The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon on NBC HD - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2014, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
skyehill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,993
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post

Yes, we should be talking about Jimmy. I do like the street interviews about fake news items. R.I.P. Uncle Frank.

And This Week in Unnecessary Censorship
skyehill is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-29-2014, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
qz3fwd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,956
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

....He always reminds me of one of those movies where a kid is trapped in an adult's body.

+1
qz3fwd is online now  
Old 03-29-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
skyehill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,993
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Loved seeing him perform with Russell Crowe the other night. Another reminder of why his show is the only one of its kind. Also loved the incredibly awkward interview with Bill Cosby and the hilarious interview with Joan Rivers.
skyehill is offline  
Old 04-22-2014, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Aliens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,937
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Aliens is offline  
Old 04-22-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
skyehill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,993
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Another great Brian Williams rap song, but what was even better was his interview afterwards. He came prepared. Freestyling with the Roots was as good as ever. Really loving this show.
skyehill is offline  
Old 04-22-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
David James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Longmont, CO
Posts: 1,945
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Jimmy runs hot or cold for me. I find some bit really clever and or funny. Others, not so much. But there are some consistent things that I just can't stand.

1. I hate the "banter" between him and his announcer. It comes off to me as self absorbed childish oh aren't we so clever gibberish.
2. I don't like his over the top gushing over many of his guests. When he's not OMG I'm the biggest of your fanboys, he's dominating the conversation, trying to figure out jokes instead of just doing an interview.

I think the comment about him being a kid trapped in an adults body is well put. When he grows up a little more, I think he could be very good.

At this point those items keep me from watching regularly, or cause me to turn off and go to bed), when I do.
David James is offline  
Old 04-22-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
skyehill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,993
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by David James View Post

Jimmy runs hot or cold for me. I find some bit really clever and or funny. Others, not so much. But there are some consistent things that I just can't stand.

1. I hate the "banter" between him and his announcer. It comes off to me as self absorbed childish oh aren't we so clever gibberish.
2. I don't like his over the top gushing over many of his guests. When he's not OMG I'm the biggest of your fanboys, he's dominating the conversation, trying to figure out jokes instead of just doing an interview.

I think the comment about him being a kid trapped in an adults body is well put. When he grows up a little more, I think he could be very good.

At this point those items keep me from watching regularly, or cause me to turn off and go to bed), when I do.

I like the banter with Steve. It's funny. I couldn't agree more with your second complaint. It's one of the reasons I think guests like being on the show, but it makes some interviews really hard to watch. Last night Brian Williams dominated the interview, which made it so good. It's not often someone shuts Jimmy up like that. Overall though it's just a really fun show.
skyehill is offline  
Old 06-16-2014, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
Maltby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Seattle
Posts: 727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Late to this, but having seen snippets of him recently, I have to say that Fallon's interviews are embarrassingly bad, hard to watch for any length of time. I don't understand how he has any guests at all.

The films of De Sica, of Welles, of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger made little money and endure as spiritual delights.
--David Mamet
Maltby is offline  
Old 06-16-2014, 11:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 11,513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltby View Post
I don't understand how he has any guests at all.
Eh? See all of the previous comments.

Which show would you rather be a guest on? One that was all fun and games and nice questions or one that involves being grilled about what you did that got in the news or with more repetitive questions from the marketing machine to promote your latest paycheck?


VisionOn is online now  
Old 06-17-2014, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hooked01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Agreed. There's probably booze and other "relaxants" in the green room, you're lobbed softball questions and get to play games instead of getting the third degree from the host.
hooked01 is offline  
Old 06-17-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
humdinger70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Ruh Roh, Brian Williams fans. There's a new rap mashup out there. Sir Mix A Lot's "Baby's Got Back", with several guest appearances.

Scott Pelley and Diane Sawyer are demanding equal time! (Well, maybe. )
humdinger70 is online now  
Old 06-18-2014, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
Maltby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Seattle
Posts: 727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
Eh? See all of the previous comments.

Which show would you rather be a guest on? One that was all fun and games and nice questions or one that involves being grilled about what you did that got in the news or with more repetitive questions from the marketing machine to promote your latest paycheck?
Ummm...a grilling from Jimmy K or David Letterman, yes, those have to be pretty nerve racking.

