"Turn" AMC HD Story of America's First Spy Ring - Page 3 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #61 of 68 Old 05-18-2015, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Finally got caught up with this amazing show (and season) last night. Great scene between Mary and Abe's father when she told him everything going on. And always great to see "Kenzie" -- big hair and all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 Old Yesterday, 09:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked: 979
Finally caught up, just before the finale. Well, better late than never!

Great season -- this show is terrific television and vastly underrated IMO. Love the portrayal of General Washington as a less than perfect yet still imposing Father of Our Country. He had his setbacks, but history tends to gloss them over in light of his many accomplishments. Wonder if he really suffered from delusions/hallucinations or if that was just dramatic license?

Really loved Sackett's submarine (R.I.P.) and Caleb's Bond-like use of it and his tricked out pistol to affect his infiltration and escape. Captain Simcoe remains a deliciously evil villain, with Hewlett his perfect foil. You can see how Benedict Arnold's hubris and thirst for glory will eventually lead him down the path to infamy.

One thing I'm fuzzy on: Richard Rogers tries to defect directly to Washington 2 or 3 episodes back and George sends him off to be dealt with, but the next thing we know he's back in the field, albeit without his troops. If they showed him escaping rebel hands I don't remember seeing that scene...? In any event, it looks like he has no choice but to defect for real this time since his King abandoned him.
post #63 of 68 Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Great episode and series. Was that supposed to be the Turtle submarine?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtle_%28submersible%29

post #64 of 68 Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Indeed it was! Obviously, dramatic liberties were taken.
post #65 of 68 Old Today, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Finally caught up, just before the finale. Well, better late than never!

One thing I'm fuzzy on: Richard Rogers tries to defect directly to Washington 2 or 3 episodes back and George sends him off to be dealt with, but the next thing we know he's back in the field, albeit without his troops. If they showed him escaping rebel hands I don't remember seeing that scene...? In any event, it looks like he has no choice but to defect for real this time since his King abandoned him.
I think the defection scene with Rogers and Washington was a flashback from several years prior. But my memory is fuzzy on that.
post #66 of 68 Old Today, 06:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto17 View Post
I think the defection scene with Rogers and Washington was a flashback from several years prior. But my memory is fuzzy on that.
There was no indication of that at all, as I recall. It was just jarring to expect to see him in custody, "taken off the board" as it were, and then the next time we see him he's back in the field doing his typical dastardly deeds.
post #67 of 68 Old Today, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Dammit. You made me look. There was a flashback in that episode.

There are only a few men in North America who can make George Washington shudder, but Robert Rogers is one of them. They were acquaintances during the French and Indian War, when both men fought for the victorious British. Rogers earned his reputation as a shrewd and savage guerrilla warrior, while Washington was better known for his battlefield failures.

These men of war know each other, and after 14 episodes of Turn: Washington’s Spies, we know versions of them as well. That’s what makes the opening scene of “Sealed Fate,” a flashback set on the eve of the Revolution, so memorable and surprising: Washington and Rogers, in the same room. You could sense the danger, the bottled tension, and Washington’s wariness in meeting such a formidable and unpredictable potential adversary. This Rogers, whose calling card is a dagger, is not one to be trifled with.

As it was, Rogers offered his professional-killing services to Washington and the American army, but Washington knows too much about Rogers’ character—and the fact that the financially strapped Rogers has made similar overtures to the British. He simply can’t be trusted, so Washington has him arrested—a decision that backfires upon Rogers’ escape on his way to trial in New Hampshire.

Rogers has been muttering Washington’s name in contempt ever since, and in “Sealed Fate,” he finally exacts some retribution...

http://www.ew.com/recap/turn-washing...on-2-episode-5
post #68 of 68 Old Today, 07:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Boy, they just gloss over all that history between them. There was no title card or anything else to indicate that was a flashback scene, nor do we see Rodgers escape.

I put that one on the writers and director of that episode. Poor job there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page