Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1 of 121 Old 04-01-2014, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 492

Mike Judge ("Office Space," "Beavis & Butt-head," "King of the Hill") brings his irreverent brand of humor to HBO in the new comedy series SILICON VALLEY. Partially inspired by Judge's own experiences as a Silicon Valley engineer in the late '80s, the show is a collaboration between Judge and Alec Berg ("Seinfeld," HBO's "Curb Your Enthusiasm"), and kicks off its eight-episode season SUNDAY, APRIL 6 (10:00-10:30 p.m. ET/PT), immediately following the season debut of "Game of Thrones." SILICON VALLEY features a talented ensemble of young comic actors. Cast regulars include: Thomas Middleditch ("Search Party," "The Office"), T.J. Miller ("Mash Up," "Seeking a Friend for the End of the World"), Zach Woods ("In the Loop," "The Office"), Kumail Nanjiani ("Franklin & Bash," "Portlandia"), Martin Starr ("Freaks and Geeks," "Party Down"), Josh Brener ("Glory Daze," "The Internship"), Christopher Evan Welch ("The Master," "Vicky Cristina Barcelona") and Amanda Crew ("Jobs," "Charlie St. Cloud"). Matt Ross ("Magic City," HBO's "Big Love") guest stars.

(NSFW trailer)

Premiere: Sunday April 6, 10pm
(after the return of Game of Thrones and before the new season of Veep)

Early reviews for this have been mostly good ("It's not only the best show about the culture-dominating tech world to date but one of best new shows of the season.") and Mike Judge tends to hit more than he misses. If you're a tech nerd or know what it's like to have been in a startup that went big, this show could be hitting all the right notes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 121 Old 04-06-2014, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Watched the first show with my wife and daughter and this was an unqualified hit. Very well done. Helps that Mike Judge knows his stuff and gets all the nuances and the characters. A must watch for us.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #3 of 121 Old 04-07-2014, 12:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I'm confused.

The guy works at Hooli, which is suppose to be like Google, but has entrepreneurial aspirations so he develops something, shows it to a couple of co-workers and now the boss of Hooli has to buy it from him?

If you work for a big company, they own whatever you do, while you're under their employment, even if he did it on his own time.

Unlikely too that a new codec wouldn't be subject to patent disputes. Or that he'd develop it while his goal was something else. More likely, he'd use an existing codec if his idea was about searching for copyrights.
post #4 of 121 Old 04-07-2014, 02:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

I'm confused.
If you work for a big company, they own whatever you do, while you're under their employment, even if he did it on his own time.

That is not true for California (even if it's in your employment agreement, it's unenforceable). If you use your own time and resources, then it's yours.
post #5 of 121 Old 04-07-2014, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

This has got a lot of potential. The attention to detail is excellent. The amount of work put into that short credit sequence alone is amazing. Watch it on slow motion and you can see the changing history of the tech world through logos and some culture touches like ping pong on the roof sprinkled throughout.

This does feel like "Entourage for Software" but I fear that this world is far more dense and less viewer friendly than the entertainment industry and might not run for that long.

Excellent car gag. biggrin.gif

post #6 of 121 Old 04-07-2014, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I enjoyed it. As stated wonder what the holding power will be for those not familiar with the area.

Got a chuckle that he was at the Atherton medical center. That is a jaunt down the road from Palo Alto and not sure why he would be there? Atherton, strictly residential. Mansions in the $40m and up range. Not sure if that scene was to be a bit playful but he would have no reason to be in Atherton. The top priciest zip code by capita in U.S.

The Kid Rock spoof was quite funny as well. Enjoyed it. Hope the ratings hold up.

Rick

post #7 of 121 Old 04-07-2014, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

In an interesting move HBO are streaming the entire first episode for free on YouTube. Is this the first time they've shown something outside of the cable wall?

Also only just found out that Christopher Evan Welch who plays the investment billionaire who wants a piece of the company, Peter Gregory, died of lung cancer during filming this season. Apparently they shot six episodes with him.

post #8 of 121 Old 04-07-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 83
It is kind of funny the way the show mocked the idealism that some tech companies and industry leaders often express, about something they're trying to make a lot of money with making the world a better place.

Meanwhile, at that party, there was $40 billion in paper net wealth? The actor they got to play Schmidt looked like him too.
post #9 of 121 Old 04-07-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Showrunners always start with trying to get initial viewers to want to continue watching a new show. I think they totally failed in this case, because I don't think many people who are not into the nerd/SFBA theme will like this show. I quit early. If I'm wrong, and it becomes a good show, I can always get it then.
post #10 of 121 Old 04-07-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

The actor they got to play Schmidt looked like him too.

It was Him !

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #11 of 121 Old 04-08-2014, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I liked it; it definitely had an 'Office Space" vibe to it. Feels like they got the details right. We'll see how it wears over time, though. I also had wondered why Hooli would have to buy a program from one of their employees.
post #12 of 121 Old 04-08-2014, 11:54 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 188
They just wanted to exploit the algorithm.

What was their position at the company? He wasn't a programmer, he was dreading the approach of the programmers.

I watched because I'm a fan of TJ Miller's and Kumail's stand up. I really liked the show.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #13 of 121 Old 04-08-2014, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

They just wanted to exploit the algorithm.

What was their position at the company? He wasn't a programmer, he was dreading the approach of the programmers.

No, no, no they were not programmers. They were brogrammers! biggrin.gif

I thought he was an engineer or maybe he is a programmer just not one of the bros.

post #14 of 121 Old 04-08-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I think Mike Judge really nailed how "silly" the tech industry and especially the south bay is. I like to call the place "Silly Conned Valley" and was much involved in the 1990s. I'm still involved but only on the fringes since they think anyone with over 10 years experience (over 30 in my case) is too old. BTW, th e "Pied Piper" thing is not a stupid idea at all. As a musician I've long wanted such services and even a few years ago some of the music search engines might be able to find a similar tune to one you've written. That doesn't seem to be the case any longer as I think the music companies wanted the content in the database to ALL be licensed making it too expensive.
post #15 of 121 Old 04-08-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 442
From the SFist a pretty good recap from a local point of view,

'Silicon Valley' Episode 1 Recap: Welcome To Palo Alto

This line from the review is so true! biggrin.gif
Quote:
For those who live and work primarily in San Francisco, driving down there is a minor nightmare akin to a dentist visit, and you only do it for business reasons, or because a rich friend is throwing a pool party in August.
post #16 of 121 Old 04-08-2014, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Do you think we will ever see anybody over 30 on this show. WIll they acknowledge the crazy ageism here.
post #17 of 121 Old 04-08-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

From the SFist a pretty good recap from a local point of view,

'Silicon Valley' Episode 1 Recap: Welcome To Palo Alto

This line from the review is so true! biggrin.gif

Or lunch meetings ONLY! I also liked that a point was made about the cost of rent in the area. And these days tech companies locate in downtown San Francisco and as best I can figure out for prestigious address, certainly not for the economics. BART is a joke and yet they act like the Bay Area has great transit.
post #18 of 121 Old 04-08-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post

Do you think we will ever see anybody over 30 on this show. WIll they acknowledge the crazy ageism here.

I think we saw some "older" guys at the initial party. Those probably are CEOs who may be totally out of touch with the actual workings. I think we got a taste of that when Hooli boss didn't really seem to know anything other than he had to have it.
I really loved the: "We are making the world a better place by (insert incomprehensible techno-jargon)" mantra.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #19 of 121 Old 04-08-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

Or lunch meetings ONLY! I also liked that a point was made about the cost of rent in the area. And these days tech companies locate in downtown San Francisco and as best I can figure out for prestigious address, certainly not for the economics. BART is a joke and yet they act like the Bay Area has great transit.
Yes, the cost of housing in the bay area, particularly San Francisco is way out of hand. My brother was paying $3K for a place two blocks from GG Park in the Richmond District and the landlord was raising it to $5K. He decided to buy across the bay in the Adams Point area near Lake Merritt, and that was in the $700K range simply because of the bubble caused in large part by all the loose tech money flooding the area. San Francisco has the highest housing costs of anywhere in the nation. Pretty soon those fast money millionaires are going to have to serve their own Starbucks coffee as the people who do it now can't even afford to live anywhere near the store anymore.

As far as living in the City, the prestige for sure, but also because the south bay is essentially a cultural desert when compared to San Francisco and that's part of why those Google buses are upsetting the locals so much, they bus the workers to and from work in the south using public resources while driving up the cost of living for long term residents. And the current mayor has put his stamp of approval on the whole mess.

I wonder if the show will touch on how some of these young mega-millionaires have turned out to be some of the world's biggest self-centered douchebags.
post #20 of 121 Old 04-08-2014, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I wonder if the show will touch on how some of these young mega-millionaires have turned out to be some of the world's biggest self-centered douchebags.

Well they hired Kid Rock for a buyout party just to be ironic by the looks of it, so the guy who was making the self-important speech at the beginning already started out in the show as a douchebag.

post #21 of 121 Old 04-08-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Well they hired Kid Rock for a buyout party just to be ironic by the looks of it, so the guy who was making the self-important speech at the beginning already started out in the show as a douchebag.
True, but I was thinking more like Sean Parker, Peter Shih, Greg Gopman and others. Having a famous pop star at your party is one thing, but disrespecting and dumping on the area where you live and make those multi-millions in a public manner is just a level of douchebaggery rarely seen before.
post #22 of 121 Old 04-08-2014, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post

It was Him !

God showed up? That's some cameo!
post #23 of 121 Old 04-09-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Someone, who is a tech writer, on a Yahoo Group I'm on thought the show was overblown and pretentious. I had to ask him when was the last time he'd been to Silicon Valley. A reality show couldn't have done much better.
post #24 of 121 Old 04-09-2014, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

God showed up? That's some cameo!

You think Schmidt shops at Amazon? OTOH Maybe Bezoz is a friend of his .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #25 of 121 Old 04-10-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I loved the first episode. I can actually somewhat identify with the nutty CEO who speaks of the ills of a modern college education. Despite having an advanced degree, I realize that far too many young people in the US are wasting their time and money being pushed through the ridiculously expensive machine that is post-secondary academia.
post #26 of 121 Old 04-10-2014, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

I loved the first episode. I can actually somewhat identify with the nutty CEO who speaks of the ills of a modern college education. Despite having an advanced degree, I realize that far too many young people in the US are wasting their time and money being pushed through the ridiculously expensive machine that is post-secondary academia.

My sentiments exactly! College degrees are so overrated. Everything I learned about computers was outside of my college courses. Comparing ivy league to say community colleges, I often wonder how many people every make up the difference in tuition in their subsequent salaries.
post #27 of 121 Old 04-10-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post

My sentiments exactly! College degrees are so overrated. Everything I learned about computers was outside of my college courses. Comparing ivy league to say community colleges, I often wonder how many people every make up the difference in tuition in their subsequent salaries.

Even when you consider tuition vs career earning, yes an Ivy League education will pay off more. Also, for certain fields, an Ivy League education is pretty much mandatory to reach the top. Who's the last Supreme Court justice that did not go to Yale or Harvard.

Now, an arts degree in a pricey private liberal arts college, that may not pan out so well.

The problem in the u.s. Is a high school diploma is not going to put you in a middle class like it used to, and we don't have real alternative to college so we are pushing everyone to college. We need robust trade school and apprenticeship system.
post #28 of 121 Old 04-10-2014, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

Even when you consider tuition vs career earning, yes an Ivy League education will pay off more. Also, for certain fields, an Ivy League education is pretty much mandatory to reach the top. Who's the last Supreme Court justice that did not go to Yale or Harvard.

Now, an arts degree in a pricey private liberal arts college, that may not pan out so well.

The problem in the u.s. Is a high school diploma is not going to put you in a middle class like it used to, and we don't have real alternative to college so we are pushing everyone to college. We need robust trade school and apprenticeship system.
A lot of companies just want a degree, doesn't matter what it is unless they are looking for a specialized field. Back in the late 1990s a headhunter called me to see if I knew of anyone who might make a good media content acquisition manager. Indeed I did but she further qualified it that this major company (which for some weird reason was going into multimedia) required candidates have a degree and I knew the person I was thinking of didn't even though he had the experience and expertise needed. I think too many corporate types are "wooden thinkers."
post #29 of 121 Old 04-14-2014, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

"So you're the VP of spite?"

Not greatly funny this week but enough moments to keep it going. While I appreciated the Mass Effect 3 remark it came off as an obligatory Big Bang Theory attempt in just trying to appeal to geeks in an obvious way. It might have worked better if it hadn't been two years after the fact as well.

I don't really need that to keep me watching. If they do want to drop in some topical culture humor at least make it more recent.

post #30 of 121 Old 04-14-2014, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 68
T.J. Miller's presence really brings this show together quite nicely, and unlike Seth Rogen, exhibits that slovenly pothead characters can actually be funny.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page