post #151 of 164 Old 03-25-2014, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post

Yes, we should be talking about Jimmy. I do like the street interviews about fake news items. R.I.P. Uncle Frank.

And This Week in Unnecessary Censorship
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 164 Old 03-29-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

....He always reminds me of one of those movies where a kid is trapped in an adult's body.

+1
post #153 of 164 Old 03-29-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Loved seeing him perform with Russell Crowe the other night. Another reminder of why his show is the only one of its kind. Also loved the incredibly awkward interview with Bill Cosby and the hilarious interview with Joan Rivers.
post #154 of 164 Old 04-22-2014, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 317
post #155 of 164 Old 04-22-2014, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Another great Brian Williams rap song, but what was even better was his interview afterwards. He came prepared. Freestyling with the Roots was as good as ever. Really loving this show.
post #156 of 164 Old 04-22-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Jimmy runs hot or cold for me. I find some bit really clever and or funny. Others, not so much. But there are some consistent things that I just can't stand.

1. I hate the "banter" between him and his announcer. It comes off to me as self absorbed childish oh aren't we so clever gibberish.
2. I don't like his over the top gushing over many of his guests. When he's not OMG I'm the biggest of your fanboys, he's dominating the conversation, trying to figure out jokes instead of just doing an interview.

I think the comment about him being a kid trapped in an adults body is well put. When he grows up a little more, I think he could be very good.

At this point those items keep me from watching regularly, or cause me to turn off and go to bed), when I do.
post #157 of 164 Old 04-22-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David James View Post

Jimmy runs hot or cold for me. I find some bit really clever and or funny. Others, not so much. But there are some consistent things that I just can't stand.

1. I hate the "banter" between him and his announcer. It comes off to me as self absorbed childish oh aren't we so clever gibberish.
2. I don't like his over the top gushing over many of his guests. When he's not OMG I'm the biggest of your fanboys, he's dominating the conversation, trying to figure out jokes instead of just doing an interview.

I think the comment about him being a kid trapped in an adults body is well put. When he grows up a little more, I think he could be very good.

At this point those items keep me from watching regularly, or cause me to turn off and go to bed), when I do.

I like the banter with Steve. It's funny. I couldn't agree more with your second complaint. It's one of the reasons I think guests like being on the show, but it makes some interviews really hard to watch. Last night Brian Williams dominated the interview, which made it so good. It's not often someone shuts Jimmy up like that. Overall though it's just a really fun show.
post #158 of 164 Old 06-16-2014, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Late to this, but having seen snippets of him recently, I have to say that Fallon's interviews are embarrassingly bad, hard to watch for any length of time. I don't understand how he has any guests at all.

The films of De Sica, of Welles, of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger made little money and endure as spiritual delights.
--David Mamet
post #159 of 164 Old 06-16-2014, 10:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltby View Post
I don't understand how he has any guests at all.
Eh? See all of the previous comments.

Which show would you rather be a guest on? One that was all fun and games and nice questions or one that involves being grilled about what you did that got in the news or with more repetitive questions from the marketing machine to promote your latest paycheck?

post #160 of 164 Old 06-17-2014, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Agreed. There's probably booze and other "relaxants" in the green room, you're lobbed softball questions and get to play games instead of getting the third degree from the host.
post #161 of 164 Old 06-17-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Ruh Roh, Brian Williams fans. There's a new rap mashup out there. Sir Mix A Lot's "Baby's Got Back", with several guest appearances.

Scott Pelley and Diane Sawyer are demanding equal time! (Well, maybe. )
post #162 of 164 Old 06-18-2014, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
Eh? See all of the previous comments.

Which show would you rather be a guest on? One that was all fun and games and nice questions or one that involves being grilled about what you did that got in the news or with more repetitive questions from the marketing machine to promote your latest paycheck?
Ummm...a grilling from Jimmy K or David Letterman, yes, those have to be pretty nerve racking.

I would have thought that celebrities would be tired of the fawning and sucking up, and the ROFL at whatever mildly amusing comment they might make, and certainly not want it captured for posterity on national TV.

The films of De Sica, of Welles, of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger made little money and endure as spiritual delights.
--David Mamet
post #163 of 164 Old 06-18-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I tune into late night TV to be entertained. Not to see someone get grilled. The Tonight Show with Leno was unwatchable to me. Now it's pretty much the only show that I can stand. Conan is OK some nights, but he still has the air of someone that's working on a show he never wanted.

I've given Seth Meyers a chance, but his show is 100 percent s*it. Late Night has always been a place where the hosts do wackier stuff, but Seth's show is incredibly by-the-numbers and boring. Do monologue. Walk to small desk. Make inane small talk with band. If Fred is with the band, call him a liar. Tell a "funny" anecdote about your real life. Do a bit off cue cards that leaves you behind the tiny desk that does absolutely nothing to engage the audience in the theater or at home. Awkwardly interview two guests and then bring out a music act. Bleh.

It's sad that The Tonight Show is doing more clever bits than Late Night, but to be fair Jimmy Fallon now owns late night. No one comes close to generating the viral videos that his show produces. Tough act for Seth to follow, I'm sure.
post #164 of 164 Old 08-13-2014, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 306
After watching his bit from yesterday's Tonight Show, I can safely say that I won't bother watching Fallon again. Even under those circumstances (Robin Williams...), he had to make it about himself once again with his so-called impersonations... I already didn't like him much, but that was disgusting. With his fake tears he looked like the complete opposite of the great artist he was paying tribute to. I'll stick to Graham Norton for quality and fun.

Last edited by Morpheo; 08-13-2014 at 08:04 AM.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page