Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 150 Old 04-12-2014, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Don't care about the Dodgers. I'm watching the Giants play Colorado OTA in crystal clear 1080i. Granted , we only get a few games OTA but it beats the hell out of paying unreal prices for the games. Sports have become way too expensive to either watch them live or on pay tv.

Isn't that the truth?! A few years ago one of my friends took his kids to see a Professional Football Game (Tampa Bay for the record). He paid almost $300.00 for the tickets. Both his kids played Football in a "Peewee" League.Both of then soon began to get board. They observed the play on the field, and they noticed after a few plays, the players would stop and just stand around for up to five minutes at a time. The asked their Dad "Why aren't the players making their next play, did somebody get injured? (In their league the ONLY time a game got stopped was when a player got injured) During the next pause their Father called a friend and told him what was going on and asked him what was he seeing on TV. His friend said to him, "They are showing their (Expletive Deleted) Commercials. After the Halftime Show they left and went home. Later he told me "I should have taken them to Disney World instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 150 Old 04-12-2014, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I've attended only three NFL games in my lifetime; one in the 70's, one in the 90's, and one in the 00's. The dead time in the stadium nowadays is mind numbing. The NFL has transformed itself over the last 40+ years from a sport "on" TV to a sport "for" TV. The entire game experience is now geared toward the TV viewer instead of the ticket holder.

As far as the thread topic goes, I personally hope this Dodgers Sportsnet LA channel fails miserably. Not because I have anything against the Dodgers, but because if it succeeds I'm afraid too many other teams will start their own channels, creating chaos for fans. Fans have already been left in the lurch by games being moved from OTA channels to subscriber based regional sports channels. Multiple sports channels per city (for cities with single MLB, NHL, NBA, etc. teams) is just overkill to me.
post #123 of 150 Old 04-12-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 384
From the HOTP thread,
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

TV Sports
Spat between Dodgers, Time Warner Cable and DirecTV moves out of town
By Joe Flint, Los Angeles Times' 'Company Town' Blog - Apr. 11, 2014

The tensions between DirecTV and the Dodgers and Time Warner Cable over the team-owned channel SportsNet LA are extending beyond the Los Angeles city limits.

Dodgers officials and executives from Time Warner Cable -- which distributes SportsNet LA -- are privately grumbling that DirecTV has been selective in offering the SportsNet LA feed as part of its "Extra Innings" package. The three are already at odds over the satellite broadcaster's decision not to sign a deal to carry SportsNet LA in Southern California.

Like the NFL Sunday Ticket package, Major League Baseball Network's Extra Innings allows a fan to watch any out-of-market game around the country. Typically, DirecTV offers the broadcasts from both teams.

However, there have been some occasions lately where the SportsNet LA feed was not available for out-of-town Dodgers fans, depriving them of the opportunity to hear Vin Scully. The team and Time Warner Cable think this is DirecTV being petty about the negotiations in Los Angeles for the new channel, although neither would go on the record to voice those complaints.

DirecTV also declined to comment officially on the matter, but an insider countered that there is no conspiracy here and it has shown games from SportsNet LA as part of the out-of-market package. The executive said DirecTV offers as many home and away feeds as its capacity allows, adding that space is exceptionally tight during the month of April because of the large amount of sports it carries, and sometimes there simply isn't room for both feeds for a game.

Last week, Time Warner Cable said DirecTV had walked away from negotiations over SportsNet LA and would not be offering the channel to subscribers this year.

DirecTV denied that was the case but did say it had rejected Time Warner Cable's current offer.

Other distributors including Cox, Verizon FiOS, Dish, AT&T U-Verse and Charter Communications are also not carrying the channel.

Bill Shaikin contributed to this report.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-directv-dodgers-mlb-20140411,0,4120507.story#axzz2yfoL10J7
post #124 of 150 Old 04-13-2014, 12:05 PM
SCO

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So it appears DirecTV may be the fulcrum point on whether Southern California TV Subscribers of all Providers ever get to see Dodger games outside of being a TWC subscriber.
Quote:
After decades of forcing consumers to pay for channels they don't want, the pay-TV industry is strongly resisting Time Warner Cable's efforts to make subscribers of all its rivals pony up $4 to $5 a month for a Dodgers channel.

