference in enjoyment level between this start-to-finish coverage for an entire session or event, and the abbreviated edited replay version that got shown that night on NBC afternoon or primetime.

Even if NBCSN hadn't already been present on my TWC/LA cable service, I would have been glad to pay a la carte for it for these two weeks (think Triplecast?). I find it much more enjoyable to watch this on my large HDTV with surround sound than to look at a live-stream video window on my computer monitor with ads and promos all around it.

Absolutely no complaints.

I agree 100%. As soon as I get home from work (usually around 4:30 am) I've been turning on Curling and watching the other live events afterwards. The streaming portion really sucks and it is much nicer to see it all on my big screen.

I'm a 'hooker' and a knitter. I guess that makes me bi-stitchual :).
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #154 of 235 Old 02-13-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My only complaint with NBC's coverage is airing curling delayed on NBCSN at 3am ET when they could show it live at 12am ET.
Today they also had curling not live on MSNBC at 10am ET.
post #155 of 235 Old 02-13-2014, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 150
I agree, but I love Curling so I will take what I can get.

I'm a 'hooker' and a knitter. I guess that makes me bi-stitchual :).
post #156 of 235 Old 02-13-2014, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

Need help tracking down John Williams commercial release

I've been trying to track down the version of John Williams' Olympic Fanfare and Theme since the 1992 Barcelona Olympics. Yes, for almost 22 years.

You can hear pieces of the theme during NBC's current primetime presentation. That got me thinking again about trying to track this particular version down.

Back in 1992 I recorded the NBC coverage on Umatic tape, not VHS. The stereo audio was put onto the tape using dbx noise reduction. Obviously the FM TV audio reduced the frequency response. It goes out to 14 kHz. I edited the tape, keeping the closing credits, which used the theme during the montage/credits.

According to the John Williams' web site, there have been three studio recordings. Not one of them matches the version that NBC has used since Barcelona.

I'm under the impression that a special studio recording was done for NBC, which has never been released commercially. I'm hoping that isn't the case and that someone here knows the deal regarding this recording.

If you think you can help, PM me and I'll respond with the link in which to download the video. It is not on my server. I had to upload it to a different server, as it is 95 MB in size (H.264/AC3 mkv SD).

Hopefully someone can help me track this down.

Thanks in advance.

It is quite possible that someone at NBC edited a recording to a desired time and that is why they don't match what you have.
In 1996 there was a CD of Olympic Music that was available. I believe the John Williams material recorded for Atlanta included the fanfare and that it was the same version used by NBC. However, I am not positive that's memory is correct on that. Hope that helps.

Jim Hilson
post #157 of 235 Old 02-13-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

My only complaint with NBC's coverage is airing curling delayed on NBCSN at 3am ET when they could show it live at 12am ET.
Today they also had curling not live on MSNBC at 10am ET.
That won't happen because it would interfere with prime time on the west coast feed for NBC. That coverage ends at 2:30 EST. on the west coast we get prime time, local news and then late night which overlaps with NBCSN.
We also get USA west coast delayed on Comcast.
Everything is placed for ratings and overlaps are kept to a minimum.

Jim Hilson
post #158 of 235 Old 02-13-2014, 08:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

[quote name="HislonV" url="/t/1514166/2014-sochi-winter-olympics-on-nbc-general-comments-thread/150#post_24353934"It is quite possible that someone at NBC edited a recording to a desired time and that is why they don't match what you have.[/quote]

It isn't time. It is two separate recording sessions.
Quote:
In 1996 there was a CD of Olympic Music that was available. I believe the John Williams material recorded for Atlanta included the fanfare and that it was the same version used by NBC. However, I am not positive that's memory is correct on that. Hope that helps.

I believe I compared what I have with that version and it did not match. The work I think you are mentioning is the one listed in this website quote:
Quote:
After moving to Sony Classical, Williams recorded it yet again for his 1996 Olympic CD Summon the Heroes (Sony Classical SK 62592, reissued as SK 89434 for the 2000 Games), this time with Leo Arnaud's Bugler's Dream fanfare in place of the original opening bars of the work (a practice he has used in recent concert performances).

That means it could not be the version I have, as it would have been recorded after 1992 and as noted in the quote, the opening bars are different.

