Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #1 of 313 Old 03-19-2014, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 494

Ninety-seven years ago, nuclear Armageddon decimated planet Earth, destroying civilization. The only survivors were the 400 inhabitants of 12 international space stations that were in orbit at the time. Three generations have been born in space, the survivors now number 4,000, and resources are running out on their dying "Ark" - the 12 stations now linked together and repurposed to keep the survivors alive. Draconian measures including capital punishment and population control are the order of the day, as the leaders of the Ark take ruthless steps to ensure their future, including secretly exiling a group of 100 juvenile prisoners to the Earth's surface to test whether it's habitable. For the first time in nearly a century, humans have returned to planet Earth. Among the 100 exiles are Clarke, the bright teenage daughter of the Ark's chief medical officer; Wells, son of the Ark's Chancellor; the daredevil Finn; and the brother/sister duo Bellamy and Octavia, whose illegal sibling status has always led them to flaunt the rules. Technologically blind to what's happening on the planet below them, the Ark's leaders - Clarke's widowed mother, Abby; the Chancellor, Jaha; and his shadowy second in command, Kane - are faced with difficult decisions about life, death and the continued existence of the human race. For the 100 young people on Earth, however, the alien planet they've never known is a mysterious realm that can be magical one moment and lethal the next. With the survival of the human race entirely in their hands, THE 100 must find a way to transcend their differences, unite and forge a new path on a wildly changed Earth that's primitive, intense and teeming with the unknown. The series stars Eliza Taylor (newcomer) as Clarke, Paige Turco ("Person of Interest," "Damages") as Abby, Thomas McDonell ("Suburgatory") as Finn, Eli Goree ("Emily Owens, M.D.") as Wells, Marie Avgeropoulos ("50/50") as Octavia, Bob Morley (newcomer) as Bellamy, Kelly Hu ("X2: X-Men United," "Arrow") as Cece, Christopher Larkin ("Squad 85") as Monty, Devon Bostick ("Aim High") as Jasper, with Isaiah Washington (upcoming "Blue Caprice," "Grey's Anatomy") as Chancellor Jaha, and Henry Ian Cusick ("Lost," "Scandal") as Kane. Based on the upcoming book series by Kass Morgan, THE 100 is from Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Alloy Entertainment, Warner Bros. Television and CBS Television Studios with executive producers Matthew Miller ("Human Target," "Chuck"), Jason Rothenberg (upcoming "Twilight Zone" feature), Bharat Nalluri ("Torchwood," "Emily Owens, M.D."), Leslie Morgenstein ("The Vampire Diaries") and Gina Girolamo ("The Secret Circle"). The pilot was directed by Bharat Nalluri.

Premiere was last night, but it may rerun un the next few days in case you missed it.

I quite enjoyed the space stuff with the adults, even though killing off the population to relieve the strain on their systems and supplies reminds me of something else I have seen recently.

The Earth based stuff was testing my resolve by the end of the hour. I didn't mind the group led by the expert girl scout but the main group just had too many (annoying) survivors for my liking. If they had all been killed I would not have missed them one bit. In fact if the show had gone Final Destination and had been killing them off regularly throughout the episode it would have made the pilot a lot more exciting and the premise filled with more danger and tension. If they had killed the girl in the water after attempting to establish her character it would have been a daring move.

I really couldn't understand why people were so reluctant to head to the mountain supply bunker either. Did they not want any food? What were they expecting to do sitting near the dropship except dance around the bonfire? More importantly why would anyone offer to bring food back to anyone who couldn't be bothered to go there? Why walk 20 miles there and 20 miles back to a dead dropship being able to carry only a few supplies?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 313 Old 03-19-2014, 11:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I quite enjoyed the space stuff with the adults, ...

The Earth based stuff was testing my resolve by the end of the hour.

Same here, though in my case it was 45 minutes (thanks to FF past the commercials). If it were only the earth teens/hormones/testosterone, I would take it off my schedule. But with the space stuff, I'll be checking in again next week to see where they take this.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #3 of 313 Old 03-20-2014, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 118
IDK it felt like the movie After Earth with 100.. err 98 Jaden Smiths.. IMHO

Glad to see that ALL humans on Earth were decimated but the animals made it somehow.. and was LMAO when they said "there's no animals" and you could hear them in the background.. doh?

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #4 of 313 Old 03-20-2014, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The good:
- visuals and effects

The bad:
- One teenage lovestory
- Another teenage lovestory
- More teenage lovestories

The ugly:
- The music (am I on a Justin Bieber concert? WTF)
- Teenagers behaving like they are on their way to the next Justin Bieber concert.
post #5 of 313 Old 03-20-2014, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I had high hopes for this one. It's not a good thing when your rooting for the massive river snake to eat one of the main characters. I'll give it a couple more episodes to see if gets better.
post #6 of 313 Old 03-20-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
3 down, 97 to go.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #7 of 313 Old 03-20-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

3 down, 97 to go.