All eyes are currently on satellite heavyweight DirecTV, whose 1.2 million Los Angeles customers give it a roughly 30% share of the local pay-TV market, slightly less than Time Warner's estimated one-third market share.

DirecTV says it would be happy to provide the channel to anyone who wants it, but so far has rejected Time Warner's insistence that all customers take it. Dish Network, Verizon FiOS and AT&T U-verse reportedly are standing pat until DirecTV either prevails or caves.
At stake, it could be argued, is the future of the pay-TV business.
"This is a big change," said Emily Rusch, executive director of the California Public Interest Research Group. "And wouldn't it be nice for people to pay only for the channels they want to watch?"

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-lazarus-20140411,0,2146385.column#ixzz2ynKfVKjI
post #125 of 150 Old 04-13-2014, 12:07 PM
SCO

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelLAX View Post

Even though you are 2,000 miles away, since you take a more civil tone in these discussions, I am happy to answer your inquiries:

I will not bother to show you the maps of the 6 cities you cite in post 75, but as I pointed out earlier, you are getting your data from these cities' DMA (Designated Market Areas). These are defined terms used by the FCC and advertisers to carve the country into the relevant TV markets.

Los Angeles, as a city, is much smaller than the Los Angeles DMA (as noted in the map I included in post 71). TV homes in rural Kern, San Bernadino, Riverside, and Ventura Counties cannot receive OTA TV; they must either pay for cable/satellite/telco or get no TV at all. Hence their "wired" percentage is much higher than urban Los Angeles and brings the total to a much higher number.

!

Just for the record I live in Ventura (93004) and can easily access all the major networks OTA with a basic Monoprice antenna.
unclehonkey likes this.
post #126 of 150 Old 04-13-2014, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCO View Post

So it appears DirecTV may be the fulcrum point on whether Southern California TV Subscribers of all Providers ever get to see Dodger games outside of being a TWC subscriber.

...if they do not relent and offer an OTA package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCO View Post

Just for the record I live in Ventura (93004) and can easily access all the major networks OTA with a basic Monoprice antenna.

How about KTLA, channel 5, KCAL, channel 9 and KCOP, channel 13, where OTA Dodger games are likely to land?
post #127 of 150 Old 04-13-2014, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Good luck with that, the lakers/time warner pulled all of their OTA games off channel 9 last year.

The dodgers are following the same greed, especially after paying a 30% premium over what they needed to pay to buy the dodgers.

The dodgers and lakers should be on the same channel, IMO
unclehonkey likes this.
post #128 of 150 Old 04-13-2014, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GqMagic View Post

Good luck with that, the lakers/time warner pulled all of their OTA games off channel 9 last year.
With Kobe's health issues and a losing season, no one noticed!

I think you might have similar sentiments with this guy:

biggrin.gif
phildaant likes this.
post #129 of 150 Old 04-13-2014, 01:29 PM

I watch the Clippers, the Lakers are going to be the Knicks West for the foreseeable future.
post #130 of 150 Old 04-13-2014, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyPacks View Post

But steroids is considered illegal in the world of sports. Nobody is going to say picking the broadcaster offering the most money is illegal.

Part of the reason for congressional hearings is to make the congressman look good to their voters. No congressman is going to support your case because among other things, this is a losing battle. They also know that they have no authority to tell how teams choose broadcasters. Maybe you could have used the-sky-is-falling scare tactic, but other teams in baseball and teams in other sports have already gone cable only.

Plus, you want to break an existing contract which means there would be a lawsuit. Good luck finding a judge who would take your side. Even if you somehow won, would there be a local OTA broadcaster willing to pay what the Dodgers get from Time Warner for each game? Not likely unless they started charging viewers to see the game.

Steroids was not "illegal in the world of sports" when Congress took up the issue. Most of the prosecutions were for perjury, not for violations of the crime of steroids.

