New Graphics coming to the networks of Fox Sports (Fox Sports Net, Fox Sports 1, & your local Fox Station) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 03-30-2014, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 41
For those baseball fans out there, the networks of Fox Sports have changed their graphics for the 2014 MLB Season. If you haven't seen the new graphics yet, Fox Sports San Diego used them in yesterday's exhibition game between the Indians & Padres. In the following post, you'll get an idea what they look like. Overall in my opinion, I like them, except for that infernal nonstop ticker at the bottom of the screen.

And the FOUL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-30-2014, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 41

And the FOUL!
post #3 of 14 Old 03-30-2014, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 31
GRRR.. We have to put up with the Blue score ticker taking up real estate on the field, and now the Game ticker takes up more??? Put it at the top of the screen, OFF THE FIELD. Note to Fox, look at the NBC Hockey game ticker, it's about perfect. Or Hell just cover the whole screen with graphics all the time...
post #4 of 14 Old 03-31-2014, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 376
There is no need at all for a constant ticker. If they must have one, it should only be used intermittently. It is too bad the the leagues here are like the BPL which requires that there are no graphics other than the score and clock on the screen. I wish the sports leagues here actually cared about the viewing experience of their fans. Another lesson we could learn from the Brits.
Nayan likes this.

Louder is NOT better!
post #5 of 14 Old 03-31-2014, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 223
I agree. I hate all of the screen clutter when I am trying to watch a game.

I love smart men. In other words, I'm attracted to brains like a friggin' zombie. Crap I say
post #6 of 14 Old 03-31-2014, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I really like the look of the new scorebug, as well as the placement in the lower left corner. And at least when watching on MLB.tv, there is no ticker along the bottom or Fox Sports logo in the upper right.
post #7 of 14 Old 03-31-2014, 11:05 PM

Liked: 10
You'd think we're back in the early 90s, when sports information was still at a premium. These days, with all the electronic devices within an arm's length of the average viewer, taking up any real estate at all with a distracting ticker is ridiculous.
post #8 of 14 Old 04-01-2014, 11:29 AM

I like the new scorebug , but really hate the very ugly and useless to me constant bottom ticker. It sure takes up a lot of space, especially if you watch your TV with no overscan. Zero overscan has been an option on modern TV's for a long time already, but the networks are still using the safe area for old picture tube displays (CRT).
post #9 of 14 Old 04-02-2014, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Big problem with new Fox scorebug, when Olbermann is doing his highlights package, the 'Keith Lights' bug box overlays the scorebox, so you can't see what the situation is when the highlight is aired. Unlike the ESPN scorebug which is in the lower right corner.
post #10 of 14 Old 04-02-2014, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

Big problem with new Fox scorebug, when Olbermann is doing his highlights package, the 'Keith Lights' bug box overlays the scorebox, so you can't see what the situation is when the highlight is aired. Unlike the ESPN scorebug which is in the lower right corner.

confused.gif

How is Keith able to work for both Fox and ESPN? I'm only aware of his ESPN late night gig.
post #11 of 14 Old 04-02-2014, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

confused.gif

How is Keith able to work for both Fox and ESPN? I'm only aware of his ESPN late night gig.

He's not working for Fox, but he uses Fox highlights video, and therein lies the problem I mentioned in the previous post.
post #12 of 14 Old 04-03-2014, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

Somebody at Keith's show must have seen my post above, I'm watching Olbermann tonight and they've moved the 'Keith Lights' bug to the right side just above the 'Olbermann Live' bug.

Thanks Keith. smile.gif
post #13 of 14 Old 04-08-2014, 08:26 PM

This is the new Fox Sports graphics package that debuted at the Daytona 500 (why they didn't do the logical thing and debut it at Super Bowl XLVIII is beyond me) and I think they changed them now because they have U.S. Open golf next year and the old package they had was too aggressive for golf. So it made sense for them to change.

I have mixed feelings about these graphics. For some reason, it doesn't feel like Fox Sports to me. These graphics work for baseball, but not for NASCAR. We'll have to see how these graphics are executed for NFL/NCAA football, NBA/NCAA basketball, NHL, soccer, and UFC later in the year.

(to tune of Farmers Insurance jingle)

We are movies. The Home Box Office. bum-bum-bum-bum-bum-bum-bum-bum.
post #14 of 14 Old 04-12-2014, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I think the clean, flat minimalist simplicity of the scorebug is far less of a distraction from the sporting event being covered, than the old graphics were.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page