post #61 of 81 Old 02-26-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

I know he wrote it. I still hate it. That's actual hate.

Ditto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 81 Old 02-26-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Okay, so there were two of you.
post #63 of 81 Old 02-26-2014, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Do a Google search and you'll find plenty of people who were turned off by the theme.

I don't think a theme song has ever been reason I didn't watch a show. It's a theme song.
gwsat likes this.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #64 of 81 Old 02-26-2014, 03:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

I don't think a theme song has ever been reason I didn't watch a show. It's a theme song.

And most of them are pretty good. I can only think of one I hated. The one for HBO's 'Big Love' - I think they used a Beach Boys song that just grated on my nerves.
post #65 of 81 Old 02-26-2014, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 55

I'll give it a try, and if its quality is up to the old season one standard I'll see it through.

post #66 of 81 Old 02-26-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:

Yep, for most of us, a theme song is not a significant factor in deciding whether to stick with a show.
post #67 of 81 Old 02-27-2014, 12:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:

It's hard to say the Justified theme song helps that series in any way.wink.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #68 of 81 Old 02-27-2014, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

The True Blood opening always turned me off. The imagery was too disturbing seeing It on a regular basis. AHS: Coven was the same way, just not as bad.
post #69 of 81 Old 02-27-2014, 05:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I really dig it. Like the 'Firefly' theme, I think it hits exactly the right notes that frame the show's look and concept.

After 'Justified's first season the missus & I were spending a weekend up in the NC mountain town of Asheville with another couple. As we walked the downtown that afternoon, I noticed "Ganstagrass", who performs the show's theme song, was doing a show at one of the bars that evening. As I loved the show and the song, I was pretty jacked up to go see 'em. But alas, nobody else in the group had seen the show yet (now they're all fans), and I couldn't talk anybody into seeing what sounded to them like a gangsta' rap group (they're not, rather a sort of a bluegrass/rap hybrid that just works). tongue.gif
post #70 of 81 Old 02-27-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post

The True Blood opening always turned me off. The imagery was too disturbing seeing It on a regular basis.
I was thinking about the opening song, not the imagery.
Whatever the case, the opening is hard to forget.wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I really dig it. Like the 'Firefly' theme, I think it hits exactly the right notes that frame the show's look and concept.
I wouldn't suggest I am an expert on Kentucky's current state of musical preference, but "rap" just doesn't immediately bring to my mind thoughts of the Bluegrass State.
I dunno....maybe it's because I am not a big fan of rap.tongue.gif

post #71 of 81 Old 02-27-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:

The thing is, I watched it despite the theme.

The problem is, there are plenty of viewers that might not. Those are the people that can kill a show.

Look, some shows have it all: a great show with a great opening theme and credit sequence. The problem is, that opening credit sequence can often grab or lose a viewer in the roughly 1 minute it runs for, just like the cold open scene that comes before it.

If that opening scene doesn't cause someone to be all in on a potentially great show, a credit sequence that doesn't work for them might be enough to lose them.

I think the problem is, for some, the opening theme re-enforced their potential skepticism about the concept:

"Wait, are these cowboys? Why do they have space ships? Is there time travel involved? If this is in the future, why did they choose cowboy fashions that haven't been in fashion since the 1800's? Further, why did every single person on the fringe worlds choose that one style? Why do the towns look like old western towns? Why do they have 6 shooters and rifles?"

At least with "Cowboys vs Aliens", we have an advanced alien race visiting a historical time period on earth. It makes sense everyone is wearing garb from the old West because it is the old West. To have the entire working class society choose one particular era to emulate is silly, considering all the fashions we see now that have ties to various eras in fashion. Some people dress like it's still the 60's, while we have things like "wide leg jeans" and tall boots from the 70's appearing here and there. Further, people from various ethnic groups dress far differently than we do.

I can buy in the idea of the Star Trek tunic that everyone seems to wear on starships and space stations because 1) it looks futuristic 2) most of the people we see wearing them are part of Starfleet and those that aren't often have worn different clothing or at least modified versions of the tunic and 3) if you work in space, you want to wear something that can easily allow you to hop into an evac suit if there's an emergency, just like the flight suits our astronauts wear.

