2014 Sochi Winter Olympics on NBC - General comments thread - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 235 Old 02-24-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post

Agreed! The media was knocking the Russians at every turn and searching for problems to report on but there were very few complaints from the atheletes.

Funny, I thought "the media" was particularly restrained considering Putin's appalling human rights record recently, as well as the relentless attack on the nascent democratic institutions there, particularly a free press. I heard Costas give a short commentary on it one evening - couldn't have been more than 3 minutes. And that's it. The rest of NBC's "up close and personal" pieces that I saw were 100% pro-Russia fluff. The newspaper's sports page ignored everything but the sports. Not exactly what I would call "knocking them at every turn". Seems to me they got what amounted to a free pass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 235 Old 02-24-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Funny, I thought "the media" was particularly restrained considering Putin's appalling human rights record recently, as well as the relentless attack on the nascent democratic institutions there, particularly a free press. I heard Costas give a short commentary on it one evening - couldn't have been more than 3 minutes. And that's it. The rest of NBC's "up close and personal" pieces that I saw were 100% pro-Russia fluff. The newspaper's sports page ignored everything but the sports. Not exactly what I would call "knocking them at every turn". Seems to me they got what amounted to a free pass.

Not the way I saw it at all the headlines in my paper went like "Opening ceremonies a success, NYET!" That was all bout the missing ring and every day was a different negative headline. On TV they showed a glass of dirty water that no one would drink and yet everyone survived the two weeks. They showed the bad toilet at least 100 times. How about the wolf that was prowling the dorm which was actually shot in New York by Jimmy Kimmel as a joke. How would gay athletes be treated? Putin went out of his way to be nice to them even hugging a few. Don't forget the terrorist threat that hangs over the games like a dark cloud. No, Russians are not completely free and maybe their government spies on them, but they've come a long way since the cold war ended and I hope they continue the progress. I'm not a Putin fan and I know he's an SOB. Our government does a bit of spying as well.

I thought the media wanted to report that the games were a mess and were disappointed at well everything went.
post #213 of 235 Old 02-24-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
The media here (American) thought so sure some attack was going to happen.

That ended up being a turn off for me.
post #214 of 235 Old 02-24-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, I didn't see any of that on NBC's coverage other than what I mentioned - those 3 minutes from Costas one night. And I watched a lot of NBC's coverage. And the scare stories and toilet reports stopped once the games started. Maybe your news sources are different from mine. Like I said, it looked like they got the white glove treatment from NBC and other sports outlets. YMMV.
post #215 of 235 Old 02-24-2014, 02:41 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Anyone got bored to death with All and Chris as commentators on the closing ceremony? also 90 mins devoted to the Harding/Kerrigan story.. bleh!

I just wanted them to shut up. "You know I really love coming to the games, this is such a great experience. "Boy that was really something" "So much controversy here - yet they pulled it off". Just the most inane, pointless blather like this. I actually liked the ceremonies, and I usually don't care for these things. I think they struck a pretty good balance with entertainment/historical/technical. Making fun of their own technical gaffe was a great touch. I even thought the huge "murder bear" and his animatronic pals were adorable. Only thing I didn't like was NBC apparently chopping it up and the insipid commentary.
post #216 of 235 Old 02-24-2014, 04:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post

How about the wolf that was prowling the dorm which was actually shot in New York by Jimmy Kimmel as a joke.

Not quite. The Jimmy Kimmel "prank" was shot in L.A.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #217 of 235 Old 02-25-2014, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 38
You are correct sir, my bad. But my point was that it was on the evening news and I never saw any retraction after he had the wolf on his show.
post #218 of 235 Old 02-25-2014, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I hope one day they do some kind of SAP thing, to turn off the commentators while the event audio remains intact... but I don't think that's gonna happen soon, it's NBC until 2024 I think

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #219 of 235 Old 02-25-2014, 08:24 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I hope one day they do some kind of SAP thing, to turn off the commentators while the event audio remains intact... but I don't think that's gonna happen soon, it's NBC until 2024 I think

It's only 2020, actually. NBC has the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio, the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyoengchang (South Korea), and the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo. The 2022 Winter Olympics (site TBD) and beyond have yet to be awarded.

This is television. It has nothing to do with people, it's to do with ratings! For fifty years, we've told them what to eat, what to drink, what to wear. So what do we do? We give 'em what they want!
post #220 of 235 Old 02-26-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

First off, no one can do 19 Mbps HD video. The total bitrate for the ATSC mux is 19.1 Mbps. With only an HD stream, the video bitrate would be around 17 Mbps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post

CBS in their major O&O markets (such as NY & LA), the CBS stations now have a subchannel so they are not the full 19Mbs they used to be.
No mention of the video bitrate. They used to dedicate the full channel to one station, of course minus any null packets. And yes the overall channel is still 19.38 Mbs. NBC average OTA bitrate may be lower, but I think they use stat muxing which I don't think CBS does. I watched mostly NBCSN and it looked fairly good. I know it's been decades since PhC was created, but I still remember how bad the earlier frame blending conversions looked, and early PhC got tripped up a lot.

ATSC 3 should be fully implemented by the next Olympics wink.gif Should be interesting to see how 4K is doing by then.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #221 of 235 Old 02-26-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:

That would be perfect. I will never happen on the National Advertizing Company, but we can dream wink.gif
post #222 of 235 Old 03-01-2014, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
This year was the first I recall that the Olympics weren't shown in 3d in the usa....2012 was an experiment but very few people saw it....Comcast and NHK did a 4k filming of the games and this year's games were among the best looking i've seen on tv. The surround sound was pretty good but the commentary was awful. Glad they held the games days before the Ukrainian crisis hit.
post #223 of 235 Old 03-02-2014, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kascnef82 View Post

This year was the first I recall that the Olympics weren't shown in 3d in the usa....2012 was an experiment but very few people saw it....Comcast and NHK did a 4k filming of the games and this year's games were among the best looking i've seen on tv.
Can't wait for Tokyo 2020 - where Japan are aiming for 8K coverage... May be at 120fps as well!
Quote:
The surround sound was pretty good but the commentary was awful. Glad they held the games days before the Ukrainian crisis hit.

Though we haven't had the Paralympics yet...
post #224 of 235 Old 03-02-2014, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

Can't wait for Tokyo 2020 - where Japan are aiming for 8K coverage... May be at 120fps as well!
Though we haven't had the Paralympics yet...

Yeah...we were half-joking this morning, when we wondered if the US will attack before the Paralympics are over, or wait.
Things are not looking good over there.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #225 of 235 Old 03-02-2014, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I know it's a bit late to comment on technical aspects of the NBC coverage, but I'm "a bit behind". Recording and watching everything that was on NBCSN (as well as the "high profile" event coverage that was exclusively on NBC afternoon/primetime) takes quite a bit of time, and I've still got the final four days of competition to watch.

Anyway, I REALLY enjoyed the Tara/Johnny/Terry dynamic covering figure skating. Really really fun, to listen to their honest commentary and banter, not to mention their coordinated fashion statements every day.

But what I really want to compliment is the DD5.1 AUDIO on NBCSN. In particular I want to compliment the ambient sound microphone placements around the figure skating arena, the "mix", and the audio from the headsets on each of the three commentators. The overall sound was EXCELLENT!! Intimate, accurate, surround, and very much like "you are there". TERRIFIC AUDIO (and I don't normally complement NBC audio). I think this really added to the overall enjoyment of all events of the entire figure skating agenda... at least if you watched 100% of the coverage on NBCSN (i.e. EVERY SKATER LIVE!).

NOTE: Tara and Johnny have been hired by Access Hollywood to cover fashions on the Red Carpet at the Oscars later today. Can't wait to see what they're wearing, and what they have to say about the celebrities. I think the two of them are really wonderful as a talk-team.
motodop likes this.
post #226 of 235 Old 03-02-2014, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I would like them to put all the announcers and commentators on the center channel and the event sounds on the rest of the channels.
You could then adjust the volume levels to your taste. Which in my case would be center channel -40db ,the rest normal.

"Most people would die sooner than think, in fact they do so."  Bertrand Russell The ABC of Relativity, 1925

post #227 of 235 Old 03-03-2014, 05:11 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

But what I really want to compliment is the DD5.1 AUDIO on NBCSN. In particular I want to compliment the ambient sound microphone placements around the figure skating arena, the "mix", and the audio from the headsets on each of the three commentators. The overall sound was EXCELLENT!! Intimate, accurate, surround, and very much like "you are there". TERRIFIC AUDIO (and I don't normally complement NBC audio). .

