DODGERS SPORTSNET LA CHANNEL? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 150 Old 03-11-2014, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am currently a Directv subscriber and I am wondering what the latest information is on the possiblity of Directv picking up the Los Angeles Dodger Baseball Channel, called SportsNet LA?
I Appreciate any information that you might have. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 150 Old 03-11-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 351
May not happen til Opening Day if at all. Don't hold your breath. DirecTV never added the Pac-12 network although they did add the Lakers channel two weeks into the 2012-13 season.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2014/02/25/dodgers-signed-a-mega-86-billion-pact-with-time-warner-cable/5819387/

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-dodgers-channel-20140226,0,4701306.story#axzz2viJB8Wn3

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-dodgers-channel-launch-20140224,0,4524006.story#axzz2viJB8Wn3

http://www.tvpredictions.com/answer187022714.htm

Afro GT
post #3 of 150 Old 03-11-2014, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVMARTY View Post

I am currently a Directv subscriber and I am wondering what the latest information is on the possiblity of Directv picking up the Los Angeles Dodger Baseball Channel, called SportsNet LA?
I Appreciate any information that you might have. Thanks in advance

TWC (co-owners with the Dodgers) want the cable companies and DBS to fork over $5 per basic subscriber, and they won't permit a la carte or tiered placement. Nobody is biting.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-dodger-tv-20140218,0,1500435.story#ixzz2tkCaD5Ch
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-dodgers-channel-launch-20140224,0,4524006.story#ixzz2uK5utnDu
post #4 of 150 Old 03-12-2014, 02:01 PM

Liked: 10
As noted in the LA times today.... these deals are signed very close to the start of the season... and sometimes 2-3 weeks after the start of the season as the carriage partners try to hold out as long as possible in hopes that the sports network (TWC in this example) will take less... similar negotiation to the Lakers Network launched in 2012 (Also TWC) -- stick with DTV and you'll have your Dodgers very soon...
post #5 of 150 Old 03-15-2014, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 50
And this is why my bill keeps going up frown.gif
post #6 of 150 Old 03-15-2014, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 227
And we care about the Dodgers why?
post #7 of 150 Old 03-16-2014, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

And we care about the Dodgers why?
Because the Bay Area NEEDS to HATE LA! biggrin.gif Funny thing is both those teams came from NYC.
post #8 of 150 Old 03-16-2014, 12:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 310
And the Dodgers were still better than the Giants back then. biggrin.gif
post #9 of 150 Old 03-16-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post

Because the Bay Area NEEDS to HATE LA! biggrin.gif Funny thing is both those teams came from NYC.

biggrin.gif Very good point! I just hope your pay-tv rates don't go up because of it.
post #10 of 150 Old 03-16-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

And the Dodgers were still better than the Giants back then. biggrin.gif

Point. But it's still a good rivalry though as long as the fans behave frown.gif
post #11 of 150 Old 03-16-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Point. But it's still a good rivalry though as long as the fans behave frown.gif
Indeed.
post #12 of 150 Old 03-16-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

If the fans continue getting worse, then the teams will need to start kicking a larger ball around between goals.
post #13 of 150 Old 03-16-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

That's why I stopped going to Raider games as well as Giants/Dogders games. However, Giants/Dodgers games at Spring Training are a lot of fun. Baseball as it should be played with lots of kids and friendly rivalry between the fans.
post #14 of 150 Old 04-08-2014, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
70% of Los Angeles is currently blacked out from seeing the Dodgers, but the real crime is...

30% of Los Angeles does not have cable. Most of these Dodgers fans cannot afford cable/satellite/telco and certainly cannot afford to go see a game live.

Last year 50 games were offered on FREE over the air TV; this year NONE!

Even the greedy New York Yankees with their YES Channel offers 21 games to its fans on WWOR-TV.

The Dodgers: not so much!

Major League Baseball is the only professional sport that is allowed the legal luxury of an exemption from the antitrust laws; which allows them to make anti-competitive, anti-public interest decisions.

It is time for Dodger fans to let their representatives in Congress know that this antitrust exemption should be repealed!

