post #421 of 467 Old 06-20-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
After Gus put three bullets in Malvo, when he started moving I thought, uh-oh, werewolf. Must. Have. Silver. Bullets. The reason that briefly crossed my mind was the way the wolf and Malvo were looking at each other.
It looks like I wasn't the only one thinking something was up...

You talked before about the idea of Malvo as a man who can vanish out of a locked room. As you were writing the series, did you decide at a certain point that you were just going to treat him as a supernatural person, or did you have to say at every scenario, "How could a person actually do this?"

Noah Hawley:I'm a firm believer that when you make a Coen brothers movie, you have to accept the mystery. I had a number of discussions with the folks at MGM who kept asking, "How did he get out of that basement? Don't we have to show an open window or something?" And I said, "No, I don't know how he got out of that basement. You just have to accept the mystery." It was Billy's idea that Gus shoots him and he appears to be dead and then he sits up with that amazing grimace and smile with the bloody teeth. That was Billy's desire to do it that way, and I find it so chilling, and for a moment, you ask, "Is this guy really human or what?" And, of course, he is in the end.

This is a really good interview with Hawley.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 467 Old 06-20-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post
Martin Freeman was also nominated.. but yeah I agree that Billy Bob was better...
I don't really know that this is correct. The character that Billy Bob was playing seemed kind of like a fun character to play and I'm not sure its really nuanced even if he did it well. Lester was a bit different but also a hard character to get a grip on because he changed so much. The one who really shined was Allison Tolman who had to play a different character than we've seen. Bob Odenkirk did a pretty good job with his character as well. Billy Bob's character was showy but I don't think that hard to do.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #423 of 467 Old 06-20-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
I don't really know that this is correct. The character that Billy Bob was playing seemed kind of like a fun character to play and I'm not sure its really nuanced even if he did it well. Lester was a bit different but also a hard character to get a grip on because he changed so much. The one who really shined was Allison Tolman who had to play a different character than we've seen. Bob Odenkirk did a pretty good job with his character as well. Billy Bob's character was showy but I don't think that hard to do.
I have to agree with you about BB, and I love BB. Martin was very good, but one night a week or two ago I was channel surfing and came upon a movie I hadn't seen in some time; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy with Martin. His character was so much like Lester I couldn't believe it. So I think playing Lester was second nature to him.
post #424 of 467 Old 06-20-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
First off, Billy Bob was perfectly cast. Its a completely different show with anyone else in the role and I would guess it was written with him in mind. But it was definitely in his comfort zone, the kind of character that fits his persona. And outside of Sling Blade its also the best role he has had to exploit that persona. But as far as acting goes, Freeman probably topped him. He went from a hapless victim you couldn't help rooting for to a slime ball you hoped to see dead. Yeah, a lot of that was the writing, but I thought Freeman did a great job going from likeable to despicable in a relatively short time. Short answer-Fargo had two truly memorable villians.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #425 of 467 Old 06-20-2014, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, he did win the Critics' Choice award for best actor in a miniseries, so there is that...

BB made it look easy, which is why you can sometimes overlook a performance and not appreciate what the actor is creating in order to make it appear easy. His facial expressions and the "look" were excellent. Still...even I would have loved playing that role.

His hairpiece sucked. It was so bad I found it distracting.
post #426 of 467 Old 06-20-2014, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
His hairpiece sucked. It was so bad I found it distracting.
Perhaps that was intentional. An indication that it was a mere disguise for his current slate of jobs. It seems like the show's creators (from the above posted interview clips) were very much on top of various details, having some intention behind every one.
post #427 of 467 Old 06-20-2014, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Do be sure to watch True Detective, it's not to be missed.
Ah that may take a while as am not an HBO subscriber....

post #428 of 467 Old 06-21-2014, 01:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Ah that may take a while as am not an HBO subscriber....
The disks are available to rent.
lovinthehd likes this.
post #429 of 467 Old 06-22-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
The disks are available to rent.
You recommend it, then? Haven't seen it but I skimmed the thread about the show. Not too closely so to avoid spoilers, reading mainly only the opinions. You didn't seem too happy with the ending if I remember right. You think the ride is worth it, even if where it ends up was disappointing?

post #430 of 467 Old 06-22-2014, 11:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post
You recommend it, then? Haven't seen it but I skimmed the thread about the show. Not too closely so to avoid spoilers, reading mainly only the opinions. You didn't seem too happy with the ending if I remember right. You think the ride is worth it, even if where it ends up was disappointing?
FWIW, I thought it was excellent, Oink didn't like the ending but I thought it was fine, in my mind more like how a story like this would end were it a factual accounting.

That aside, the acting is worth the viewing all by itself, plus, every episode was written and directed by the same two people, something that is very rare in today's TV shows.
JohnDG and Ph8te like this.
post #431 of 467 Old 06-22-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 121
More than worth it! Great show!!!

Bobby 

post #432 of 467 Old 06-22-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
More than worth it! Great show!!!
Dis.

post #433 of 467 Old 06-22-2014, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Hold on thar, pard....I predicted it too (I think ).

FWIW, I found Fargo to be much more satisfying than TD.
It's central story of murder and justice engaged me more.
TD wimped out with a BFD Lawnmower Man, nowhere near as interesting a character as the existential evil phantom known as Malvo.
I totally agree, Fargo was a much better, more satisfying show throughout than True Detective. The writing and character development (along with the acting) was much better/tighter. The viewer was genuinely invested in each individual character, no matter how small their role. Whether they were characters with redeeming/good qualities, or loathsome/evil characters, each one of them drew a visceral, emotional response from the viewer and to top it all off, as is the Cohen Brother's, and the writers brilliance... You never knew what was coming. Consequently, every episode was taunt with tension leaving the viewer on the edge of their seat wondering what would happen next. That was not the case with True Detective. The main characters in TD had very few redeeming qualities. So much so that the audience wasn't invested in them. By the end of TD I didn't care if they solved the case, or if they lived or died because they were such lothesome characters. That was decidedly NOT the case with Fargo. The viewer was rooting for the good guys and constantly hoping that JUSTICE would prevail/be meeted
post #434 of 467 Old 06-22-2014, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hold on thar, pard....I predicted it too (I think ).

FWIW, I found Fargo to be much more satisfying than TD.
It's central story of murder and justice engaged me more.
TD wimped out with a BFD Lawnmower Man, nowhere near as interesting a character as the existential evil phantom known as Malvo.
I totally agree, Fargo was a much better, more satisfying show throughout than True Detective. The writing and character development (along with the acting) was much better/tighter. The viewer was genuinely invested in each individual character, no matter how small their role. Whether they were characters with redeeming/good qualities, or loathsome/evil characters, each one of them drew a visceral, emotional response from the viewer and to top it all off, as is the Cohen Brother's, and the writers brilliance... You never knew what was coming. Consequently, every episode was taunt with tension leaving the viewer on the edge of their seat wondering what would happen next. That was not the case with True Detective. The main characters in TD had very few redeeming qualities. So much so that the audience wasn't invested in them. By the end of TD I didn't care if they solved the case, or if they lived or died because they were such lothesome characters. That was decidedly NOT the case with Fargo. The viewer was rooting for the good guys and constantly hoping that JUSTICE would prevail/be meeted out to the bad guys to the degree that they individually deserved it. The writers succeeded on the overwhelming majority of all these criteria to the point in the end which wrapped up all the overarching plot lines. Leaving the viewer satisfied/feeling good about the outcome: happy for the characters that survived/prevailed/survived, and equally satisfied with the justice/fitting end to Malvo, Lester and even the minor evil characters like the truckers two vile sons. Put in their placers by the mighty stapler! No one saw that coming )

Fargo was Outstanding
post #435 of 467 Old 06-23-2014, 01:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
The lone wolf distracted Gus to enable him to see where Malvo was, then later Malvo is distracted by the wolf while Gus sneaks up on him....but I have no idea what that is supposed to mean.
Malvo was the wolf ... until Gus became the wolf.
post #436 of 467 Old 06-23-2014, 01:09 AM
Advanced Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lucca View Post
What a show, just got better and weirder every week.
My wow moment was Malvo all of a sudden either becoming or going back to being a Dentist. A Hitman Dentist???
He goes to Vegas runs into the "new" Lester and just happens to have a gun with a silencer in his pocket, and kills everybody except Lester in an elevator, and walks away.
Gets caught in a bear trap re-sets his own leg, gets 3 shots in the chest, smiles a bloody smile, tough guy. Takes 2 in the head, expires.
Gus gets a medal...
So, play-by-play announcer is your day job?
post #437 of 467 Old 06-23-2014, 01:14 AM
Advanced Member

So, who else thinks that the follow-up story will begin with the money in the snow being found by some poor fool ???
post #438 of 467 Old 06-23-2014, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Every time I think about this series one thought keeps coming up and that is "Lester is one dumb SOB"
post #439 of 467 Old 06-23-2014, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideJockey View Post
Every time I think about this series one thought keeps coming up and that is "Lester is one dumb SOB"
Really? I thought he proved to be a pretty sly fellow...

A coward, yes. Immoral, uh-huh. But dumb? nope.

post #440 of 467 Old 06-23-2014, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Lester lasted as long as he did partly through dumb luck and partly through some criminal savvy.

He quickly figured out Malvo would take care of his problems for him and then without the slightest remorse or equivocation set up his brother and sent his wife to get killed.

Killing his first wife was a crime of passion, not premeditated. But he learned the game quickly and became a killer.

He survived as long as he did because he was a quick enough study. The bear trap was what allowed him to outlive Malvo.
post #441 of 467 Old 06-23-2014, 01:09 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideJockey View Post

Yep, he had the good life going there didn't he...until he confronted Malvo in Las Vegas. If he'd just walked away, he literally would have gotten away with murder...

Bill
post #442 of 467 Old 06-24-2014, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I might have missed it but was there ever a plausable explaination for how the fish "fell from the sky"?
post #443 of 467 Old 06-24-2014, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102 View Post
I might have missed it but was there ever a plausable explaination for how the fish "fell from the sky"?
There was "fish symbolism" throughout the series, but here is the answer to your question:

"All the fish symbolism came to a dramatic, memorable, and totally biblical end when it began raining fish. From the sky. Seriously. While it was later revealed to be the act of a tornado that pulled the fish right out of the water, at the time it appeared to be the last in a long line of "signs from God" for grocery store king Stavros Milos (Oliver Platt), all of which had been secretly manufactured by Malvo until this point. These flying fish were fierce, deadly, and truly an act of more than just a clever hitman."
post #444 of 467 Old 06-24-2014, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102 View Post
Yes, there was a shot in which a meteriologist had mentioned that a tornado had touched down on Lake ? and had sucke up a bunch of fish. When the tornado dissipated over land the fish fell back to earth. This phenomenon has happened a number of times lately in real life so it was a nice touch on the part if the writers which added to the "supernatural" phenomonan that Market King guy had been experiencing to get him to turn over/put back "THE money". Which was a very nice tie in and homage to the original Fargo!

As another poster mentioned, it would be interesting if the next Fargo story began with a new set of characters finding the cursed $920,000 to get the next story/ball rolling because it is BLOOD money and as the Bible clearly states "money is the root of all kinds of evil."

Fargo was a great story/tv show.
post #445 of 467 Old 06-24-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmouse007 View Post
Yes, there was a shot in which a meteriologist had mentioned that a tornado had touched down on Lake ? and had sucke up a bunch of fish. When the tornado dissipated over land the fish fell back to earth. This phenomenon has happened a number of times lately in real life so it was a nice touch on the part if the writers which added to the "supernatural" phenomonan that Market King guy had been experiencing to get him to turn over/put back "THE money".
It has NEVER happened in the middle of winter when all the lakes around here are FROZEN SOLID. Oh well, one of the "mysteries" I guess. I think they should have at least showed a flash-back to Malvo flying a hellicopter overhead or something.
post #446 of 467 Old 06-24-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmouse007 View Post
Yes, there was a shot in which a meteriologist had mentioned that a tornado had touched down on Lake ? and had sucke up a bunch of fish. When the tornado dissipated over land the fish fell back to earth. This phenomenon has happened a number of times lately in real life so it was a nice touch on the part if the writers which added to the "supernatural" phenomonan that Market King guy had been experiencing to get him to turn over/put back "THE money". Which was a very nice tie in and homage to the original Fargo!
Thank goodness there weren't any great white sharks in the lake.
lonwolf615 and Ph8te like this.

post #447 of 467 Old 07-01-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Took me awhile to get through this show as it was sitting on my DVR and I couldn't find time to give it the attention I wanted to. Finally over the past week or so I've been able to dedicate time to it and finished it last night. Im happy that I didn't remove it as it was one of the best shows that Ive seen this year. Are their flaws? sure, but nothing really worth mentioning, great flow from beginning to end and BBT was great in his role. I found it funny that the "new Lester" while on the outside seemed different, as soon as he saw Malvo reverted back to his old ways. You could see the "tick" and revert occur before your eyes. Great series and I will recommend this to others
post #448 of 467 Old 07-10-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

2014 Emmy Nominations

BEST TV MINI-SERIES

Fargo (FX)

BEST ACTOR (TV MOVIE OR MINI-SERIES)

Martin Freeman (Fargo)

Billy Bob Thornton (Fargo)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR (TV MOVIE OR MINI-SERIES)

Colin Hanks (Fargo)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS (TV MOVIE OR MINI-SERIES)

Allison Tolman (Fargo)

Nice.
post #449 of 467 Old 07-10-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 381
I'd be surprised if it doesn't win for mini-series. Tolman might get a win too.

post #450 of 467 Old 07-10-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 637
I wonder why Tolman was nominated for a supporting actress award? As I recall, she was the primary actress among the women featured on the show, and gave a lead actor's performance.

The Emmy's work in mysterious ways.
TeeJay1952 likes this.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page