Penny Dreadful --- Showtime in May - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 102Likes

post #361 of 462 Old 04-08-2016, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked: 952
Oh man, soooo ready for this to start up again, excellent show!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 462 Old 04-25-2016, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 757
new season starts up this Sunday!...really looking forward to seeing where they take things in Season 3...this and Game of Thrones airing at the same time, the TV gods are smiling down on us
post #363 of 462 Old 04-30-2016, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The season 3 premiere is available now on Amazon Prime, just finished watching it. Not sure if I'm not supposed to say anything until it airs or what the rules are here but for those who can't wait and have Amazon Prime, you can watch it now.
post #364 of 462 Old 04-30-2016, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokar View Post
The season 3 premiere is available now on Amazon Prime, just finished watching it. Not sure if I'm not supposed to say anything until it airs or what the rules are here but for those who can't wait and have Amazon Prime, you can watch it now.

The rule basically is premier air date on the mother channel. IOW, after it has aired on the main Showtime cable channel which is tomorrow night at 10:00 PM.
post #365 of 462 Old 05-02-2016, 01:03 AM

Looks to be an interesting season. I don't like having Patti Lupone back playing a different character even if they are related. I was as confused looking as Vanessa when she first saw her. Ethan's dad must be one evil bastard to kill a traincar worth of people just to see his son again. And I praise the heavens that we didn't see Dorian Gray at all, I can only hope it continues the rest of the season. Absolutely hated every second of his screen time last season, it had nothing to do with the season 2 plot at all.
post #366 of 462 Old 05-02-2016, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Dracula, even with a cold (raspy voice). What a blessing from Showtime. And now there's the good Dr. Jekyll, still more!--even without his grumpier side (yet), Dr. Hyde. Such riches. -- John
post #367 of 462 Old 05-02-2016, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 221
YAY! It's back and as good as ever. Wes Studi is a definite plus this season as is Patti Lupone as another of the Clayton clan. I loved the reveal about Renfield and Dracula at the end of the episode. I just hope that, unlike Once Upon a Time, Penny Dreadful doesn't bring in new mythic characters too frequently. That show got too out of control at some point. Can anyone explain why the hell Eva Green hasn't even gotten an Emmy nomination, let alone the award itself which she should already have?
shivaji likes this.
post #368 of 462 Old 05-02-2016, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked: 405
"I like what you did to this place."

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
post #369 of 462 Old 05-02-2016, 02:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
YAY! It's back and as good as ever. Wes Studi is a definite plus this season as is Patti Lupone as another of the Clayton clan. I loved the reveal about Renfield and Dracula at the end of the episode. I just hope that, unlike Once Upon a Time, Penny Dreadful doesn't bring in new mythic characters too frequently. That show got too out of control at some point. Can anyone explain why the hell Eva Green hasn't even gotten an Emmy nomination, let alone the award itself which she should already have?
Agreed! If any actress has produced a better body of work over the past few years than Eva Green's performances as Vanessa Ives, I'm at a loss to identify her. But it hasn't been just Green. The entire ensemble cast has done sterling work, thanks in large measure to terrific writing.
Keenan likes this.
post #370 of 462 Old 05-02-2016, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

It was a welcome surprise to see Wes Studi onboard. I haven't seen him regularly since he played Lt. Joe Leaphorn in the three mini-series which ran on PBS early in the century. The doctor that LuPone plays might need a seat belt, it's going to be a bumpy ride.
shivaji likes this.
post #371 of 462 Old 05-03-2016, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Now, that is how to resume a series. A great episode!
post #372 of 462 Old 05-04-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Agreed! If any actress has produced a better body of work over the past few years than Eva Green's performances as Vanessa Ives, I'm at a loss to identify her. But it hasn't been just Green. The entire ensemble cast has done sterling work, thanks in large measure to terrific writing.
Agree with all of you, the Emmy should have gone to Eva Green either of the last two years for her outstanding performances in this show, with Tatiana Maslany of Orphan Black also deserving.
Keenan, daryl zero and allargon like this.
post #373 of 462 Old 05-10-2016, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The cinematography and writing remains impressive--despite the subject matter. Watched them jump from a London setting (Dublin) to a southwestern U.S. mountain top (werewolf and native-American 'spirits' having a scenic conversation). There's two really violent group encounters: during a staged London murder attempt of a young woman, Frankenstein's angry 'assembled' woman and her friend slaughter participants; then our U.S.-visiting werewolf gets testy after playing the prisoner role too long, killing everyone around him. Renfield's here, too, assisting in a London doctor's office--apparently not eating insects--but sipping Dracula's blood. Dr. Jekyll experiments on patients at his well-stocked bedlam lair, injecting them with his magical potions. Looks like Showtime is marketing comics at its site, --- John

Last edited by John Mason; 05-16-2016 at 07:10 AM. Reason: typo
post #374 of 462 Old 05-10-2016, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Liked: 796
I am enjoying the show. Very well down on all parts: acting, writing and cinematography. Reminds me a bit of Deadwood in that way except supernatural with lots of dark scenes.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #375 of 462 Old 05-10-2016, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked: 952
While I do love the show to death, other then the break out scene from the girl being beaten, it is light on action and heavy on talking. Wish there was a little more action to this.