That'll get their attention...

post #15 of 150 Old 04-08-2014, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Very well said Lax. The longer it takes for Cable, Satellite, and Telco providers to pay Time Warner's ransom demands the lower the increase will be to the consumer. It is just unbelievable that both the Lakers and Dodgers will show 0 games on Ch. 9, OTA. Looks like the Ducks are pretty much the last Pro team to show regular games OTA in S. Ca. Any Angels, Kings, and Clippers games still OTA?? Not many, if any.. The Greed is getting nauseating.....
As greedy as the NFL is, they just added 8 Thursday night games on CBS, and ALL of the Play-off games are on Free TV... So far..
post #16 of 150 Old 04-08-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

While I agree with the above about the costs getting out of hand, don't kid yourself either, if the Yankees could have every one of their games on YES Network they would, no doubt there's some stipulation in the current contract that requires them to allow some free OTA broadcasts,

Fans like to think these sorts of situations are because the team is caring for them, but it's a business, and that bottom line will always override any goodwill concern for the fans.
post #17 of 150 Old 04-08-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I was all worried that vetizon fios wouldn't get twc sports for the lakers.

Then the lakers took a nosedive.

Will history repeat itself.

Frankly I hope NOBODY pays up. That'll teach them.
post #18 of 150 Old 04-08-2014, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelLAX View Post

Even the greedy New York Yankees with their YES Channel offers 21 games to its fans on WWOR-TV.

The Dodgers: not so much!
That's because the Dodgers have something the Yankees don't: Magic.
post #19 of 150 Old 04-08-2014, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Which means they can be greedier than the Yankees?!?
post #20 of 150 Old 04-08-2014, 05:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Up until this season, and the new TV contract, the Dodgers had almost a third of all their games available via OTA broadcasts, one of the highest amounts in baseball.

So you could look at it as making up for lost revenue that other teams have been collecting for years. biggrin.gif
post #21 of 150 Old 04-08-2014, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post

That's because the Dodgers have something the Yankees don't: Magic.

As witnessed by their season (home) opener against the Giants wink.gif
post #22 of 150 Old 04-09-2014, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Padres games were not available to San Diego Time Warner customers for two full seasons before they finally came to terms with Fox Sports San Diego in early 2014. All the other local providers (Cox cable, Direct TV, DISH, ATT U-verse) carried FSSD and the Padres right from the beginning. TWC held out due to cost. The situtation with Sportsnet LA is just the reverse, now TWC has the content, and the other providers are balking at the cost. Ironically, I get Sportsnet LA on TWC in San Diego, although the actual Dodger games are not shown due to MLB rules against broadcasting into another teams home market.
post #23 of 150 Old 04-09-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

If you are located out of the LA market and have a provider such as DIRECTV that has the MLB-EI package you can watch Dodger games on Sports Net LA as the channel is available that way, it's just for the game only and the feed gets pulled when the game is over. I've been watching games on the channel all week during the free preview and plan to re-up the MLB-EI package with DIRECTV today.

For those DIRECTV subs that reside in the LA area there's always the "move" option, of course that will disrupt your local channel lineup as well though.
post #24 of 150 Old 04-09-2014, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lucca View Post

Very well said Lax. The longer it takes for Cable, Satellite, and Telco providers to pay Time Warner's ransom demands the lower the increase will be to the consumer. It is just unbelievable that both the Lakers and Dodgers will show 0 games on Ch. 9, OTA. Looks like the Ducks are pretty much the last Pro team to show regular games OTA in S. Ca. Any Angels, Kings, and Clippers games still OTA?? Not many, if any.. The Greed is getting nauseating.....
As greedy as the NFL is, they just added 8 Thursday night games on CBS, and ALL of the Play-off games are on Free TV... So far..

In an interview with Jeannie Buss in today's LA Times, when asked: "The Dodgers are getting an earful about their TV deal from fans who can't see the games" she replied: "We went through that last year, and it's tough, but the deal we did allowed all our games to be in one place. Before, half our games were on Fox and the other half were on KCAL. Each of them had other programming after the game or before. The Laker channel allows us to have pregame and postgame shows, and ancillary programming; it allows people more of a connection with the team."

YEAH: "People" who have cable have more of a connection with the team! One third of Los Angeles without cable: not so much!

