Maneuvering March Madness - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 03-19-2014, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 1185

For denizens of the northern hemisphere, March brings an end to winter (though you might not know it this year if you live in the northeastern US). But for college-basketball buffs, it also brings the insanity of March Madness, when teams compete in a complex schedule to determine the year's best, and fans try to predict the outcomes of those games—and often wager accordingly—in diagrams known as brackets.

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

Speaking of wagers, Quicken Loans and Yahoo Sports are sponsoring a Billion Dollar Bracket Challenge, which will pay one billion dollars, insured by Warren Buffet's Berkshire Hathaway holding company, for a perfectly predicted bracket submitted by 1:00 AM EDT on March 20. But the odds of winning have been calculated at one in more than 9 quintillion—you have a much better chance at winning the lottery. (The New York Times Opinion Pages have an interesting analysis of this challenge.)

Naturally, those who follow college hoops will be watching the games on TV. But according to an article at re/code, many of the games will only be available on TNT, TBS, and TruTV, including the two semifinal games on April 5, so fans must have cable or satellite service with one of more of those channels.

What about streaming the games? Like the recently concluded Winter Olympics, the games of March Madness will be available online via apps for iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Kindle, and other platforms, but the games broadcast on the Turner channels can be viewed online only by authenticating—proving that you have a pay-TV subscription with those channels. The games broadcast by CBS—including the final on April 7—will be streamed for free.

According to an article at All Things D, major sports have been migrating from free broadcast channels to pay channels for some time, and that trend is likely to accelerate, especially if Aereo wins its case before the US Supreme Court. If it does, content providers such as CBS and Fox have said they will move their best programming away from broadcast TV.

In any event, the Television-Industrial Complex clearly has a vested interest in keeping eyeballs on TV screens and the advertising they deliver. Of course, ads can be delivered to streaming devices as well—in fact, those ads can be much more targeted to individual viewers than TV commercials. But business models are slow to change, and I suspect that TV commercials still generate a lot more revenue than online ads, so don't expect the trend requiring a pay-TV subscription to view big-time programming online to reverse itself any time soon.

Do you succumb to March Madness? If so, how will you be watching the games? Have you entered the Quicken Loans Billion Dollar Bracket Challenge?

Like AVS Forum on Facebook

Follow AVS Forum on Twitter

+1 AVS Forum on Google+

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-20-2014, 12:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

Do you succumb to March Madness? If so, how will you be watching the games? Have you entered the Quicken Loans Billion Dollar Bracket Challenge?

I don't exactly succumb to the madness, generally only watching a fraction of the games, until the Final Four. But as a long-suffering UVA fan and alumnus, native and resident of Charlottesville, I haven't been this excited about MM for decades.

It was great that we had a well-timed snowstorm that cancelled classes and gave UVA students an extra day to celebrate and/or recover after our ACC championship.

Go Hoos!
post #3 of 20 Old 03-20-2014, 12:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I'm all in on March Madness every year.....sometimes in Las Vegas, this year thou at home.
I have a 3 TV setup that I use to watch multiple games for occasions just like this.

While I do a few brackets and other action on the games, I did not enter into the Billion Dollar Bracket Challenge.

Go Cats!
post #4 of 20 Old 03-20-2014, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 110
They have disabled Air Play from the iOS app, but mirroring your desktop via Air Play is still possible.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #5 of 20 Old 03-20-2014, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 968
anybody in canada figured out a way to get this?
or should i say, anybody in canada NOT in ontario figure out a way? seems TSN is about the only hope, and although i get TSN, shaw cable is not a 'partner' and i can not stream anything.

looking for a way to get the games on at school in the background of phys ed class...

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #6 of 20 Old 03-21-2014, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Should be a national holiday smile.gif I always take off the first 2 days of the Tournament. Watching on the big screen, laptop and Android app. Let's Go Orange!!!
post #7 of 20 Old 03-21-2014, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Seeya Dookies!!!!!

biggrin.gif
post #8 of 20 Old 03-21-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Add Stanford (#10) and Tennessee (#11) who march on. Tennessee vs Mercer to go to sweet 16 - bet you saw that one coming. rolleyes.gif
post #9 of 20 Old 03-27-2014, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Regional finals march 27-29.... ON!! News and more.... http://entertainment.wagerweb.ag/sports/college-basketball

post #10 of 20 Old 03-27-2014, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Today game on!!

post #11 of 20 Old 03-27-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 441
I have more interest in tomorrow's games. Some excellent matchups, and the odds are much closer. Go UVA!

I've seen more players slip in this tournament than I saw the entire season. Why the NBA players don't slip to the degree these kids do is surprising. Maybe the NBA mops the court more frequently. I don't know what the answer is, but playing over ice has its risks.
post #12 of 20 Old 03-27-2014, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I've seen more players slip in this tournament than I saw the entire season. Why the NBA players don't slip to the degree these kids do is surprising. Maybe the NBA mops the court more frequently. I don't know what the answer is, but playing over ice has its risks.

