"Late Night with Seth Meyers" on NBC HD - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

Old 02-23-2014, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1048

PREMIERE MONDAY FEBRUARY 24 12:35/11:35c

From Universal Television and Broadway Video, "Late Night with Seth Meyers" is executive produced by Lorne Michaels ("The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon," "Saturday Night Live") and produced by Mike Shoemaker ("Late Night with Jimmy Fallon," "Saturday Night Live"). "Late Night" tapes before a live studio audience from Studio 8G in Rockefeller Center, accompanied by The 8G Band with Fred Armisen.

http://www.nbc.com/late-night-with-seth-meyers

Monday, Feb. 24: Guests Amy Poehler, Vice President Joe Biden and musical guest A Great Big World.

Tuesday, Feb. 25: Guests Kanye West and author Robyn Doolittle ("Crazy Town: The Rob Ford Story").

Wednesday, Feb. 26: Guests Kelly Ripa, Brad Paisley and musical guest Brad Paisley.

Thursday, Feb. 27: Guests Lena Dunham, Anthony Mackie and musical guest John Mayer Trio.

Friday, Feb. 28: Guests Ian McKellen & Patrick Stewart, Sophia Bush and comedian Michael Che.

We've had Fallon's first week, now it's time for his replacement. Apart from Friday I can't say I'm looking forward to this schedule. Politics on the first night, Kanye on the second and some musical guests I will be skipping over. Maybe this will be Seth's thing, widely eclectic?
Young C likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2014, 01:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I watched the show Monday, its first night. I thought his opening monologue was very weak. Not a lot of laughter from the audience either.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 69
The monologue was funny but he delivered it like he was still doing the news.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

Old 02-25-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 253
^ was just wondering about that. Surely he can't be doing the same.
I'll be checking this out next week
Old 02-25-2014, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I agree. He also seemed to be "shouting" the monologue! He needs to tone it down a bit and not try to Sell each joke.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Seth was awkward the entire night. Hopefully in time he'll calm down, but I guess you can't blame him for being nervous. It was disappointing that right from the jump they made it clear that this show was going to resemble every other talk show ever created, right on down to the lame Venn Diagram bit. Yawn. Late Night should be edgy and hip, which Jimmy and his recorded bits as well as The Roots used to have, but so far I'm not getting that Vibe from this. I also hated how small his desk was. No idea why that bothered me. Most worrisome to me was the writing. It just wasn't funny.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

It just wasn't funny.

I agree with everything in Skyhill's post.

Seth Meyers is like the white Arsenio Hall.

The band was boring and uninspired also, and with Fred Armisen in the mix it looked like a SNL comedy sketch was about to breakout at any time.

The guest list and jokes seemed aimed at 30 - 40 year olds, but it's typically college kids who are up that late.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedrock View Post

I agree with everything in Skyhill's post.

Seth Meyers is like the white Arsenio Hall.

The band was boring and uninspired also, and with Fred Armisen in the mix it looked like a SNL comedy sketch was about to breakout at any time.

The guest list and jokes seemed aimed at 30 - 40 year olds, but it's typically college kids who are up that late.

Give him time to develop a rhythm. I remember when Jimmy Fallon started, I thought he was doomed because most of his guests were SNL alums. That's the sign of a show in trouble when the only guests you can book are your friends who aren't exactly A-list caliber.

Also, I suspect that having Fred on the show was to give opportunities for bits or sketches ala Lettrman/Shaeffer and Conan/Max Weinberg.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post

Give him time to develop a rhythm. I remember when Jimmy Fallon started, I thought he was doomed because most of his guests were SNL alums. That's the sign of a show in trouble when the only guests you can book are your friends who aren't exactly A-list caliber.

Also, I suspect that having Fred on the show was to give opportunities for bits or sketches ala Lettrman/Shaeffer and Conan/Max Weinberg.

In reference to Fred, I expect that as well. I also expected he'd be the drummer. The band was a pretty big letdown for me as well. But as you said, it's early. My biggest concern is the writing. You'd think they'd put their best stuff forward on day 1 to impress people and get us to come back, but not much of it worked at all for me. I'll stick around to see if they start doing skits and pre-recorded bits. Those are what ended up making me a Late Night with Jimmy fan.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

He was a lot more confident than Fallon was when he started. During Fallon's early weeks he looked like he wanted to run away during the monologue. In contrast Meyers looked like he couldn't move at all. He was glued to either the camera or teleprompter for almost the entire show like he forgot he wasn't on SNL and there was a live audience to interact with.