"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

post #159 of 235 Old 02-14-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 315
The overlaying(?) of the downhill skiers to compare times is really cool.

I guess it must be the culture of snowboarders to wear as baggy clothing as they can, but it would seem to me if they wore the same outfit the downhill skiers use, they would be able to add more spins and twists to their routine. Those baggy clothes add a lot of resistance.
post #160 of 235 Old 02-15-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I know they recorded the Salt Lake stuff about two weeks prior to the 2002 Games, at Symphony Hall in Salt Lake City.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #161 of 235 Old 02-15-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I liked how in the final 30 seconds of USA-Russia men's hockey that the Fightin' Putins got about 6-7 extra seconds on frozen clock.

Quit failing to flip the switch
post #162 of 235 Old 02-15-2014, 06:47 PM
JCL
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OggideM View Post

I liked how in the final 30 seconds of USA-Russia men's hockey that the Fightin' Putins got about 6-7 extra seconds on frozen clock.

I noticed that. Nobody said anything about those 6-7 seconds, not CBC or NBC.
post #163 of 235 Old 02-15-2014, 06:51 PM
JCL
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HislonV View Post

It is quite possible that someone at NBC edited a recording to a desired time and that is why they don't match what you have.

I'm quite sure that neither John Williams nor any of the orchestras went out to re-record the Olympic Fanfare to a length that NBC desires for it's daily opening intros. NBC's audio editor merely re-edits some previous recording of the score. It is technologically possible.
post #164 of 235 Old 02-15-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmking12370 View Post

A long streak will come to an end tonight.

Matt Lauer to fill in for Bob Costas on NBC's Olympic primetime show
NBCOlympics.com
Share This
Feb 11, 9:15am EST

TODAY host Matt Lauer will fill in for Bob Costas during NBC’s Olympic prime time show Tuesday night. Costas has been struggling with an infection in his left eye, which has now spread to his right. He joked about it on Monday night as he toasted the evening with Mary Carillo by downing a shot of vodka. “I'm not really that much of a vodka guy,” he said. “I'm looking at it this way, though. My eyes can't get any redder, no matter what I do.”

This marks the first time since CBS presented the Nagano Olympic Winter Games in 1998 that someone other than Costas will host an Olympic primetime show. It’s also the first time since 1988 that someone other than Costas will host the Olympic primetime show on NBC, a remarkable run of 157 straight nights.

In a live call to Lauer on Tuesday morning’s TODAY, Costas said he hoped he could return after one night off, but wasn’t sure. “Let’s hope it’s only tonight. I’m walking around, I might as well be playing ‘Marco Polo.’ I have no idea where I am.” Costas gave Lauer vital information for his pinch-hitting duty – the names of Russian pairs figure skaters Tatyana Volosozhar and Maksim Trankov – before signing off. Lauer said he’d start prepping right away.

“By the way, I will be doing the shots of vodka starting in about 15 minutes,” Lauer said.

As a long time, devoted follower of Olympic coverage - and fan of Bob Costas - I was disappointed to hear of this substitution (sorry for Costas' illness, but thought the coverage would suffer). Boy was I WRONG!!! I think Matt Lauer did a fabulous job - came across as knowledgeable, warm, informed and personable...a great combination. I love Meredith Viera but am not enjoying her in the anchor role - comes across forced and like she's trying too hard not to look like she's reading the cue cards (who can blame them with the pronunciations they need to report, but still). While I wish Costas the best, PLEASE bring back Matt Lauer to host the rest of the Olympics....and again next time. 

post #165 of 235 Old 02-15-2014, 08:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL View Post

I'm quite sure that neither John Williams nor any of the orchestras went out to re-record the Olympic Fanfare to a length that NBC desires for it's daily opening intros. NBC's audio editor merely re-edits some previous recording of the score. It is technologically possible.

The bits of the Olympic Fanfare and Theme that is heard during openings and the longer end that closes primetime, is the material that I have of the complete piece used for the 1992 closing credits.