The NCAA uses special courts only for the tournament for all the venues they play at, so the courts are only used for 2 weeks at most a year.
The Final Four venue has a new court built for the facility every year.
post #13 of 20 Old 03-28-2014, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

I have more interest in tomorrow's games. Some excellent matchups, and the odds are much closer. Go UVA!

Yeah- go Hoos! Tough game tomorrow night- MSU is looking mighty tough since they've got everybody healthy. If we can get by them, we should be able to get into the Final Four. What a job Tony Bennett has done creating a team that functions much better than the sum of it's parts. An awesome season that is a testament to teamwork and character winning out over individual ability.
post #14 of 20 Old 03-28-2014, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles O View Post

The NCAA uses special courts only for the tournament for all the venues they play at, so the courts are only used for 2 weeks at most a year.
The Final Four venue has a new court built for the facility every year.

Thanks for that piece of info, I didn't know that. For those like me that didn't know, I did some checking and found this interesting article.

Four sites for the tournament are over NFL ice, I'm not sure if any of the others are over college rinks or not, so I'm not ready to dismiss the ice as a contributor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWinVA View Post

Yeah- go Hoos! Tough game tomorrow night- MSU is looking mighty tough since they've got everybody healthy. If we can get by them, we should be able to get into the Final Four. What a job Tony Bennett has done creating a team that functions much better than the sum of it's parts. An awesome season that is a testament to teamwork and character winning out over individual ability.

If the defense plays the way it did during the last 30 minutes against Memphis, I like their chances. A Memphis player said he'd never played against a better defense in his collegiate career. I love being the underdog and discounted. It makes a win that much more satisfying. smile.gif

Tobey needs to step up big tonight. He's played better the last couple of games, but he's been a disappointment this season. For some reason he lost confidence and regressed.
post #15 of 20 Old 03-28-2014, 06:55 AM

University of Northern Iowa owns the floor that they beat Kansas on in 2010. biggrin.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzUFz-58PPA

post #16 of 20 Old 03-28-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Thanks for that piece of info, I didn't know that. For those like me that didn't know, I did some checking and found this interesting article.

Four sites for the tournament are over NFL ice, I'm not sure if any of the others are over college rinks or not, so I'm not ready to dismiss the ice as a contributor.
If the defense plays the way it did during the last 30 minutes against Memphis, I like their chances. A Memphis player said he'd never played against a better defense in his collegiate career. I love being the underdog and discounted. It makes a win that much more satisfying. smile.gif

Tobey needs to step up big tonight. He's played better the last couple of games, but he's been a disappointment this season. For some reason he lost confidence and regressed.

Their D is amazing. The way they play as an organic whole is a triumph of coaching. Great communication, all-out effort and complete devotion to a solid scheme.

I also expected more from Tobey this year. He's shown he's very capable, but has been very inconsistent. But he's still young and sometimes just isn't decisive enough at times and doesn't seem to possess that killer instinct- yet. But I think he's gonna become a star by the time he graduates.

But what's so great about this team is that so many different players can step up on any given night. You know Harris and Brogden will get their points, but any of the others can have a big night to support them. AG has been a beast this whole post-season. And Perrantes just keeps getting better- what a freshman!

It's so enjoyable b/c they are the consummate team. The best UVA team ever (never won both the reg season and tournament before), yet their leading scorer has the lowest avg. ever for the team's leader.

It's amazing how little respect they get- still. Just b/c we don't have a superstar. But JH could have been a superstar, had he not given in so completely to the team concept. It was so great to see him get ACC tourney MVP. And he stepped it up against Memphis. Here's hoping he stays hot and makes the All-regional team- then takes the Final Four MVP. That young man defines character imo.
post #17 of 20 Old 03-28-2014, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
watching march madness in hd on tbs compared to on cbs is like picking apples and oranges. The hd feed of tbs is horrible and the audio is mostly mono compared to the full 5.1 of cbs. Reminds me of watching knicks games on MSG HD where as rangers games use the full 5.1 effect. The commentary on the uconn michigan state game is horrible. Hopefully i see an elite 8 rematch of the Michigan rivalry. I will fall asleep once the late games start. Thank god for Sportscenter.
post #18 of 20 Old 03-28-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kascnef82 View Post

The commentary on the uconn michigan state game is horrible.

It must've been bad, considering UCONN played Iowa State.

post #19 of 20 Old 03-30-2014, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Again the MSG feed from CBS sucks. The audio is mono compared to 5.1 for the rest of the games. Commercials are in 5.1. Watching in nyc on fios. Msg needs to upgrade its system to 5.1 for sporting events....
post #20 of 20 Old 03-30-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm getting 5.1 OTA on CBS. It's a weak surround, but its there.
Reply HDTV Programming