Fargo on FX - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #301 of 463 Old 06-12-2014, 06:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
What an episode! The scene with Malvo and Molly's Dad in the diner was dripping in tension. I had no idea what was going to happen. Although I should have expected it, the elevator scene caused me to gasp! I was really happy to see Molly finally get some support with her (correct) theory and have Sheriff Bill taken down a peg. And finally, The new "macho" Lester is really the ultimate coward. Time for you to go Lester!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 463 Old 06-12-2014, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I'm surprised that Lou didn't recognize Malvo, I mean Molly has his pictures plastered all over the place and has been obsessed with this case for a year.. or perhaps he did and played it cool, although it doesn't look like he did because he didn't tell Molly anything.

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #303 of 463 Old 06-12-2014, 06:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post
I'm surprised that Lou didn't recognize Malvo, I mean Molly has his pictures plastered all over the place and has been obsessed with this case for a year.. or perhaps he did and played it cool, although it doesn't look like he did because he didn't tell Molly anything.
Perhaps Lou just hasn't seen Molly's "connection board"...? If not, he wouldn't have had any opportunity to see Malvo's picture.

That said, Lou's old cop instincts clearly kicked in during their conversation. He knows something's off about that guy.
post #304 of 463 Old 06-12-2014, 07:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
So, what exactly was Malvo doing with the whole dentist-impersonator thing? Was he fulfilling a contract killing on his partner? If so, why the months-long deception; why not just pull the trigger right away and get it over with? Maybe he secretly harbored a desire to be a dentist instead of a contract killer? Or was he just doing it for "fun" - to make the job more interesting for him?
"Milton's" brother was in the Witness Protection program and had a $100K bounty on his head (which Malvo was interested in).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post
I was surprised too, but he didn't.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #305 of 463 Old 06-12-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Aliens
Loved the story about Malvo injecting himself three times instead of the patient. That was taken from the Carol Burnett show where Harvey Korman was in the chair and Tim Conway, the dentist, kept injecting himself.
Yessssssssss, of course it was. Because the Carol Burnett show was the very first ones to come up with the idea that accidentally shooting oneself with Novocaine could be funny.

post #306 of 463 Old 06-12-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Perhaps Lou just hasn't seen Molly's "connection board"...? If not, he wouldn't have had any opportunity to see Malvo's picture.

That said, Lou's old cop instincts clearly kicked in during their conversation. He knows something's off about that guy.
This is what I think is the reason that Lou did not recognize Malvo in the diner. I don't recall him seeing Malvo's picture in the show, although I could be wrong. Molly seems to keep her police work pretty much to herself with her Dad, even though he is an ex cop. Malvo certainly recognized Gus in the photo with Molly which can't be good.
post #307 of 463 Old 06-12-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Question: Las Vegas PD calls Bemidji about Lester being a witness to the murders in the elevator. But Lester didn't tell anyone what he saw in the elevator. So how did Las Vegas PD know he was a witness, or that he'd gone back home to Bemidji? If he was a suspect, wouldn't they tell Bemidji to go arrest him, not question him as a witness? Even assuming a security camera in the elevator, that would put Malvo's face on camera committing the murders.

Other than this plot hole, it was another pretty great episode. Loved the diner scene.

Lester is the real villain of the show. Malvo is an agent of choas, but Lester deliberately sent his wife into the office to be murdered.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #308 of 463 Old 06-12-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Regarding the fox/rabbit/cabbage riddle, that receptacle of dubious knowledge Yahoo Answers suggests the following options:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...0084211AAxRvZd

---
First way

1)take the rabbit and leave him on the other side (fox won't eat the cabbage).
2)bring the fox over to the other side and pick up the rabbit (The man is there so the fox won't eat the rabbit and there is nothing to eat the cabbage on the other side)
3) bring the rabbit back and pick up the cabbage (the mans there so the rabbit won't eat the cabbage and ther is nothing for the fox to eat on the other side).
4) Drop the cabbage off with the fox (fox won't eat the cabbage) and there's nothing with the rabbit)
5) Go back and pick up the rabbit and bring him across.

Second way

1) take the rabbit and leave him on the other side (fox won't eat the cabbage).
2)bring the cabbage over to the other side and pick up the rabbit (The man is there so the rabbit won't eat the cabbage and there is nothing for the fox to eat the on the other side)
3) bring the rabbit back and pick up the fox (the mans there so the fox won't eat the rabbit and ther is nothing to eat the cabbage on the other side).
4) Drop the fox off with the cabbage (fox won't eat the cabbage) and there's nothing with the rabbit)
6) Burn the boat so no-one else can get across.
---

I would suggest two more possible options that may be more in keeping with the theme of the show:

First:

1) Take the rabbit to the other side. The fox will not eat the cabbage.
2) Go back and kill the fox. Bring the dead fox to the other side. Dead fox can't eat the rabbit.
3) Go back and get the cabbage.

Second:

1) Kill the rabbit and bring it to the other side.
2) Go back and bring the cabbage to the other side. Dead rabbit can't eat the cabbage.
3) Go back and get the fox.

In these scenarios, the question isn't what order to bring the items across on the boat. The real question is which should die, the fox or the rabbit?

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #309 of 463 Old 06-12-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Vegas elevators have cameras, that is all.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #310 of 463 Old 06-12-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
It is pretty clear to me that Malvo goes full cue ball ("shaves"his head) soon.
post #311 of 463 Old 06-12-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Lester must have been picked up by a camera getting on the elevator. What happened inside must not have been recorded for some reason otherwise he would be wanted for more than just a casual questioning...I didn't fully buy his following Malvo into the elevator. No matter how confident Lester has become its hard to believe he would risk purposely pissing off a stone cold killer the way he did. Still, a great indication of good storytelling is getting one to accept something that normally challenges suspension of disbelief, and that is what happened to me here. I was enjoying the ride too much to worry about whether it made sense. I also liked Lester's transformation from hapless loser to a big pile of doo-doo..kudos to Freeman for pulling it off.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #312 of 463 Old 06-12-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Question: Las Vegas PD calls Bemidji about Lester being a witness to the murders in the elevator. But Lester didn't tell anyone what he saw in the elevator. So how did Las Vegas PD know he was a witness, or that he'd gone back home to Bemidji? If he was a suspect, wouldn't they tell Bemidji to go arrest him, not question him as a witness? Even assuming a security camera in the elevator, that would put Malvo's face on camera committing the murders.
I assumed the elevator cameras saw them both, even saw Malvo commit the murders. But they don't know where Malvo is. They do know where Lester is, and since he's a witness and not a suspect, they'd would just want to question him.
post #313 of 463 Old 06-12-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I assumed the elevator cameras saw them both, even saw Malvo commit the murders. But they don't know where Malvo is. They do know where Lester is, and since he's a witness and not a suspect, they'd would just want to question him.

But he would have committed a crime by not reporting it...plus, his life would be in danger as a witness. Its not plausible that the Las Vegas police would only want to ask him a few questions if they knew he was a witness, is it?

post #314 of 463 Old 06-12-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Malvo loves to stick the knife in and twist it. When he visited Lester's old home and told the homeowner and his children about the murders that took place there and the ghosts that roam the house, their expressions were priceless. And Malvo was smiling the entire time.

A deer has been destroying my garden so I used my AK-47 and shot him with an armor-piercing bullet. Unfortunately, it also went through my neighbor's car, and his neighbors SUV before being stopped by a propane truck filling his neighbors tank. Half of the neighborhood is now gone, but so is that darn deer.
post #315 of 463 Old 06-12-2014, 12:56 PM

When Lester followed Malvo into the elevator I simply took that as a way to show that he had really come to believe his own bull crap. I still can't get over him sending his wife into the shop because he was afraid that Malvo was there. That is about as low as you can get. I haven't been as mad at a TV character since Joffrey on GoT!
post #316 of 463 Old 06-12-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post
Lester must have been picked up by a camera getting on the elevator.
I assumed that Malvo called it in saying that he was Lester and witnessed the murder. That gets Lester in trouble and doesn't require that anything was filmed by camera.

