post #91 of 278 Old 04-03-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Oh, and by the way, I think that particular plot point was done much better on this show than on

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The Walking Dead

...as much as I hate to admit it...
Adolescent psychopaths seems to be a growing theme in survivalist type shows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 278 Old 04-03-2014, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by keenan View Post

> Adam had the appearance of being exposed to heavy doses of radiation, no doubt from the duststorm that he couldn't find cover from. (no amount of Benadryl is going to fix that! biggrin.gif )

If it was exposure to radiation that caused all those blisters (second-degree burns?), would any medicine help him?

That radiation dust storm does seem rather improbable after nearly 100 years. I think there is more to that dust storm than we know so far. Maybe a nuclear reactor recently had a core melt-down or a containment wall recently breached.

Depending on the type of radiation, Adam's contract may have failed renegotiations days may be numbered.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #93 of 278 Old 04-03-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post

If it was exposure to radiation that caused all those blisters (second-degree burns?), would any medicine help him?

That radiation dust storm does seem rather improbable after nearly 100 years. I think there is more to that dust storm than we know so far. Maybe a nuclear reactor recently had a core melt-down or a containment wall recently breached.

Depending on the type of radiation, Adam's contract may have failed renegotiations days may be numbered.
Radiation can last for thousands of years so a sandstorm containing radioactive particles is not really a stretch. I agree the seemingly controlled nature of it seemed a bit odd, but if you've ever seen dust devils before it's not really that strange to see.

I'm glad to see the show is killing people off, otherwise it would have been just another CW teen/YA romance show, albeit with a very different setting.
post #94 of 278 Old 04-03-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 386
It didn't seem to cause the symptoms of a radioactive storm, though. One of those would be mostly dirt and dust contaminated by radiation, which wouldn't burn you like exposure to the gamma radiation from proximity to a blast site. The effects would likely be more like that of what happened to the bulk of the cast and crew of "The Conquerer", who were exposed to radiactive dust storms during filming from previous testing upwind. Basically, it seems no different than a normal dust storm, then you die of cancer a decade or two later.

Don't forget, 100 years after a radioactive event, the radiation would be gone from the air itself. However, it would be coating surfaces, meaning dust picked up by the wind would be covered in it. Even handling the vegetation would likely expose you to it. Just walking on dry dirt could kick up radiative matter to allow you to breath it in.

In any case, a radioactive storm cloud would pick up from the ground and be more like a sandstorm, rather than a fog coming out of the sky that includes lightning. Radioactive isotopes would be unlikely to stay airborn due to their heavy atomic weights compared to atmospheric gasses.

Plus, if they suffered the affects of radiation that fast - skin burns and respiratory issues, etc - their hair would likely be falling out in clumps and there would be bleeding from various sensitive areas, like the gums and nasal passages.

This seemed more like some sort of poison gas. My guess:

It felt like a cloud of ammonia based on it causing burns and people being so quickly overcome by the gas. I don't know where such a thing would come from, but that's what it seemed like to me.

It could also be something released as a result of chemical warfare.
post #95 of 278 Old 04-03-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:

Radiation can last for thousands of years so a sandstorm containing radioactive particles is not really a stretch. I agree the seemingly controlled nature of it seemed a bit odd, but if you've ever seen dust devils before it's not really that strange to see.

I haven't seen dust devils that large nor dust devils that glow. And if the dust raised from the ground glows, I would expect some glowing from the ground, too.

Hopefully in a later episode we find out what the glowing dust devil really is before we stop watching out of boredom. ;)

Keenan likes this.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #96 of 278 Old 04-04-2014, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 335
I thought this episide was an improvement over last week before the ending, even if Charlotte was clearly entering the realms of Creepy Children. They toned down the Leader of the Pack and shifted the balance of power slightly.

Resolving a past feud betweeen the leads with a typically nice resolution and then violently killing a main character was ballsy! I have no doubt he will reappear in a flashback but the show just developed some guts beyond the usual network fare. Let's see if they can keep it up.

4 down. 93 to go?

post #97 of 278 Old 04-04-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Adolescent psychopaths seems to be a growing theme in survivalist type shows.

Agree.  That along with showing pools of blood.

post #98 of 278 Old 04-04-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingRat View Post

Agree.  That along with showing pools of blood.
Charlotte's got a ways to go before she's up to Lizzy-level psychopathy, there's still plenty of time though! tongue.gif
post #99 of 278 Old 04-04-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

It didn't seem to cause the symptoms of a radioactive storm, though. One of those would be mostly dirt and dust contaminated by radiation, which wouldn't burn you like exposure to the gamma radiation from proximity to a blast site. The effects would likely be more like that of what happened to the bulk of the cast and crew of "The Conquerer", who were exposed to radiactive dust storms during filming from previous testing upwind. Basically, it seems no different than a normal dust storm, then you die of cancer a decade or two later.

Don't forget, 100 years after a radioactive event, the radiation would be gone from the air itself. However, it would be coating surfaces, meaning dust picked up by the wind would be covered in it. Even handling the vegetation would likely expose you to it. Just walking on dry dirt could kick up radiative matter to allow you to breath it in.