No good jokes either but unlike when Fallon had that problem, no fun games to fall back on. Early days but I'm not sure I would tune in regularly unless he grabs a niche or style this week.

Boring set too, but it did look bigger than Fallon's new set, or maybe it was just the brighter lights.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
No good jokes either but unlike when Fallon had that problem, no fun games to fall back on. ...

I liked Seth's material last night better than Fallon's. Sure, Seth delivered it as though he were sitting at the SNL Weekend Update desk, but the writing was pretty good. How much experience does Seth Meyers have as a comic as opposed to as a writer?

As for Fallon's little game of "catchphrase", or whatever he called it, that made me cringe and change the channel to Letterman.

I mean, what's next? Yahtzee? Twister? If I want to watch people play the kind of game Fallon had in that segment, I'll search out old episodes of "Password" or "The $25,000 Pyramid."

Old 02-25-2014, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post

I mean, what's next? Yahtzee? Twister? If I want to watch people play the kind of game Fallon had in that segment, I'll search out old episodes of "Password" or "The $25,000 Pyramid."

Playing Twister was good enough for Carson! He put the game on the party map. I think if Jimmy did the same it would be a nice callback.

I think Seth should steal some of his old SNL bits back. He's not a party guy and he looks more comfortable behind a desk.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Playing Twister was good enough for Carson! He put the game on the party map. I think if Jimmy did the same it would be a nice callback.

I think Seth should steal some of his old SNL bits back. He's not a party guy and he looks more comfortable behind a desk.

I did not know that about Carson. That was Eva, of "Green Acres" fame, not Zsa Zsa, right? NBC's standards and practices department may have thought two Gabors would have been one too many for 1966  televised Twister.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, that was Eva. Carson's role in the game is a good story precisely because of those reasons. He was being quite risque playing it with her. Especially in that dress. But she obviously was no stranger to flirting with him on the show, or am I getting my Gabor's mixed up?

Old 02-25-2014, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Seth is still pretty stiff during the monologue but it looked like he got some pointers and the audience seem to swing between overcompensating whooping and joke bomb death. I'd like to see him use Armisen during the monologue because it might make Seth more natural giving him someone to play off. Really though I don't see why he doesn't just skip the topical monologue and go straight to his desk anecdotes, he is a lot more relaxed with those. The monologue only seems to be there because it's part of the template.

Guests had me skipping tonight though. When Kanye goes off on one of his creative consciousness trips I just switch off. Being an artist is so hard when you are misunderstood. Of course it helps if what you are saying is understandable.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:43 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 260
I don't think this host will last long. He's not funny. I've never liked him much.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Old 02-26-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

I don't think this host will last long. He's not funny. I've never liked him much.

I've always found him to be quite tame, which doesn't negate him from getting Late Night. Fallon is certainly tame as well, but Fallon also has many other skills that make up for the lack of edge. Seth's writers really need to step it up, as does he. He's coming across too awkward in the monologue and interviews, and he has a bad habit of interrupting the guest. So far this does not appear to be a show I'll be keeping on my record list. The band is completely non-descript so far as well, which is a shame.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Did Craig Ferguson send NBC a thank you letter?

EDIT: Maybe not yet - from Zap2It:

"From 12:35-1:35 a.m. ET, 'Late Night with Seth Meyers' (2.2/8 in metered-market households) beat CBS's 'Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson' (1.1/4). In the 25 markets with Local People Meters, 'Late Night' (1.0/7 in 18-49) topped 'Late Late Show' (0.3/2).

At 1:35 a.m., 'Last Call with Carson Daly' averaged a 1.2/5 in metered-market households and a 0.5/4 in adults 18-49 in the 25 markets with local people meters."

Even the later Carson Daly beat the Late Late Show.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Seth reads jokes like they're being fed to him across multiple cue cards. He makes weird breaks in the middle of sentences that completely throw off the timing of the joke. Was he ever a stand-up comic before?
Old 02-26-2014, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:

Seth reads jokes like they're being fed to him across multiple cue cards. He makes weird breaks in the middle of sentences that completely throw off the timing of the joke. Was he ever a stand-up comic before?