post #376 of 462 Old 05-10-2016, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
While I do love the show to death, other then the break out scene from the girl being beaten, it is light on action and heavy on talking. Wish there was a little more action to this.
I enjoy the talking and find the language pretty fun/interesting.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #377 of 462 Old 05-10-2016, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Just loved Sunday's episode and especially the reveal about who Dracula actually was. Wow, is he playing Vanessa or what? Obviously yon Zoologist doesn't go out in the daytime. One has to wonder under what circumstances this may occur to Vanessa. I continue to love Billie Piper's Lily. She just knocks it out the park every week. Her scene with Harry Treadaway (Frankenstein) was wonderful. This show is just so well written and performed every week.
post #378 of 462 Old 05-11-2016, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
Just loved Sunday's episode and especially the reveal about who Dracula actually was. Wow, is he playing Vanessa or what? Obviously yon Zoologist doesn't go out in the daytime.
Victorian vampires can go out in the daytime. They are just slower during the day.

It's modern vampires that burst into flames in direct sunlight.
post #379 of 462 Old 05-16-2016, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Familiars, says occult write-ups, can be foxes or other fuzzy creatures. But the one visiting Vanessa, at a mirrored fun house date, belongs to Dracula, now also known as mild-mannered, daylight-tripping, zoologist Dr. Sweet. Dracula's familiar made the mistake of licking her neck and reviving her repressed memories about torture in a padded cell. He discovers, during a painful 'meal', one shouldn't irritate Dracula.[BTW, we need a limerick, published in a red Gothic font, like those he recited in Vanessa's ears. Something like: "There once was a familiar from Dublin...."] And yes, that un-hygenic Renfield, at his desk, can be seen popping a fly into his mouth. See this detailed review(search familiar). -- John

Last edited by John Mason; 05-17-2016 at 10:59 AM. Reason: typo
post #380 of 462 Old 05-21-2016, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

The hot girl that was rescued from slaughter seems fimiliar. But I cannot pinpoint her.

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
post #381 of 462 Old 05-22-2016, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post
The hot girl that was rescued from slaughter seems fimiliar. But I cannot pinpoint her.
Jessica Barden

Jessica Barden according to imdb
Turrican4D likes this.
post #382 of 462 Old 05-22-2016, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by azada View Post
Jessica Barden

Jessica Barden according to imdb
Ahh, thanks, I knew her from this movie:

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
post #383 of 462 Old 05-22-2016, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 283
I'm glad this show came about, it's got me into reading some of the original Penny Dreadful stories, currently reading 'Varney the Vampire', it may be the longest book/story whatever you want to call it I've ever read, it's around 667,000 words and it meanders all over the place, but it is fun reading. I'm over half way through and I'm still not certain what is what, it's interesting reading either way.
post #384 of 462 Old 05-24-2016, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Vanessa, you go girl. She really grabbed the attention of that Lucifer/Dracula pair when she did her levitation/gibberish-talking thing. (Yes, it's no doubt carefully researched occult gibberish.) Thought for a while I was watching a classic B&W Ingmar Bergman film with the talking heads. Sort of jaw-dropping good--writing- and acting-wise. They outlined some faint color manipulation and single-set (padded cell) shooting during a brief post-show summary. Lucifer had his wife teach him facial makeup for Vanessa--oh my! Threatening to empty spooks from Vanessa's skull with a wood drill, skull-cracking and cutting out brain parts suggests they hadn't medically 'advanced' enough to separating brain halves quickly with lobotomies--more 20th century.-- John
post #385 of 462 Old 05-24-2016, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It really was a great episode, I was mesmerized throughout, I hardly blinked through the entire episode.
post #386 of 462 Old 05-24-2016, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I was somewhat confused by the guard being played by John Clare AKA "Frankenstein's Monster" which made me think part or all of her trance story was an hallucination.
post #387 of 462 Old 05-24-2016, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
I was somewhat confused by the guard being played by John Clare AKA "Frankenstein's Monster" which made me think part or all of her trance story was an hallucination.
I got the impression that he was real, maybe not the devil and Dracula parts. I thought it was who he really was, didn't his story fit pretty well with what he was experiencing in his own memories after getting off the boat and going home? I have no idea how he ended up with Frankenstein though.
post #388 of 462 Old 05-24-2016, 04:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1577 Post(s)
Liked: 895
^^^
We should assume that he died in order to wind up on Frankenstein's table, so him actually being Lucifer or Dracula seems impossible. The shrink said that Vanessa was projecting him as Lucifer because he was the only person she saw. That's not to say he might not have been "possessed" at those times, which could also be part of his story leading to death.

Anyhow my take on all that was that she may well have just hallucinated all of it. Being locked alone in a padded white cell for some months can do that.
post #389 of 462 Old 05-24-2016, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

My feeling is that the orderly was really John Claire (we still don't know his real name) prior to his death and reanimation. He spoke about he and his son building a ship model which was shown in a flashback that Claire had when he returned to his home in last week's show. As far as this episode goes, I was, at first, not thrilled with the premise and one location but as it went on with Lucifer and then Dracula paying Vanessa a call and her defiance towards both, I really appreciated it. Eva Green and Rory Kinnear put on a wonderful display of acting in a confined space.
Keenan likes this.
post #390 of 462 Old 05-24-2016, 11:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
We should assume that he died in order to wind up on Frankenstein's table,
Yes, I'm sure he ended up dead, even before she attacked him I thought it might turn out that she actually killed him. That would have been quite a twist. But I assume he tendered his resignation and then met with his demise later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page