I would have thought that celebrities would be tired of the fawning and sucking up, and the ROFL at whatever mildly amusing comment they might make, and certainly not want it captured for posterity on national TV.

The films of De Sica, of Welles, of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger made little money and endure as spiritual delights.
--David Mamet
Maltby is offline  
Old 06-18-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
skyehill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,993
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I tune into late night TV to be entertained. Not to see someone get grilled. The Tonight Show with Leno was unwatchable to me. Now it's pretty much the only show that I can stand. Conan is OK some nights, but he still has the air of someone that's working on a show he never wanted.

I've given Seth Meyers a chance, but his show is 100 percent s*it. Late Night has always been a place where the hosts do wackier stuff, but Seth's show is incredibly by-the-numbers and boring. Do monologue. Walk to small desk. Make inane small talk with band. If Fred is with the band, call him a liar. Tell a "funny" anecdote about your real life. Do a bit off cue cards that leaves you behind the tiny desk that does absolutely nothing to engage the audience in the theater or at home. Awkwardly interview two guests and then bring out a music act. Bleh.

It's sad that The Tonight Show is doing more clever bits than Late Night, but to be fair Jimmy Fallon now owns late night. No one comes close to generating the viral videos that his show produces. Tough act for Seth to follow, I'm sure.
skyehill is offline  
Old 08-13-2014, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Morpheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montreal by day, Paris by night...
Posts: 6,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 341
After watching his bit from yesterday's Tonight Show, I can safely say that I won't bother watching Fallon again. Even under those circumstances (Robin Williams...), he had to make it about himself once again with his so-called impersonations... I already didn't like him much, but that was disgusting. With his fake tears he looked like the complete opposite of the great artist he was paying tribute to. I'll stick to Graham Norton for quality and fun.

Last edited by Morpheo; 08-13-2014 at 09:04 AM.
Morpheo is offline  
Old 10-31-2014, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
igreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson....in thirtyyears not one obscene word uttered from his mouth, not even in the monologue.Jay Leno as host of the Tonight show, not one obscene word uttered from his mouth, not even in the monologue. No need to bleeeep from either of their words in 52 years. Now, no talent Fallon, needing to rely on obscenity for his dull jokes andlack of wit, relies on obscenities and stupid games. How can Cason and Leno go 52 years and Fallon can barely go one show? How and why does this happen? No class, less talent.
dfergie likes this.
igreg is online now  
Old 10-31-2014, 01:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 7,347
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
I'm still watching Fallon, have since he debuted, but find myself deleting shows more often than watching them now. His talent, energy and some of the skits/games are pretty good fun but a bit repetitive. Band and music generally is hard to beat altho I prefer Shaffer's band (more about what they play) on Letterman. He seems so obviously insincere quite often is probably my biggest complaint but maybe I'm reading him wrong....but there's always been something about Fallon that has rubbed the wrong way since I first saw him on SNL.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz


lovinthehd is online now  
Old 10-31-2014, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Matt L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Flushing, MI
Posts: 4,960
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Carson was of a different generation, perhaps more genteel. We vastly disagree about Leno, I found him smarmy, disrespectful and condescending -- to say I disliked him intensly is a vast understatment. I still enjoy Fallon, I like his energy and enthusiasm. While I don't watch all the time I enjoy the show when I drop by.
Matt L is offline  
Old 11-02-2014, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
squeakybirnbaum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MO
Posts: 568
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post
The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson....in thirtyyears not one obscene word uttered from his mouth, not even in the monologue.Jay Leno as host of the Tonight show, not one obscene word uttered from his mouth, not even in the monologue. No need to bleeeep from either of their words in 52 years. Now, no talent Fallon, needing to rely on obscenity for his dull jokes andlack of wit, relies on obscenities and stupid games. How can Cason and Leno go 52 years and Fallon can barely go one show? How and why does this happen? No class, less talent.
People swear.. It happens.. Jay Leno appealed to old people who fell asleep with the TV on.. The loud bleep might have disturbed them and upset them therefore hurt his ratings.
squeakybirnbaum is offline  
Old 11-02-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
igreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeakybirnbaum View Post
People swear.. It happens.. Jay Leno appealed to old people who fell asleep with the TV on.. The loud bleep might have disturbed them and upset them therefore hurt his ratings.
Not that simple. It's insidious creeping of bleeping and dumbing down of comedy. Really picked with the advent of the reality shows. Leno beat Letterman in 18-49 demographic so you're off base there. Second, Letterman didn't need to be bleeped either. Further, what about Carson?

