AVS Forum banner

The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon on NBC HD

8K views 178 replies 46 participants last post by  igreg 
#1 ·
So what did everyone think?

I enjoyed the show, Jimmy did a good job opening night and while a bit or two seemed a bit forced all in all a good start in my opinion. I like the roof top set with U2.

#156 ·
Jimmy runs hot or cold for me. I find some bit really clever and or funny. Others, not so much. But there are some consistent things that I just can't stand.

1. I hate the "banter" between him and his announcer. It comes off to me as self absorbed childish oh aren't we so clever gibberish.

2. I don't like his over the top gushing over many of his guests. When he's not OMG I'm the biggest of your fanboys, he's dominating the conversation, trying to figure out jokes instead of just doing an interview.

I think the comment about him being a kid trapped in an adults body is well put. When he grows up a little more, I think he could be very good.

At this point those items keep me from watching regularly, or cause me to turn off and go to bed), when I do.

#157 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by David James  /t/1518484/the-tonight-show-starring-jimmy-fallon-on-nbc-hd/150#post_24635686

Jimmy runs hot or cold for me. I find some bit really clever and or funny. Others, not so much. But there are some consistent things that I just can't stand.

1. I hate the "banter" between him and his announcer. It comes off to me as self absorbed childish oh aren't we so clever gibberish.

2. I don't like his over the top gushing over many of his guests. When he's not OMG I'm the biggest of your fanboys, he's dominating the conversation, trying to figure out jokes instead of just doing an interview.

I think the comment about him being a kid trapped in an adults body is well put. When he grows up a little more, I think he could be very good.

At this point those items keep me from watching regularly, or cause me to turn off and go to bed), when I do.

I like the banter with Steve. It's funny. I couldn't agree more with your second complaint. It's one of the reasons I think guests like being on the show, but it makes some interviews really hard to watch. Last night Brian Williams dominated the interview, which made it so good. It's not often someone shuts Jimmy up like that. Overall though it's just a really fun show.

#158 ·
Late to this, but having seen snippets of him recently, I have to say that Fallon's interviews are embarrassingly bad, hard to watch for any length of time. I don't understand how he has any guests at all.

#159 ·
I don't understand how he has any guests at all.
Eh? See all of the previous comments.

Which show would you rather be a guest on? One that was all fun and games and nice questions or one that involves being grilled about what you did that got in the news or with more repetitive questions from the marketing machine to promote your latest paycheck?

#163 ·
I tune into late night TV to be entertained. Not to see someone get grilled. The Tonight Show with Leno was unwatchable to me. Now it's pretty much the only show that I can stand. Conan is OK some nights, but he still has the air of someone that's working on a show he never wanted.

I've given Seth Meyers a chance, but his show is 100 percent s*it. Late Night has always been a place where the hosts do wackier stuff, but Seth's show is incredibly by-the-numbers and boring. Do monologue. Walk to small desk. Make inane small talk with band. If Fred is with the band, call him a liar. Tell a "funny" anecdote about your real life. Do a bit off cue cards that leaves you behind the tiny desk that does absolutely nothing to engage the audience in the theater or at home. Awkwardly interview two guests and then bring out a music act. Bleh.

It's sad that The Tonight Show is doing more clever bits than Late Night, but to be fair Jimmy Fallon now owns late night. No one comes close to generating the viral videos that his show produces. Tough act for Seth to follow, I'm sure.

#164 · (Edited)
After watching his bit from yesterday's Tonight Show, I can safely say that I won't bother watching Fallon again. Even under those circumstances (Robin Williams...), he had to make it about himself once again with his so-called impersonations... I already didn't like him much, but that was disgusting. With his fake tears he looked like the complete opposite of the great artist he was paying tribute to. I'll stick to Graham Norton for quality and fun.

#165 ·
The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson....in thirtyyears not one obscene word uttered from his mouth, not even in the monologue.Jay Leno as host of the Tonight show, not one obscene word uttered from his mouth, not even in the monologue. No need to bleeeep from either of their words in 52 years. Now, no talent Fallon, needing to rely on obscenity for his dull jokes andlack of wit, relies on obscenities and stupid games. How can Cason and Leno go 52 years and Fallon can barely go one show? How and why does this happen? No class, less talent.

#166 ·
I'm still watching Fallon, have since he debuted, but find myself deleting shows more often than watching them now. His talent, energy and some of the skits/games are pretty good fun but a bit repetitive. Band and music generally is hard to beat altho I prefer Shaffer's band (more about what they play) on Letterman. He seems so obviously insincere quite often is probably my biggest complaint but maybe I'm reading him wrong....but there's always been something about Fallon that has rubbed the wrong way since I first saw him on SNL.

#171 ·
He seems so obviously insincere quite often is probably my biggest complaint but maybe I'm reading him wrong....but there's always been something about Fallon that has rubbed the wrong way since I first saw him on SNL.
You mean Fallon is not sincere when he tells all of his guests that they're the best and that their crappy new movie is great a thousand times? I feel so deceived! :)

#167 ·
Carson was of a different generation, perhaps more genteel. We vastly disagree about Leno, I found him smarmy, disrespectful and condescending -- to say I disliked him intensly is a vast understatment. I still enjoy Fallon, I like his energy and enthusiasm. While I don't watch all the time I enjoy the show when I drop by.

#179 ·
Chaos, Comedy, and 'Crying Rooms': Inside Jimmy Fallon's 'Tonight Show'

After liking most all the late night hosts; i.e., Leno, Letterman; Ferguson; O’ Brien; Kilborn, I have gone to not liking any of the current hosts. Fallon always seems to me to be playing a character; further, never cared for hosts that played music as humor or played games with guests.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.