Cary
post #317 of 463 Old 06-12-2014, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmccorm View Post
I assumed that Malvo called it in saying that he was Lester and witnessed the murder. That gets Lester in trouble and doesn't require that anything was filmed by camera.

Cary

The problem with that is it would draw police attention to Lester at the same time Malvo is returning to Fargo to kill him.

post #318 of 463 Old 06-12-2014, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I just hope they can work the wood chipper in the finale.

Is this a one and done series?

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #319 of 463 Old 06-12-2014, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Malvo's "humor"

Malvo comments that the apple pie was "...the best I've had since I left Eden". Is Malvo:

a) exhibiting his quirky sense of humor,
b) commenting on his own nature,
c) Introducing a metaphysical element to the show,
or
d) all of the above?

Last edited by crabboy; 06-12-2014 at 01:39 PM.
post #320 of 463 Old 06-12-2014, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I just hope they can work the wood chipper in the finale.

Is this a one and done series?
One and done, ten episodes. I'd hate to see this dragged across multiple seasons, always mindful of possible cancellation.
That being said, I am really enjoying this show.

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
post #321 of 463 Old 06-12-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post
Malvo comments that the apple pie was "...the best I've had since I left Eden". Is Malvo:

a) exhibiting his quirky sense of humor,
b) commenting on his own nature,
c) Introducing a metaphysical element to the show,
or
d) all of the above?
I'm going with option C and I think they've been building up to that. Let's fave it, Malvo is an evil dude and he does things right out in the open with little regard to getting caught.

Also, I'm not sure that Lou and Malvo didn't both recognize each other.

Cary
post #322 of 463 Old 06-12-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmccorm View Post

Cary
That's what I figured as well.
Quote:
The problem with that is it would draw police attention to Lester at the same time Malvo is returning to Fargo to kill him.
Except that Malvo has shown complete disregard for the police, they are simply of no consequence to him, just another entity that he can outsmart or kill, they mean less than nothing to him.
post #323 of 463 Old 06-12-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Cool One more take . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Regarding the fox/rabbit/cabbage riddle, that receptacle of dubious knowledge Yahoo Answers suggests the following options:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...0084211AAxRvZd

---
First way

1)take the rabbit and leave him on the other side (fox won't eat the cabbage).
2)bring the fox over to the other side and pick up the rabbit (The man is there so the fox won't eat the rabbit and there is nothing to eat the cabbage on the other side)
3) bring the rabbit back and pick up the cabbage (the mans there so the rabbit won't eat the cabbage and ther is nothing for the fox to eat on the other side).
4) Drop the cabbage off with the fox (fox won't eat the cabbage) and there's nothing with the rabbit)

Second way

1) take the rabbit and leave him on the other side (fox won't eat the cabbage).
2)bring the cabbage over to the other side and pick up the rabbit (The man is there so the rabbit won't eat the cabbage and there is nothing for the fox to eat the on the other side)
3) bring the rabbit back and pick up the fox (the mans there so the fox won't eat the rabbit and ther is nothing to eat the cabbage on the other side).
4) Drop the fox off with the cabbage (fox won't eat the cabbage) and there's nothing with the rabbit)
6) Burn the boat so no-one else can get across.
---

I would suggest two more possible options that may be more in keeping with the theme of the show:

First:

1) Take the rabbit to the other side. The fox will not eat the cabbage.
2) Go back and kill the fox. Bring the dead fox to the other side. Dead fox can't eat the rabbit.
3) Go back and get the cabbage.

Second:

1) Kill the rabbit and bring it to the other side.
2) Go back and bring the cabbage to the other side. Dead rabbit can't eat the cabbage.
3) Go back and get the fox.

In these scenarios, the question isn't what order to bring the items across on the boat. The real question is which should die, the fox or the rabbit?
How about this: Malvo has the boat, he shoots the fox and the rabbit and takes the cabbage to the other side and makes cole slaw. When finished, he says it's the best slaw he's had since Eden and then goes and sinks the boat.
acebreathe likes this.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #324 of 463 Old 06-12-2014, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post
Did Malvo set up Lester? He just calmly walked away, which is his style, but I wonder if he left evidence to implicate Lester.
I'm thinking he left the tape implicating Lester in his wife's death. They didn't show the scene of Malvo sitting in a room playing a tape implicating another of his "hits" for nothing.