Thank you for the compliment. I have lurked here over the past 6 Olympics and am pleased that this time 'round very few complaints were directed at the sound and vision. For the most part, the technologies have converged and delivering a quality HD signal has finally become easier than ever before.

Regarding the figure skating, there is an audio guy at the venue mixing just the host broadcaster supplied sound effects. To that, we add a separate track of commentary remotely mixed at the IBC by another audio guy, via internet protocol delivery. Finally, in the studio control room, a 3rd audio guy mixes the commentary in with the sound effects , prior to direct delivery to you at home.
post #228 of 235 Old 03-03-2014, 05:14 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug2 View Post

I would like them to put all the announcers and commentators on the center channel and the event sounds on the rest of the channels.
You could then adjust the volume levels to your taste. Which in my case would be center channel -40db ,the rest normal.

I can assure you that is exactly what was leaving Sochi. If you were not hearing it that way, something is either wrong with your set up or at the affiliate.
post #229 of 235 Old 03-04-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunk View Post

I can assure you that is exactly what was leaving Sochi. If you were not hearing it that way, something is either wrong with your set up or at the affiliate.
Or the cable/sat provider in the case of NBCSN , CNBC, MSNBC, or USA.

post #230 of 235 Old 03-07-2014, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The opening ceremony for the Paralympic Winter Games just concluded LIVE on NBCSN. The company did a good job with the ceremony except for one criticism. Since there is only 45 countries participtating, they could have aired the Parade of Nations commerical free instead of omitting the countries they missed while in commercial break.

NBC did fix one mistake early on in the ceremony coverage. They were using their bottom line score updates for the first 45 minutes of the ceremony. They took it down just prior to Team USA coming out. (although they also switched out the small LIVE graphic for the huge NBCSN LIVE logo.

Tonight at 1AM EST starts the live coverage of the alpine sking events.
post #231 of 235 Old 03-07-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 308
With everything going on in that part of the world I don't understand why the games are being played. With all of the rhetoric and tension with Russia, I'm surprised the U.S. and the major European countries are attending. That's like going to work everyday with the man that is having an affair with your wife and working side by side as if nothing is happening. Then when you get home all h*ll breaks loose. Repeat. It seems bizarre to me.
post #232 of 235 Old 03-07-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I think it just goes to show how little respect Putin has for the Special Olympics. He had his Big Show, pulled it off, now it's back to your regularly scheduled provocations. These games are a tiny postscript that few are paying any attention to.

For the athletes sake, I'm glad they're still getting to compete. This may the high point of many of their lives. But that said, under the circumstances, it does seem kind of bizarre.
post #233 of 235 Old 03-07-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

With everything going on in that part of the world I don't understand why the games are being played. With all of the rhetoric and tension with Russia, I'm surprised the U.S. and the major European countries are attending. That's like going to work everyday with the man that is having an affair with your wife and working side by side as if nothing is happening. Then when you get home all h*ll breaks loose. Repeat. It seems bizarre to me.

Many countries were going to send some government officials to attend the Games but decided not to go. But you can't tell these athletes that the Paralympics are just flat out cancelled because of what's going on with Russia. I know the situation with Ukraine is bigger than any of these athletes and Russia doesn't deserve this world stage, but it's not like the situation in Crimea is going to improve by cancelling the Games. So long as the safety of the spectators and the athletes is not in question due to Sochi holding the Paralympics (and that's debatable, but I don't think it's an issue), there's no need to cancel the event and tell 500+ athletes it's all for nothing.

This is television. It has nothing to do with people, it's to do with ratings! For fifty years, we've told them what to eat, what to drink, what to wear. So what do we do? We give 'em what they want!
post #234 of 235 Old 03-11-2014, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Careful who you might insult Archiguy. 'Special Olympics' are for athletes with 'intellectual' disabilities.

post #235 of 235 Old 03-11-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motodop View Post

Careful who you might insult Archiguy. 'Special Olympics' are for athletes with 'intellectual' disabilities.

Sorry, my bad. Obviously, I meant Paralympics.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page