Mr. Video

post #166 of 235 Old 02-15-2014, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL View Post

I noticed that. Nobody said anything about those 6-7 seconds, not CBC or NBC.

it was really really damning. I'm not surprised NBC is silent on it

post #167 of 235 Old 02-16-2014, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I wanted to bring this to the proper thread from the locked thread Olympics: annoying comments during ice skating events:

JerrySki OP:

"The beauty, choreography and music of the ice skating events are marred by the unnecessary comments of "experts" during the performance. I often want to shout at the TV "will you just shut up!?". The commentators can save their insights for the instant replay that always follows the performance. It seems as if the commentators are more interested in showing off their expertise than in helping us to enjoy the performance. The skaters have worked hard to deliver a performance that blends beautiful movements and music. They deserve an undistorted presentation to the audience.

If you agree, add you voice and perhaps the Olympics administrators will take notice."

___________________________________________________________________________________________

humbug2 reply:

+1000.

I am greatly annoyed by the verbal diarrhea and exclamations of the commentators, in particular Hamilton.

Additionally, I wonder about such totally stupid observations as "she put her hand down" and on the next jump "she didn't put her hand down". This is TV you idiot. We can see.

Having the option for OTA CBC (Canadian) I greatly prefer and normally watch their figure skating. They are rabidly nationalistic with a slight anti-USA bias but are far more informative in their commentary and know how to shut their mouth for extended periods. Regrettably their coverage of Olympic post team- figure skating has either been sketchy or not included in the guide data.

OTA I do not get NBC daytime Olympics which has Lipinski (sp?) and Weir for commentators. I have heard them in previous events and they do a good job.

Once upon a time ABC did figure skating. While some of there commentators were lacking when they first started they were usually much better than NBC but then almost everyone I have ever heard is.
Mark12547 likes this.

"Most people would die sooner than think, in fact they do so."  Bertrand Russell The ABC of Relativity, 1925

post #168 of 235 Old 02-16-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 400
carolcityboyz, FOPA and Mark12547 like this.
post #169 of 235 Old 02-16-2014, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug2 
TA I do not get NBC daytime Olympics which has Lipinski (sp?) and Weir for commentators. I have heard them in previous events and they do a good job.
Much more enjoyable (i.e. far less intrusive and hysterical) with these two on NBCSN during the LIVE coverage than the Hamilton/Bezic nightime edited replay version. Terry Gannon is OK but not great, but not as horrible say as Al Trautwig might be. It's also fun to see these two "glimmer twins" (as Terry called them the other day) and their style/fashion statements. VERY enjoyable.

Quote:
Once upon a time ABC did figure skating. While some of there commentators were lacking when they first started they were usually much better than NBC but then almost everyone I have ever heard is.
Terry Gannon used to work with Dick Button and Peggy Flemming on ABC. I really enjoyed these two. Sorry they're no longer working.
post #170 of 235 Old 02-16-2014, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
OK. Watching Bode Miller get a bronze in the superG. Good for him. Seems to have matured over the years. But I could not believe the interview they just did after the race. How many times was the interviewer going to ask him about his brother? Are you kidding me? The reporter should be ashamed of herself and of course NBC could not help but play it up.
post #171 of 235 Old 02-16-2014, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

question if anyone watched the replay of the USA-Russia

did NBC have the common sense to whitewash the blatant clock chicanery ?

post #172 of 235 Old 02-17-2014, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I was expecting some kind of replay on Sunday, nothing, the coverage started at 3:PM like it would have gone for an afternoon NFL game, so it was some snowboarding qualifying, it went like this: 1 competitor, 5 mins of commercials, 1 competitor, another 5 mins, and the competitor runs only took 1.5 minutes.

The HOTP article about being only 22.4% acttion should also audit weekends, maybe the worst coverage on these days.

Sadly for many of us that work a 9 to 5 job can't view the Olympics like and have to settle for NBC's coverage.

About the snowboarding runs, they have mics all over the place and you can hear the competitors scream when they were going to get hurt, during and after...

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #173 of 235 Old 02-17-2014, 06:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 633
These Olympics, like all of them, are impossible to watch without the benefit of a DVR. The commercial load would drive me stark raving mad.
post #174 of 235 Old 02-17-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

I was expecting some kind of replay on Sunday, nothing, the coverage started at 3:PM like it would have gone for an afternoon NFL game, so it was some snowboarding qualifying, it went like this: 1 competitor, 5 mins of commercials, 1 competitor, another 5 mins, and the competitor runs only took 1.5 minutes.