That's funny biggrin.gif
post #8 of 313 Old 03-20-2014, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I was trying to calculate how many each episode could lose and still keep going. I think killing at least 3 per episode would be a good start.

The Ark can always drop down a few stragglers to keep the title premise mostly relevant.

post #9 of 313 Old 03-20-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

3 down, 97 to go.

Err the last guy was still breathing... and they spoiled us his fate on the "this season on The 100" thanks CW!

Maybe watching that preview is enough for most...

post #10 of 313 Old 03-20-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Err the last guy was still breathing... and they spoiled us his fate on the "this season on The 100" thanks CW!

Maybe watching that preview is enough for most...

Never send Jaden Smith to do a man's job...
Young C likes this.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #11 of 313 Old 03-20-2014, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 34
It appears to Lord of the Flies but set in the future. When the 2nd song kicked in I groaned but I did like how the song ended, still if every episode has songs I am bailing. An ok time waster if you can get over these survivors seem rather dumb. Detecting radiation is not hard, wearable radiation decals were in use in the 1950s yet they seemed to have lost that technology which quite frankly if you live in space you are going to need a lot. Also they are going to have to eat off the land and yet that has not seemed to have occurred to anyone.
post #12 of 313 Old 03-20-2014, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

It appears to Lord of the Flies but set in the future. When the 2nd song kicked in I groaned but I did like how the song ended, still if every episode has songs I am bailing. An ok time waster if you can get over these survivors seem rather dumb. Detecting radiation is not hard, wearable radiation decals were in use in the 1950s yet they seemed to have lost that technology which quite frankly if you live in space you are going to need a lot. Also they are going to have to eat off the land and yet that has not seemed to have occurred to anyone.

Well, at least they seem to have hung on to their make-up and hair supplies..

post #13 of 313 Old 03-20-2014, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I forgot to mention a little thing called water, without which they would die fast and they cannot just drink from a stream and not get sick nor can the 4 carry water from the mountain 'supplies' for 100 people. Of course nobody is concern about getting drinkable water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

Well, at least they seem to have hung on to their make-up and hair supplies..

No doubt as the months go by they will remain well groomed.
post #14 of 313 Old 03-20-2014, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

I forgot to mention a little thing called water, without which they would die fast and they cannot just drink from a stream and not get sick nor can the 4 carry water from the mountain 'supplies' for 100 people. Of course nobody is concern about getting drinkable water.
No doubt as the months go by they will remain well groomed.

THey could of easily carry iodine pills or some other advance pill or shot that they can drink any kind of water. Iodine pills is the easiest nowadays. I did that when i got water out of a stream and they always worked. Most of the demographic watching this show don't care about drinking water or how they got it anyway. Let alone iodine pills.
post #15 of 313 Old 03-20-2014, 11:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by baja7475 View Post

THey could of easily carry iodine pills or some other advance pill or shot that they can drink any kind of water. Iodine pills is the easiest nowadays. I did that when i got water out of a stream and they always worked. Most of the demographic watching this show don't care about drinking water or how they got it anyway. Let alone iodine pills.
Iodine pills don't kill all the amoeba and other micro-organisms swimming around in contaminated water. That said, none of what most of the kids did made much sense here. By the end of the show I was beginning to lose interest.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #16 of 313 Old 03-20-2014, 11:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:

If they had killed the girl in the water after attempting to establish her character it would have been a daring move.
Agreed.
Unfortunately, this series will never have the balls to do something like that.

Quote:
I really couldn't understand why people were so reluctant to head to the mountain supply bunker either. Did they not want any food?
What were they expecting to do sitting near the dropship except dance around the bonfire? More importantly why would anyone offer to bring food back to anyone who couldn't be bothered to go there? Why walk 20 miles there and 20 miles back to a dead dropship being able to carry only a few supplies?
That hit me immediately.
WTF....these kids are so dumb they don't know about a nasty condition called "starvation?"
Apparently, the showrunners want us to swallow that these misfits are so dimwitted as to believe they will get their nutrition from music, yelling, jumping, and campfires.
Yeah, I get it....kids are dumb....but not THAT dumb.rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycsmoke View Post

It's not a good thing when your rooting for the massive river snake to eat one of the main characters.
Good to see I wasn't the only pulling for the river monster.tongue.gif

Quote:

It appears to Lord of the Flies but set in the future.
I thought the same thing.

Quote:
Detecting radiation is not hard, wearable radiation decals were in use in the 1950s yet they seemed to have lost that technology which quite frankly if you live in space you are going to need a lot.
They seem to have lost a lot of technology....like rudimentary communication devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

Well, at least they seem to have hung on to their make-up and hair supplies.
I noticed that too.
You watch...I'll bet they remembered to pack plenty of that stuff.biggrin.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #17 of 313 Old 03-21-2014, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Tough crowd. Despite all the typical sci-fi nitpicking that 's occurring in this thread, I found the pilot and the premise interesting. I'm going to give it a go.