I do not think your comment about congressional hearings is consistent with political realities of today; but you are entitled to your opinion.

Where did you see that I wanted to break an existing contract?

Once pressure is put on the Dodgers to open their games to OTA (and, oh, did I mention that Time Warner Cable wants federal permission to be absorbed by Comcast!?!), these parties will negotiate an appropriate amendment. Perhaps MLB will have to refund some of their revenue sharing moneys from this deal to recompense TWC for the lessened value of their deal.

AND: Who suggested that a local broadcaster would have to "pay what the Dodgers get from Time Warner for each game?"

Not likely; they will pay their normal market price, plus an adjustment for inflation since the last deal in 2013 (for 50 OTA Dodgers games) and another adjustment for what would probably be less than 50 games.
post #131 of 150 Old 04-13-2014, 03:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post

looking at the directv site this is what they show for the next week

Saturday 742
Sunday 744
Tuesday 748
Wednesday none (it says 745 but that is probably the Giants feed)
Thursday 728
Friday 748

so lets see how close that is to being true smile.gif
Here is where I got that info
http://www.directv.com/sports/mlb_schedules
Well, the Sat and Sun games both aired on the indicated channels and both were SportsNet LA broadcasts.

I won't be able to confirm Tues, Wed and Thurs as I'll be blacked out from those broadcasts anyway as I'm in the Giants TV market.
unclehonkey likes this.
post #132 of 150 Old 04-13-2014, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

OK: Thank you for those confirmations.

It was a side issue in any event, as no one in the Los Angeles OTA region can subscribe to MLB-EI and not have the Dodgers games be blacked out.

post #133 of 150 Old 04-14-2014, 01:07 AM

Liked: 25
Quote:

Where did you see that I wanted to break an existing contract?

Once pressure is put on the Dodgers to open their games to OTA (and, oh, did I mention that Time Warner Cable wants federal permission to be absorbed by Comcast!?!), these parties will negotiate an appropriate amendment.

Not like I am in favor of a merger, but there is a contract in place for Time Warner to broadcast all the Dodger games. Time Warner therefore had to make a capital investment for this to happen. They also hired people for this as well. Conversely, no other local broadcaster have made any preparations to broadcast Dodger games this year, so you cannot just flip a switch at a moment's notice.

I am hoping no amendment will happen because the merger is not going through.
Quote:

Perhaps MLB will have to refund some of their revenue sharing moneys from this deal to recompense TWC for the lessened value of their deal.

Contract is already signed and approved by all parties. They are not going to change it now and refund any money. As I said before, you should have done this complaining earlier as it is way too late.
Quote:

AND: Who suggested that a local broadcaster would have to "pay what the Dodgers get from Time Warner for each game?"

Not likely; they will pay their normal market price, plus an adjustment for inflation since the last deal in 2013 (for 50 OTA Dodgers games) and another adjustment for what would probably be less than 50 games.

Seriously, now you want to dictate what a team get revenue-wise from their local broadcasters? When the Dodger's contract expired, every local broadcaster had a chance to pick them up, including Fox Sports/Prime Ticket. For better or worse, Time Warner gave the Dodgers most money so they took that offer. Nothing illegal about that. That is all anybody cares if you want 3rd-party action.

For some reason, you think it is alright if other teams do it, just not the Dodgers. Last I checked, SoCal residents are not guaranteed a right to watch the Dodgers for free.

Personally, if I did not like something a team did, I would just not support them anymore and find some else to do with my time.
post #134 of 150 Old 04-14-2014, 01:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Not like I am in favor of a merger, but there is a contract in place for Time Warner to broadcast all the Dodger games. Time Warner therefore had to make a capital investment for this to happen. They also hired people for this as well. Conversely, no other local broadcaster have made any preparations to broadcast Dodger games this year, so you cannot just flip a switch at a moment's notice.

Veteran actor Mickey Rooney just passed away and Turner Classic Movies (TCM) just flipped a switch and played 24 hours of his movies today, even though they had a completely different published schedule and today was the last day of their Classic Film Festival in Los Angeles. Broadcaster adapt to changing situations all the time...
Quote:

As I said before, you should have done this complaining earlier as it is way too late.