I don't know if this has any basis in truth, but in the ad for the show, somebody asks Set "Teleprompter or Cue Cards" and he answers "Cue Cards." Letterman also uses cue cards just fine. I think the issue is that Seth has gotten used to his delivery on Weekend Update where he is sitting stationary behind a desk and looking straight into the camera. This doesn't work for a monologue. He needs to at least seem like he's addressing the audience as well instead of having the fixed stare into the camera.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post

I don't know if this has any basis in truth, but in the ad for the show, somebody asks Set "Teleprompter or Cue Cards" and he answers "Cue Cards." Letterman also uses cue cards just fine. I think the issue is that Seth has gotten used to his delivery on Weekend Update where he is sitting stationary behind a desk and looking straight into the camera. This doesn't work for a monologue. He needs to at least seem like he's addressing the audience as well instead of having the fixed stare into the camera.

That's why I wondered if he had ever done stand-up before. He doesn't appear to know how to "work" a crowd.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:24 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Wikipedia page says he did improv. Not quite stand up, but there's something.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Old 02-26-2014, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 77
2nd nite better

give this some time
Old 02-27-2014, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I enjoyed the panel game but it felt like a game from SNL so it seemed to work better for Seth. No audience interaction necessary. Fred Armisen is just pointless on the show right now. He's barely used and not particularly charismatic or funny when he is.

I skipped over most of the guests last night, but it did make me think that since Seth is pushing a topical angle more he might have been better suited to just a 30 minute effort like The Daily Show. Then he would get to do headlines from a desk, a quick comedy bit and then one guest. It wouldn't matter so much about booking major stars or audience feedback.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

The black chick from night 2 made me laugh. I hope they use her more. I assume much like with Fallon, all the plants they put in the audience-bits are writers. The two guys in that bit were dreadful.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I miss the bumper art. Back in the Letterman days, "Late Night" had some really cool bumper art heading into and out of commercial breaks.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I liked Florida or False, or whatever that skit was called. Mostly what I liked was Seth's easy manner with the contestants. Felt good. I also like the weird chick in the dress, who I assume is a writer. So far that's two funny women on the show. There's potential here.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Didn't even take a week for Seth to stop staring at the camera during the monologue. Last two days this week felt a little more natural, although he still reads the jokes in an odd way that makes me think they're written out over multiple cards. Not a big deal. Wasn't sure how I felt about the interplay with Fred, but around Wednesday I finally caught on to the fact that what they were doing was unscripted. That kind of improv amuses me. It's not a bad show. It's not good yet either, but there's potential.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:

Wasn't sure how I felt about the interplay with Fred, but around Wednesday I finally caught on to the fact that what they were doing was unscripted. That kind of improv amuses me.
Much like the Fred/Kristen interplay when they would visit WU on SNL, supposedly having prepared a song to sing (that of course was not) to Seth. All improv, and Kristen would look at him and watch his mouth as he "sang" and, like a twin, would attempt to mimic what he was saying as he completely made it up... as if it was a planned duet that they'd prepared.

Fred/Carrie on "Portlandia" are 90% improv as well.

The Seth/Fred opening interaction is clearly intended to be Seth as the straight-man to Fred's brief comic deadpan ludicrous improv bit about ridiculous meaningless nonsense, much as was the case with most of Fred's bits on SNL. I enjoy this. The bit early in the week where Fred was supposed to be doing a show on the History Channel titled "Recent History", dealing with the last hour or so... I REALLY enjoy this nonsense. I know there's really no comparison, but I still think of Sid Caeser's fake foreign language doubletalk nonsense gibberish when you wind Fred up and let him get started.

Seth's opening monolog (a.k.a. a handful of "Weekend Update" jokes delivered identically, but with no accompanying graphics) is still very entertaining. 1000 times better than that new creep (who used to be just a writer!) last night on SNL trying to take over. DREADFUL, I thought. And it made Cecily much less funny as well. They've got some work to do on that one (WU was pretty bad overall last night, especially the Charles Barkley / Shaquille O'Neil bit).
Old 03-02-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree about Weekend Update. Seth's absence was palpable. There was no one with any strength/conviction at the desk. When it was Tina and Jimmy, Tina was the clear leader. Ditto Tina and Amy. Then Seth came along and was pretty strong right out of the gate but was helped along greatly by Amy being so strong after doing the news for awhile.

What I don't like so far on Late Night are the male actors. The guy on Friday was an SNL reject that couldnt cut it on the live shows, and was even worse in the Late Night skit. Lutz from 30 Rock wasn't very good in an extended bit either.

I did love Patrick Stewart and Ian though. They seem really fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement