50 years since the Beatles changed most everything - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 162 Old 01-30-2014, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 48
With the anniversary approaching this upcoming week, should be many docunews and tributes on the airways

Post your comments about the better ones as well as share your memories and thoughts as to why nothing was the same again after the Beatles first appearance on Sullivan

neflixis our nemesis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 162 Old 01-30-2014, 10:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
As a kid, I can remember my Daddy and his buddy getting drunk and going out and buying Beatle wigs.
They thought the Dutch boy hair cuts of the Liverpool lads was very funny at the time.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #3 of 162 Old 01-31-2014, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Well, I was shoveling snow when they were on Sullivan the first time.smile.gif A friend that lived on the next block came outside and yelled "Did you see them?" I had no clue who he was talking about...

The next day I swear every guy in junior high but me had their hair brushed down on their forehead......

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #4 of 162 Old 01-31-2014, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

saw my first one last night, the British Invasion on cnn

at first I wasn't sure where this was going as it started with a brief but brilliant take on the Beatles arrival but then seemed to get diffused focusing on all the British acts that followed, including the less memorable ones

The show seemed to lack any context, but then after the second commercial break I saw an add for a documentary of sorts called the sixties by tom hanks playtone production company. This seemed to be a chapter or episode from that larger production, one that focuses on the overwhelming influence of rock in that decade. It continued on in some depth showing how the British were really only bringing back black music to America from whence it came. Some pretty impressive shots of black artists performing their original works and the Beatles impressively covering it. The importance of the bands developing their own song writing the marketing genius of the Beatles, the power that came to the most successful bands (and discussions as to how they should use it), Dylan going electric, the Beatles pioneering the concept album, and ending with Brian Wilson and the Beatles developing the studio into a new instrument.

very well done. Should be repeating so check it out if you get a chance

reminds you that those of us who got to experience all this wonderful frenzy are truly blessed

neflixis our nemesis
post #5 of 162 Old 01-31-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Well, I wasn't born yet, so I have no memories. smile.gif

The Deauville is having a tribute concert. They have been advertising it heavily on the radio. I have never been to the Deauville (passed by it numerous times). I wonder how it has changed since the Beatles played there.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #6 of 162 Old 01-31-2014, 04:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 192

Back in the day (for a time) The Monkeys where bigger... not saying better. :) I remember The Dave Clark Five shortly followed The Beatles on Sullivan. They were certainly big although I tend to remember a lot of bands and solo performers from the day. It wasn't just The Beatles rather the music scene itself appeared to influence the country. Now I was of the age that music was a large part of my life even though I wasn't that into it... I think that is one of the differences. Back then it felt like everyone was influenced by it.

The Monkees had international hits, including "Last Train to Clarksville", "Pleasant Valley Sunday", and "Daydream Believer". At their peak in 1967, the band outsold both the Beatles and the Rolling Stones.[11] 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monkees

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #7 of 162 Old 01-31-2014, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Was just a wee lad when the so-called invasion happened, so no memories of it, but do recall Sullivan's show. Personally, I prefer McCartney & Wings to the Bugs.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #8 of 162 Old 02-01-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 68
As a huge Beatles fan, I remember watching Ed Sullivan on 3 consecutive weeks. Brian Epstein took less money in order to have maximum exposure over 3 weeks instead of the usual 1 night. In a country of 197 million people, 73 million of them watched the Beatles that first night. You couldn't turn on the radio for more than 5 minutes without hearing one of their songs, since they had the top 5 songs and 14 out of the Billboard top 100. I will be going to the Beatles fest next weekend, first time held in NYC n 40 years..Watching the special next Sunday on CBS also..

http://www.thefest.com/

post #9 of 162 Old 02-01-2014, 03:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Back in the day (for a time) The Monkeys where bigger...
I think that's highly debatable...

Besides, without the Beatles, there never would have been the Monkeys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

Personally, I prefer McCartney & Wings to the Bugs.
We're starting to worry about you, Rez.tongue.gif

post #10 of 162 Old 02-01-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I think that's highly debatable...

Besides, without the Beatles, there never would have been the Monkeys.

I'm a fan and I lived through Beatlemania. I don't think you can put a generic label or to a large degree profess this or that... about a group. First you have to address their music, cultural influences and any number of other factors.

As an example if you were older The Rolling Stones (and many other bands/solo artists) were hip and the The Beatles not so much. Older as in mid to late teens. Which placed the The Beatles in today's boy band category. I'm talking about the music of the day shortly after they hit. I remember it well and my impression is to a large degree they didn't create the crest rather they often rode on the top of the wave.