Last edited by igreg; 11-02-2014 at 09:23 AM.
igreg is online now  
Old 11-02-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 7,347
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post
The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson....in thirtyyears not one obscene word uttered from his mouth, not even in the monologue.Jay Leno as host of the Tonight show, not one obscene word uttered from his mouth, not even in the monologue. No need to bleeeep from either of their words in 52 years. Now, no talent Fallon, needing to rely on obscenity for his dull jokes andlack of wit, relies on obscenities and stupid games. How can Cason and Leno go 52 years and Fallon can barely go one show? How and why does this happen? No class, less talent.
I don't know what font/color you've got but with the skin I'm using it appears blank! Have to report that to the developer...

What's obscene, though? Suppression of language to me is obscene. One reason comedy in a club is so superior to the FCC-obscured stuff on American tv.

Besides...much more obscene stuff shown on your nightly network news.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz


lovinthehd is online now  
Old 11-02-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MSmith83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
He seems so obviously insincere quite often is probably my biggest complaint but maybe I'm reading him wrong....but there's always been something about Fallon that has rubbed the wrong way since I first saw him on SNL.
You mean Fallon is not sincere when he tells all of his guests that they're the best and that their crappy new movie is great a thousand times? I feel so deceived!
squeakybirnbaum likes this.
MSmith83 is offline  
Old 11-02-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 7,347
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post
You mean Fallon is not sincere when he tells all of his guests that they're the best and that their crappy new movie is great a thousand times? I feel so deceived!
Actually with some I think he is sincere, like a kid in a candy store sort of thing, with some it almost comes across as contemptuous.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz


lovinthehd is online now  
Old 11-02-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Aleron Ives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,022
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
What's obscene, though? Suppression of language to me is obscene. One reason comedy in a club is so superior to the FCC-obscured stuff on American tv. Besides...much more obscene stuff shown on your nightly network news.
It's all part of the double standard of propriety in American media that's encouraged by the FCC's arcane rules. Pretty much the only thing they don't forbid is violence, which is why most of those newscasts (and prime time shows) rely on the shock value of violence and gore to get ratings, since everything else is forbidden, even if it would be arguably less obscene to have nudity or profanity than the gruesome scenes which play out on dozens of crime dramas every week.
Aleron Ives is offline  
Old 11-02-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 7,347
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
It's all part of the double standard of propriety in American media that's encouraged by the FCC's arcane rules. Pretty much the only thing they don't forbid is violence, which is why most of those newscasts (and prime time shows) rely on the shock value of violence and gore to get ratings, since everything else is forbidden, even if it would be arguably less obscene to have nudity or profanity than the gruesome scenes which play out on dozens of crime dramas every week.
It ain't just the FCC. Customs used to require a form generally called the obscenity form (CF5391 IIRC) filed with the importation of films (and media in general). I once got grilled by a couple of Customs agents for signing one for my client (the Los Angeles Intl Film Festival-FILMEX) after they had seized the film at another festival's showing...they tracked the importation back and took depositions from myself and the client. What a ridiculous waste of government....the film today wouldn't even raise an eyebrow (but probably won't be shown on broadcast television in the US anytime soon either). I had to sign one for the importation of Queen's Fat Bottomed Girls photo shoot proofs, too....and the inspectors used that as an excuse to make sure they all agreed

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz


lovinthehd is online now  
Old 11-05-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rdclark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Philadelphia Vicinity
Posts: 4,176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post
Not that simple. It's insidious creeping of bleeping and dumbing down of comedy. Really picked with the advent of the reality shows. Leno beat Letterman in 18-49 demographic so you're off base there. Second, Letterman didn't need to be bleeped either. Further, what about Carson?
Don't confuse "comedy" with "TV comedy." Did you ever see Carson's Vegas act?

The change is simply that audiences are more sophisticated now and know how people -- and particularly professional comedians -- actually talk. Pretending that blue language doesn't exist is stupid. Bleeping it out on network TV is also stupid, but at least it makes clear where the stupidity lies.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

 

rdclark is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off