Super Bowl Sets Another Ratings Record - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 02-04-2014, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 5,113
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 1622

The Super Bowl once again proved to be the most popular TV program in US history. With a record 111.5 million viewers tuning in, the matchup between the victorious Seattle Seahawks and the Denver Broncos proved more popular than anything that came before it.

 

This year's Super Bowl set a US record for viewership

 

Quote:
"The Seattle victory eclipsed the 111.3 million viewers who watched the 2012 Super Bowl between the New York Giants and New England Patriots, according to the Nielsen company. Until last year's game dipped slightly to 108.7 million, the Super Bowl had set ratings records for the previous three years in a row." source: Associated Press/Fox News

 

The Super Bowl is such an important event in the TV viewing landscape, 1/3 of new TV buyers cite it as a factor in their purchase. In the past four years, three of the all-time most-viewed broadcasts in the US were of the Super Bowl. The only TV show to even enjoy similar popularity in North America was the final episode of M*A*S*H, which drew 105 million viewers.  

 

Like AVS Forum on Facebook

Follow AVS Forum on Twitter

+1 AVS Forum on Google+


Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
imagic is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 02-05-2014, 05:55 AM
 
MDA400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Didn't feel like it was worth the 111.5 million people watching since it was a blowout beyond all reason. I helped my father build a basic DIY home theater for my grandparents to watch the game on and them broncos give me a lackluster, preseason performance (maybe not even), super bowl. Not to mention a half-time show that in my opinon, was one of the worst compilation of music genre's I could have witnessed.

When you are in the super bowl, you should have two teams that are the season's cream of the crop, but it looked like Manning was checking his line too much and I'm standing with the theory that all good quarterbacks don't wear gloves because he was throwin' that ball towards a Seahawks player every other down.

Anyways, that's definitely more viewers than sports like wrestling can claim to have.
MDA400 is offline  
post #3 of 19 Old 02-05-2014, 06:10 AM
Thread Ender
 
WS65711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Covington, LA OTA & Charter CableCard
Posts: 4,120
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDA400 View Post

.... it looked like Manning was checking his line too much and I'm standing with the theory that all good quarterbacks don't wear gloves because he was throwin' that ball towards a Seahawks player every other down.

Yeah, Peyton was throwing some "Air Balls"... and Flea was playing some "Air Guitar" . . . rolleyes.gif

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
WS65711 is offline  
post #4 of 19 Old 02-05-2014, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mr. wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: land of the pumas
Posts: 3,801
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 47
you sure those weren't the ratings for the puppy bowl?

that was a closer game
10aosmer likes this.

neflixis our nemesis
mr. wally is offline  
post #5 of 19 Old 02-05-2014, 06:55 AM
Senior Member
 
Taranteacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Though I badly wanted to watch it, I couldn't. Caught a glimpse here and there just for score updates. Good thing I couldn't since it was all but one-sided... Congrats to all hawks fans... what a massacre!

Seriously though, this is the one event that almost had me subscribe to HD satellite TV a couple Super Bowls back, LOL!
Taranteacher is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old 02-05-2014, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
Kascnef82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I didn't watch the MASH finale since i was a baby but my dad did when he dated my mom (now separated). This was back when cable tv was evolving and the vhs was the dvr of its time. Back then word of mouth was by phone snail mail and printed media. That event beat out every other major live event and remains the only scripted show to score a high rating and market share. I did watch the entire game on sunday. Commercials were soso but the game was great. Halftime was good. Wonder if next year's big game will eclipse the record.
Kascnef82 is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 02-05-2014, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
colour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Fenton, Mo.
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kascnef82 View Post

Commercials were soso but the game was great. Halftime was good. Wonder if next year's big game will eclipse the record.