With Firefly, there seemed to be no practical reason to dress like a cowboy and have the buildings seem like old West towns. Things like durable coveralls, jeans and shirts than can hold up to heavy wear make sense - and that includes stuff than can be manufactured on outpost planets. That doesn't mean it can't use the latest materials and reflect styling preferences of the day, though. With the fact that guys who do mining or drill for fuel currently normally wear reflective safety colored gear, it makes little sense that in the future there would be fewer requirements for that sort of thing.

Buildings on outpost planets made from the ships that carried the people there, augmented with local materials make sense. While guns don't have to shoot lasers, certainly guns that have more plastic or carbon fiber parts with built in laser sights make more sense than pearl handled six shooters.

I bring all that up because, for some people, it seems subconsciously wrong to mix the old West with space travel. Sure, the rich folks on the wealthy worlds wore various drapes and other futuristic styles, but even those seemed to all feel like everyone shops at the same store. Plus, we don't even see those societies in the earliest episodes.

So, what happens is, you have those early cold open scenes, followed by a theme with lyrics like "take my life...take my land" sung in a country sort of way and you can't expect there won't be a lot of people saying "what the Hell is this?"
post #72 of 81 Old 02-27-2014, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Blasphemy! smile.gif That is my favorite current TV show theme song. So much so I downloaded the entire album by the artist, Gangstagrass.

It is a crazy mashup of rap and bluegrass music that somehow works.

My favorite all time theme song is Millenium. Other favorites are the original Battlestar Galactica, Airwolf, and the A-Team.

Is there an air date set yet for this Heroes mini-series?
post #73 of 81 Old 02-27-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

4 ways the new season of Heroes can avoid sucking:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-ways-new-season-heroes-can-avoid-sucking/

post #74 of 81 Old 02-27-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
"Save the cheerleader, save the world". it took a few eps to gain traction, but season 1 was excellent. At least it was going somewhere, whereas I have no clue where Agents of SHIELD is headed; I've already moved on..

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #75 of 81 Old 02-27-2014, 04:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 333
Quote:

You be crazy. tongue.gif

It sets the tone perfectly for a tale of rural criminals in the country, but wrapped in a cool and modern vibe!

post #76 of 81 Old 02-27-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 98
It's a bad sign that this thread is becoming more about Firefly than it is about anticipation of Heroes...

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #77 of 81 Old 02-27-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 333
Yeah, but what else are you going to talk about when basically everything NBC released is in the title of this thread! wink.gif

post #78 of 81 Old 02-27-2014, 06:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

I have no clue where Agents of SHEILD is headed; I've already moved on..
Me too.
Wonder how it's doing now in the ratings war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

You be crazy. tongue.gif

It sets the tone perfectly for a tale of rural criminals in the country, but wrapped in a cool and modern vibe!
Like I said, I have no idea what kind of music is popular in the backwoods of a state where looking for a spouse means going to family reunions....

post #79 of 81 Old 02-27-2014, 07:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

"Save the cheerleader, save the world". it took a few eps to gain traction, but season 1 was excellent. At least it was going somewhere, whereas I have no clue where Agents of SHEILD is headed; I've already moved on..

I agree that the first season of Heroes was excellent. After that, though, the show went downhill faster than if it had jumped off a cliff.

Because I am a Whedon-head, I have stuck with Agents of SHIELD. Alas, despite my fondness for what Whedon and his acolytes do, to me, the show hasn't been very good. Unless there is a miraculous rally in the last 2 minutes, I will be amazed if it is renewed.
post #80 of 81 Old 02-28-2014, 04:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Because I am a Whedon-head, I have stuck with Agents of SHIELD. Alas, despite my fondness for what Whedon and his acolytes do, to me, the show hasn't been very good. Unless there is a miraculous rally in the last 2 minutes, I will be amazed if it is renewed.

I've stuck with SHIELD too, but -- and I know this is apostasy on the board -- I've always enjoyed it and think it's fine fluffy entertainment. The writing is up to superhero show standards, frequently clever, and I find the characters appealing. Especially Chloe Bennet [Skye], who appeals to me in all sorts of ways. Yes, I wish there were more actual superheros in a show ostensibly about superheros, but I'm fine with it for what it is. Heaven knows, I've watched worser.
ambesolman likes this.
post #81 of 81 Old 04-20-2014, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This is good news... One of my favorite series.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page