"Game of Arms" on AMC HD Tuesday's @ 10PM EST - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-10-2014, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked: 1216
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
With the epicness that was Breaking Bad coming to an end...What better way for AMC to fill that void than with a high production value show about Arm Wrestling.

http://www.amctv.com/shows/game-of-arms

I'll be adding more info soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2014, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Old 03-10-2014, 05:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked: 922
I have the first episode saved on the DVR for a rainy day. I figure that's all I'll need of this concept.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Oh yeah Arm Wrasslin'! rolleyes.gif

As you get older three things happen. The first is your memory goes, and I can’t remember the other two.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I have the first episode saved on the DVR for a rainy day. I figure that's all I'll need of this concept.

I hear you man... watching a bunch of hooligans amped up on Mountain Dew trying to rip each others arms off defintely appeals to a small target audience.

However, having grown up in the hooliganistic house hold that I did, my dad taught me how to pull when I was just a pup and this show gets my adrinile pumping...brings back memories for sure.

Honestly, I think it has several things in common with AVS and other forums in general--Competitive, primitive and just another penis measurement method...lol. Primary difference being that these guys have the opportunity to back up their $hit talk or get shut down.

Still fun IMO!
Old 03-10-2014, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I myself was a competitive armwrestler at one point (I won't go so far to say professional like these guys do), so I was amped for this when I first saw the previews a few months back.

Let me just say I find this show extremely insulting to armwrestlers and the sport. I know a lot of you who aren't into it probably think it's just a bunch of Neanderthals in a joke of a sport, and honestly this show doesn't do much to dissuade that notion, but it's not all like that. Hell, most of the sport is highly organized and we have had actual state, national, and world championships for many years now in upscale venues. We aren't pulling in dilapidated barns or shrimp docks or abandoned warehouses like this show implies.

That said, I know it's quick to say this is a joke because of the sport and you'd be right to do so based on this depiction, but overall our sport and our athletes are not all like what is being shown. This, IMO, is the low of the low and is an absolute disgrace by AMC painting all of it in this light.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Considering one of my friends has a huge scar and titanium plate in his arm from a spiral fracture from arm wrestling, I will never arm wrestle or watch such again.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 290
I saw the commercial for it, hence my reply earlier. They could have taken it a different direction and I might have checked it out, but it seems like they're going for the 'hey y'all, watch this!' angle and that doesn't appeal to me.

Many many moons ago we had an arm-wrestling club in high school and I was lucky enough to date the captain. Needless to say no one messed with either of us wink.gif.

As you get older three things happen. The first is your memory goes, and I can’t remember the other two.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

I myself was a competitive armwrestler at one point (I won't go so far to say professional like these guys do), so I was amped for this when I first saw the previews a few months back.

Let me just say I find this show extremely insulting to armwrestlers and the sport. I know a lot of you who aren't into it probably think it's just a bunch of Neanderthals in a joke of a sport, and honestly this show doesn't do much to dissuade that notion, but it's not all like that. Hell, most of the sport is highly organized and we have had actual state, national, and world championships for many years now in upscale venues. We aren't pulling in dilapidated barns or shrimp docks or abandoned warehouses like this show implies.

That said, I know it's quick to say this is a joke because of the sport and you'd be right to do so based on this depiction, but overall our sport and our athletes are not all like what is being shown. This, IMO, is the low of the low and is an absolute disgrace by AMC painting all of it in this light.

I don't take the show seriously, but I do like the fact that it's giving more exposure to a sport that I enjoy, albiet in not the most flattering light. That said, my education in marketing has enstilled in me that any publicity is better than NO plubicity...
wink.gif

I've watched most of the guys on the show through Youtube over the years and just thought it would be fun to see something with a higher production value.

The only way ANY newtork would be willing to take on a show about arm wrestling is if they can get the ratings. How do you get ratings?...Incorporate some fabricated unnecessary drama. I mean, take the last episode in the match between Bagent and Tom Nelson. Anyone that follows the sport would know that Bagent has beat Tom Nelson handidly everytime they've ever met...not even a challenge match. Tom knew this, but still had to build the drama for the fans...it is what it is.

Is the drama working? Well, the ratings are in for the first episode...and it's "AMC's highest rated reality TV show premier of all time. <---If that means anything to anyone...lol

With all of that said, I definitely don't see this show lasting more than one season....unless...UNLESS!!!! The Tom Imp's of the nation start coming out of retirement and forming clubs accross the country!
biggrin.gif
Old 03-13-2014, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

With all of that said, I definitely don't see this show lasting more than one season....unless...UNLESS!!!! The Tom Imp's of the nation start coming out of retirement and forming clubs accross the country!
biggrin.gif

While it does get the competitive juices flowing, I'll leave it to some other "old timer" to carry the banner. biggrin.gif
That and New Jersey is pretty pathetic when it comes to armwrestling. When I was competing, there were barely any tournaments held in this state.

Oh, and a quick comment on Travis Bagent. Back in the late 90's he was actually competing in my weight class which at the time was 177-198. Now he's a Super Heavyweight. Considering he's not fat, I've always questioned where all this extra size came from.