The HOTP article about being only 22.4% acttion should also audit weekends, maybe the worst coverage on these days.

Sadly for many of us that work a 9 to 5 job can't view the Olympics like and have to settle for NBC's coverage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

These Olympics, like all of them, are impossible to watch without the benefit of a DVR. The commercial load would drive me stark raving mad.

Do you know how much "action" there is during an NFL game? It's funny how many people are bothered by commercials during Olympics, but have you ever bothered to count the number of commercials during a football game? The percentages are probably a lot closer than you think, but no one seems to mind commercials in an NFL game because the game is artificially stopped numerous times during the game for a TV timeout.

I agree the commercial load compared to the amount of actual action seems excessive during the Olympics, but it's not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be. Also doesn't help matters that you're talking about hundreds of hours of coverage and the same commercials are repeating over and over again.

And DrLar, the USA-Russia game got replayed on Saturday, the overtime and shootout was then shown in primetime, then the game WAS replayed again on Sunday on NBCSN.

This is television. It has nothing to do with people, it's to do with ratings! For fifty years, we've told them what to eat, what to drink, what to wear. So what do we do? We give 'em what they want!
post #175 of 235 Old 02-17-2014, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker2001 View Post

Do you know how much "action" there is during an NFL game? It's funny how many people are bothered by commercials during Olympics, but have you ever bothered to count the number of commercials during a football game? The percentages are probably a lot closer than you think, but no one seems to mind commercials in an NFL game because the game is artificially stopped numerous times during the game for a TV timeout.

Make no mistake - I don't watch football games without the benefit of a DVR either. I think I read somewhere that there are only 11 minutes of actual action during a typical 3 hour football telecast.

Basically, I no longer watch anything live, especially sporting events. As Americans, we're bombarded with more advertising than any other human beings on earth, some 400 messages a day on average. Anything that provides some relief from that relentless and mind-numbing onslaught is a gift. The DVR has to go down as one of mankind's greatest inventions, right up there with the electric light, sliced bread, and the bikini.
post #176 of 235 Old 02-17-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

someone shut these idiot announcers on ice dance up

"ice dance is the most objective of the judged skating..."

"... it all comes down to personal taste"

JFC, shut up!
Mark12547 likes this.

post #177 of 235 Old 02-17-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OggideM View Post

someone shut these idiot announcers on ice dance up

"ice dance is the most objective of the judged skating..."

"... it all comes down to personal taste"

JFC, shut up!

Methinks thou doest protest too much. rolleyes.gif They do shut up. They really only talk when there's a mistake, to let the audience know. The rest of the time they're mostly quiet, and the better the performance, the less they say. Tara and Johnny Weir have been exceptionally good and not at all intrusive, according to my wife. And she should know.

My wife was a figure skater when she was in her teens, did it for 12 years, won a bunch of competitions. And that's how she watches the skating performances. She's mostly quiet, except when a competitor makes a goof, then she explains what happened and why, usually before the announcers do. I keep saying she should apply for their jobs. smile.gif
post #178 of 235 Old 02-17-2014, 12:14 PM

The disrespectful post-race questioning of Bode Miller was inexcusable.  Shame on you NBC!  It was like a cheap tabloid reporter trying to conduct an interview.  Shame on you for allowing this to happen!

post #179 of 235 Old 02-17-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike4141 View Post

The disrespectful post-race questioning of Bode Miller was inexcusable.  Shame on you NBC!  It was like a cheap tabloid reporter trying to conduct an interview.  Shame on you for allowing this to happen!

I'm sure Cristin Cooper has been taken to task for it. A real pro would have had a feel for the fact that interview was heading south fast, and quickly figured out a way to change the subject or bail out.
post #180 of 235 Old 02-17-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

As Americans, we're bombarded with more advertising than any other human beings on earth, some 400 messages a day on average. Anything that provides some relief from that relentless and mind-numbing onslaught is a gift.

Darn, So that's why everyone is staring at their palms in public. They're all afraid to look up.
I knew it!
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page