post #151 of 162 Old 02-17-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

One thing that amazed me about the Beatles is how prolific they were. They recorded and released the singles We Can Work It Out/Day Tripper, Paperback Writer/Rain, Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane and the albums Rubber Soul, Revolver and Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, all in an 18 month stretch. Just an amazing feat.

(oh, they managed to throw in a world tour in this same timeframe as well)

They were releasing 2 albums a year for a while. Meanwhile, the Stones were matching them album for album.

Lots of great music and creativity back then.

smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 162 Old 02-17-2014, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When the Beatles arrived on the scene in the USA at the end of 1963, they essentially filled a GIGANTIC void in the genre of rock 'n roll music.

Think of what happened to the genre at the end of the 1950's:

1. The plane crash in February 1959 that killed Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and J.P. "Big Bopper" Richardson effectively deprived us of a new generation of rock 'n roll stars that would have been leading musical acts in the genre by the early 1960's.
2. Elvis Presley--in what should have been his most productive years between 1958 and 1960--was instead serving in the US Army. And after he left the Army, he was way more interested in doing movies and other genres of music (Presley recorded a lot of gospel-themed music in the first half of the 1960's).
3. Several prominent rock 'n roll stars--Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, and a few others--were suffering from major legal and personal problems that really hurt their popularity.
4. Rock 'n roll music was heavily tied to the payola scandal that in the end effectively ended the careers of several prominent rock 'n roll disk jockeys.
5. Prominent religious organizations successfully got people to turn away from rock 'n roll music.

No wonder by 1961, rock 'n roll was pretty much a dead musical format in the USA. Sure, the Beach Boys starting in 1962 started to revive the genre with their California sound format, but once the Beatles and the subsequent British Invasion happened in 1964, record companies again took rock 'n roll seriously, and that may have helped the Beach Boys become very popular.

Interestingly, in 1960 something did start to fill the void of the fall of rock 'n roll: the Motown sound, which combined African-American soul music with American popular beat music. And it stayed popular even with the arrival of the British invasion.

This is something that shows that celebrated the 50th anniversary of the Beatles' first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show often miss.

Raymond in Sacramento, CA
post #153 of 162 Old 02-18-2014, 12:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Yes, sort of. A very long time ago a local radio station had a program dedicated to the "Paul is dead" controversy. They explained what to look for in all of the album covers and played the songs that were supposed to have hidden "Paul is dead" messages. One of the "clues" is at the end of Strawberry Fields (I think) where it sounds like John is saying "I buried Paul" , but he's actually saying "I'm very small". I taped the entire program and still have that tape today. I probably should transfer it to a fresh tape or to a CD. It's not a very long program, probably 10 minutes or so but it covers everything. Speaking of the Abby Road album cover, there is a volkswagon in the background that has a license plate number of LMW 28IF. Paul would have been 28 IF he was alive wink.gif
The attorney F. Lee Bailey hosted a syndicated special back in the day where he put the whole Paul is dead thing on trial and argued both sides if I remember correctly. Even had a tape deck so he could play things forward and backwards. I can't remember the outcome, not that it matters, was pretty funny though.
post #154 of 162 Old 02-18-2014, 05:26 AM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I don't know what tech is available now, but back-in-the-day there was something Dolby (I think) developed for removing the pops, hiss, etc.
Unfortunately, it also removed some of the high frequencies too.
Wouldn't be surprised if there are better solutions now.

I don't remember Dolby having this, but I did have a unit from SAE that did this. It wasn't cheap and I didn't think it did that great a job, so I returned it and got a really nice Cassette player.
post #155 of 162 Old 02-18-2014, 05:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWinVA View Post

I don't remember Dolby having this, but I did have a unit from SAE that did this. It wasn't cheap and I didn't think it did that great a job, so I returned it and got a really nice Cassette player.
This is what I was thinking of:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_noise-reduction_system

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #156 of 162 Old 02-18-2014, 06:05 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

I had an SAE "Click and Pop Machine" too. And I did exactly what you did.. had it for a week or so and returned it. frown.gif

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #157 of 162 Old 02-18-2014, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

This is what I was thinking of:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_noise-reduction_system

I remember well all the versions of Dolby- even had Dolby HX on my last cassette deck. But the very 1st line of the link you posted shows that it wasn't used on LP's: "Dolby NR is the name given to a series of noise reduction systems developed by Dolby Laboratories for use in analog magnetic tape recording."

This is what I was referring to:

http://www.swingmusic.net/sae.html
post #158 of 162 Old 02-18-2014, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

I had an SAE "Click and Pop Machine" too. And I did exactly what you did.. had it for a week or so and returned it. frown.gif

HA- beat me to it w/ that link.

It sounded great in theory, but in practice was unimpressive. In oreder to really get rid of the noise, you had to lose too much of the music. SAE was really high-end for a while, but then they seemed to disappear.
post #159 of 162 Old 02-18-2014, 11:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:

I remember well all the versions of Dolby- even had Dolby HX on my last cassette deck. But the very 1st line of the link you posted shows that it wasn't used on LP's: "Dolby NR is the name given to a series of noise reduction systems developed by Dolby Laboratories for use in analog magnetic tape recording.''
Right, it was a built-in feature (usually defeatable) in cassette decks, etc, when recording one's LPs.

Quote:
This is what I was referring to:

http://www.swingmusic.net/sae.html
OK, but I wasn't aware of this box.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #160 of 162 Old 03-02-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 163

ED SULLIVAN'S TOP PERFORMERS: The Greatest Rock & Roll and Pop Acts of the '60s Performing Their Biggest Hits

PBS (at least here locally) is repeating this tonight at 8pm. 

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/ed-sullivans-top-performers-the-greatest-rock--roll-and-pop-acts-of-the-60s-performing-their-biggest-hits-165329216.html

Among the highlights are a pair of chart-toppers from both The Beatles ("I Want To Hold Your Hand," "She Loves You") and The Rolling Stones ("Ruby Tuesday," "Paint It, Black") plus top-ten hits by The Turtles ("She'd Rather Be With Me"), The Mamas & The Papas ("Creeque Alley"), Tom Jones ("It's Not Unusual") and Johnny Rivers ("Baby I Need Your Lovin'").

post #161 of 162 Old 03-02-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

ED SULLIVAN'S TOP PERFORMERS: The Greatest Rock & Roll and Pop Acts of the '60s Performing Their Biggest Hits

PBS (at least here locally) is repeating this tonight at 8pm. 

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/ed-sullivans-top-performers-the-greatest-rock--roll-and-pop-acts-of-the-60s-performing-their-biggest-hits-165329216.html

Among the highlights are a pair of chart-toppers from both The Beatles ("I Want To Hold Your Hand," "She Loves You") and The Rolling Stones ("Ruby Tuesday," "Paint It, Black") plus top-ten hits by The Turtles ("She'd Rather Be With Me"), The Mamas & The Papas ("Creeque Alley"), Tom Jones ("It's Not Unusual") and Johnny Rivers ("Baby I Need Your Lovin'").

Must be pledge time at PBS. wink.gif
post #162 of 162 Old 03-02-2014, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

Must be pledge time at PBS. wink.gif
March, July, and November, like clockwork.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page