Fargo on FX - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 359Likes

Old 11-08-2015, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4794 Post(s)
Liked: 2651
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
The fact is, neither one of 'em was really science fiction in the purest sense of the word. Firefly was essentially a modern day western dressed up with sci-fi trappings. What made it special were the wonderfully drawn characters and Whedon's incredible ear for dialog, his humor, and the sheer perfection of the cast. And the science was actually fairly solid (no sound in the vacuum of space, no faster than light travel, a large solar system with many habitable worlds, etc.). The vfx were also state-of-the-art. And only 13 episodes! What a shame we were deprived of more.

As for BSG, it was really a military drama in space with the Galactica standing in for a modern day aircraft carrier. All the trappings of those kinds of war films were there. The Cylons were the intractable enemy, one that can't be reasoned or bargained with, and with the remake they looked like us, walked unsuspected among us, and all the conspiratorial angles that allows. They were standing in for communists that plagued us in the 50's and 60's or the Islamic fascists that plague us today. What lifted it above other, similar works was how the ongoing War in Iraq and all the moral quandaries it entailed were woven into the storyline. And again, superb writing and acting and the surehanded direction of a brilliant showrunner in Ronald D. Moore.

They were both terrific. One and two in the genre in my book. Nothing before or since has really come close.
The crabcakes have gone to your head...again.

RIP --- The National Geographic Society (Jan. 1888 - Sept. 2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2015, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I agree that the potential for Kirsten Dunst's Peggy Blomquist is sky high. She does a great job of misleading others, including her husband, into believing that she is a timid-as-a-mouse housewife. It seems to me though that she is really a cold and ruthless sociopath. Peggy looks out for Number One no matter what. What makes her even more interesting to me is that Peggy isn't very smart, although she is probably smarter than her husband, faint praise though that may be.

she shares the same traits as Lester Nygaard...she's the Lester of Season 2
Old 11-08-2015, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 235
You think Peggy is devious but the way her boss told her what to do about the money, there really is no there there.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
You think Peggy is devious but the way her boss told her what to do about the money, there really is no there there.

speaking of her boss...anyone else feel Peggy is going to 'suggest' to Ed that she has to die?...she's seen too much- the damaged car...she's a loose end and Peggy is all about tying up any loose ends
gwsat and lovinthehd like this.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Doesn't matter, Hanzee and Lou know what they did.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Doesn't matter, Hanzee and Lou know what they did.

suspecting something and proving it are 2 different things...Lou would have arrested them if he really 'knew'...Hanzee is looking for a different kind of justice
Old 11-08-2015, 11:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
speaking of her boss...anyone else feel Peggy is going to 'suggest' to Ed that she has to die?...she's seen too much- the damaged car...she's a loose end and Peggy is all about tying up any loose ends
Nice pick up.
It wouldn't surprise me if she does.
I think Peggy is capable of almost anything.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1075 Post(s)
Liked: 1163
Quote:
I thought Peggy's boss at the beauty shop was preaching to the choir when she urged peggy to go to the seminar. Once Peggy heard about it she knew she wanted to go. So what if the money she spent on it meant Ed couldn't buy the butcher shop? Oh yeah, Peggy spends money on what Peggy wants, not necessarily on what Ed wanted and thought Peggy had agreed to, even if Peggy's decision was as dumb as it was selfish.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Not to mention the fact that the boss lady was hitting on Peggy when she drove her home two weeks ago.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
Not to mention the fact that the boss lady was hitting on Peggy when she drove her home two weeks ago.

plus Peggy is a tp thief (toilet paper) ...Peggy's boss found all the stolen toilet paper from the hair salon in Peggy's bathroom
lovinthehd likes this.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2418 Post(s)
Liked: 1883
Quote:
.Hanzee is looking for a different kind of justice
I'm not so sure. Hanzee might surprise us with how he acts on the information he's gathered. He's already shown us that he can treat defenseless creatures with a degree of mercy. That would be taking the plotline in an unexpected direction, which would be par for this show's course.
oink and lovinthehd like this.
Old 11-08-2015, 03:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3502 Post(s)
Liked: 3485
@archiguy ....what the heck is science fiction in the purest sense anyways? BSG and Firefly would both qualify as sci-fi easily enough. I tried Firefly once, couldn't get into it. Haven't retried BSG yet, maybe I'll give 'em both a try.
Old 11-08-2015, 04:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2418 Post(s)
Liked: 1883
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
@archiguy ....what the heck is science fiction in the purest sense anyways? BSG and Firefly would both qualify as sci-fi easily enough. I tried Firefly once, couldn't get into it. Haven't retried BSG yet, maybe I'll give 'em both a try.
How would you know they "qualify as sci-fi easily enough" if you've never seen them?

Sure, they take place in the future where space travel is a reality, and that makes them technically science fiction and they're correctly classified as such, but the trappings and tropes of both shows are based in other genres. If you watch them you'll see what I'm talking about.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
How would you know they "qualify as sci-fi easily enough" if you've never seen them?