In any case, a radioactive storm cloud would pick up from the ground and be more like a sandstorm, rather than a fog coming out of the sky that includes lightning. Radioactive isotopes would be unlikely to stay airborn due to their heavy atomic weights compared to atmospheric gasses.

Plus, if they suffered the affects of radiation that fast - skin burns and respiratory issues, etc - their hair would likely be falling out in clumps and there would be bleeding from various sensitive areas, like the gums and nasal passages.

This seemed more like some sort of poison gas. My guess:

It felt like a cloud of ammonia based on it causing burns and people being so quickly overcome by the gas. I don't know where such a thing would come from, but that's what it seemed like to me.

It could also be something released as a result of chemical warfare.

Quote:

I haven't seen dust devils that large nor dust devils that glow. And if the dust raised from the ground glows, I would expect some glowing from the ground, too.

Hopefully in a later episode we find out what the glowing dust devil really is before we stop watching out of boredom. wink.gif
I concede that this particular "storm cloud" was not normal, but I still have no doubt that even after 100 years there will still be deadly levels of radiation around that can be easily be whipped up into the atmosphere, water, anywhere microscopic particles can go. If it turns out that the cloud is being controlled in a sentient manner I'll be disappointed, I would much prefer the show stay somewhat more grounded in basic reality instead of going full sci-fi mode. The chemical weapons gone awry idea seems very plausible, definitely agree there.

Put it this way, if the smart folks on that space station felt the radiation would not be a problem they would have just gone down themselves instead of sending "expendables".
post #100 of 278 Old 04-04-2014, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I concede that this particular "storm cloud" was not normal, but I still have no doubt that even after 100 years there will still be deadly levels of radiation around

Unless, there never was any to begin with ... wink.gif

The more time they spend on Earth without seeing any effects of a nuclear war and with Tarzan's Army hanging around the more I'm starting to veer towards the entire scenario being a misdirection to allow for a big twist.

post #101 of 278 Old 04-04-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 39
This one is circling the drain for me. I fast-forwarded through about half the last episode, which is a clear danger signal that usually ends with the season pass being deleted. Two more episodes, tops, unless it improves.

I am a hardcore SF fan, but teen angst does nothing for me at age 62. I realize I am not the demographic they are aiming for, but there is so little SF and Fantasy programming that appeals to me, and darned little of it is on the CW.

At some point somebody will realize that you have to have a star to anchor the show, somebody who earns "X" million dollars a year, and is worth it. Then you need a master story arc over multiple seasons, then some flawed characters who never the less develop over time.

Paige Turco is not such an actress, nor is anyone else in The 100. The writing is not very good, either.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #102 of 278 Old 04-04-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Unless, there never was any to begin with ... wink.gif

The more time they spend on Earth without seeing any effects of a nuclear war and with Tarzan's Army hanging around the more I'm starting to veer towards the entire scenario being a misdirection to allow for a big twist.
Maybe, and if so, I hope it doesn't barrel head-on into shark jumping territory, the show is right on the edge of being downright silly as it is.
post #103 of 278 Old 04-04-2014, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

4 down. 93 to go?

That matches my count.

I did not expect that ending at all. Kudos, writers!
post #104 of 278 Old 04-06-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:

Maybe, and if so, I hope it doesn't barrel head-on into shark jumping territory, the show is right on the edge of being downright silly as it is.

I hadn't been able to watch the pilot and next 2 episodes until today.

managed to get thru 16 min of the pilot & deleted them all. "downright silly" is an understatement. I'm out.

if the kids unbuckling before they hit the ground wasn't stupid enough, the party vibe when they open the door, the banality of writing that could come up with the line "we're back bitches" as if this was all a game and within minutes have a fight break-out about going to the shelter, food & water supply - there's the smart fem, the smart-ass fem & the alpha-males - wow rolleyes.gif

that was all I needed to see tongue.gif

I don't believe most teenagers could act this dumb or flippant when confronting real life & death survival actions. I think even a normal teen would process their predicament after the initial elation & start to act accordingly.

just because a show is targeted to Young Adults doesn't mean it has to be dumb. the acting was pretty lame, too.

too bad, because the premise of the show looked pretty interesting to a SF fan like me. one more show I don't have to waste time on.

I think this was actually much worse than Terra Nova wink.gif

Steve
post #105 of 278 Old 04-06-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy View Post

This one is circling the drain for me...I am a hardcore SF fan, but teen angst does nothing for me at age 62...At some point somebody will realize that you have to have a star to anchor the show, somebody who earns "X" million dollars a year, and is worth it. Then you need a master story arc over multiple seasons, then some flawed characters who never the less develop over time.

Paige Turco is not such an actress, nor is anyone else in The 100. The writing is not very good, either.

you & I are in same age group so I know exactly where you are coming from smile.gif
I didn't even watch it circle the drain...pulled the drain plug on the pilot tongue.gif

Steve
post #106 of 278 Old 04-06-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

too bad, because the premise of the show looked pretty interesting to a SF fan like me. one more show I don't have to waste time on.

