"Turn" AMC HD Story of America's First Spy Ring - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 31Likes

Old 06-29-2016, 05:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This has become my favorite tv show, highly entertaining
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2016, 06:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked: 2628
Great season! Poor Andre. Dude stayed classy to the end. I like how the show has chosen to humanize some of the British officers like him and Hewlett instead of making them cardboard cutouts as a lesser show might have done. Speaking of cardboard cutouts, every show needs one or two and Simcoe is a delightfully evil villain in the mold of HoW's "Swede". I'd love to see them make him hard of hearing next year, constantly having to ask people to repeat themselves and tilting his head to his "good" side.

Seriously, a tiny bit of humor couldn't hurt. This show is nearly devoid of it, which is one of my only complaints.

Love what they did with Benedict Arnold, managed to acknowledge Nathan Hale (and corrected an historical fallacy), and even managed to squeeze in Alexander Hamilton! He seems to have become a lot more famous since Broadway discovered him.

And Woodhull makes another daring, last minute escape! All the threads that linked him to Culper have been tied off -- except for his family and "Robbie" Rogers, of course. Townsend has now declared he's all-in, so the ring survives to spy again! Glad they've gotten at least one more season. I'd like to see them finish it in the way they've planned.
Keenan, gwsat and slowbiscuit like this.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1621 Post(s)
Liked: 1696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
"Captain Simcoe ... you're a pathetic amateur" – Abe's Dad

Great finale! I hope it gets renewed. We need closure on the Simcoe storyline. And we also need to find out who wins the damn war.
Couldn't agree more! This was a great finale to another great season.

My only quibble was the handling of Peggy Arnold's "mad scene." The consensus of historians seems to be that Peggy Arnold put on a show of madness in order to give her husband time to get to New York and find refuge with the British fleet. History shows us that Peggy was a loyal wife, who bore Benedict Arnold five children. It is also true, though, that she was a member of a prominent Philadelphia loyalist family and knew Major Andre well. Anyway, I think the show has done a mostly great job of telling her story.

The dramatization of Andre's story is also well done. He was good soldier who died bravely.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
"Turn" AMC HD Story of America's First Spy Ring

My mother lives in Tarrytown, NY, which is situated along the Hudson River, and lies roughly midway between NYC and West Point. On the main road that runs north and south through Tarrytown, there is a large statue commemorating the spot where Andre was captured. I of course notice the statue and admire it when I am there, but thousands of people probably drive by there every day without a clue of its significance.

Last edited by jeffrey r; 06-29-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The real Simcoe
https://www.britannica.com/biography/John-Graves-Simcoe

Last edited by enigmascv; 06-29-2016 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmascv View Post
Pshaw! I like our Simcoe better.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Pshaw! I like our Simcoe better.
I have to admit, he makes a great bad guy!
archiguy likes this.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 34
The only thing about our Simcoe that I cringe: His voice...
Old 06-30-2016, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpileggi View Post
That's part of what makes his character so great. His voice is grating, high-pitched, and sing-song all at the same time. It's so perfect for his face, too. Brilliant!
gwsat likes this.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Yep, his voice and the actor that plays him are spot-on to fit this period. One of the greatest show villians ever IMO.

I hated him as a British regular but love to watch him as a King's Ranger, is that wrong??? LOL.

Will miss Andre, great character too and very well played. I hope we haven't seen the last of Hewlett either. The acting on this show is superb all around.

Last edited by slowbiscuit; 06-30-2016 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Maybe its those tight uniform pants..
Garrett Adams likes this.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Well the romantic in me hopes that Hewlett through events stays here. Realizing that the old world holds nothing of value for him comes to the conclusion that although it was a ruse the love of Anna is what he wants more than anything. As for Abraham he stays with Mary. He realizes that she has become a force of nature as we have seen and poor Simcoe has felt.. Her character has come a long way from season one where she was pretty much a whiny needy spouse..
Old 06-30-2016, 01:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Well the romantic in me hopes that Hewlett through events stays here. Realizing that the old world holds nothing of value for him comes to the conclusion that although it was a ruse the love of Anna is what he wants more than anything. As for Abraham he stays with Mary. He realizes that she has become a force of nature as we have seen and poor Simcoe has felt.. Her character has come a long way from season one where she was pretty much a whiny needy spouse..
Every character has grown and changed as the rebellion has progressed and history sweeps them along in its relentless current. So many great performances and attention to period detail. This show never gets mentioned when people talk about the "best" series on TV (kind of like 'Black Sails' in that way), but it should be somewhere on that list IMO.
gwsat, andwhatnot and Zookster like this.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 402
I purposely haven't read any of the real history behind this show because 1) I didn't want to catch any spoilers and 2) I didn't want to be constantly comparing or feeling disappointed when the show takes some literary license for dramatic purposes.

Basically all I remember from high school American history is that the colonists won the war with George Washington as general, eventually becoming the first US president. And Benedict Arnold was a traitor (thanks to a famous Brady Bunch episode ). Of course many of the names of people, battles, and locations and major incidents sound familiar, but I couldn't tell you any real history behind them or give you a timeline of events.

From some of the posts above, I'm very happy to hear that many of these characters are based on real people (Simcoe, Andre, etc.) and I will most definitely make a point of reading up on the history once the show has run its course.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1546 Post(s)
Liked: 1848
Finished off the Season on a Marathon Watch over the weekend .. some shows I like just seem even better that way, although it's tough to let it stack on the DVR ..

Great season, wonderful show .. if they end it after one more season, I think it will be tied off nicely .. AMC has done a great job so far with the material ..
mike1812, Keenan, gwsat and 1 others like this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement