Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #91 of 121 Old 05-19-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 402
The presentations were all made up. The episode lacked the kicker the last couple of episodes had.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 121 Old 05-19-2014, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

The presentations were all made up. The episode lacked the kicker the last couple of episodes had.

Do you know this or are you guessing? Clearly some of them were (human heater). Some of them looked droll enough to be real. I've read on some reviews that they had real participants participate.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #93 of 121 Old 05-19-2014, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 446

post #94 of 121 Old 05-19-2014, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

Quote:

Do you know this or are you guessing? Clearly some of them were (human heater). Some of them looked droll enough to be real. I've read on some reviews that they had real participants participate.

Based on the cast list I would say everyone who had a speaking role on stage representing a company was fictitious.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3388032/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

post #95 of 121 Old 06-01-2014, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Finally, a show that tries to figure out just how many datas can one guy manipulate at once. biggrin.gif

I'm going to miss this show. The past few months Silicon Valley was one of my favorite parts of an HBO Sunday. The characters were just beginning to find their footing.

I did find it odd that they kept saying Peter Gregory was going to be a lot more hands on and involved. I hope they are not planning to recast.

post #96 of 121 Old 06-02-2014, 12:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Finally, a show that tries to figure out just how many datas can one guy manipulate at once. biggrin.gif

Their analysis in the hotel room was the funniest thing I've seen in quite some time. Erlich's question to the reporter was hilarious as well, amplified by the highly confident look he had.

I was really hoping that Richard would vomit on Monica at the end like he did to Erlich a few episodes back. That would have been a perfect ending to the season.
post #97 of 121 Old 06-02-2014, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Good season finale. Loved how they were so serious to come up with a solution to the "math" problem. To funny.

post #98 of 121 Old 06-02-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 402
The data manipulation scene was great. One of the three best scenes of the series in terms of laughs. The show started off a little slow, but seemed to hit its stride as the show went on.
post #99 of 121 Old 06-02-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Just a great addition to the HBO lineup and likely a fairly accurate depiction of what really does go on .. the season flew by ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #100 of 121 Old 06-02-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Just a great addition to the HBO lineup and likely a fairly accurate depiction of what really does go on .. the season flew by ..
I only saw the pilot and may "buy" the season when it becomes available streaming. At least from the pilot it was very accurate on depicting what I like to call "Silly Conned Valley" which I live near and do business with. And for the record the people I do business with wouldn't deny it either. biggrin.gif
post #101 of 121 Old 06-02-2014, 06:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Just posting to echo the above comments, this show easily rocketed up to one of my top 5 favorites, very sad it was only 8 episodes, hopefully we'll get a few more next season.

"mean jerk time", one of the funniest sequences I've ever seen, I was laughing hard the whole time, too funny, way too funny! tongue.gifbiggrin.gif
post #102 of 121 Old 06-02-2014, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Just posting to echo the above comments, this show easily rocketed up to one of my top 5 favorites, very sad it was only 8 episodes, hopefully we'll get a few more next season.

"mean jerk time", one of the funniest sequences I've ever seen, I was laughing hard the whole time, too funny, way too funny! tongue.gifbiggrin.gif
And the diagrams on the two white boards were hilarious.
Keenan likes this.
post #103 of 121 Old 06-03-2014, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Makes it seem Silly Valley is full of jerks .......................... maybe it is ? so is Wall Street , Washington D.C., Hollywood etc.etc.

In my years with fortune 100 multinational companies in management we didn't act like that (with maybe but a few exceptions ) ,people still got screwed over now and then, sometimes often depending on what was happening at the time ..............just more politely that's all .

from the bay area near Silly Valley

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #104 of 121 Old 06-03-2014, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Judge is the master of pumping up stereotypes in exchange for laughs. .. King of the Hill ... or office life in Office Space ..

“Let’s just think different… uh, don’t think different, that’s Apple.”

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #105 of 121 Old 06-03-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post

Makes it seem Silly Valley is full of jerks .......................... maybe it is ? so is Wall Street , Washington D.C., Hollywood etc.etc.

In my years with fortune 100 multinational companies in management we didn't act like that (with maybe but a few exceptions ) ,people still got screwed over now and then, sometimes often depending on what was happening at the time ..............just more politely that's all .

from the bay area near Silly Valley
From the pilot I would say it was almost a "reality show." biggrin.gif

I recall in "Office Space" when the two corporate consultants decide the main character is "management material" I nearly fell off my seat in the theater because I have heard that many a time from such "consultants" and we would be scratching our heads at how they came to that conclusion.
post #106 of 121 Old 06-03-2014, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

post #107 of 121 Old 06-03-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

From the pilot I would say it was almost a "reality show." biggrin.gif

I recall in "Office Space" when the two corporate consultants decide the main character is "management material" I nearly fell off my seat in the theater because I have heard that many a time from such "consultants" and we would be scratching our heads at how they came to that conclusion.

I have to add outside of Silly Conn Valley in my experience there were many promotions and consultants results that made me scratch my head and privately (and sometimes not so privately) say W.T.F. is this S##T you've got to be kidding! I've seen some executive hires and promotions that totally defied any common sense at all and mostly did not have good outcomes .

Silly Conn Valley .............. hilarious ! considering all the useless crap they make (lots of Apps and things like that ) and seeing some of the startups incredible overvaluations the name sure fits . It's just like Moneyball but a different pitch .

And then there is Ballmer up there in Seattle , can't believe what he paid for the Clippers who have been total losers for most of the time prior to this season !

Tech is cool and all I like my tech toys ,PC's , and TV's ,Roku,PS3 etc ,but a whole lot of what they make there is useless for the most part same thing for Hollywood in general and especially and 90% of the web (Fakebook ,Yahoo,AOL ,Huff Post,MSNBC ) etc.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #108 of 121 Old 06-03-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

My favorite lines belong to Erlich: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.

post #109 of 121 Old 06-03-2014, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

There's a moment when they start riffing on the formula that you typically expect a character to say "screw you guys" for making fun of him, but I really did like the way that Erlich just stood there considering his reaction and just decided to go with it.

Also from Twitter:

Kumail Nanjiani @kumailn
I asked @MikeJudge to explain all the math on the board. He did. We got Stanford engineers to verify it all.

post #110 of 121 Old 06-03-2014, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My favorite lines belong to Erlich: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.

Erlich looked so proud when he said that. But he's right, he clearly was the main inspiration behind it, albeit unintentionally.

What really sealed the hilarity during their "Jerk Theory" was Gilfoyle's monotone voice saying phrases like "tip-to-tip" and "hot swap" while he maintained that deadpan look on his face.

Also funny is how Richard concentrates best when listening to that loud dubstep garbage. I wonder if there are people who are really like that.
post #111 of 121 Old 06-03-2014, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

What's also funny is that it was Jared who gave voice to "middle out" (although it was Gilfoye who came up with the tip to tip idea) that made the bells go off in Richard's head.

post #112 of 121 Old 06-04-2014, 02:33 AM
AVS Special Member

True, but Erlich did get the general conversation started with his outlandish remark. Dinesh also deserves some credit for building up the logistics of it thereafter.

If anything, Erlich is probably the only person of the group who would publicly take credit for such a conversation. The man knows no shame if it means being recognized for something important.
post #113 of 121 Old 06-04-2014, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

Erlich looked so proud when he said that. But he's right, he clearly was the main inspiration behind it, albeit unintentionally.

What really sealed the hilarity during their "Jerk Theory" was Gilfoyle's monotone voice saying phrases like "tip-to-tip" and "hot swap" while he maintained that deadpan look on his face.

Also funny is how Richard concentrates best when listening to that loud dubstep garbage. I wonder if there are people who are really like that.
As a programmer I'll say that I do concentrate best when listening to music, but I don't listen to dub step

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #114 of 121 Old 06-04-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 530
I love those guys! The weird combination of discussion and ideas that led up to the right synapses firing in Richard's brain, which led to his breakthrough improvement to his compression algorithm. was genius stuff, wonderfully funny. Poor Richard, unless he really does end up a billionaire, I feel certain that he is doomed to have Monica break his heart. Monica is a girl who keeps her eye on the gross and the bottom line. smile.gif
post #115 of 121 Old 06-05-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It's rare for me to become as interested in characters as quickly as I did with "Silicon Valley" .. from about episode one I was drawn in ..

Uncle Willie

post #116 of 121 Old 06-07-2014, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

From the latest issue of Total Film magazine.

Right now, Lounge [magazine feature] is watching a furious battle of words between two companies eager for the ears of a surfer dude turned millionaire. In the red corner, Panic-A-Tech offers a small finger cap you can wear 24/7 that monitors your vital signs and warns of an impending anxiety crisis. In the blue corner, Dryft is an app that moves the letters of your keyboard around your smartphone screen so that it’s always touching your fingers wherever they move.

Of course, it’s all fake. This is Hollywood. We’re on a California studio set for Silicon Valley, HBO’s new sitcom from Beavis And Butt-head creator Mike Judge and Seinfeld scribe Alec Berg. It charts the trials and tribulations of a team of young coders with a hot new algorithm (read: computer program) trying to make it big, change the world and become richer than Bill Gates. It’s full of in-jokes about the stupidity of the start-up world… except… except Dryft is a real company and it came second in the real TechCrunch Disrupt pitching battle just a month ago.

The Silicon Valley production team has gone to great lengths to recreate every detail of the real TechCrunch – employing the same companies to make the banners, logos, ID cards and even sandwiches that supply the event. They also approached some 20-odd start-ups that actually pitched at Disrupt 2013 and invited them to recreate their booths and pitches for the show.

Alongside all the hardcore nerd ephemera, the writers have planted a handful of subtle fakes – like Panic-A-Tech – in keeping with the show’s affectionate lampooning. It’s just hard to tell the difference. “The problem we’ve found is that for every 20 fake names we create for a company, you find that half of them are actually in use,” says art director L.J. Houdyshell with a wry grin. “Like Human Heater and Self Surgeon…”

“Even Co-Techs…” Judge adds, incredulously. “We figured no one would name themselves after a tampon company and that had to be our joke… but no, it really exists. We met two guys with competing dog vacation start-ups. This world is tough on a comedy writer…”

post #117 of 121 Old 06-11-2014, 11:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
There's a moment when they start riffing on the formula that you typically expect a character to say "screw you guys" for making fun of him, but I really did like the way that Erlich just stood there considering his reaction and just decided to go with it.

Also from Twitter:

Kumail Nanjiani @kumailn
I asked @MikeJudge to explain all the math on the board. He did. We got Stanford engineers to verify it all.
Optimal Tip-to-Tip Efficiency (a model for male audience stimulation) by vinithmisra
VisionOn likes this.
post #118 of 121 Old 06-12-2014, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Brilliant!

"It is physically unreasonable to allow jerk actions on three or more shafts with a single hand — it is unclear how audience members could be arranged to perform such a feat. However, there is considerable photographic evidence to suggest that two shafts per hand is not only feasible, but efficient. We refer to this as a double jerk."

They obviously did a lot of photographic "research" for that paper.
Keenan likes this.

post #119 of 121 Old 06-29-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 209
The actor that plays the house owner (larger, heavy set guy, forget his name right now) is in the new transformers movie and he is pretty funny in it too.

post #120 of 121 Old 06-29-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
The actor that plays the house owner (larger, heavy set guy, forget his name right now) is in the new transformers movie and he is pretty funny in it too.
T.J. Miller
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page