I think this was actually much worse than Terra Nova wink.gif

That was my feeling too. Didn't get the second ep recorded and took that as a sign from God. tongue.gif

At least 'Terra Nova' had dinosaurs! I can overlook a lot of dumb kid-stuff if I gots me some dinos.
post #107 of 278 Old 04-06-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

That was my feeling too. Didn't get the second ep recorded and took that as a sign from God. tongue.gif

At least 'Terra Nova' had dinosaurs! I can overlook a lot of dumb kid-stuff if I gots me some dinos.

you mean dumb kid stuff like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWwOJlOI1nU

biggrin.gif

Steve
post #108 of 278 Old 04-06-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:

you mean dumb kid stuff like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWwOJlOI1nU

biggrin.gif

Loved that show back when I was a dumb kid. tongue.gif
post #109 of 278 Old 04-06-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

me too
I think I had a crush on Judy Robinson (Marta Kristen). IIRC, several monsters had double billing on Voyage to Bottom of the Sea wink.gif

Steve
post #110 of 278 Old 04-06-2014, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:

. IIRC, several monsters had double billing on Voyage to Bottom of the Sea wink.gif
Irwin Allen was a genius! Same actor- same rubber suit- green spray paint for Voyage to Bottom of the Sea, red spray paint for Lost in Space! Genius!

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #111 of 278 Old 04-08-2014, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Dude that kid... she killed a main character? (well he looked gone last scene).

So in this new Earth blood is thick and doesn't flow like it should, first when they finished off Adam blood should be gushing out of his neck, but nope, with Bellamy maybe a little bit then stopped.

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #112 of 278 Old 04-10-2014, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

At least the show did not drag out the murder mystery. Unfortunately I think they screwed potential by having Charlotte turn from psycho neck-stabber to sympathetic and just slightly confused about the whole murder thing in thirty minutes. Keeping her angry and unapologetic would have been better.

Glad to see the pod launched and we didn't spend an entire season waiting for that. The Ark community got slightly more interesting too, with the addition of a couple of new characters.

The kid blowing all the wrist bands instead of easily succeeding I did not suspect. Then ... teen romance and kid-who-really-should-be-dead got lucky too! She doesn't waste any time mourning old boyfriends who got gassed and stabbed in the neck.

Hits and misses this week, but they did banish the most annoying member of the group so things are looking up.

100 count: 1 down, 93 more to go. Until next week when it's +1.

post #113 of 278 Old 04-10-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

I'm confused about the +1 next week. How do you go from falling like a meteor through the atmosphere to ending up in zero gravity on your way to the surface of the planet from an orbiting space station?

That scene with the falling pod didn't make any sense to me, other than it's TV and to just roll with it.
post #114 of 278 Old 04-11-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Flushed this one, season pass deleted.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #115 of 278 Old 04-11-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:

I'm confused about the +1 next week. How do you go from falling like a meteor through the atmosphere to ending up in zero gravity on your way to the surface of the planet from an orbiting space station?

That scene with the falling pod didn't make any sense to me, other than it's TV and to just roll with it.

I haven't watched the latest episode yet. If you are talking about a preview, remember that often previews are out of context, so it may make more sense once one sees the scene in its proper context.

My very humble setup:
post #116 of 278 Old 04-11-2014, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 267
All we know is that her pod lands next week and that she survives. You can disregard any strangeness that might occur on her way down as "it looked cool" CWness. wink.gif I'm just not looking forward to the inevitable "How could you betray me?" relationship drama that ensues when she learns her now ex-boyfriend has moved on, as though he was supposed to know that she'd ever make it to the surface.
post #117 of 278 Old 04-11-2014, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy View Post

Flushed this one, season pass deleted.

Just about there. Really stupid. The lead girl is one of the most annoying characters ever.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #118 of 278 Old 04-12-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

All we know is that her pod lands next week and that she survives. You can disregard any strangeness that might occur on her way down as "it looked cool" CWness. wink.gif I'm just not looking forward to the inevitable "How could you betray me?" relationship drama that ensues when she learns her now ex-boyfriend has moved on, as though he was supposed to know that she'd ever make it to the surface.
Yes, as soon as it was mentioned Raven's BF was on the ground I knew we'd been in for a heavy dose of teen angst, squandering time that could be put to better use moving the story forward instead. If they contain it all to within one segment between commercial breaks, that'd be great.
post #119 of 278 Old 04-12-2014, 04:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I haven't watched the latest episode yet. If you are talking about a preview, remember that often previews are out of context, so it may make more sense once one sees the scene in its proper context.
I haven't gone back to re-watch it but I'm pretty sure the floating scene was in the final moments of the episode.

But it's TV, the laws of physics are easily adjusted for dramatic effect, it's in the user's guide. biggrin.gif
post #120 of 278 Old 04-13-2014, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

I wasn't paying close attention, but my impression was the reverse. Something in the ejection got it tumbling. I assume they had no thruster fuel (everything seemed jury-rigged), so no way to stabilize in space. Given its "aerodynamic brick" shape, once in got into some atmosphere, with any controls at all, the operator has a chance to stabilize it into whatever glide ratio it is designed for. I didn't take it that she was weightless in the later part of descent, but it was gliding and decelerating as a result of atmospheric friction.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page