Really? The reason so many people tuned in was due to the fact that it was expected to be very good game between 2 teams with the best records. It's never a good game when it's a blowout. Seattle isn't that good, Denver was just that bad. It was also expected to have better commercials this year and that didn't happen either, It was just an all around bad Superbowl starting with an opera sung anthem, a boring and bad game, a boring halftime and lousy commercials.
colour is offline  
post #8 of 19 Old 02-05-2014, 10:18 AM
Senior Member
 
BNestico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Elysburg, Pennsylvania
Posts: 337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Ok, so Denver had one lousy game against one of the best defenses in modern football and all of a sudden they're terrible? I guess everyone forgot about the fact that they scored more points than any team in history and Manning had the best season a quarterback has ever had, ever? Lots of people have short memories. If they played that game again in two weeks that wouldn't be another blowout.

Panasonic P60U54
Pioneer VSX-1122 K
Polk Audio RTi8's, CSi5, RTi6's, OWM3's
SVSound PC12 Plus, PC Ultra (12")
PS3, PS2
BNestico is offline  
post #9 of 19 Old 02-05-2014, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
djb5f's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNestico View Post

Ok, so Denver had one lousy game against one of the best defenses in modern football and all of a sudden they're terrible? I guess everyone forgot about the fact that they scored more points than any team in history and Manning had the
best season a quarterback has ever had, ever? Lots of people have short memories. If they played that game again in two weeks that wouldn't be another blowout.

Denver is very good and very talented but "Playoff Peyton" showed up again. Now, the problems for Denver were across the board but as cerebral as a QB as Peyton is, he plays tight in big games. Maybe, he overthinks it. i can't think of another QB with as wide of a gap in regular season (extradonary) and post-season (average) as him.

Seattle is very good but I think people are overhyping them based on one game's result. They are lethal at home but looked very pedestrian on the road until the SB that is. They'll be in the mix again next year of course, but let's not go overboard on dynasty. Also, that Defense is young and will be hit by free agency soon.
djb5f is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old 02-05-2014, 11:06 AM
Member
 
bullpuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 49
As a Sea-Hawks fan i am disappointed because i was hoping Broncos would remain scoreless to the end of the game lol................when they got those 8 points i fell back in my seat saying why dear lord.
bullpuss is offline  
post #11 of 19 Old 02-05-2014, 12:06 PM
Member
 
kauaidoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The only highlight of the Super Bowl,IMO was the Half time.
kauaidoug is offline  
post #12 of 19 Old 02-05-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
philw1776's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Back in New Hampshire
Posts: 1,361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 76
"Playoff Peyton" always scores a garbage time TD. That is unless it's a Pick 6 TD like in the Saints SB win.

Congrats to the Seahawks, Coach Carroll and the organization for a great win.
Demolition Man likes this.
philw1776 is online now  
post #13 of 19 Old 02-05-2014, 08:54 PM
Newbie
 
amscray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
"Seattle is very good but I think people are overhyping them based on one game's result. They are lethal at home but looked very pedestrian on the road until the SB that is."

The best road record in the NFL last season was 6-2 and was shared by 5 teams, including Seattle---is that pedestrian?
amscray is offline  
post #14 of 19 Old 02-05-2014, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
seatacboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by amscray View Post

"Seattle is very good but I think people are overhyping them based on one game's result. They are lethal at home but looked very pedestrian on the road until the SB that is." The best road record in the NFL last season was 6-2 and was shared by 5 teams, including Seattle---is that pedestrian?

Agree with this response - the Seattle Seahawks truly earned their Super Bowl victory.
seatacboy is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old 02-06-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DrLar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaidoug View Post

The only highlight of the Super Bowl,IMO was the Half time.

I disagree, it was boring for me, and the RHCP band only sang a couple of lines?

I would have hated to have my 4 million commercial in the 3rd and 4th quarters, nobody was watching them, they were just background noise at that moment.

