post #61 of 74 Old 01-27-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by baja7475 View Post

didn't watch the grammy's but I heard Metallica performed. How were they and what song did they do?

They performed One, with Lang Lang at the piano.

The video below is the best I could find for the sound quality...
baja7475 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 74 Old 01-27-2014, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 37
They never fail to impress!
post #63 of 74 Old 01-27-2014, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just love it when the young ones show off selected body parts for all to see. I could use a wardrobe malfunction or two.
post #64 of 74 Old 01-27-2014, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

They performed One, with Lang Lang at the piano.

The video below is the best I could find for the sound quality...

I played around with the above video with iSpectrum, a spectrograph app. Now, I don't know how the video was encoded, but it sounded about like what I heard on TV. As I suspected, there's a pretty hard wall at ~11kHz and another at ~50Hz. I played the official "One" video on YouTube and it has plenty of energy up to ~15kHz and a lot more centered at 50Hz.

The wall at 11kHz agrees with the feeling that all the "life" or "space" has been sucked out of the audio.

- Jasen.
post #65 of 74 Old 01-27-2014, 06:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

I played around with the above video with iSpectrum, a spectrograph app. Now, I don't know how the video was encoded, but it sounded about like what I heard on TV. As I suspected, there's a pretty hard wall at ~11kHz and another at ~50Hz. I played the official "One" video on YouTube and it has plenty of energy up to ~15kHz and a lot more centered at 50Hz.

The wall at 11kHz agrees with the feeling that all the "life" or "space" has been sucked out of the audio.

If I create an AC3 file, @ 640kbps, of the song at the end, can you use your iSpectrum on it? If so, I'll do that. The source will be the Dolby-E from the backup sat feed from the venue.

The audio software I have can also do FFT. so I can do that on each of the 6 audio channels.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #66 of 74 Old 01-27-2014, 06:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

^^^ Had to have your local CBS affiliate. Certainly wasn't that way on my local CBS affiliate.
But the commercials were not squeezed to death - even the national ones. I kind of wish I'd recorded it so I could make some spectrograms of it.

I was watching via my local CBS affiliate and it didn't sound compressed to me. But the local commercials were louder than CBS net. Oops, so much for the equal loudness thing. But, I didn't record the local affiliate.
Quote:
I suppose it's possible my local affiliate (FiOS in SE Virginia) ...

I didn't know that FIOS was a local CBS affiliate. biggrin.gif

"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #67 of 74 Old 01-27-2014, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

If I create an AC3 file, @ 640kbps, of the song at the end, can you use your iSpectrum on it? If so, I'll do that. The source will be the Dolby-E from the backup sat feed from the venue.

The audio software I have can also do FFT. so I can do that on each of the 6 audio channels.
I'm not sure that I can. I just have a Mac and whatever I can download. Does VLC play AC3? If you can do FFT, then it's probably easiest for you to look at it. I see there's a bunch of Grammy videos popping up on YouTube now, I may give some of them look & listen.

- Jasen.
post #68 of 74 Old 01-27-2014, 08:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

VLC does indeed play standalone AC3 files.

But, I did tear apart the last 12 minutes of the show and created images of the 6 audio waveforms and the 6 ffts.

You can see that the left, right and center waveforms are not compressed. Great frequency response as well.

Here is the zip file of the images. Keep in mind that I do not have a high bitrate DSL connection, so the 1.3 MB file won't download instantly.

Enjoy.

Mr. Video

post #69 of 74 Old 01-27-2014, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

Found a clean feed on another xponder. Will still have censored audio though. At least the damn CBS bug is gone. It isn't 4:2:2, but it is 41 Mbps MPEG-2.
Quote:

There are four feeds for CBS use and one international feed (on Ku).

So to be clear: the feed you recorded was for CBS use but sans logo and not the uncensored international feed? Or was the international feed also censored this year? Where is the international feed and how big a dish do you need to get it?

And why four CBS feeds, anyway? If the international audience can get by with one, why does CBS need four?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughToo View Post

I'm the broadcast audio engineer, nice to meet all of you.

Likewise. smile.gif

Could you please tell TPTB at CBS that many Americans would like an uncensored audio feed? Put it on SAP, simulcast the show on pay cable, stream it online, or something. It’s ridiculous that the rest of world can hear an American program uncensored and most Americans cannot.

And the most ridiculous scenes of the night were the audience shots of Taylor Swift dancing to silence. Like it’s not enough just to silence the bad words. The whole image must be scrubbed. You don’t have to look at those nasty rappers, America; you can look at Taylor dancing. See, Virginia, Taylor likes it, so it must be OK.

Good bleepin’ grief! rolleyes.gif

(On the flip side – so to speak – at least the CBS picture doesn’t dissolve into digital noise whenever Swift flips her hair, like it always does on the local ABC affiliates.)
post #70 of 74 Old 01-28-2014, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblo View Post

And the most ridiculous scenes of the night were the audience shots of Taylor Swift dancing to silence. Like it’s not enough just to silence the bad words. The whole image must be scrubbed. You don’t have to look at those nasty rappers, America; you can look at Taylor dancing. See, Virginia, Taylor likes it, so it must be OK.

Good bleepin’ grief! rolleyes.gif

(On the flip side – so to speak – at least the CBS picture doesn’t dissolve into digital noise whenever Swift flips her hair, like it always does on the local ABC affiliates.)

I didn't watch the show but....I'm afraid you're actually not joking? eek.gif
post #71 of 74 Old 01-28-2014, 08:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblo View Post

So to be clear: the feed you recorded was for CBS use but sans logo and not the uncensored international feed? Or was the international feed also censored this year? Where is the international feed and how big a dish do you need to get it?

No idea if the international feed was uncensored. When I've been able to get it in the past, it wasn't.

The location of the feed changes from year to year. In theory a 3m Ku dish should have been enough. But I understand that the signal was not as strong as it could have been. You'd also need a digital IRD. I couldn't get it and I have a 12' dish. I also have an interference issue where I live. I have an idea where it is coming from, but no proof at this point in time.
Quote:
And why four CBS feeds, anyway? If the international audience can get by with one, why does CBS need four?

Good question. Two transponders had exactly the same content. One had no bugs and snipes. The fourth was an 8PSK two program mux. But it was encrypted, so I do not know what was on it. Also, the interference made a lock extremely difficult on the weak signal.

Mr. Video

post #72 of 74 Old 01-29-2014, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The international feed was not censored. As a general rule, censorship of awards shows is done at the network level after the feed has left the production truck on site (although I'm not completely sure about the Oscars). Each country and broadcaster has differing criteria for censorship, but yes, it is entirely possible for an awards show censored in the United States to air uncensored elsewhere in the world.
post #73 of 74 Old 01-31-2014, 03:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by agus0103 View Post

The international feed was not censored. As a general rule, censorship of awards shows is done at the network level after the feed has left the production truck on site

Well, somewhere between the production truck and the sat feed uplink, and the main fiber feed, the audio was censored. If it would have been done in NY, then I would have heard everything.

In the past, the censorship was done in NY and I did get a clean audio recording. But, not this year.

Mr. Video

post #74 of 74 Old 01-31-2014, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
In previous Oscar shows the censorship in done in a trailer outside the Dolby Theater next to the production truck just before it goes out on fiber and satellite to NY. The international feed is producer in a different location (parking lot south of Hollywood Blvd).
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Grammy Awards 2014

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page