These types of statements show how much ownership is out of touch with their core fan base. They abandon them at their own peril!
post #25 of 150 Old 04-09-2014, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

While I agree with the above about the costs getting out of hand, don't kid yourself either, if the Yankees could have every one of their games on YES Network they would, no doubt there's some stipulation in the current contract that requires them to allow some free OTA broadcasts,

Fans like to think these sorts of situations are because the team is caring for them, but it's a business, and that bottom line will always override any goodwill concern for the fans.
I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that the Yankees have no such contractual obligation and yet realize that to move ALL of their games to cable will only lead them to their own worst fear: repeal of the MLB antitrust exemption! In that regard, smart thinking overrode their greed. Dodgers management need to be taken to the woodshed by MLB's general counsel.
post #26 of 150 Old 04-09-2014, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you are located out of the LA market and have a provider such as DIRECTV that has the MLB-EI package you can watch Dodger games on Sports Net LA as the channel is available that way, it's just for the game only and the feed gets pulled when the game is over. I've been watching games on the channel all week during the free preview and plan to re-up the MLB-EI package with DIRECTV today.

WRONG: You were, at best, watching the opposing teams' home feed (or taking a snooze! smile.gif ). The MLB-EI package on DirecTV does NOT have the SportNet LA games, including during the free preview.

I attempted to do the same thing and each day the Dodger home feed channel was pulled before the game.
post #27 of 150 Old 04-09-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that the Yankees have no such contractual obligation and yet realize that to move ALL of their games to cable will only lead them to their own worst fear: repeal of the MLB antitrust exemption! In that regard, smart thinking overrode their greed. Dodgers management need to be taken to the woodshed by MLB's general counsel.
Maybe so, but also consider that MLB, and by extension every one of the other 29 teams is also profiting hugely because of this Dodger TV deal because of the revenue sharing system the league uses.

Also, while I agree the Dodgers due bear some responsibility for this situation I believe the overwhelming amount of anger should be directed at TWC for even agreeing to this contract in the first place. They outbid 2 other entities to get the contract, agreeing to an insane amount, and now the fans are the losers.
post #28 of 150 Old 04-09-2014, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The Pay-TV and Professional Sports Businesses know they are in trouble. All these multi-billion dollar deals HAVE to be payed by someone. Consequently both of them are pricing themselves out of the market. I see the hand writing on the wall. Sooner or later both of them will come crashing down. I feel sorry locals can no longer see their teams play because they can't afford pay-TV. Does anyone remember when Movie Theaters would show a short urging customers to sign a petition to congress asking them to BAN Pay TV? Guess what? THEY WERE RIGHT!!! mad.gif
post #29 of 150 Old 04-09-2014, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

For those DIRECTV subs that reside in the LA area there's always the "move" option, of course that will disrupt your local channel lineup as well though.
For those DirecTV subs that reside in the LA area in the TWC zone, such as myself, there's always the option to subscribe to TWC's Standard TV package that includes SNLA.

Why did I do this?

1) I wanted to see the Dodgers but do so with the least positive financial impact to TWC. By keeping my DirecTV package, I deny TWC their "profit" from all of the other premium content that I purchase from DirecTV. And at $30 per month with no contract, this is a loss leader for TWC, who is losing money on me, especially when I cancel my subscription when the regular baseball season ends.

2) I invite all of my friends to come over and watch any and all Dodgers games that they are missing.

3) I connected my Slingbox to the TWC receiver and I regularly invite a "guest" to preview this technology.
post #30 of 150 Old 04-09-2014, 10:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

WRONG: You were, at best, watching the opposing teams' home feed (or taking a snooze! smile.gif ). The MLB-EI package on DirecTV does NOT have the SportNet LA games, including during the free preview.

I attempted to do the same thing and each day the Dodger home feed channel was pulled before the game.
Do you reside in the LA market? if so, that's why the feed was pulled, it would be blacked out in your area as you are expected to watch the game on your local station(RSN), which of course, DIRECTV does not carry.

I can guarantee you I was watching Sports Net LA with Vin Scully at the mic all last week, and last night's game as well was available via the SNLA broadcast - to out of market subscribers.
unclehonkey likes this.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page