Until the plot lines get buried in the typical "teenagers in love" crap the CW loves to do to most of their shows. Then, I'm bailing. smile.gif
post #18 of 313 Old 03-21-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Also whoever isn't on the main cast list could be considered red shirts and die, how else they could afford at least 110 actors.. LOL (100 teens plus 10 adults on the station)

And I never saw a take where you can count them, they seem like 30 to me not 100

post #19 of 313 Old 03-21-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

And I never saw a take where you can count them, they seem like 30 to me not 100
You have to take it on faith....tongue.gif

post #20 of 313 Old 03-21-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Pretty bad writing. Dumb premise (no radiation detectors? Really?) Got a couple actors slumming over from 'Continuum', including Richard Harmon (Julian). Guess they film on different schedules, or they're going to kill him off on that show. It's got Alessandro Juliani (Gaeta) from BSG. And I can't get used to Henry Ian Cusick (Desmond) without his trademark Scottish accent. Why did they feel the need to Americanize him?

But there's space stuff! So I guess I'm in for awhile. Until I just can't take the unbearable CW'ness of it all.
post #21 of 313 Old 03-21-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Pretty bad writing. Dumb premise (no radiation detectors? Really?)
Also, why didn't the adults who designed the drop-ship NOT foresee some of the kids unbuckling?rolleyes.gif
Like all bad writing, it was an easy fix: locking strap set-up that opens on touch-down.

AND the wrist bracelets?
Like these juvenile delinquents WOULDN'T try to remove them immediately?
How about something surgically installed instead?
I could go on forever.....

post #22 of 313 Old 03-21-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 698
They'd have to have had some redundancy with regards to communication, wouldn't they? Just one central radio? Sat phones, something. The wrist bracelets were communicating data back up there -- how difficult would it be to plug in voice transmission to that contraption? The whole thing seemed very poorly thought out by the Arc. No wonder it's "dying".

And capital punishment for every crime, no matter how small? That seems a little harsh.
post #23 of 313 Old 03-21-2014, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

And capital punishment for every crime, no matter how small? That seems a little harsh.

That one is easy to accept if you acknowledge the place is run by lying liars who lie.

They know the ship is badly designed and they will all die, so the faster they can up with an excuse to legally kill some of them the longer the overlords can live. It's basically a version of "Lifeboat" with the bad guys in charge.

I'm not too bothered about the lack of advanced tech. Since they have to build everything in orbit with no resources I expect there is only so much they can manufacture or recycle.

Looking forward to having some soylent green made from the more annoying cast members in future! biggrin.gif

post #24 of 313 Old 03-21-2014, 01:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

And largely unenforceable.

EVERYONE would soon realize, at some point in time, they themselves (or family members) will inadvertently break the law.
How long would it take for the population to rise up and whack King's head off?
The Masters of the Universe have nowhere to hide on a space station.

Quote:

Looking forward to having some soylent green made from the more annoying cast members in future! biggrin.gif
Mmmmm, soylent green....

post #25 of 313 Old 03-21-2014, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

EVERYONE would soon realize, at some point in time, they themselves (or family members) will inadvertently break the law.
How long would it take for the population to rise up and whack King's head off?
The Masters of the Universe have nowhere to hide on a space station.

By amazing coincidence I expect that event will occur in exactly the same time frame the show happens to be set in. wink.gif

post #26 of 313 Old 03-21-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

By amazing coincidence I expect that event will occur in exactly the same time frame the show happens to be set in. wink.gif
Yeah, that.biggrin.gif

post #27 of 313 Old 03-21-2014, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto17 View Post

Tough crowd. Despite all the typical sci-fi nitpicking that 's occurring in this thread, I found the pilot and the premise interesting. I'm going to give it a go.

Until the plot lines get buried in the typical "teenagers in love" crap the CW loves to do to most of their shows. Then, I'm bailing. smile.gif

I will give it one more episode as for 'teenagers in love' that is certain to happen.
Quote:

Oh I can see that happen in real life, very finite space to live in makes getting rid of 'undesirables' more acceptable on any pretext.
post #28 of 313 Old 03-21-2014, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto17 View Post

+1

I am not sure why the kids were sent down straight from their incarceration, no survival training, no weapons training, apparently only one person knew they had to head towards a certain location for food. And since almost all of them are criminals, how will the leaders on the station trust anything the kids tell them?

Nonetheless, what is happening on the station is interesting, but then I also liked (not loved, liked) Stargate Universe.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #29 of 313 Old 03-21-2014, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

So far I'll keep watching for the Ark-based sci-fi with adults in a more interesting location and hopefully see some annoying teens be killed off in creative ways each week.

But if the death toll does not increase I am going to be very disappointed.

post #30 of 313 Old 03-21-2014, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post

I am not sure why the kids were sent down straight from their incarceration, no survival training, no weapons training

I figure this will be revealed at some point by my take is that the Evil Adults needed to free up some resources ASAP. Since they couldn't legally kill any of the brats kids they came up with a way to get rid of them to extend the ship's life support and use them as guinea pigs in case the Ark falls apart and they need somewhere to live.

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page