I guess my only point is for those too young to remember I think they have the impression The Beatles came along and there was nothing before or after. My memory is there were others virtually as large (at their own time) even during. I know their records were a small portion of my collection and radio air time. Of which Sweet Pea holds the fondest memory... first dance at the swim team awards. Perhaps followed by Wild Thing. :) 

| 
|
|
|
post #11 of 162 Old 02-01-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 102
The best site on the net for news about anything The Beatles related since 2008 is; WogBlog

Same guy started a Beatles Video of the Day blog in early December 2013.

Beatles Video of The Day is a blog which is going to try and publish at least one Beatles or solo-Beatles or Beatles-related video every day. The videos will mostly be from YouTube, and we are trying to highlight rarities which may otherwise have escaped you. It's a jungle out there, let us be you Beatles guide through it.

The Beatles' company Apple, TV companies, movie companies and the record companies around the world responsible for releasing Beatles and solo music and films are all monitoring YouTube closely, so videos will appear and they will disappear. Some videos will be inaccessible in various countries due to restrictions applied by record companies.

In addition; The Beatles.com

The guy who DJ before McCartney Live concerts has mad a Beatles/McCartney mixtape of the music he plays; DJ Chris Holmes' Beatles-Wings-Paul McCartney mixtape
Here is four years of my Beatles/macca mixes.
I am the opening act for Paul McCartney.
This is a collection of some of my favorite remixes I've made over the 4 years touring with Paul.
post #12 of 162 Old 02-02-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink 
We're starting to worry about you, Rez
Be concerned; be vewy, vewy concerned...

post #13 of 162 Old 02-02-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 386
I remember my mom seeing them on Ed Sullivan, and saying "that hair!". smile.gif
post #14 of 162 Old 02-02-2014, 11:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Be concerned; be vewy, vewy concerned...
LOL....nice one, sir.tongue.gif

post #15 of 162 Old 02-04-2014, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 244
I distinctly remember laying on my parents living room floor, my dog curled up next to me, and watching all three Sullivan performances. Totally mesmerized and wasn't the same after the first night. A few years later a buddy and me snagged some tickets to the August 1966 performance at Candlestick. Couldn't hear and could hardly see anything but it was cool none-the-less. Left the show and ran into a bunch of freaks standing around a multi-colored bus. Got on the bus and never left wink.gif
post #16 of 162 Old 02-04-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

I distinctly remember laying on my parents living room floor, my dog curled up next to me, and watching all three Sullivan performances. Totally mesmerized and wasn't the same after the first night. A few years later a buddy and me snagged some tickets to the August 1966 performance at Candlestick. Couldn't hear and could hardly see anything but it was cool none-the-less. Left the show and ran into a bunch of freaks standing around a multi-colored bus. Got on the bus and never left wink.gif
Now THAT is what I call a story....wink.gif

post #17 of 162 Old 02-04-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 318
I was just as excited as everyone to see them. I was sitting on the living room floor staring at the TV while my step-father bitched about the simplicity of the music and the long hair. Shocking! biggrin.gif

But what really ties me to that time; just fifteen days later Cassius Clay fought Sonny Liston for Liston's title. Boxing was forever changed. I picked Sonny and lost a dollar. mad.gif
post #18 of 162 Old 02-04-2014, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Just saw some pics where the fantastic four posed with Clay (Ali); don't think I've seen those before. I previously mentioned they were just before my time, so never got into them. But I will say their sound improved as time went on...their stuff on Sullivan was brutal.

post #19 of 162 Old 02-04-2014, 05:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

I picked Sonny and lost a dollar. mad.gif
EVERYONE picked Sonny.
I can remember vividly the hateful comments about the "uppity n____r" around my parents' house.rolleyes.gif

Quote:

But I will say their sound improved as time went on...their stuff on Sullivan was brutal.
I picked up the remastered big box set that came out recently and it just sounds terrific.smile.gif

post #20 of 162 Old 02-04-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

:
I picked up the remastered big box set that came out recently and it just sounds terrific.smile.gif

When the remasters came out I posted about how good they sounded, and got bashed on AVS. But for me, they showed how good a band they were even in the beginning. Being able to separate John and George's guitars was a revelation for me. as was Ringo's drumming-the guy was good! Course its not all the remasters-my sound system is a tad better now than it was in the junior high days.smile.gif

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #21 of 162 Old 02-04-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Has their non-TV stuff been transferred to hi-def yet? I would most definitely watch it...

post #22 of 162 Old 02-04-2014, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Growing up I had a girlfriend who was a hardcore Beatle fan (whose girlfriend wasn't back in the day wink.gif). She had a cousin in the UK who sent her the Beatles for Sale album which I think was released as Rubber Soul here. I found it the other day behind my "butchered meat" album. I guess I forgot to give it back wink.gif Years later I had another friend who bought all of the half-speed (remember those?) Beatle albums. She let me borrow them (had to wear cotton gloves to handle them rolleyes.gif) and copy them to high quality metal tapes. Apparently the albums were re-mastered in the same order (release date and tracks) as they were in the UK. I've only played them a couple of times and always wanted to transfer them to CD's before the tapes degrade. Never got around to that project but now that I'm getting all tingly about the Beatles again this might be a good time to figure out how to do that.
post #23 of 162 Old 02-04-2014, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Growing up I had a girlfriend who was a hardcore Beatle fan (whose girlfriend wasn't back in the day wink.gif). She had a cousin in the UK who sent her the Beatles for Sale album which I think was released as Rubber Soul here. I found it the other day behind my "butchered meat" album. I guess I forgot to give it back wink.gif Years later I had another friend who bought all of the half-speed (remember those?) Beatle albums. She let me borrow them (had to wear cotton gloves to handle them rolleyes.gif) and copy them to high quality metal tapes. Apparently the albums were re-mastered in the same order (release date and tracks) as they were in the UK. I've only played them a couple of times and always wanted to transfer them to CD's before the tapes degrade. Never got around to that project but now that I'm getting all tingly about the Beatles again this might be a good time to figure out how to do that.

of course, you will be running an extra set do duplicates of these tapes for your friendly neighbor?

neflixis our nemesis
post #24 of 162 Old 02-04-2014, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

all week, letterman, still at the Ed Sullivan theater, wii have different guest artists each night covering a Beatle song

tonight is sting

p.s. rumors that paul and ringo appear on friday

neflixis our nemesis
post #25 of 162 Old 02-04-2014, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

of course, you will be running an extra set do duplicates of these tapes for your friendly neighbor?

I just need to figure out how to do this. I've got a good tape deck (hardly used) so it's just a matter of time and motivation. But yes neighbor, you'd be on my list wink.gif
post #26 of 162 Old 02-05-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

In college, I worked all four years as a part-time DJ (usually 1-3 hours per day during "free time") for the Purdue radio station (for fun, not a paid gig). We got lots of multiple demo records as well as regular records (45s) at the station, so I latched onto one copy of all of the extras. In the pre-Apple days, they recorded on several labels. I also bought nearly all of their LPs, but unfortunately not all. However, I do have a complete set of Beatles' CDs with every song they recorded/released including the "regular" albums, the singles that weren't on albums, and the other anthology-type CDs. Color me a long-time Beatles FANatic. smile.gif
post #27 of 162 Old 02-05-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^ nice. Makes me wish I hadn't given my turntable to my daughter. Might have to justify another "toy" purchase for Dad biggrin.gif
BoilerJim likes this.
post #28 of 162 Old 02-05-2014, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I have all the original albums, but no plans to buy a turntable. Heard that vinyl sounds alot better.. I have the butcher album on cd. Have the vinyl but like others, ripped the cover off to see if I got the one with the new cover glues over old cover..mad.gif

post #29 of 162 Old 02-05-2014, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Like so many other people here, I also had all the original US releases back in the 60s.
In the 80s, I was fortunate to own the Mobile Fidelity Beatles box set, that sounded wonderfully .
And when CDs came along, I'm sure many of us dumped our records , and bought our " perfect sound forever " Beatles CDs.
We also got rid of our turntables. We forgot how good vinyl can sound.

Fast forward to the present. This past holiday season my kids gave me a turntable as a gift.
A Rega RP 1, and some records, including the 2009 remaster Abbey Road. I'm playing it through a Yamaha rxv 1020 receiver , and B&W
speakers. All I can say is wow! The vinyl sounded so damn good! The sound was warm,involving,with a beautiful soundstage .
I also have an Oppo 103 player, directly connected via HDMI to the Yamaha( which is set to Pure Direct).
I then put on a Rubber Soul from the new US box set. And it sounded very good,actually it came very close to vinyl.

All in all, in general, I think vinyl does The Beatles a bit more sonic justice . The new CDs do come very close.
And I've become a vinyl/turntable lover once again.
As Neil Young is fond of saying"Because sound matters"
post #30 of 162 Old 02-05-2014, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Absolutely agree about vinyl. The warmth and presence just can't be beat. Especially if it was mastered well. Some of the Japanese imports (I have a really nice Rolling Stones boxed set vinyl, half speed) sound fantastic. I have a rather large vinyl collection from the 60's just sitting in the closet gathering dust. I've often thought about getting one of those USB turntables with built-in amp (I think) to transfer some of my vinyl to digital.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page