I see Molly as the only person taking Lester down because of her determination to connect the dots throughout the series. Lester is a coward. No death for him. Only prison.

A deer has been destroying my garden so I used my AK-47 and shot him with an armor-piercing bullet. Unfortunately, it also went through my neighbor's car, and his neighbors SUV before being stopped by a propane truck filling his neighbors tank. Half of the neighborhood is now gone, but so is that darn deer.
post #325 of 463 Old 06-12-2014, 07:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 395
I love me some Fargo! The show keeps getting better and better. I agree that Malvo may have been able to implicate Lester in Malvo's killing of Lester's wife. Wouldn't it be wonderful if Lester went to prison for a crime he didn't commit, just like Lester arranged to happen to his own brother? Do you want to talk about symmetry?

I have noticed that every scene either involving Malvo or threatening to involve him is incredibly intense. I keep waiting for him to cooly kill somebody else. I never have any idea what Malvo will do next, other than that it will be astonishing. (With apologies to Dashiell Hammett. )
post #326 of 463 Old 06-12-2014, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I think the people who made the film 300 should try to get rights to Malvo and make a film titled 1.
Doug Wallen likes this.
post #327 of 463 Old 06-12-2014, 10:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I love me some Fargo! The show keeps getting better and better. I agree that Malvo may have been able to implicate Lester in Malvo's killing of Lester's wife. Wouldn't it be wonderful if Lester went to prison for a crime he didn't commit, just like Lester arranged to happen to his own brother? Do you want to talk about symmetry?

I have noticed that every scene either involving Malvo or threatening to involve him is incredibly intense. I keep waiting for him to cooly kill somebody else. I never have any idea what Malvo will do next, other than that it will be astonishing. (With apologies to Dashiell Hammett. )
I think you've nailed, what makes the character of Malvo so compelling, you really don't have any idea how it's going to turn out, he's utterly unpredictable.
post #328 of 463 Old 06-13-2014, 12:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
I'm thinking he left the tape implicating Lester in his wife's death. They didn't show the scene of Malvo sitting in a room playing a tape implicating another of his "hits" for nothing.

I see Molly as the only person taking Lester down because of her determination to connect the dots throughout the series. Lester is a coward. No death for him. Only prison.
You might be right. They did show a scene in a previous episode of Malvo listening to one of his greatest hits. When he played the tape back this week I thought it might be to psych himself up. I only wonder what would be on the tape other than a confession from Lester since Malvo wasn't present when Lester killed his first wife. When I get home from work I'll see if I can make out anything that was said during Malvo's playback. Thanks for the Carol Burnett reference, the story did sound familiar but I couldn't place it. Do you think Malvo is short for malevolent lol.
post #329 of 463 Old 06-13-2014, 06:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Quote:
But he would have committed a crime by not reporting it...plus, his life would be in danger as a witness. Its not plausible that the Las Vegas police would only want to ask him a few questions if they knew he was a witness, is it?
Except Lester clearly did nothing visually that would have implicated him in the crime - and actually hit Malvo on the head and ran away after. Even if they had audio, there's nothing that was said that could implicate Lester.

While he might get a good chastising about not reporting the crime, clearly Malvo is a pro - silencer and everything - so Lester had every reason to fear for his life if he stuck around.

In fact, unless Malvo did leave evidence to set of Lester, he can now say his fear and instinct to run was right on the money since Malvo tracked him down and killed his wife.

Moreover, unless Malvo left evidence, this gets him further from being a suspect on any crime since he could say he's been stalked by Malvo this whole time and was afraid to come forward - especially after the death of his wife, which he can say Malvo had a hand in along with his brother.

I'd say it's not impossible Lester could get away with the whole deal.

Last edited by NetworkTV; 06-13-2014 at 06:04 AM.
post #330 of 463 Old 06-13-2014, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
I think Molly's dad will figure significantly in the finale. How it will happen, I have no prediction. He could go from hero to victim or anywhere in between.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page