Really!?! When should I have done my complaining: last year when 50 Dodgers games were telecast OTA; or how about the day after they failed to invite me to the negotiating table for the new deal!?! You really stretch this point beyond the realm of credibility...
Quote:

For some reason, you think it is alright if other teams do it, just not the Dodgers. Last I checked, SoCal residents are not guaranteed a right to watch the Dodgers for free.

Where do you come up with these statements? Where did I say that it is alright for other teams to do it? Seriously, you can do better than continuing to make claims on my behalf that I never made; just so you can knock them down!
Quote:

Personally, if I did not like something a team did, I would just not support them anymore and find some else to do with my time.

I get it! So, Maybe if the fans in all of those other cities that lost their OTA local baseball team's games did not have your attitude, they would not be locked out of OTA baseball now.

There is more than one way to skin a cat. That's why Heinz has 57 varieties! smile.gif
post #135 of 150 Old 04-15-2014, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Dodgers on Fox Sports 1, Saturday. Is it a National Broadcast or Blacked out here in S. Ca.???
post #136 of 150 Old 04-15-2014, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

It should not be blacked out in Los Angeles, as FOX spent much money to MLB for their Saturday package and hence they have priority. Their deal presumably allows the local RSN to simultaneously broadcast it as well, as noted here:

Not unlike ESPN's Sunday evening package, which, however, usually is exclusive and does not allow for RSN co-broadcast; for example as noted here:

post #137 of 150 Old 04-15-2014, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

I just noticed that the Saturday game starts after 5pm. Historically FOX's priority on Saturday ended at 7pm Eastern Time (4pm Pacific) and hence maybe there will be a blackout! eek.gif

Time will tell...
post #138 of 150 Old 04-15-2014, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Should be interesting to see what happens on Sat...
As an aside I checked out the Angels /A's game on FSW last night and it looked dark and blurry on both Cox and Direc.. Checked out ESPN and they also had the game with no black-out in S. Ca. It was like watching a perfect Day game. Bright, clear HD with what appeared to be a Hi-bandwidth presentation on both Cox and Direc. Same Live game, Head to Head, on 2 providers, Night and Day diff.. The Big A looks like a dungeon on FSW, and a stadium with new lights on Espn.. Why???
post #139 of 150 Old 04-15-2014, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Each provider makes their own decisions on how much digital compression they will use to cram as much content on their cable/satellite feeds, in addition to the originator also using compression.

So, of course ESPN will care more about the quality of their presentation at the headend, than will FOX Sports West, Cox and DirecTV downstream, and hence ESPN uses less compression to begin with!

Also, they probably have contractual control on how much, if any, more compression the distributions can add to the mix; as noted by the quality of the Discovery Theater and AXS-TV channels, which have more contractual control on their station's look!
post #140 of 150 Old 04-15-2014, 02:55 PM

FOX Sports 1 games are co-exists. The new MLB contracts essentially get rid of local blackouts for nationally televised games, but local broadcasters are allowed to air games locally. (Actual FOX games are exclusive.)

Max Vrany
All opinions are my own unless otherwise specified.
I make no guarantees as to the accuracy of any information given.
GO Pack GO! On Wisconsin! Go Brewers!
post #141 of 150 Old 04-16-2014, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

Don't want to hi-jack the thread but I hope FSW takes a look at their presentation. It's horrible, at least from the Big A. Kings games usually look good on FSW. Go figure.. Discovery Theater, is that Velocity now, which looks horrible on Cox. Thanx
post #142 of 150 Old 04-16-2014, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

I just noticed that the Saturday game starts after 5pm. Historically FOX's priority on Saturday ended at 7pm Eastern Time (4pm Pacific) and hence maybe there will be a blackout! eek.gif

Time will tell...