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
DrLar is offline  
post #16 of 19 Old 02-06-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tleavit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver, Wa
Posts: 1,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDA400 View Post

Didn't feel like it was worth the 111.5 million people watching since it was a blowout beyond all reason. I helped my father build a basic DIY home theater for my grandparents to watch the game on and them broncos give me a lackluster, preseason performance (maybe not even), super bowl. Not to mention a half-time show that in my opinon, was one of the worst compilation of music genre's I could have witnessed.

When you are in the super bowl, you should have two teams that are the season's cream of the crop, but it looked like Manning was checking his line too much and I'm standing with the theory that all good quarterbacks don't wear gloves because he was throwin' that ball towards a Seahawks player every other down.

Anyways, that's definitely more viewers than sports like wrestling can claim to have.

I think people are underestimating the popularity of the Seahawks. After the 2006 super bowl, everyone but Steeler fans though the Seahawks lost due to the refs and possible NFL influence (small market.. bla bla bla). We had one of the best offenses of all time against one of the best defenses of all time period, this is why it was so popular. There was also the fact that the Hawks are a young team full of near-cast outs who were told they couldn't make it in the NFL (as you know, most of them are making $600K a year) so it was a great "come back kid" story. If you didn't notice during the superbowl, the 12th man *was* there and even the announcers made comments like "this is the loudest superbowl in history", People in this thread can knock the Seahawks and I would say they are biased in some way. The Seahawks have a *historically* great defense and people are already talking about a possible "Dynasty". Now, I'm not sure about that statement since the Hawks will have to deal with real salaries soon.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke
tleavit is offline  
post #17 of 19 Old 02-06-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
humdinger70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
"Playoff Peyton"? I don't think so, it was those orange uniforms. They're 0-3 in the Super Bowl era wearing those unis (XII, XXI and now XLVIII). When they wore the blue/grey ones or white ones, they're 2-0 (XXXII and XXXIII).

To paraphrase Keith Olbermann: "Do not wear the orange uniforms. DO. NOT. WEAR. THE. ORANGE. UNIFORMS!!" (set to "Do not kick to Hester"). biggrin.gif
humdinger70 is offline  
post #18 of 19 Old 02-06-2014, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
djb5f's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by amscray View Post

"Seattle is very good but I think people are overhyping them based on one game's result. They are lethal at home but looked very pedestrian on the road until the SB that is."

The best road record in the NFL last season was 6-2 and was shared by 5 teams, including Seattle---is that pedestrian?

Fair enough, road record ended up being pretty good but were very fortunate to get some of those W's in lackluster performers against bad teams. The Rams and Texans come to mind.

Seattle will be in the mix again next year but I think folks are crowning them a little too fast for future years.
djb5f is offline  
post #19 of 19 Old 02-06-2014, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
philw1776's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Back in New Hampshire
Posts: 1,361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by tleavit View Post

I think people are underestimating the popularity of the Seahawks. After the 2006 super bowl, everyone but Steeler fans though the Seahawks lost due to the refs and possible NFL influence (small market.. bla bla bla). We had one of the best offenses of all time against one of the best defenses of all time period, this is why it was so popular. There was also the fact that the Hawks are a young team full of near-cast outs who were told they couldn't make it in the NFL (as you know, most of them are making $600K a year) so it was a great "come back kid" story. If you didn't notice during the superbowl, the 12th man *was* there and even the announcers made comments like "this is the loudest superbowl in history", People in this thread can knock the Seahawks and I would say they are biased in some way. The Seahawks have a *historically* great defense and people are already talking about a possible "Dynasty". Now, I'm not sure about that statement since the Hawks will have to deal with real salaries soon.

Yes. The SeaHags lost because of the refs. The great steelers QB had a QBR of 22 and the Steelers won because of the worst officiating ever in a SB.

Dynasty talk after ONE SB win is premature ejaculation of expectations.

But as others have said, you do not know how grueling a season you now face as SB champs with each & every opponent circling your game as their big game of the season to bring their best effort. There's a reason there's only been one back to back SB champ this century.
philw1776 is online now  
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off