Sure, they take place in the future where space travel is a reality, and that makes them technically science fiction and they're correctly classified as such, but the trappings and tropes of both shows are based in other genres. If you watch them you'll see what I'm talking about.
Well, most science fiction still employs story telling involved with human nature from various "genres"....and have seen both anyways (just not the second bsg series and only an episode and a half or so of Firefly).
Old 11-10-2015, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Whose head was in the hat box? Or was that just a dummy 'warning' head? Thanks. A NY Times review is vague. -- John

Last edited by John Mason; 11-10-2015 at 08:23 AM. Reason: add-on
Old 11-10-2015, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post
Whose head was in the hat box? Or was that just a dummy 'warning' head? Thanks. -- John
That would be Joe Bulo, played by Brad Garrett, the Kansas City rep and Mike Milligan's boss. Joe used a special shampoo to combat the soft water in Minnesota, which is why Milligan felt of his hair.
gwsat and Ph8te like this.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1075 Post(s)
Liked: 1163
I thought this week's episode was a mixed bag. All of the scenes involving Ronald Regan seemed pretty slow to me. In stark contrast, everything involving the Indian kid with the crippled hand and Ed the butcher was out of this world. And I particularly enjoyed the development where, after Peggy had sold her car so that Ed could buy the butcher shop, the butcher shop burned down. Was anybody else reminded of O. Henry's The Gift of the Magi?
Old 11-10-2015, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Was anybody else reminded of O. Henry's The Gift of the Magi?
I was reminded of this during the opening credits

How many cases of necrophilia go unreported each year by the victims?
Old 11-10-2015, 10:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lils Roro View Post
That would be Joe Bulo, played by Brad Garrett, the Kansas City rep and Mike Milligan's boss. Joe used a special shampoo to combat the soft water in Minnesota, which is why Milligan felt of his hair.
Yup.

I was surprised Hansee survived.
It seemed to me Joe, as the lead K.C. guy, would be needed further in the series and that the NA knew the true story of what happened to Rye, thereby making him expendable from Dodd's POV.

Quote:
I thought this week's episode was a mixed bag. All of the scenes involving Ronald Regan seemed pretty slow to me.
I enjoyed it.
I thought Bruce Campbell did a fine job capturing the spirit of RR.
His urinal story of substituting a Hollywood movie for actual war experience was something he and John Wayne were said to have done.

Quote:
In stark contrast, everything involving the Indian kid with the crippled hand and Ed the butcher was out of this world.
Very surprising shake-out.

Quote:
And I particularly enjoyed the development where, after Peggy had sold her car so that Ed could buy the butcher shop, the butcher shop burned down.
True Karma in action.

Quote:
Was anybody else reminded of O. Henry's The Gift of the Magi?
I bow to superior literary memory.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
I'd say Fringe would be a good example of quality scifi. BSG is a drama with a science fiction backdrop.

Speaking of sci-fi, I still want to know where the weekly UFO references are going on this show.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 200
I was surprised they didn't kill both Kitchen brothers, the other seem just bruised, not even a bullet wound or anything, why he wasn't finished there? maybe send a message?

Poor Fat Damon..... and they had to go Breaking Bad with the CP Kid

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
Old 11-10-2015, 04:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post
I was surprised they didn't kill both Kitchen brothers, the other seem just bruised, not even a bullet wound or anything, why he wasn't finished there? maybe send a message?

Poor Fat Damon..... and they had to go Breaking Bad with the CP Kid
That confused me, I thought they were both killed in the woods. Maybe there were 3 brothers?
Old 11-10-2015, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
That confused me, I thought they were both killed in the woods. Maybe there were 3 brothers?
Did he leave one alive so he could deliver Joe Bulo's head to Milligan?

Old 11-10-2015, 04:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post
Did he leave one alive so he could deliver Joe Bulo's head to Milligan?
I'd have to watch the scene again, but I'm fairly certain Hansee slit both their throats; one from behind and the other a straight on slash from the front. One of those guys must not have been a "bathroom" brother.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I'd have to watch the scene again, but I'm fairly certain Hansee slit both their throats; one from behind and the other a straight on slash from the front. One of those guys must not have been a "bathroom" brother.
When I saw the Kitchen brother with Milligan at first I thought it was a flashback, as I also thought Hanzee had got both of them but maybe he just knocked one out like was said so a survivor could deliver the message/head back to Milligan? I erased after watching so curious what your replay reveals...
Old 11-10-2015, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 508
The attack in the woods to the melee in the butcher shop was enough action to fill a season on most shows. I never expected so many bodies to drop so soon in this season. And the next episode looks ominous.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I thought for sure he killed both in the woods as well, but maybe he left one alive as a message (like the Dodd patriarch).
bmcn likes this.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
When I saw the Kitchen brother with Milligan at first I thought it was a flashback, as I also thought Hanzee had got both of them but maybe he just knocked one out like was said so a survivor could deliver the message/head back to Milligan? I erased after watching so curious what your replay reveals...
He just punched the second one after he slit the first one's throat. When he did it I wondered why he didn't kill him but if it's to have someone deliver the head then it makes sense.
Keenan and Ph8te like this.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Those dimwits are going get to get a lot of innocents killed.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post
He just punched the second one after he slit the first one's throat. When he did it I wondered why he didn't kill him but if it's to have someone deliver the head then it makes sense.
Also, I think that killing just one of the Kitchen brothers leaves an even deeper mark on the Kansas City syndicate. The surviving brother is left permanently pissed as they seemed inseparable, and it further delivers the message that the Gerhardt family has some control over the organization at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement