Super Bowl 2014 will broadcast in 4K Ultra High Definition - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-31-2014, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 82
CBS plans to use six Ultra High Definition (UHD) cameras to broadcast Super Bowl XLVII, able to capture video up to 500 frames per second, providing a very clear, HD picture.
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/34853/super-bowl-2014-will-broadcast-in-4k-ultra-high-definition/index.html

I thought FOX was broadcasting the game in 720P.
Maybe I missed something. Is this a joke?

Ursa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2014, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 41
FOX has domestic broadcast rights this year. The US public at large will get to see the SB on FOX, and only on FOX. I don' think its a joke per se though. Each year one of the other two broadcasters does the international broadcast. I bet its CBS this year and they are using the opportunity to test out their 4k gear. Downscaled for pretty much everyone by the technicians and a few execs though.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Hmmm. It looks like FOX is broadcasting to Europe...
Fox International Channels will broadcast Super Bowl XLVIII live on its channels in Europe for the first time.
http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2014/01/23/fox-channels-to-broadcast-super-bowl/[/SIZE][/SIZE]
Old 01-31-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1990 Post(s)
Liked: 1363
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa99 View Post

CBS plans to use six Ultra High Definition (UHD) cameras to broadcast Super Bowl XLVII, able to capture video up to 500 frames per second, providing a very clear, HD picture.
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/34853/super-bowl-2014-will-broadcast-in-4k-ultra-high-definition/index.html
I would LOVE to see this SB in UHD on a 100" screen!cool.gifcool.gif

Only girly-men push The Red Button.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hmmm. It looks like FOX is broadcasting to Europe...
Fox International Channels will broadcast Super Bowl XLVIII live on its channels in Europe for the first time.
http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2014/01/23/fox-channels-to-broadcast-super-bowl/[/SIZE][/SIZE]

It used to be that one of the other SB broadcasters would produce the international broadcast (I remember Troy Aikman talking about doing it, and dumbing down the commentary for an audience that doesn't watch much football). But, that may have changed. Which makes this rather odd IMO.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

I thought FOX was broadcasting the game in 720P.
Maybe I missed something. Is this a joke?

Ursa
The gist of a thread I started recently, "4k cameras for sports productions," was that these cameras can be used but with captured images downconverted for standard HD delivery to homes. Broadcasters can use captured 4k images to zoom in or cut out parts of the 4k for 720p/1080 delivery. The ~500 fps optional camera feature can be used for slow motion delivery.. Some of the early sublinks in that thread are to Sony sites that detail such 4k camera use. 720p networks, of course, can routinely use standard 1080p cameras--also used for 1080i delivery--but with downconverted images.

I'll pass on CBS's plans for potential delivery--or what ever mix up has occurred. -- John
Old 02-03-2014, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post

It used to be that one of the other SB broadcasters would produce the international broadcast (I remember Troy Aikman talking about doing it, and dumbing down the commentary for an audience that doesn't watch much football). But, that may have changed. Which makes this rather odd IMO.

NFL Network has produced the international Super Bowl feed the last few years, with this year being no exception. Bob Papa and Charles Davis handled the English language commentary this year (Papa has done the world feed play-by-play for the last several years).
Old 02-03-2014, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agus0103 View Post

NFL Network has produced the international Super Bowl feed the last few years, with this year being no exception. Bob Papa and Charles Davis handled the English language commentary this year (Papa has done the world feed play-by-play for the last several years).

But, I thought Goodell wanted to expand the game internationally tongue.gif
Old 02-06-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 166
They mean Superbowl XLIX and it's in 2015? right? and that will be NBC's broadcasting

Superbown XLVII was last year, and this year was FOX transmitting..

Who writes these articles?

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13