that ended with the new contract this year. There is no "exclusive window" on Saturdays anymore.
When Big Fox carries the regional games this year they will also be on MLB EI so the "other" games on Fox you can see on MLB EI if you wanted too
post #143 of 150 Old 04-20-2014, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Last night's Dodger game was on FS1 live in S. Ca. No Black-out. PLEASE get rid of the Bottom Blue score line during Live games
post #144 of 150 Old 04-20-2014, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

A strip of masking tape, will take care of that problem...
post #145 of 150 Old 04-20-2014, 01:37 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:

Veteran actor Mickey Rooney just passed away and Turner Classic Movies (TCM) just flipped a switch and played 24 hours of his movies today, even though they had a completely different published schedule and today was the last day of their Classic Film Festival in Los Angeles. Broadcaster adapt to changing situations all the time...

You cannot compare putting together a live broadcast from multiple cities in around the country to putting in a tape in a machine.

Quote:

Really!?! When should I have done my complaining: last year when 50 Dodgers games were telecast OTA; or how about the day after they failed to invite me to the negotiating table for the new deal!?! You really stretch this point beyond the realm of credibility...

Where do you come up with these statements? Where did I say that it is alright for other teams to do it? Seriously, you can do better than continuing to make claims on my behalf that I never made; just so you can knock them down!

Channel was announced over a year ago in January 2013. Before that there was period where various channels were making a pitch to the Dodgers. Were you complaining then? Were you complaining when the Lakers, Kings, Angels, and others moved to almost no OTA?

Quote:

I get it! So, Maybe if the fans in all of those other cities that lost their OTA local baseball team's games did not have your attitude, they would not be locked out of OTA baseball now.

Attitude means crap. Sports teams are only in it for the money. Because pay channels get money from subscribers, they can offer more money than OTA channels. Cable companies can offer not only money, but a dedicated channel on their system. At this date where everything is already signed, sealed and delivered, It does not matter what you or I think of their decision. That is the way it is. If you do not like it, do not support them. Take your money elsewhere. Why would you even support a team that is doing something that obviously bothers you? Follow another team via mlb.tv, a different league, or even a different sport.

Getting the masses to not support the Dodgers would probably be the best way to get them notice your displeasure. All the other ways are not realistic.
unclehonkey likes this.
post #146 of 150 Old 04-20-2014, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Getting the masses to not support the Dodgers would probably be the best way to get them notice your displeasure. All the other ways are not realistic.
I hope you will not be insulted if I do not take your advice, nor accept your conclusion...
post #147 of 150 Old 04-21-2014, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Masking Tape will not allow me to see all of the Field. I am a proponent of less clutter on the Screen. Interestingly the Live Angel games on FSW have no Blue Bottom line. [Just lousy video]. Most of the other Sports presentations do.
BTW, Ducks/ Stars Play-off game tonight is on LA 56 Free, OTA in HD... Ducks are just about the last local Pro team with a Free TV package......
post #148 of 150 Old 04-21-2014, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lucca View Post

Last night's Dodger game was on FS1 live in S. Ca... PLEASE get rid of the Bottom Blue score line during Live games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lucca View Post

Masking Tape will not allow me to see all of the Field. I am a proponent of less clutter on the Screen...
What am I missing here?
post #149 of 150 Old 04-21-2014, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

You posted the masking tape comment... I commented that the Dodger game was on FS1 Sat. night, with the dumb blue score line at the bottom. See # 143,144, and 147 above...
post #150 of 150 Old 04-21-2014, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Thank you for recounting what I did...

A common practice by those who DVR (tape) other games is that while they watch one game, they have placed a piece of masking tape along the bottom horizontal edge of the screen so that the ticker does not ruin it for them by recounting the scores of other games.

Perhaps you were recounting a different problem for you and my suggestion has no relevance...

For example, here is a similar discussion of the problem with regards to NFL broadcasts:
Quote:
That's why in case of CBS tickers I cover it with a long thin paper across my monitor and for FOX tickers a small black post-it right where they show scores. If I don't do this, then it's too damn hard not to notice scores. The thing that annoys me is not the tickers but when commentators suddenly talk about results and/or show updated standings right in the middle of the screen before I can skip a few seconds of the game I'm watching.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page