The Avengers is BACK on COZI TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 02-28-2014, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 53
For those of you who are fans of Steed and Mrs. Peel ... get your fix every week day on COZI TV from 1-2 pm. They are starting with season 5 for some reason (first color eps?), but hopefully they will circle back to the B&W eps in due course.

Set your DVRs! biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-28-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 101
What the heck is Cozi TV? Is it available on Comcast?
post #3 of 17 Old 02-28-2014, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 55

Cozi is yet another network designed specifically, for tv stations with digital subchannels to affiliate with, in order to give those sub-chs programming at low/no cost.

Usually they are filled with reruns of older shows that cable networks  used to run in abundance, and have moved away from.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #4 of 17 Old 02-28-2014, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post

For those of you who are fans of Steed and Mrs. Peel ... get your fix every week day on COZI TV from 1-2 pm. They are starting with season 5 for some reason (first color eps?), but hopefully they will circle back to the B&W eps in due course.

I'm betting that the Emma Peel character (played by Diana Rigg) had a lot more fans than the Mr. Steed character did.

What a bummer that Cozi is not available in my market.

We do get Me-TV and AntennaTV, though, and those have some nearly forgotten gems:  The Twilight Zone, The Untouchables, Jack Benny, Burns and Allen. But they tend to put the best B&W shows on very late at night, so if you don't use a DVR, you're out of luck.

post #5 of 17 Old 02-28-2014, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I don't think COZI-TV shows are in HD however, its a 480i 16:9 station?
post #6 of 17 Old 02-28-2014, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I noticed it 0n Monday. Many consider season five to be the pinnacle of the show. I actually liked them all, but season five DID have some high points. I'm glad to know that it hasn't been on for months without my realizing it.

Oh, The Avengers back on: smile.gifbiggrin.gif

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #7 of 17 Old 03-01-2014, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriscoCountyJr View Post

I don't think COZI-TV shows are in HD however, its a 480i 16:9 station?
The shows I've seen are 4:3 480i. Not sure if that's true for all their programming. Antenna TV was the same way. Not HD.
post #8 of 17 Old 03-01-2014, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cozi airs movies in 16:9 format sd. I remember seeing Avengers reruns on A&E back in the 1990s and during the time of that horrible 1998 movie reboot starring Uma Thurman and Ralph Fiennes.
post #9 of 17 Old 03-02-2014, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

What I can't quite figure out is why some cable and satellite channels will show a standard definition sports program in LETTERBOX rather than pillar box.

This happens sometimes on the SD channels for ESPN and the regional sports networks. The sports programming will be letterboxed even though the TV set is 16:9.

The only thing that I can figure is that the program is done properly on the main HD ESPN channel, but on the SD channel, somebody decided to set things up in a goofy way that is perhaps meant to accommodate people who are still watching on an old 4:3 CRT TV. But it looks goofy on a 16:9 flat panel. The unnecessary letterboxing appears during the sports program, but when there is a commercial break, the commercial is full screen 16:9.

post #10 of 17 Old 03-03-2014, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post

I'm betting that the Emma Peel character (played by Diana Rigg) had a lot more fans than the Mr. Steed character did.

yup

I watched this show faithfully when it ran in the 60's - 70's and in syndication runs. when she left the show, it wasn't the same, like Duchovny leaving X-Files. Diana Rigg in black leather made even silly plots very watchable wink.gif I even watched the original Honor Blackman episodes before Diana Rigg replaced her.

I've never heard of COZI, not on Comcast in our area. but one can enjoy all the Mrs Peel eps on DVD for about $40. I've been tempted for many years to buy the show but I'm afraid it wouldn't be the same watching it today tongue.gif As a kid, I always thought Secret Agent Man was pretty cool spy show but I watched it beginning to end several yrs ago. I had forgotten how cheesy 60's stunts & plots could be...nostalgia for old shows can be a wicked lady.

still - it'd be fun to see at least some Avengers episodes again, especially the earlier B&W ones which were almost believable wink.gif

Steve
post #11 of 17 Old 03-03-2014, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

I watched some of the Diana Rig eps on A&E and locally on WABC late night back in the 80's. They held up pretty well and some of the humor that was over my head when I was younger was now understandable. And yes a lot of it was cheesy but somehow I didn't seem to care. Also got to see some of the Honor Blackman series of episodes on the Encore Mystery station and they look horrible.
post #12 of 17 Old 03-03-2014, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post

I watched some of the Diana Rig eps on A&E and locally on WABC late night back in the 80's. They held up pretty well and some of the humor that was over my head when I was younger was now understandable. And yes a lot of it was cheesy but somehow I didn't seem to care. Also got to see some of the Honor Blackman series of episodes on the Encore Mystery station and they look horrible.

According to Wikipedia, the first three seasons (series) were videotaped, not filmed. Some of the Season 1 episodes were done live. The show did not come to U.S. television until Season 4, and that is when Diana Rigg joined the cast and the production switched to film. Rigg was with the show for Season 4 (B&W) and Season 5 (color). In Season 6, a different woman played Steed's partner.

post #13 of 17 Old 03-03-2014, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post

According to Wikipedia, the first three seasons (series) were videotaped, not filmed. Some of the Season 1 episodes were done live. The show did not come to U.S. television until Season 4, and that is when Diana Rigg joined the cast and the production switched to film. Rigg was with the show for Season 4 (B&W) and Season 5 (color). In Season 6, a different woman played Steed's partner.
That would explain why some of the episodes look so bad.
post #14 of 17 Old 03-04-2014, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post

Thanks for the info. I just set my DVR.
post #15 of 17 Old 03-06-2014, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Emma Peel collection on sale @ Amazon this week - $25

Steve
post #16 of 17 Old 03-06-2014, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

yup

I watched this show faithfully when it ran in the 60's - 70's and in syndication runs. when she left the show, it wasn't the same, like Duchovny leaving X-Files. Diana Rigg in black leather made even silly plots very watchable wink.gif I even watched the original Honor Blackman episodes before Diana Rigg replaced her.

I've never heard of COZI, not on Comcast in our area. but one can enjoy all the Mrs Peel eps on DVD for about $40. I've been tempted for many years to buy the show but I'm afraid it wouldn't be the same watching it today tongue.gif As a kid, I always thought Secret Agent Man was pretty cool spy show but I watched it beginning to end several yrs ago. I had forgotten how cheesy 60's stunts & plots could be...nostalgia for old shows can be a wicked lady.

still - it'd be fun to see at least some Avengers episodes again, especially the earlier B&W ones which were almost believable wink.gif

Ditto. COZI is an OTA sub in Detroit, 20.2. I don't know whether cable carries it. I watched one yesterday, it's not quite the same. Major tradeoff between the cheesy plot and stunts and the hotness of "Mrs. Peel."
post #17 of 17 Old 03-07-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 45
COZI is an NBC product. By me it is the .2 sub-channel of NBC. It is broadcast in SD but they do show 16:9 content sometime. I did record The Avengers & it is 4:3. I've only watched a few programs on COZI but saw one a few weeks ago which I thought would have been 4:3 because it was older, but was surprised it was in 16:9. It did not looked stretched or zoomed so I have to presume the original source was widescreen.

http://www.cozitv.com/about/
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page